User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-09-2012, 02:38 PM   #1
thumper-darryl OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
Thumb Fast, easy, great suspension

Just got my 2010 F800 GS back from Anderwerks in Calgary. It is now a different bike. One phone call and they ordered up both the new Ohlins complete fork internals, and rear shock, both sprung and valved for my weight and riding style. They did the work and I was on the road with suspension equal to my re-worked KTM dirt bikes. The front fork dive that the 800 did on decell--gone, the rear squat under quick acceleration--gone, the chatter on wash-board--COMPLETELY gone. It does not even feel like the same bike. So this is not off-the-shelf parts, but kits from Ohlins USA re-worked for the customer. Amazing results and a simple process, with no playing around with fork oils, springs, valving. I have to do NOTHING, just ride it.
I had previously changed to heavier springs and played with fork oil, in an attempt to get the 800 to perform like my 2012 KTM dirt bikes(pro-action suspension), but it still was seriously lacking. I am looking forward to my first outing on de-activated logging roads with the 2 ft cross ditches. After hitting a couple of parking blocks with great results I know the cross ditches will no longer give me grey hair like they use to.
Great job Anderwerks, and Ohlins USA
thumper-darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 03:31 PM   #2
Jamm
Old man on 2 wheels

Oddometer: 215
looking forward to the review. How long did they have your bike and what did it set you back?
Jamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 08:06 PM   #3
thumper-darryl OP
Adventurer

Ohlins

You will need to contact Anderwerks for pricing as we did some parts swapping. Won't be much more of a review for a while as my 800 goes into a crate destined for Austraila tomorrow, but the short ride I did it was very impressive.
Old 09-09-2012, 08:08 PM   #4
sarathmenon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 656
So did you take the Ohlins TTX set that touratech sells, or was it something else customized?
sarathmenon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 09:51 PM   #5
thumper-darryl OP
Adventurer

Not sure what Touratech sells, but Anderwerks got complete fork internals and a complete shock both sprung and valved for me.
Old 09-10-2012, 01:38 AM   #6
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,585
Do all the F800 owners a solid and find out what they used for the forks, the Ohlins USA kit, or the Ohlins Europe new product thingy.

It's of no consequence to me because I gave up on the F800. But some of the others are still suffering, so put them out of their misery.

I got sick and tired of ringing and emailing importers and manufacturers who can't be fucked replying. I wont spend a cent with people like that.
Snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 05:47 AM   #7
machinebuilder
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 986
I looked at the Ohlins stuff.

Ohlins USA uses a NIX cartridge $1690 + $350 installation. they want to do the machining themself.

Its setup with rebound in one leg and compression on the other.

the shock is about $1200.

There is a thread somewhere here where I review the Traxxion Dynamics forks and Wilbers shock.

It does feel like a completely different bike with a good suspension.
Old 09-10-2012, 05:52 AM   #8
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,335
So,around 3250.00 for suspension?I can see how that would indeed be fast,easy,great. I found a freshly redone Ohlin's on Craigslist for my 300 KTM, It was fast/easy/great for 300.00 total.
Old 09-10-2012, 05:57 AM   #9
machinebuilder
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowy View Post
I got sick and tired of ringing and emailing importers and manufacturers who can't be fucked replying. I wont spend a cent with people like that.
That's why I didn't consider RaceTech, no response to emails
Old 09-10-2012, 08:03 AM   #10
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 3,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by machinebuilder View Post
That's why I didn't consider RaceTech, no response to emails
and that's why I consider the Level2 from Touratech. They always answere within the day and they are always super nice.

R1150GSA SE

Loutre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 08:30 AM   #11
machinebuilder
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
So,around 3250.00 for suspension?I can see how that would indeed be fast,easy,great. I found a freshly redone Ohlin's on Craigslist for my 300 KTM, It was fast/easy/great for 300.00 total.

There are less expensive options

the Traxxion Dynamics Fork upgrade was $1200 +$200install (I didn't have the time to do it)
there is a Bitubo Fork upgrade for about $600 (Reports here say it lasts about 10K mi)
You can change the oil and upgrade springs only for about $200 (does nothing for the poor valving)

Shocks all run about the same...........But if you don't get the Remote Preload and HI/Lo speed Compression adjusters you can get a Wilbers for about $570

It seems the Cartridge forks add a LOT of expense to upgrades.

I just didn't want to try something and be really dissapointed and then spend more going the next step. the othere suspension threads are full of people that did that. Some times you do get what you pay for.
Old 09-10-2012, 10:33 AM   #12
OlyRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,213
True, but...

" I just didn't want to try something and be really dissapointed and then spend more going the next step. the othere suspension threads are full of people that did that. Some times you do get what you pay for."

I bought old Husky 250 forks for $75, and used the internals to have my F800 forks rebuilt by a local dirt legend for $650. Revalved, re-sprung for my 210#. Also put a stiffer spring on the rear. Now I have adjustable *eveything* on the forks, and the bike was perfect from the start.

Very happy with the forks!!
Old 09-10-2012, 03:32 PM   #13
Bayner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,457
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlyRider View Post
" I just didn't want to try something and be really dissapointed and then spend more going the next step. the othere suspension threads are full of people that did that. Some times you do get what you pay for."

I bought old Husky 250 forks for $75, and used the internals to have my F800 forks rebuilt by a local dirt legend for $650. Revalved, re-sprung for my 210#. Also put a stiffer spring on the rear. Now I have adjustable *eveything* on the forks, and the bike was perfect from the start.

Very happy with the forks!!
Who did that for you (if you don't mind me asking, as I'm going the same route)?
Bayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 04:28 PM   #14
HappyHighwayman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 278
I just re-sprung my fork springs for $400 including parts and labor...I can't imagine spending another $3k on the bike since I'm pretty happy with it now.

Maybe if I knew I'd be putting 100k miles or more on it.
HappyHighwayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 09:09 PM   #15
thumper-darryl OP
Adventurer

Ohlins

Fork kit was about $1680 CDN but requires no machining just set up.
I tried the Bitubo set up and it was a bunch better than stock, but traveling tons of rough roads and dirt trails left me not happy with the bike since I was use to properly reworked KTM dirt bikes. Now I am totally in love with this bike, so spending close to $3000 was well worth it. But it all depends on how you ride and what your expectations are. I get to ride some reworked KTM dual sport bikes and I was even considering switching, but there was so much that I prefer about the F800 it made sense to spend on the 800 rather than spend trying to make a KTM what the 800 offers me in other areas. I ride with a couple of other 800 riders who are quite happy with stock for the way they ride and stock fills their expectation. That is also OK.