ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-24-2012, 11:27 PM   #376
jkstehn
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
Hours and hours of standing on the pegs through loose sand in the dry washes and on the "roads". But hey, it's a desert ride! :-)

Guess that goes for the constant blinding dust as well.

First time for me and I will be back.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

jkstehn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 02:42 AM   #377
RAZR OP
yup ima hairstylist

Oddometer: 8,678
tired and partied out.

a special thanks to District 37 Dual Sport peeps for once again throwing together the best ride all year!

Day 1 - 230 miles. all but the last hard way.

Day 2 - 300 miles. all hard ways.

all the ADV folks made it out safe. sore. but safe.

my bike took a beating like she was used to it. dialed. love this bike.

details/pics tomorrow when I'm not sloshed.

goodnight.
RAZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 07:17 AM   #378
johngil
Reseda, CA

Oddometer: 3,730
Laugh

The group of six for the ride home is now just me.
Please keep an eye on my SPOT until I get to Trona.
I won't be stopping for any reason between Shoshone and Trona other than mech problems. Spafxer and bigtodd have my tracks.
Running a little late, but that's another story.

Thanks
johngil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 07:46 AM   #379
traveltoad
Aaron S

Oddometer: 6,570
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngil View Post
I won't be stopping for any reason between Shoshone and Trona other than mech problems. Spafxer and bigtodd have my tracks.

Thanks
I'm around today if something comes up.
traveltoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:30 AM   #380
SE Steve
Super Noob

Oddometer: 211
First timer day one FAIL!! It was going ok most of the day, after section 6 got lost and ended up slabing it to Ridgecrest. I think it was section 13 my 950 SE decided she was done threw me down in the rock and the fuel pump took a shit.
Thought maybe I had broken ribs and shoulder. It didn't matter because to bike wouldn't run. I sent my riding partners on to make sure help was on the way no cell service. I spent 8 hour in that spot waiting to get picked up. I understand I was low priority as there where others injured way worse than me. Sweep riders have a thank less job but I would like to say thanks all of them for stopping and checking on me. Expecally Donnie who kept coming back to check on me while getting others out.
It was a beautiful night full moon lots of of shooting stars helicopters landing around me in the distance. Got to my hotel around 3 tried to sleep.
Got to urgent care 24 hours after crashing nothing is broke just bruised and battered.
I still had a good time and I have another adventure under my belt.

Things I think I learned about this ride.
1. Get started early early early this a lot of miles in the desert with sand and whoops.
2. Pack light but be prepared for the weather,and be prepared to survive until you get picked up.
3. Top off your water supply at every gas stop.
4. Look through all the paperwork you get at checkin we didn't realize there was a map of the whole days ride until after I crashed.

I'm planning on doing (trying) it again next year.
SE Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:56 AM   #381
RAZR OP
yup ima hairstylist

Oddometer: 8,678
Quote:
Originally Posted by SE Steve View Post
First timer day one FAIL!! It was going ok most of the day, after section 6 got lost and ended up slabing it to Ridgecrest. I think it was section 13 my 950 SE decided she was done threw me down in the rock and the fuel pump took a shit.
Thought maybe I had broken ribs and shoulder. It didn't matter because to bike wouldn't run. I sent my riding partners on to make sure help was on the way no cell service. I spent 8 hour in that spot waiting to get picked up. I understand I was low priority as there where others injured way worse than me. Sweep riders have a thank less job but I would like to say thanks all of them for stopping and checking on me. Expecally Donnie who kept coming back to check on me while getting others out.
It was a beautiful night full moon lots of of shooting stars helicopters landing around me in the distance. Got to my hotel around 3 tried to sleep.
Got to urgent care 24 hours after crashing nothing is broke just bruised and battered.
I still had a good time and I have another adventure under my belt.

Things I think I learned about this ride.
1. Get started early early early this a lot of miles in the desert with sand and whoops.
2. Pack light but be prepared for the weather,and be prepared to survive until you get picked up.
3. Top off your water supply at every gas stop.
4. Look through all the paperwork you get at checkin we didn't realize there was a map of the whole days ride until after I crashed.

