User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-08-2012, 08:59 AM   #1
Super rider OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Problems with acewell charging

I recently installed an acewell on my bike. I used beckman's diagram but some of the wire colors didnt match. I have a 1975 75/6. Not sure what year or make his was. His diagram has green/black and blue going to the light. My bike has no green/black wire from the instrument cluster. I have a green/blue which I did hook up to the plain blue and run it to a seperate light. After using the bike for a couple of weeks I discovered I have a dead battery. I'm now wondering If I don't have that light hooked up with the proper wires, since that light is part of the charging system. I used a tester and figured out what all the other wires did so through process of elimination thats how I came up with the blue/green wire being the only possible wire. When riding it the last few weeks the light does come on for a few seconds after starting the bike, and then after revving the bike or riding it it goes of after a few seconds. Which I beleive is how its supposed to work. My question is simple, if anyone has done this on the same year and make model do I have the wires right? Is the blue/green wire the correct substitute for the green black wire in beckmans original diagram? Is the way the light is working the correct way? FYI i did use a real bulb and not an LED as bekman suggested so unless that's the wrong wire I dont know what else it would be. Ofcourse it could just be a coincidence and my battery died for an unrelated issue but it seems an awful big coincidence.
Addendum: yesterday the bike completely died on me on the side of the road. After sitting there for an hour the local BMW shop came and got me. As suspected the battery is dead and the bike isn't charging at all. The BMW mechanic had left for the day so I had to leave it. Therefore hopefully someone can answer my question before Monday so I can call the guy and tell him what to do before they charge me a fortune trying to figure it out.
Super rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 09:54 AM   #2
baldwithglasses
Godspeed, Robert

Oddometer: 795
Do you have you done in place of your charging light?
baldwithglasses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 03:35 PM   #3
Super rider OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldwithglasses View Post
Do you have you done in place of your charging light?
What?
Old 09-09-2012, 09:36 AM   #4
bmwhacker
Still on 3 wheels

Oddometer: 3,999
I used Beckmans diagram for guidance while installing my Acewell. I found that not all wires colors in my 1974 /6 harness matched the diagrams. I had a proper 1974 /6 wiring diagram so made sure "which wires were which" before splicing them in. Understanding the system and verifying the wires is a must when messing with the harness. I had a couple of wires (if memory serves me) which were different.
Since my Acewell had no provision for a charging light, I wired in a separate LED red light which I mounted in the headlight bucket. You likely need to take a step back and rewire the Acewell, verifying all the connections and the bikes harness wires. Improperly wiring the gauge could have damaged a charging system componant.(?)...or worse, could cook the Acewell.
You sure wouldn't want a "Dealer" to tear into your system on an hourly basis as that would be financially horrendous....better to sort it out yourself and then you'll know what's going on.

Living proof you shouldn't play with matches
ABC# 1992

bmwhacker screwed with this post 09-09-2012 at 09:45 AM
bmwhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 10:21 AM   #5
Super rider OP
Adventurer

What colOr we're the 2 wires that you ran to the charge light. And where did they cOme from?
Old 09-09-2012, 10:29 AM   #6
bmwhacker
Still on 3 wheels

Oddometer: 3,999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super rider View Post
What colOr we're the 2 wires that you ran to the charge light. And where did they cOme from?
The 1974 wiring harness is a "change over" year so might be different from the 1975 harness.
To the charging light:
Green with black stripe ......Blue with a yellow stripe.
They were the same wires which went to the stock "gen" light.

Living proof you shouldn't play with matches
ABC# 1992
bmwhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 10:40 AM   #7
Super rider OP
Adventurer

Yeah mine had no green black wire going to the instrument cluster at all even though my diagram shows there should be one coming from the fuse top fuse. The diagram shows a blue wire going to the charge indicator light which I do have and is consistent with beckmans diagram. But not green black. It does have a green blue like yours which is what I hooked up with the blue instead of the green black. Wierd
Old 09-09-2012, 11:06 AM   #8
Super rider OP
Adventurer

Although if it's the 2 wires in the diagram that went to the charge indicator light, on my diagram those are the green/blue and the blue. So according to my diagram the two wires that went to the charge indicator light are the same two I now have going to my separate charge light. So should be working. The green/black shows going from the top fuse to the volt meter.
Old 12-03-2012, 03:00 AM   #9
luxlogs
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 274
The LED is your problem, go to NAPA and get a TGA 10 idiot lite.
82 R65LS
92 R100GS
luxlogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 05:36 AM   #10
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?

Oddometer: 6,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super rider View Post
FYI i did use a real bulb and not an LED as bekman suggested
Quote:
Originally Posted by luxlogs View Post
The LED is your problem, go to NAPA and get a TGA 10 idiot lite.
Looking at your wiring diagram, the 2 you should have leaving the charge light are SOLID BLUE and GREEN WITH BLACK TRACER. The green/black wire is daisy chained into other light indicators. Brake, neutral, and oil pressure. Sound like someone may have been in your harness and hacked the green/blue wire in as I do not see that wire in your year bike. Chase the other lights and see how they are wired, as they all should have the green/black wire in common. Both wires will go to your starter relay if need to chase them.
hardwaregrrl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 02:48 PM   #11
bmweuro
Mad Scientist

Oddometer: 3,270
Super Rider. This was just talked about here http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=527749 Start ready my friend. The last couple of pages will answer your question.
VBMWMO #7770, BMW MOA #48694 & Airhead BMW Club #600
bmweuro is offline   Reply With Quote