User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2015, 06:58 PM   #1
Bucho OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,914
HELP, DR650 valve adjustment gone wrong

I've had a DR650 for ten years. I'm NOT a mechanic but w/ a little help from an ADV thread I've been doing my own valve adjustments since the beginning. Anyway, my DR has been pretty neglected for the past few years. I've sold my big street bike and now I'm trying to bring her back to life. Part of what sidelined it was an electrical problem, ( I have a knowledgable buddy who will be helping me w/ that).
Anyway, w/ my DR in his heated garage I started doing all the little things to get my bike back into tip top shape. I started doing the valve adjustment. I did the intake side and no problems.

Then I open up the exhaust side and this is what I see...

I was able to spot the nut and fish it out. However, the screw/adjuster thingee is still MIA. Its obviously hard to see in there, pretty tight.

I started to pull off the entire top to see if I could see the missing part. But after removing all the bolts I wasn't able to get it off. I know there is probably a silicone sealant or something, but I was a little nervous to start hitting it really hard w/ a flat head screw driver and a rubber mallet.

Help. Please.

Save me from myself and having to take it to a shop.

I did also post this in the DR650 thread.

Bucho screwed with this post 01-29-2015 at 07:05 PM
Bucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 10:07 PM   #2
gunut75
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
Do you mean the bolts from the valve cover?

If you are talking valve cover, make sure you have all of them out. Shouldn't take too much to get the cover off of there.

85 Suzuki SP600 tard project (in progress)
gunut75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 11:47 PM   #3
Beezer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,735
theres probably still a fastener somewhere. give it a bonk... it should come off. befor you do though, you will prolly want to be TDC, compression stroke, and take the cam chain tensioner loose (and reset it). if you don't have a manual, get one so you get the torques right when you reassemble. speaking of torque... thats why the locknut came off... low torque. I set manual valves with firm wrench pressure, then torque it to spec.

hopefully the adjuster didn't go down the chain tunnel
Old 01-30-2015, 04:42 PM   #4
MrPulldown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,156
Don't forget the bolts that are under the valve cover. What is the total bolt count for the cover? Don't miss any before you start bonking. I know always start to wack it with a rubber mallet and realize that I had forgotten a bolt or two.
MrPulldown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 04:49 PM   #5
damurph
Cold Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,751
Magnetic fish tool could solve your problem.
Old 01-30-2015, 05:56 PM   #6
Bucho OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,914
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPulldown View Post
Don't forget the bolts that are under the valve cover. What is the total bolt count for the cover? Don't miss any before you start bonking. I know always start to wack it with a rubber mallet and realize that I had forgotten a bolt or two.

Yes, it was pointed out to me on another thread, that I forgot the bolts inside the valve covers.
Ill see how it goes in the morning.
Bucho is offline   Reply With Quote