ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-10-2012, 04:54 PM   #1
dmac1 OP
Desert SW Luvr

Oddometer: 663
Campsite mess - Divide Area

Posted this on TT, but thought it would be best to get it both places.

I doubt anyone on this forum left the mess we found yesterday, but thought I'd post it up as a reminder (as if we need one) of how NOT to behave.

Its kinda hard to see in the pic, but the fire pit is totally full of beer cans and some other debris. There seemed to be at least 4 and maybe more CASES of beer cans in the fire pit. They've all been burned to some degree. Totally scary too regarding the size of the logs on the fire. The area is fairly dense with pine trees and a bonfire could easily have caught a neighboring tree on fire.

I don't need to tell most of you, but behavior like this will get our forests CLOSED. If I'd have had a trash bag I'd have went over later and cleaned it up. Totally disgusting in our view. If you can go clean it up, PM me and I'll tell you where it is. Its not too far from 362/363 jct. Likely it wasn't dirt bikers...unless they were of the young irresponsible variety.

There is also a big pile of ashes, broken glass, who knows what all that has been shovelled out of one or both the the big pits that should be eliminated. A shovel will be needed for this mess....and a heavy duty bag.

When I was into climbing, we went to an area that was regularly used for parties and we took a trash bag every trip to facilitate cleaning it up. Might have to start doing that again.
Old 09-10-2012, 04:57 PM   #2
Osprey!
a.k.a. Opie

Oddometer: 3,891
I often wonder what morons who toss plastic, metal, and glass into fire pits are thinking. I guess the answer is, "not much."
Old 09-10-2012, 05:24 PM   #3
modette
RMAR

Oddometer: 4,143
You think that's bad...LOL This was on FR318 / Mt Herman Rd two weeks back.

The persons belongings:

and yes I reported this, and was thanked by the USFS. Do your part and report areas and the rangers will go in and remove the trash...especially if its large piles.

Due to the pictures I took, and the personnel information (which I can not post like mailing addresses, Workmen Comp Claims with SSN's and a bunch of stuff) they are pursuing this in a legal manor. Chances are it was a spouse dumping the shit, thus he probably will be surprised to be handed a nice fat ticket.
modette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 05:24 PM   #4
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Oddometer: 8,849
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey! View Post
I often wonder what morons who toss plastic, metal, and glass into fire pits are thinking. I guess the answer is, "not much."
Just finished watching the movie "God Bless America". Not that I recommend their technique for dealing with douche bags like that, but it sure was fun (dark) fiction.

HellSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 05:27 PM   #5
modette
RMAR

Oddometer: 4,143
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellSickle View Post
Just finished watching the movie "God Bless America". Not that I recommend their technique for dealing with douche bags like that, but it sure was fun (dark) fiction.

yep it was a good flick...
modette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 05:56 PM   #6
nwcolorider
NWCOLO

Oddometer: 2,410
When ever we have the pick-up in the forest, say for hunting season. we always pack out way more that we take in. I always have a few trash bags that we throw stuff into. My son is now doing it. He went fishing Saturday, without me. And came back with two bags of stuff. And no there were no beer cans he said he just picked up.
nwcolorider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 07:04 PM   #7
Merfman
Trustin' my cape...

Oddometer: 787
Had exactly the same experience a few years ago in Divide as well. A group of about a dozen kids left their fire burning and we picked up 1/2 dozen bags of trash and carried them home. If these kids are the future, we're pretty f**ked IMHO.
And before anybody asks, we were all camped at the end of a dead end road and they had to drive by our camp to get to the road so yea, we saw them. In hindsight, license plate numbers would have been epic.
Merfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 07:21 PM   #8
Myfuture_yourdebt
Banned

Oddometer: 372
Sometime earlier this summer someone brought up a dozen full size paint cans and threw half of them against a rocky outcrop of Dakan Road in some avante garde art attempt by a drunken piece of trash. Of course they also threw some cans from their vehicle I'm guessing as they drove down the trail for about a half mile. Thankfully most of those didn't burst.

This sort of crap is horrific

Last year, I rode by a group of high school kids setting up camp as I was on the way to my own camp-site. Sure enough, when I left in the afternoon of the next day, there was A TON of trash strewn all over their camp-site and they were gone. Of course this was up Dakan as well. I'm glad I haven't recognized any of the kids (didn't get a good look) in town because I wasn't looking forward to explaining to an LEO why I was defecating under someone's windshield wipers

Anyone's else see the small truck that was driven off a rock quarry cliff then shot full of holes? What about the tow truck cab that's just hanging out on some hill, also full of bullet holes...I can't remember exactly where...Southern Rampart area, FR-325 ish. That stuff's pretty bad, too.
Myfuture_yourdebt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 08:37 PM   #9
dmac1 OP
Desert SW Luvr

Oddometer: 663
Vehicle parts left behind and the other stuff too is also bad. I did briefly poke around for some identifying info, and found a name in the other, clean, firepit, but figured that woudn't do any good and could very well be the name of one of the people who were currently camped there.

