Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2012, 05:31 PM   #46
Dustodust
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 791
and while we are on the subject ; why is the top of the motor at the heads not mounted to the frame ? ( there are mount threads cut )

and why does no one make some rails with a plate between them that clamp on from the truss near the steering head that run under the motor like a cradle to form true engine protection ?

and why does the headlight reflect light not just forward but upward in front of the bike where it is not needed blinding you in fog or dust ?

and why is the sidestand mounted to the motor ?

and why is the frame so wide at the steering head that it makes it so difficult to maneuver in tight off road situations ?

why !

why !

why !
Old 09-24-2012, 11:35 PM   #47
hilslamer
2XRedheadedstepchild

Oddometer: 1,785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Pig View Post
I appreciate the tips Tim, but I have been riding it like this for 4/5 years without issues. The bike has been re-sprung and re-valved by SuperPlush for my riding weight and style.

I must have hit a rock (no major dings in the skid plate) or more likely a rise in the trail.

I don't plan on altering my riding habits and curbing my fun, I'll just have to pay to play.

I still think KTM could have done a better job on the skid-plate design by incorporating a smaller removable sub-frame that is not connected to the oil tank or the radiator. That is just silly.
If you have been airing out your SE or any other 400+lb bike for 4-5 years on any sort of a regular schedule, perhaps you should measure the spring rates again and consider a suspension oil change on ~30-40 hour intervals. That's at a minimum. The springs and suspension valving shims, despite having been SuperPlushed, are likely badly fatigued and freshening them all up will mean more than you might think if you have not already. Very few people credit springs with fatigue unless they fail entirely, which is a major oversight and especially in the case of an SE suspension spring or shim.

Keep an eye on the headstock of the frame for cracks, too; they fatigue just the same. Same goes for the upper shock mount and footpeg mounts. I have no idea how hard you are re-entering the atmosphere on your SE but it sounds like this may just be the first of a long string of fatigue-life issues that cannot possibly be construed as "design flaws" in my eyes.

Lastly, I don't think that you got my earlier comment: the oil tank IS the "subframe"(structural element). If you are bottoming the skid plate hard enough that you are encountering what you have already, think of what happened to the radiator as the "fuse" in the system and avoid the situation. You cannot possibly expect ANY skid plate to take the full brunt of the suspended weight of you and the bike from free-fall and not either fold up itself or transmit the loads to other members, be they radiators or not, without some sort of failure that absorbs the energy of the impact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mookymoo View Post
The only sure solution is to relocate the oil tank & mount the bash plate to the frame/engine mounts.
It's been done - can't remember who now... ;)
So...what fails in that case with a similar impact?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustodust View Post
and while we are on the subject ; why is the top of the motor at the heads not mounted to the frame ? ( there are mount threads cut )
Because TOO much rigidity is a detriment, unless you want to feel each and every jolt that the wheels and suspension cannot soak up. Look at an SXF versus and XCF, and not the lack of the headstay(despite machining on the frame/cylinder heads for such) and the explanation is before you...some flex and "give" is part of the tuning of the motorcycle, part of the "suspension," so-to-speak...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustodust View Post
and why does no one make some rails with a plate between them that clamp on from the truss near the steering head that run under the motor like a cradle to form true engine protection ?

and why does the headlight reflect light not just forward but upward in front of the bike where it is not needed blinding you in fog or dust ?

and why is the sidestand mounted to the motor ?

and why is the frame so wide at the steering head that it makes it so difficult to maneuver in tight off road situations ?

why !

why !

why !
Why have so many people raced, rallied and ridden these bikes far faster and longer than most and yet not encountered failures as a result of any of these "flaws?" I can only suggest an answer: because they are more than likely conscious of them and work/ride around the "problems." ANY bike has weaknesses and vulnerabilities; you have to know them and ride around them to be a truly good rider. Expecting complete indestructability out of any motorcycle is simply not realistic; even a KLR650 can be hurt somehow. If you bottom the skidplate of any modern motocross bike hard enough, you can expect something to give - frame, engine mounts, etc. This is not a "flaw," it is the result of abuse beyond design margins.
hilslamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 05:29 AM   #48
BIG-E
AKA; Mongo-E

Oddometer: 1,988
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountain eagle View Post
Hmm, costs less than the black dog one..... Says Grand Total $331.80 shipped.............

Guard it skid plate....

Good thing I've not bothered to get anything beyond stock as of yet. Also good that I've not done that much real off road with it too......
"Out of stock"

Does this mean they are going to make more?? Does anyone have one to sell? Does anyone know where a portly guy can get one? (ok, a fat guy)

Thanks, Eric.

Hi-Ya-Tim.

