ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-26-2012, 11:55 AM   #406
johngil
Reseda, CA

Oddometer: 3,776
Probably around 900 miles. My wheel sensor backed out and I lost both odometers on day two.
Yesterday's ride was incredible. No whoops! As always, Death Valley was amazing.
johngil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 12:21 PM   #407
RAZR OP
yup ima hairstylist

Oddometer: 8,813
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngil View Post
Probably around 900 miles. My wheel sensor backed out and I lost both odometers on day two.
Yesterday's ride was incredible. No whoops! As always, Death Valley was amazing.
RAZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 12:56 PM   #408
scorpion
Two arm bandit

Oddometer: 5,372
Another one in the bag. Many thanks to all my riding buddies! Leaving Las Vegas now ride report when I recover

I love the desert

07 KTM 990 11 Husaberg 390
scorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 01:03 PM   #409
bigtodd
Hi, wanna ride?

Oddometer: 1,421
Quote:

You are the MAN! Watching your spot from the cab of John Rav's truck going home was impressive. At one point sitting in traffic, we both thought you might beat us home.

SPOT - bigtodd - where I at now?
bigtodd.whereamiriding.com
bigtodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 02:52 PM   #410
1224R
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,887
Dave, Roy , Lior , Charles , and Ami great riding with yas!!!!!!! Next year!!!!!
Old 11-26-2012, 02:57 PM   #411
benwiggin2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,093
Quote:
post pictures of the beanie that you won!
benwiggin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 03:06 PM   #412
adventureduo
n00b

Oddometer: 9
My buddy and I were the ones that did it on the Honda Trail 90's.

2 blown engines, 2 flats, 1 melted fuel line with thankfully no engine fire, broken turn signal, broken rack, etc etc etc.

I have no idea how we made it but we did.

Tread Lightly! Trainer | Pack it in! Pack it out!>>> www.trasharoo.com
adventureduo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 03:30 PM   #413
byh
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventureduo View Post
My buddy and I were the ones that did it on the Honda Trail 90's.

2 blown engines, 2 flats, 1 melted fuel line with thankfully no engine fire, broken turn signal, broken rack, etc etc etc.

I have no idea how we made it but we did.
Congratulations! I was on a CRF100 and my riding buddy was on a TTR125. It would have been cool to run some of the trail together with more little bikes.
Old 11-26-2012, 06:06 PM   #414
dzrtracin
ride'n 2 live

Oddometer: 2,679
Quote:
Nice john, noticed you missed Pahrump though

RIDE ON!
Old 11-26-2012, 06:12 PM   #415
CA Stu
Thanks

Oddometer: 46,765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben99r1 View Post
Stu. What bike did you use?
Husky TE 610

Scorpion has a picture of me in Red Rock, he better post it up!
Old 11-26-2012, 07:02 PM   #416
Rossbike
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Two great days in the desert. Thanks to the D37 guys and gals for putting on a first rate event. This was my 8th year running and I already started the planning for next year.

Day one was great if a bit dusty and filled with flat tires for me. Changed the back three times and finally got back on the trail after being awarded the first "Final sweep has passed you" card. Jumped back on at Cuddyback and made it to Barstow by 5. Had a fun day one even with the flats. I do feel bad for all the injured riders on Friday. I don't remember seeing as much carnage before and even saw one helicopter evac circling a rider in the sand whoops. Thanks to the rider that gave me a new tube and to the guys that helped muscle that Desert IT back on the rim. I already paid that tube forward and someone else gained a new tube to complete day two.

Day two I slabbed to Baker and rode the easy ways to Redrock and got there before the ribbons were out. Had fun riding the rocks and was able to play tourist and take pictures in the canyon verses just trying to make time before darkness sets in. Made it to the Orleans by 3:15. We skipped the traffic and drove home today.

The ride is a lesson in time management and if your willing to skip a section or take a easy route when your running behind you'll have a great time and get in before dark. The LC4 400 gained a few battle scars and will require a new left radiator and new rim tape to replace the surgical tape. Another epic LA - B to Vegas in the memory book.

I can't wait to see some of the video from all the GoPro riders.
Rossbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:32 PM   #417
jkstehn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
First ride, and WOW, what a great time and what a great bunch of folks organizing and supporting this ride. It was great to put some faces with the names on ADV. Thanks to all of you, especially the sweep riders who put together the recovery of all the broken and injured riders. With more than 20 years of Search and Rescue experience I think I am qualified to give you all a high five. It was great having the Rescue 3 crew and a helicopter show up after kneeling in the dust with an injured rider for more than an hour, and later having a jeep go in to pick up a rider with at least a concussion, and possible shoulder, rib and pelvis injuries.

For the weekend, I had 1187.4 miles round trip from San Pedro. I had originally planned on riding back from Vegas with John Gil and others but needed sleep. So after a really good nights sleep, and consequently a late start, I decided to go for it, but ended up coming out of Goler Wash into Panamint valley at dusk with dozens of bats flitting about as I disturbed the bugs. Not ideal, but it was an amazing experience running the trail at night, from Panamint up and over into Trona. I ran a pair of ADVmonster model 60s and was comfortable running up to 25-30 mph with them on full bright. Awesome and highly recommended. They survived some good hits, after a dozen or more drops and even hitting a small Joshua Tree at about 20mph all I ended up with is a bent bracket.