I'm planning on doing (trying) it again next year.
yup.

and also add, be independent on the ride.
ride like it's an unsupported ride.
have your own gear/tools/tubes/food/water/etc.

we stopped to see if you guys were cool around 5PM. good to hear you're okay.

this ride is about survival... 500 miles in the desert. you and your bike need to survive the pounding of rocks, sand, whoops and silt.
RAZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:20 AM   #382
scorpion
Two arm bandit

Oddometer: 5,357

Ima survivor!

07 KTM 990 11 Husaberg 390
scorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:32 AM   #383
spafxer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,560
Hey Travel toad and Gil. 10:30 and I'm in the truck at Kramer Junction. I'll hang around this area until you get to Trona.
spafxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:41 AM   #384
russt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
First time LAB2V for me. Could only ride day 1 due to family commitments on Saturday. Thanks to RAZR for starting and maintaining this thread. And District 37 for a great event.

I only came off once in the sandy whoops the morning of the first day near the wind farms in Mojave. Tweaked my knee really bad. Kept riding wanting to finish and get to Barstow. That didn't happen. Had three rear flats through out the rest of the day! They sucked a lot of time. Only made it to Ridgecrest. First flat was a nail that I picked up. Second flat was tearing the valve stem, must have spun the tire, 16 psi proved too low without rim locks. Third was a pinch flat on 18 psi, just a few miles from Ridgecrest on that raised gravel section that looked like an old rail bed. Unlucky. Pulled the pin in Ridgecrest as the sweep had already gone through. Called for our truck and hung out in the Subway for a few hours.

Knee was stiff and hard to put weight on. Was going to wait and see how I did before going to the ER. Around 1am the pain and swelling was too much. Worried I had dislocated it I went to the ER. Good news was no fractures or dislocation. Bad news is torn meniscus and MCL. Splint, crutches, pain meds, and follow up with Orthopedic on Monday. Still made it to the family event on Saturday, on crutches.

Started preparing for for LAB2V 2013; ordered rim locks yesterday. Hope everyone made it home safe.
russt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:51 AM   #385
GK_The_German
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Did the ride last year and signed in this year. Unfortunately I couldn't do it due to my work situation.
I was watching BigTodd, JohnGil and JnyRav on 'whereamiriding.com'. So I was able to participate even sitting in Germany on the couch.

@RAZR 'Big respect on the fast ride. It was a pleasure to follow your Spot!!!'
See you all next year!!
GK_The_German is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:54 AM   #386
loner
explorer

Oddometer: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngil View Post

Thanks
Looks like John is headed for Butte Valley, it's all easy riding up to Mengel Pass. The Pass has more boulder blockage than usual, but Slideways and his son made it through on Friday with fully loaded 990's. I saw TBarstow Saturday morning, and he also went over the Pass on his way to PSR. My impression is that there is not a rideable line, dismounts would be required along with bulldogging the bike through. I'll be interested in hearing others experiences.
Old 11-25-2012, 12:06 PM   #387
DirtRider....
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 277
Day 1 fail... Borrowed bike day 2 success!!

First timer also.... Met up with Razr... Headed out early on day one... 20 miles into ride on the fire road my bike just dies... Razr waited until my chase truck arrived to evacuate my bike... Took it back to Palmdale cyclesports... Mechanic said there was only 35lbs of compression... Top end needed... Don't know extent of damage until they open it up.... They didn't have necessary parts to do the work... No charge for the diagnostics... They were very helpful and great guys!!!

My buddy offered me his bike for day 2 and I jumped at the chance... So drove all the way back to Orange County and grabbed his bike and made it to Barstow by 3...

Day 2. Razr and I started off Right at 6am... He was flying and I was fighting with a new to me bike with DOT lighting...lol. Didn't see Razr until baker... Guess he got lost before ludlow... Made it thru red rock... Red rock was fun but short...