"If my Technique Improves, so will my riding"!
BIG-E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 05:38 AM   #49
traveltoad
Aaron S

Oddometer: 6,567
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG-E View Post
"Out of stock"

Does this mean they are going to make more?? Does anyone have one to sell? Does anyone know where a portly guy can get one? (ok, a fat guy)

Thanks, Eric.

Hi-Ya-Tim.
I can't say 100% for sure, but based on my email conversation over the last couple days with the Adv Spec guys... it seems they are now gone for good.

traveltoad screwed with this post 09-25-2012 at 05:47 AM
traveltoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 06:08 AM   #50
BIG-E
AKA; Mongo-E

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveltoad View Post
I can't say 100% for sure, but based on my email conversation over the last couple days with the Adv Spec guys... it seems they are now gone for good.
I have been in touch with a member here, LAKEMONSTER, and he is making a run of 12 or so for the SE, his design looks really good and I am just about to pull the trigger with him. His plate mounts at 2 points and has the oil tank bolts but doesn't relie on them at all. He sent me some pictures, but I can't seem to get them to post. I sent them to KTMSER maybe he can post them?

Thanks Guy's.

Old 09-25-2012, 07:29 AM   #51
traveltoad
Aaron S

Quote:
I sent them to KTMSER maybe he can post them?

Thanks Guy's.
If not... I can.
Old 09-25-2012, 08:32 AM   #52
v8toilet
Nothing to see here.

Oddometer: 1,709
Cry

I'm not going to advocate for or against a 'stronger' skid plate.

Something in the machine has to give when there is a significant impact. I agree that the radiator is probably not an ideal place for a 'crumple-zone'. While a skid plate mounted to more rigid points on the bike will stand up to more than one mounted to the oil tank, what part will fail when the hit is too big? I don't have the answer but something somewhere is going to break, the question is where will it fail?

If the engine mounts take the shock are we risking revisiting the side-stand issue with cracked cases? When and if the 'better' designed plate fails or causes damage will it be a design flaw?

All that aside I banged my BDCW skidplate this weekend hard on the same water trough deals Yellow Pig damaged his on and I cringed and then forced myself to slow down....

I will look at the G-It and Adv-Spec though as this mounting has always bothered me.
v8toilet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 10:13 AM   #53
mattc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 410
I have bought some strips of 1" x 1/8"steel and an going to reinforce my BDCW plate like was shown earlier in the thread. These will add some rigidity but still be able to give enough to not do any harm elsewhere.
Old 09-25-2012, 10:18 AM   #54
traveltoad
Aaron S

BIG-E's photos.

Good looking bash plate!

This last one looks like and Adv bash plate... but the engine mount points should be the same.
Old 09-25-2012, 10:31 AM   #55
BIG-E
AKA; Mongo-E

Thanks TT!

The first 2 are before the powder coating and the 3rd. one is all done up. The 4th is for an adventure. This is also the vented model, Mike can make it with or without the vents.

Again, this is the work of LAKEMONSTER, I asked him to chime in here.

I think this is the way to GO!!!

Old 09-25-2012, 03:10 PM   #56
mookymoo
Mookish Mook

Oddometer: 4,371
Quote:
I have been in touch with a member here, LAKEMONSTER, and he is making a run of 12 or so for the SE, his design looks really good and I am just about to pull the trigger with him. His plate mounts at 2 points and has the oil tank bolts but doesn't relie on them at all. He sent me some pictures, but I can't seem to get them to post. I sent them to KTMSER maybe he can post them?

Thanks Guy's.
What kind of cost?
Is there a vendor link?
mookymoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 03:42 PM   #57
GoNOW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,447
On my 950, I have an 04 S with the suspension done so smacking the ground is not something I do often. The stock skid plate has been holding up, even to this.

So, maybe you guys need to look into getting your suspension reworked so you are not smacking the bottom of the bike so hard.
GoNOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 05:50 PM   #58
Hondo
What if its a Samsquamch?

Oddometer: 9,071
That is a great looking skidplate- tell your SE friends!

"Life's an adventure, and I refuse to live a boring one."

Hondo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 07:02 PM   #59
mattc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 410
Yea, that plate does look very nice. How about a pic of the left side?
Old 09-25-2012, 07:37 PM   #60
v8toilet
Nothing to see here.

Oddometer: 1,709
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoNOW View Post
On my 950, I have an 04 S with the suspension done so smacking the ground is not something I do often. The stock skid plate has been holding up, even to this.

So, maybe you guys need to look into getting your suspension reworked so you are not smacking the bottom of the bike so hard.
Those of us who are complaining have had them reworked
v8toilet is offline   Reply With Quote