Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2012, 02:45 PM   #16
Twilight Error
Going nowhere slowly

Oddometer: 22,612
BTW, in case your ABS unit fails on the road and leaves you with the joke that is residual braking, you can connect the rear line directly to the rear master and tie the two sections of front line together through the junction fitting on the headstock. Doing so will result in a brake bleed, of course, but 10 minutes flushing air is far preferable to not having brakes.
Twilight Error is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 06:36 PM   #17
manfromthestix OP
Lost in Space

Oddometer: 2,181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilight Error View Post
BTW, in case your ABS unit fails on the road and leaves you with the joke that is residual braking, you can connect the rear line directly to the rear master and tie the two sections of front line together through the junction fitting on the headstock. Doing so will result in a brake bleed, of course, but 10 minutes flushing air is far preferable to not having brakes.
That's a very interesting fix, thanks for the tip!

The brakes on my 2001 (manufactured June 2000 according to the VIN plate) don't really need no stinking ABS pump to work really well. Since this problem manifested itself with the alternating flashing lights I haven't really missed the ABS. In fact, when I ride dirt/gravel I turn them off because they really do become dysfunctional under those conditions because the ABS tries too hard to limit wheel slip. I've been riding for almost 50 years and had 44 bikes so far. This is only my third bike with ABS, and while it's very nice and comforting to have, I am able to stop the bike quite handily without it. One reason I love the 2001 GS is precisely because it doesn't have linked servo-assisted brakes or CANBUS wiring, fewer things to go bad while providing all the other features I want in this type of motorcycle.

I still haven't had time to look into the flashing ABS fault lights issue. I've even read posts where people thought it was caused by something as mundane as a brake light bulb that was burnt out or in the process of failing. I'll post up what I find once I get it fixed!

Thanks for all the positive feedback! I've learned so much from this site and feel it's only right to give a little back when I can.

Doug
Old 09-11-2012, 07:37 PM   #18
Andrew
Optimus Primer

Oddometer: 15,320
Great thread, thanks.

You have motivated me to install the SS lines for my '00 GS that I bought, and then tucked away.
Old 12-11-2012, 10:39 AM   #19
Beard
Pro Blowhard

Oddometer: 39
great write up. thanks for the info.

any idea on how much brake fluid u used total, for flushing and refill?
Old 12-11-2012, 02:08 PM   #20
biometrics
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 141
Simply a fantastic write-up... another vote to put this in the Hall of Wisdom!
biometrics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:30 PM   #21
Snowbound
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 877
My rear line failed . My luck I was on my way to get an Aux. lighting problem fixed .
We removed the rubber hose ,and I rode to my favorite hydraulic line maker ( I had to work hard to keep from steping on the rear brake ) . I was lucky that I got there when there wasn't a waiting line as there was 30 minutes later . I walked out 45 minutes later with a stainless DOT rated line built to my specs . Put the line on bled it ,and off I went .
I flush and replace my fluid about once a year .I had the same fellow build the front lines because I added risers and a TT hard part . I like the lines ,and outof vanity I got to pick the color of the parts .
2001 R 1150 GS 1978 R 100RS 1976 XT-500 1964 CL-72
1955 CJ-5 1975 F-250 Highboy
Snowbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:38 PM   #22
Snowbound
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by manfromthestix View Post
What I really need is more TIME to mess with this stuff. Got any good ideas about where I can get some extra for a reasonable price?

Another project I'd like to do sometime is replace all the external fuel lines and put on a set of quick disconnects. It is a messy PITA to remove the tank without QD's, ughhhh. I saw an excellent thread about that recently but after this little job I'll have to save up some $$$ for a while to afford it. Sounds like that project would run around $175 or so.

Back to work, Doug.
Just did quick connects on my 1150 GS . Got the parts from BeemerBoneyard . If you are doing the work yourself ,ought to be under $100.00
Old 12-11-2012, 08:33 PM   #23
Beezer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,549
my Y2K did the same thing... crapped out lines & rubber locking the front brake & killing the ABS. the rear quit all together (expanding hose). the good news is if only the ABS quits on our "ABS II" bikes the brakes are not affected, we still have full power, only the ABS doesn't work.

quite a few bikes in the years around 2000 have had bad lines.
Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 06:14 AM   #24
manfromthestix OP
Lost in Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beard View Post
great write up. thanks for the info.

any idea on how much brake fluid u used total, for flushing and refill?
I initially bought a small (12 ounce?) bottle of fluid and then bought a second larger (32 ounce) bottle just so I'd have enough to REALLY flush the system. I think I used an amount equivalent to 2/3 of the larger bottle. It's the cheapest part of this effort, so I didn't mind buying too much. There's a photo at the beginning of the thread showing the bottle, I got it at Advance Auto.

Thanks for the positive comments!

Doug
Old 12-14-2012, 04:23 PM   #25
redwing51
Adventurer

Oddometer: 79
Do you have a good source for the stainless brake lines? I have a 2002 R1150GS and can find lines for only a non ABS bike. The 2001 lines won't work on my bike. Or so I am told. I have a email into Galfer but haven't heard back yet. I would also consider Speigler or any SS brake lines.
Very good thread. It encouraged me to check my brake lines. Of course I found a small leak when I tromped on rear brake..
redwing51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 06:55 PM   #26
Snowbound
Studly Adventurer

Get them made locally . Surely there has to be a qualified person within a hundred miles . Nothing against Spegler or the other manufacturer .If you look at high end customs and race machines , you will find the lines were made to order .
Old 12-14-2012, 07:33 PM   #27
Beezer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,549
yep... when my back line blew out I went to the local hydraulic/rubber hose shop and they made me one for $35. it's even DOT rated hose, made for brake line.

I shoulda done the fronts that way to, but my local good MC store had a set on hand & they were the first to go. I would have had to wait for a rear line... they built it while I watched.
Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 08:16 AM   #28
manfromthestix OP
Lost in Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwing51 View Post
Do you have a good source for the stainless brake lines? I have a 2002 R1150GS and can find lines for only a non ABS bike. The 2001 lines won't work on my bike. Or so I am told. I have a email into Galfer but haven't heard back yet. I would also consider Speigler or any SS brake lines.
Very good thread. It encouraged me to check my brake lines. Of course I found a small leak when I tromped on rear brake..
I searched for the proper parts on Spiegler's web site, then ordered through Bob's BMW. I suppose I could have had a custom set made locally, but I wouldn't know where to begin and I would have had to take the lines off and take them to the shop, etc. Rather than spend the time and effort to do that I just ordered a pre-made set specifically for my bike. I would be surprised if Speigler didn't have such a set for your 2002.

Doug
Old 01-04-2013, 10:14 AM   #29
AndyCap
Mineral Oil Anyone?

Oddometer: 1,461
Great thread. I am getting ready to replace all my lines with the Stainless lines because the front fender support has cut in to the front brake line a bit. I noticed that this past summer, and it left me really concerned.

Your picture by picture outline is really helpful. I love it when people on ADV do this. What a great source of knowledge.
ADV Pie Map
AndyCap is offline   Reply With Quote