ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2013, 06:18 PM   #241
H14
I Gotta Go!

Oddometer: 4,548
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Young View Post
Trying to conjure up some interest with a few of the locals about heading down there the third or fourth weekend of July. Two of them have been there many times in the "old" days, and they're just as interested, as I am, to see the transformation. If they wuss out, I'm still planning on going.

Guy, if you do this on the third weekend in July and don't mind one more person tagging along I'd appreciate it if you keep me in mind.
2012 Riding the Continental Divide
H14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 06:34 PM   #242
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by H14 View Post
Guy, if you do this on the third weekend in July and don't mind one more person tagging along I'd appreciate it if you keep me in mind.
Kevin, of course I wouldn't mind you tagging along - silly boy. I'd love to have you join us - however - looks like it may be the fourth w/e. The others I have asked won't be available until then. I (literally) just suggested heading down on the 25th. (Thursday), ride the area Friday and Saturday, then head back Sunday.

Still waiting to hear back from them, but if that works out for you - please - come along.

Old 06-07-2013, 10:01 AM   #243
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Looks like a few of us "locals" will be headed down there for a long w/e of July 25th.

Not knowing if the TW of Suches' kitchen will be working full bore by then, so please tell me about Rider's Hill, since it wasn't around the last time I was down that way. We'll probably be getting in the late afternoon of the 25th. and will be looking for some vittles.

Old 06-07-2013, 11:31 AM   #244
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Looks like a few of us "locals" will be headed down there for a long w/e of July 25th.

Not knowing if the TW of Suches' kitchen will be working full bore by then, so please tell me about Rider's Hill, since it wasn't around the last time I was down that way. We'll probably be getting in the late afternoon of the 25th. and will be looking for some vittles.

Just found the website for Rider's Hill and the Six Gap Cafe, but looks like it may be closed by the time we get there. Guess we'll need to head all the way into Dahlonega and grab a bite somewhere.

Old 06-07-2013, 12:05 PM   #245
rush2112_2112
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 170
Check out Gustavo's on the square. Great food, service can be a hit or miss. He's a local rider so we support when we are there.
Old 06-07-2013, 01:31 PM   #246
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rush2112_2112 View Post
Check out Gustavo's on the square. Great food, service can be a hit or miss. He's a local rider so we support when we are there.
Many thanks for the suggestion.

Have eaten at several places in and around the square in years past, but will certainly take them into consideration once we get there. As road weary as we'll be, the "service" factor shouldn't be a problem; Good time to just chill.

Planned trip is a month off and I'm already getting pumped. In years past when I was travelling solo, after leaving work at 5:00 I'd usually make my way down to the campground across from the Pisgah Inn on the BRP, or go all the way to the BRMC. For this trip, think we'll head to the BRMC for the first night, then meanander our way down to Suches. Been a long time and I'm racking my brain to remember some of the great roads we travelled to get there. That was all pre-GPS and I'm sure some of them will come to me once I get in the area.

And now the question: Connie, or KLR?

Like I said, getting pumped.

Old 06-07-2013, 03:47 PM   #247
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,857
I may just go for a long ride that weekend and meet you guys there.

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 04:00 PM   #248
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by klaviator View Post
I may just go for a long ride that weekend and meet you guys there.
Hope you can make it. Have seen your posts over the years and would be nice to finally meet you.

I'll keep you informed as the time grows closer. I love that area and am looking forward to getting back down there after several years absence.

Best.........

Old 06-11-2013, 07:57 AM   #249
kitesurfer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,610
Quote:
FWIW - I received the following on FB in response to my question/comment to them regarding rates:

"Camping rates at the moment are $10 for a tent with up to 2 campers. It's so low because right now we don't have shower facilities. (though we have made arrangements to get you a shower within one mile if you are really dirty) Once the bath house is complete (hopefully before July 4) that rate will go to $18.,

"
$18 Is a little much for a tent site. compare to BRMC, WILLVILLE, DEALS GAP (THE Store), and IRONHORSE MC LOdge--$12 to $15 is my cap. i ride alone so expect to pay $9 , just like the couples who pay $18.
Old 06-12-2013, 06:25 PM   #250
Jake Mountain
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Tuna View Post
Thanks that's not that far to go visit from me
Jake Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 02:14 PM   #251
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,857
Stopped by on Saturday for a burger. The burger and fries was good and plenty to eat. They had added a few things to the lodge since I was there 2 weeks earlier.

The Menu:

A TV:

A few things on the walls:

There was a fair sized crowd but less than the old TWO normally got on such a nice day.

The GSP even stopped in to talk some riders with incorrectly mounted plates. No tickets were issued.

Progress is being made on the bath house. Bill said if everything goes perfectly it will be ready for 4rth of July weekend.

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 04:01 AM   #252
Laconic
Anodyne

Oddometer: 16,862
klaviator, thanks for those pics and the update. It looks like they have really put some serious effort into the whole place. That bath house looks like it is going to be the premiere shower facility in the region.
Laconic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 06:50 PM   #253
red bud OP
alky w/motorcycle problem

Oddometer: 5,401
saw the bath house sat night it's gonna be nice

be carefull ya never know what kinda deadbeats you'll see there

or bikes

"red bud has anyone ever told u you're bit of an ass" bmwblake

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=706516
red bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 03:17 PM   #254
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

It's a go

Unless hell freezes over between now and the 25th., three of us will be headed out early a.m., with the ultimate destination being TW of Suches.

Planning on spending Thurs. night at the BRMC, then head out Friday a.m. for the run down to Suches; route TBD.

Probably went down there 12 years straight in the fall for a COG rally a number of years ago..... and traveled on some really nice roads to get there. Problem now is that I can't remember half of them. I do remember Wayah Road, and may hit it on the way down just for old time sake.

Regardless, we're going and will get there eventually.

Old 07-15-2013, 04:02 PM   #255
Magnum1b
Magnum1b, yes I had one

Oddometer: 746
I rode up Sunday morning to breakfast and the Moto GP race. There was a pretty good crowd as these guys and gals were having a "reunion"

The place is really looking nice and Bill and the crew are doing their best to put out the welcome mat.

The bath house is not quite complete but facilities at the airport are still available till finished, hopefullu this week. Bill said they had fifty for dinner Saturday night including a couple on their honeymoon from Ohio on this F650 Funduro.
Magnum1b is offline   Reply With Quote