Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2013, 04:31 PM   #361
Hewby OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 314
Smiling and full of wonder we headed back into Chile towards Torres Del Paine. The corrugations and dust started playing havoc with Alison, who was already under the weather, so we stopped in a beautiful free camp outside the park.

IMG_4676

GOPR4353

GOPR4357
Camping again on dusk outside the park, with views over Torres del Paine, and a few curious lamas to keep us company.
GOPR4359

IMG_4708

IMG_4717
Waking up to this one of the best mornings of my life.

IMG_4684

IMG_4695

Hewby screwed with this post 10-14-2013 at 04:48 PM
Hewby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 04:39 PM   #362
Ulyses
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 940
Love the pics Deb! They're making me want to get back on the road! Can't believe I missed you and Alisson Puerto Notales by a day.
Ulyses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 05:33 PM   #363
Hewby OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulyses View Post
Love the pics Deb! They're making me want to get back on the road! Can't believe I missed you and Alisson Puerto Notales by a day.
Thanks Bryce, they are giving me the same sense too!
Old 10-15-2013, 07:44 AM   #364
Cuttle
me? what?

Oddometer: 10,398
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewby View Post

Waking up to this one of the best mornings of my life.

absolutely love it!
Old 10-15-2013, 01:05 PM   #365
DustyRags
Idiot

Oddometer: 558
Amazing pictures! Man, I love this report!
DustyRags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 06:07 PM   #366
skibum69
slave to gravity

Oddometer: 5,266
Rock on! Thank you for the little uplift your pics gave me just before I head out for 3 months on tour in Taipei with no moto in sight for me.
RIP ITsteve, ride in peace my friend
save $5 on a new smugmug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk
skibum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 09:47 PM   #367
Hewby OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I could have stayed in Torres Del Paine forever. I had planned to do lots of hiking here when I had envisaged this trip, but somehow time had got away from me. We compromised and camped 2 nights in the park, doing a day walk and enjoying riding the beautiful roads. It is a place I endeavor to return to someday, both for riding and hiking.

IMG_4753

IMG_4768

IMG_4760

IMG_4813
IMG_4817
IMG_4792
IMG_4785
IMG_4840

Coming into the park we met up briefly with Fiona and Matt two Australians on 250’s riding the Americas from the bottom up. A brief but lovely encounter, in which I forgot to get a photo until it was too late.

IMG_4747

The seasons were turning and my favorite time of the year, autumn was starting to greet us. And, true to form, the mushrooms of the season were also popping up ready to grace our camp dinners, which they did many a night.

I am excited as always to find a giant puffball
IMG_4774
IMG_4832

Once again my luggage racks were giving me grief, and while I thought JB Weld might help, nothing but Alison’s extraordinary skills with tie downs held me together as I rode a few hundred beautiful km to Purto Natles and another welder.
IMG_4844

IMG_4846
IMG_4902.jpg
IMG_4925.jpg
IMG_4878.jpg
IMG_4881.jpg
IMG_4884.jpg
IMG_4941.jpg
Old 10-16-2013, 10:18 PM   #368
Hewby OP
Gnarly Adventurer

The race was on, leaving Puerto Natales late in the afternoon after having to make a detour to get my racks welded, we rode again till dusk set in, stopping at a tiny pull off on the side of the road, taking the opportunity to hang out all our newly washed clothes….
IMG_4950

Onwards to Rio Grand we stopped past this awesome ship wreak and I was able to score myself some nice looking mussels to cook up for dinner.
IMG_4973
IMG_4974
IMG_4975

As we were to cross back into Argentina, we met up with the wonderful Carlos again. He was riding back from Ushuaia with another biker, Michael, whom he had met on the road, who was also riding a 650gs. They were heading on to Punta Arenas where Michael dropping off his bike which he had already managed to sell to a local. Carlos heard of my timing and shipping dilemma, and assured me he could also sell my bike, for a good price and legally. He begged me to take my time in Ushuaia and enjoy the journey and visit the penguins! Not attempting the insane trip I had before me of touching Ushuaia tonight, with crazy windy and rainy weather looking to set in, and spending the next three days racing the 3000km back to Buenos Aires that I would need to do to ship the bike before my flight. My rear tire was balding, and I was terrified I was going to kill myself on the ride north pushing it too hard. Carlos news was a godsend. I felt he had saved my life. I could hardly contain my excitement. Alison and I went through the border with giddy smiles. We were so close. We might be able to sell our bikes (taking away the last headache of what to do with them), and I actually had some time to enjoy it.
GOPR4450