Loved the ride... Some suggestions... Need single track, more sand... Lets go over the dunes!!! And less fire roads...lol.

Next year plan is to complete both days...lol.
DirtRider.... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 01:14 PM   #388
RawJaw
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
DirtRider - I think we sort of met in Ludlow. I let you pass me on the 990 a few times

AWESOME ride. My first District Dual Sport ride but lived up to everything I'd expect from my experience with District racing. Seemed light on whoops and rocks though.

Day one I rode all the red sections minus Last Chance Canyon. No issues. No dust and was in Barstow by 1:15. Julie said I was first bike in but I swear I got passed by a guy on a KTM with a VCMC sticker on the front number plate just before Barstow.

Day two - Started early, I think with RAZR (recognized your headlight). I took the first ADV alternate trying to save time for Red Rocks but then took the long way to Ludlow for gas when I could have made it to Rasor Rd. Got a little too spirited in the sand near Rasor Rd and swapped ends three or four times across the top of a few big whoops before getting thrown off. Fuck, that bike is heavy. The first ten miles out of Baker I just put my ass on my Giant Loop Great Basin and held it open. I must have been one of the only people to ride the gravel wash in the bottom of Lovell Canyon because there were fresh dozer tracks on the descent into the canyon and maybe two other sets of bike tracks. Helped two guys get back on the course at the bottom of Rocky Gap Rd that were suffering from the old I lost my buddy with the roll chart and my GPS stopped working. Thanks for the push! It would be nice to hit that rock garden with a fresh body sometime. Beautiful descent at the perfect time of day out of Red Rocks. Finished at around 3:15.

Slabbed it home. Yawn.

Next year - 1) Make friends go 2) Smaller bike! 3) Truck home.

Thanks to Tim and Matt at Inside Line Moto for the awesome work on my bike!

RawJaw screwed with this post 11-25-2012 at 06:22 PM
RawJaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 01:17 PM   #389
KG6BWS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 895
Quote:
Originally Posted by SE Steve View Post
First timer day one FAIL!!
Damn that woulda been nice to know. A friend of mine broke down at hwy 138 not far after the start. A friend was bringing up another bike for him, but since the sweeps and everyone else had passed, he was all buy himself. He was going to slab it to Barstow to catch up. Since I had nothing better to do, I rode with him so that he had a partner, he didnt want to do all that dirt by himself. We ended up getting lost out at the top of Manzanita Canyon, turned around, and he slabbed the rest of the way into Barstow from there. This was his first time with a roll chart, and we didnt realize the sweepers were picking up trail markers as they went thru. Wish I had known about the map, woulda made life easier. I had gps and a mapbook with me.

I may enter next year, see what happens. Although if I do Id sign up for the Adventure route. We were on the Easy route, and while it wasnt all that bad, the sand in some places was murderous on my pig of a Dakar.

Justin
01 F650GS Dakar
KG6BWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 02:48 PM   #390
speedygee68
dirt eater

Oddometer: 218
Thumb

and also add, be independent on the ride.
ride like it's an unsupported ride.
have your own gear/tools/tubes/food/water/etc.

this ride is about survival... 500 miles in the desert. you and your bike need to survive the pounding of rocks, sand, whoops and silt.[/QUOTE]

1st timer also. An experience I'll never forget. Met Big Todd out in the middle of nowhere. Great guy. Wish I could have met up with you later to buy you that beer. I learned a lot of things on this ride and how I will do it differently next year. The main thing...LEAVE EARLY!! I trailed CA STU for awhile on day 2.(We have the same kind of bike) But I stopped to wait for my riding buddy (lost 45 minutes). My buddy folded at Baker and slabbed it to Vegas. So then I rode solo, but by then was to late for hard stuff. Met 2 more riding buddies on there Trail 90's in Baker. You guys rock!!

This was a very well planned event by D37. And I met more great people throughout the event. But thanks to "2 wheels good" for the riding tips. Came in handy during the crazy ass sand sections.
speedygee68 is offline   Reply With Quote