Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-2012, 10:02 AM   #16
ADVNCW OP
Banned

Oddometer: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxmarcus View Post
Thanks for the pics and RR!
It's great to see more WABDR Folks on smaller bikes - and going solo. Sounds like you had a grand adventure!
Thanks. Yes, I enjoy the small bike, my HondaCRF230L. Loaded with my gear for WABDR it weighs about the same as a DR400 or the new CRF250L. It has downsides, but so far those are more acceptable for me than the alternative larger motorcycles. I rode a two-stroke GT750 in 40+ states and to Alaska on the gravel (then) AK Hwy and down to Baja. As well I owned a couple of powerful dirt bikes that I enjoyed, but do not need that for this type of riding. Size of the 230L makes it easy on dirt, the power characteristics as well are an advantage- I go plenty fast but the rear wheel roosting/ fishtailing is limited, and acceleration on the dirt roads is not so much as to get me too far into corners, on the edge. Just smooth traveling, skill involved is in being smooth and keeping momentum as opposed to big acceleration followed by hard braking. I use MTB techniques on the little 230L such as prejumping water bars and sailing right over without being thrown up, I prejump and hop over potholes and rocks. With that small motorcycle on the dirt and gravel I am comfortable with rear wheel drift, front wheel drift, both wheel drift- totally controllable. I got 73 MPG on the WABDR. I did not carry extra gas beyond the 2.3 gal stock tank.

Solo in the mountains is something I enjoy; I have a lot of days in the mountains to hike, ski, MTB. motorcycle. I do trips with wife and daughter (not motorcycle trips) and some with friends. But solo in the mountains as I have all of my life is very peaceful.

Glacier Peak viewed from Chumstick Mtn. above my home in Leavenworth.

ADVNCW screwed with this post 09-14-2012 at 10:24 AM
ADVNCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 01:31 PM   #17
blokkies
n00b

Oddometer: 4
That's so awesome you saw a moose and calf on the ride,. I had no idea there were any in WA state? Looks like a great ride - can't wait to ride it myself one of these days.
blokkies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 08:15 PM   #18
tmak
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
This one is close enough to home that I may have to make a long weekend of it. That is if the air ever get cleaned out, man its bad in your neck of the woods.
Old 09-26-2012, 10:14 PM   #19
ADVNCW OP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmak View Post
This one is close enough to home that I may have to make a long weekend of it. That is if the air ever get cleaned out, man its bad in your neck of the woods.
Yes, I am a smoke refugee, away from home now 2 weeks! Heading back tomorrow.

I have been riding the 230L Adventure from mountains to coast, slab, gravel, jeep trail, singletrack, today about 25 miles riding along the sand by the surf on the Pacific coast. With my camp (back packing gear + a few luxuries) and gear that adds 40 to 50 lbs, my 230L is still lighter than most any dual purpose motorcycle. I rode some single track yesterday, loaded, and turned on an 18 inch wide trail by running the front wheel up the high side and backing about 6 times. Try that with a heavy bike- would be a lot of work! Camping and hoteling. Family drove to Rainier NP and joined me for some hiking. The smoke 'does not bother' them. 230L has had 5800 miles put on it since I bought it last May! No worries, strong running little bike. pin it at 65 MPH for 70-100 miles between stops.

But I confess, I long for something smoother that can pull 70 MPH. Also, I worry that my little 230L will be weak on the CD next year in the Rockies. So I test rode a WR250R ME WANT!

ADVNCW screwed with this post 09-26-2012 at 10:21 PM
Old 11-07-2012, 11:30 PM   #20
BanhXeo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 334
Great trip ADVNCW! I think I'm going to try and make it up there next summer. I'll be in touch with details as the time approaches. Have a good friend in BC, so may ride as much dirt as possible going up, and come back down the coast. Would like to meet up and see your neck of the woods. Happy trails to ya my friend
This is my WIFE, here are my BIKES, and these are my STORIES: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=897188
BanhXeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 01:05 PM   #21
ADVNCW OP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanhXeo View Post
Great trip ADVNCW! I think I'm going to try and make it up there next summer. I'll be in touch with details as the time approaches. Have a good friend in BC, so may ride as much dirt as possible going up, and come back down the coast. Would like to meet up and see your neck of the woods. Happy trails to ya my friend
Yes, great thanks! I usually have 3-4 days per week to go ride with my work schedule, it would be fun to get out and see you on your excellent 350EXC! I have learned some great riding routes aside from the WABDR, and you will enjoy the mountains and singletrack here! Tenatively planning to go on the CDR starting the middle of August.

You could camp here, on the WABDR (if I show you...)-

We could ride Tronsen Ridge-

Local foothills--

Last week-

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=838121

I had two great trips to ride the beach on the WA and OR coasts! What a hoot cruising along the surf! Gotta have the weather, though...and I recommend going straight to the carwash after riding the beach, clean and oil the chain...and do not splash through any seawater...

ADVNCW screwed with this post 11-08-2012 at 10:42 PM