As we rode into the rain around Rio Grande we decided with our new news, and my new found breathing space, that we could call it a day, finding some lovely lodging at the Ruta 40 B&B, where discovered many of our friends had been before us. Alison’s bike was having battery starting issues again, so after a few push starts, so we ended up rolling it into the hostel.
The lovely owner, Willie welcomed us like this was our own home, checked on the safety of my mussels for me, and as with all his guests he took some photos of us, which I have lifted off his facebook site!

Old 10-17-2013, 08:37 PM   #369
OldTriumphRider
Livin the Dream

Oddometer: 113
beautiful pix

Been reading this report for ever , you make it so exciting, thank you for taking us alone on your journey!
OldTriumphRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 06:17 PM   #370
GuateRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,374
After all this time I'm still loving your pics and enjoying your writing
Old 10-21-2013, 09:42 PM   #371
Hewby OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldTriumphRider View Post
Been reading this report for ever , you make it so exciting, thank you for taking us alone on your journey!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuateRider View Post
After all this time I'm still loving your pics and enjoying your writing
Thanks for your patience! Getting there slowly!
Old 10-25-2013, 05:17 PM   #372
Hewby OP
Gnarly Adventurer

At last we were almost at Ushuaia. The place I had dreamed of arriving. The funny little point on a map that had encompassed all that was a dream. That, despite the need to ride out of Ushuaia, signified the end of the trip; the end of the road. The accomplishment of something that many times I did not think I could do. Coming down that road, I couldn’t help but continually stop to take in all around me; to enjoy the mountains, to take photos, to savor the excitement.
GOPR4471
P1070741

GOPR4470

We stopped at the sign for an obligatory photo our souls singing with joy.
IMG_5061.jpg
IMG_5069.jpg

We arrived in Ushuaia on International Women’s day, an unplanned, but fitting date to mark the completion of our journey. To celebrate our arrival we went out for a fancy meal celebrating our achievements. After 6 weeks of travelling together, Alison and I had skimped on eating out, instead foraged local food, cooked on our little camp stove, or cooked meals at host’s houses that had taken us in. This was indeed a treat.

IMG_5079.jpg

IMG_5080.jpg
IMG_5081.jpg
IMG_5083.jpg

Again I had hoped to take a berth on a boat down to Antarctica, but the lateness of the season, and a promise I had made to my father five years earlier that I would be home for my mothers 60th birthday, convinced me otherwise. Instead I hold a promise to myself that I will return to this part of the world, to hike further in Patagonia, and to cruise to the icy continent of the south.

So instead we took Carlos' advice and went on a boat day trip to see penguins. Though we found out later that he wanted us to take a different one that you could walk amongst the birds, and literally almost “kick a penguin” as he so kindly but hilariously put it, as they waddled through your legs and across your path. Another day!
P1070940
GOPR4476
_1070972

Our last leg of our journey south took us to the end of the road, down to the national park south of Ushuaia.

P1080165

While the sign said 17,848km to Alaska my odometer suggested that my journey was closer to 60,000km.

GOPR4497

It was a beautiful place, but a little disappointing that there was no ice in the water here!
P1080272
P1080265

From there we could only head north again with our trusty steeds, content with a sense of deep accomplishment.
GOPR4482
Old 10-25-2013, 05:30 PM   #373
enduro0125
Sticks and Stones™..

Oddometer: 13,412

Great report!
Old 10-26-2013, 11:21 AM   #374
Golden_Cliff
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Congratulation!

Thank you both of you for take us along and tank you for great RR.
Golden_Cliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 11:24 PM   #375
DustyRags
Idiot

Oddometer: 558
Wow. Thanks, Hewby! That's an amazing adventure, and amazing trip report! And you're amazing too!
DustyRags is offline   Reply With Quote