One time in Estes when we were 4x4ing we came across a mud hole that had been the scene of a drunken party. Hard liquor, beer, you name it, the bottles were everywhere in the area....as was the damage in the vicinity of the mud hole...along with the hood from one one of the vehicles. Last time I was up there the hood was still there.... but its been years now. My wife and I picked up everything else.

Always good to hear about other kids following in our footsteps and respecting the land...and our ability to enjoy it.

It was interesting where we were rock climbing and cleaning the trash. It was in Missouri and we suspected high school kids. When we first found the place it had year's worth of debris. It was on the top of a bluff with some pretty good views of a lake and very isolated. After numerous trips, we had it all cleaned up but there was most often some fresh stuff. Then summer came and all the kids returned from college and the messes became much worse...and got better again in the Fall. There was still stuff but not as much. We observed that pattern for a couple years....then the property was developed and we couldn't climb there any more. Anyway, it was clear that the college aged kids were worse than the high schoolers.
Old 09-10-2012, 10:21 PM   #10
GrizGirl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,335
We put a fire out at Coney Flats yesterday. Standing at the entrance to Indian Peaks wilderness I kept smelling smoke, which worried me. Finally figured out it was coming from a smoldering camp fire. The morons had left a large log on the fire pit and everything was still hot and trying to ignite. We took care of it - sure would have liked to have had a word with the morons who thought their fire was out..... You'd think in a summer with so many fires people would be more concerned with getting their fires out.
GrizGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 05:26 AM   #11
Gitana
A work in progress

Oddometer: 6,948
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellSickle View Post
We just rented that for next weekend. Have a feeling we're going to enjoy it.
2008 WR250R | 2008 DL650
Gitana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 09:59 AM   #12
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Oddometer: 8,849
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gitana View Post
We just rented that for next weekend. Have a feeling we're going to enjoy it.
Goldwait wrote some epic rants on the decay of the moral fabric of our civilization. You'll like it.

HellSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 02:26 PM   #13
29andSingle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 340
Wish I could say your the pic in OP was bad but unfortunately it isn't. I have given up camping off Mt Herman road. The amount of trash/spent casings/bottles/cans/domestic trash/diapers/fecal matter is beyond reprehensible. I teach my son to leave the forest cleaner than you found it but in no way am I having him pick up baby diapers and feminine products from a campsite. WTF is wrong with people? The worst places are always the "free" places which I can only assume is there is no one onsite to police the situation.
29andSingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 02:55 PM   #14
TNC
Candyass Camper

Oddometer: 4,588
Quote:
Originally Posted by 29andSingle View Post
Wish I could say your the pic in OP was bad but unfortunately it isn't. I have given up camping off Mt Herman road. The amount of trash/spent casings/bottles/cans/domestic trash/diapers/fecal matter is beyond reprehensible. I teach my son to leave the forest cleaner than you found it but in no way am I having him pick up baby diapers and feminine products from a campsite. WTF is wrong with people? The worst places are always the "free" places which I can only assume is there is no one onsite to police the situation.
I'd be interested in your take on the "free" places comment and "police the situation" comment. If I'm reading you correctly, are you suggesting that we should only be allowed to camp in places where we have to pay, and someone is there to "keep an eye on us?" Your mention of dirty diapers is very appropriate if that is your assessment.

There's a concept referred to as the "dirty diaper syndrome". It basically goes that because one person crapped in their pants, the rest of us will all be required to wear diapers from this point forward. This is a common and frequent reaction, usually more so by governmental entities than anyone else. It's the way our society has been reacting for decades now, and I'm sick to death of it. It seems we all have to live by the faults and standards of the lowest common denominator. It's no way to live and shouldn't be the gold standard in dealing with problems. No, I don't have the perfect solution for something like cretins trashing the outdoors, but I will just about bet that they are a definite minority of the scores of people who use the forests and other public lands. It's getting harder and harder to find free camping in "our" forests and BLM land, and I don't think the solution is to herd all of us into confined areas where "someone" can "police" us. At least it shouldn't be.

And 29...don't take my comment as an attack on you personally...especially if I misinterpreted your comment. The approach that I don't like is exactly what the USFS and BLM seem to be leaning toward.
TNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 05:10 PM   #15
DR-Bee
WTF?

Oddometer: 130
Some friends were over there, Crestone area, about a month ago and did a big hike and they left their folding chairs to come back to them GONE. Good thing the van was still there.