Sand, sand, sand and stopping with injured riders led to going around and a late finish on day 1. Sand, sand, sand and hidden rocks led to slow travel and lack of energy and time to make it to Red Rock. Even after skipping some sections on day 2 to try to make up time, safety was the deciding factor and exhausted, we decided to bail out to the pavement for fear of joining the injured list.

Unforgettable weekend and adventure. Thanks to all!!! Can't wait for next year.

Took the following picture looking East over the Butte Valley from the Coyote Canyon trail.

jkstehn screwed with this post 11-26-2012 at 08:43 PM
jkstehn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:14 PM   #418
johngil
Reseda, CA

Oddometer: 3,776
Nice!

Only been riding for a year? Wow!
johngil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:39 PM   #419
jkstehn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
Quote:
Nice!

Only been riding for a year? Wow!
Figured I was in Vegas so I might as well go all in and have the full adventure weekend.

Three points where I seriously questioned my sanity though. The last climb to Mengel Pass, the barely visible trail of nothing but loose round rocks after turning west to head into the wash out of Panamint and the first big hill climb after leaving the wash.

11 hours Vegas to Lancaster. Thank you for the tracks and the inspiration.

Looking forward to going back to Death Valley.

jkstehn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:03 PM   #420
FuzzyNugs
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
First LAB2V for me and it was definitely an experience to remember. I slabbed it up Thursday evening from Oceanside to Palmdale and got what sleep I could. Apologies to jkstehn are due. I had planned to ride with him, but was a bit late starting that morning and ended up missing the boat. Fate would have it though, at the gps table I ran into Strega and 2 other San Diego guys who I'd ridden the Desert Dash with back in Feb. They offered to ride so I jumped at the chance because at this point I didn't have a riding partner.

We got a late start because they were working the gps stuff and took a shortcut to the first gas stop to begin our easy ways ride. I was immediately overtaken with the deep sand and whoops but quickly remembered what to do and fell into a groove. We made lots of stops and took our time shedding clothing and whatnot. Once into the rocky sections, the low hanging DR engine decided to kiss the ground a few times. One hit must have been pretty spectacular because it bent the plate and mounting brackets to the point where it was rattling and ready to come off. I managed a trailside fix and kept going. Zip ties would secure it on day 2.

Good guys to ride with

Only dropped it once over both days... trying to stage a photo op

Much better. Last hour of daylight, time to gas it.

We didn't make it out by dark and I played follow the brakelight for another hour before taking a shortcut to Barstow for some food and rest.

Day 2 left me feeling a bit left out as in half the ride left out. We thought we'd start early by 7am to ensure we finish by dark only to be told by those at the leaving check to head straight to Baker if we wanted any chance of making Vegas before the sun sets. So we did.

60 miles of freezing up I-15 and then we went straight into the deep sand with hidden rock monsters beneath. That cleared up before long and then it was a long stretch of pole line road, which was nice to relax on for a bit.

Pretty sandy/rocky section leaving out of Baker. Luckily it was a wide lane to drift back and forth on. We followed jrozar for a bit here before scooting past.

We made Sandy Valley by 11am easily, grabbed our lunch and gas and punched out. From here it was more easy dirt roads to Goodsprings and that's when I realized I was no longer with my GoPro Here is the last known time I had it at about the halfway point from Sandy Valley to Goodsprings. Mounted to my tailrack and it snapped the mounting arm right in half.

Saving grace was that the next trail leaving Goodsprings was pretty rocky and fun for me. Then we hit the highway...wait are we done already? It's hardly past noon! Made it to Vegas by 1 before the check in was setup so we grabbed some celebratory beers for the parking lot. We finished with 4 more hours of daylight plus if you add in the hour it took to get to Baker that makes 5 hours we could have used to ride the first 130 miles section. I understand not wanting to chase people down in the dark, but I would have rather started and then taken bailouts later in the day if we really needed to make up time. If I ever do this again I'll be sure to start EARLY!!

Had a nice dinner at the Prime Rib Loft and then went to the banquet. I didn't realize there were so many people and didn't feel like waiting around to see if I 'd win anything. As nice as that is it's just...boring. Went back and had a few more drinks before calling it a night.

Left Vegas early Sunday and returned to Goodsprings in hopes of finding my GoPro. I went up and down the section of trail where I am positive I lost it at 5 mph scanning. Then once more up and back at a slow riding pace...nothing. My only hope is that another rider scooped it up and hears that I'm looking for one. I would like that footage more than anything.
Leaving Goodsprings after an unsuccessful GoPro search.

Lastly, I got back on I-15S which had become a parking lot at this point. From Jean to Primm, I thought I'd blow by the traffic on the little side dirt road paralleling the highway. Everything was fine until the sudden drainage ditch. I hit the brakes too hard and went down on my side doing a forward roll in the process and tearing my earbuds out of my helmet. My only saving grace is that it must have been pretty damned funny for everyone stuck in traffic to watch.

This was a very fun ride, but very expensive for me in the end as well. I'd love to do it again and do the whole thing, but money and time will decide that. See ya all out there.
FuzzyNugs is offline   Reply With Quote