Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2013, 12:50 PM   #1531
krussell
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 535
Downsized my Pelican to a 2200, it's better for my needs. If someone wants the 2450, predrilled for the Husky rear rack, PM me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krussell View Post
Wanted a top case for the Strada, but didn't want to part with the $300-400 for the Husky Givi stuff. Went with a Pelican 2450 IM2450, $122 + $8 of stuff from the local hardware store. Pretty happy with the result, but the storm has a lot of flex in the bottom. Will likely end up doing some sort of plate to stiffen the bottom.

The rack pulls off easily, four T45 screws and it's off. They bottom of the rack has wells for nuts at three locations, a M8 nut fits perfectly. I scoped things out visually, confirmed with a few measurements, and then started drilling. Picked up M8-25 bolts, flat and fender washers, and M8 nuts. The wells for the nut prevent the case being removed without access to the inside of the case.

Husky calls for 19NM of torque on the rack mounting bolts, they had blue thread lock which I replaced. The box can be removed easily without removing the rack.

On to the pics...

The bike without the rack.

The box box.

The bare rack.

The hardware.

The nut wells.

[IMG]http://krussell.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/strada/i-dKP7FQx/0/L/009-L.jpg[IMG]

Voiding the warranty on the case.

Finished product from the inside.

Bottom view.

Finished views

Old 01-11-2013, 01:43 PM   #1532
Trail Boss
World's fastest slowrider

Oddometer: 690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidc83 View Post
Where you guys getting the numbers for the vstrom hp?
All of the performance numbers I have posted are from Motorcycle Consumer News. They are the motorcycling industry's version of Consumer Reports. Every motorcycle they test is subjected to the same battery of tests. Every year they publish a performance index of all the bikes they have tested. Here is a link to last year's performance index.

"Nice bike. Have you taken her to Mexico? All bikes want their owners to take them there" - tricepilot

Texas Adventure
Trail Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 03:13 PM   #1533
TheMuffinMan
Forest Ranger Magnet

Oddometer: 5,632
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Tiger View Post
What was the power difference between the 654cc KTM 690 and the 2012 on 690cc versions?
4hp, 62 vs 66

These are at the crank of course.
TheMuffinMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 03:42 PM   #1534
hambone650rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
Come on

Dang didn't realize this was the dual sport drag race thread.. If this keeps up I'm gonna suck start pistol damn..
hambone650rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 08:33 PM   #1535
davorallyfan
Commonist

Oddometer: 15,844
Quote:
Originally Posted by farp View Post
I finally placed an order for a Terra yesterday, but what a screw-around I went through. Check this out. There is a BMW/Husky dealer located about 20 minutes from my house. I have been phoning them every week or so for the last 3 months asking about the Terra and when they would have them in stock. First it was early Nov, then it was late Nov, then the middle of Dec, then early Jan for sure. Phoned them up yesterday and they still didn't have them and the salesman finally admitted to me that they hadn't even ordered them yet but said I could put a $1000 deposit on one if I wanted and I'd be sure to get the first one they got in. I asked him if I placed the deposit would he be able to give me assurance about when they'd be in and he said no. I then asked him if I made a deposit would that get them to order the bikes. Again the answer was no. He said there was some kind of issue with Husky Canada and they would not be ordering the bikes until it was resolved and he had no idea when that would be. *&$^&^$%%^# bulllshit!!!!!

So I phoned the next nearest dealer who happens to be located in Victoria on Vancouver Island. They didn't have them either but said they would order one for me and would check availability and let me know. About a half an hour later they called me back and said they found one in Toronto and could have it here in about one to two weeks, but they'd require a $1000 deposit before they ordered it. Put the deposit on my Mastercard and should be able to post a first ride report by the end of the month. Finally!!! So now all I gotta do is take a 1 1/2 hour ferry ride to Vancouver Island to buy a bike I've never seen. Sure hope it's as good as you guys have been saying it is.

I think you will be happy.

It has a few niggly bits and fiddles needed, but it is basically sound.

It is a swift, smooth, sleek machine.

I took mine in for its first service, they gave me a wee strom courtesy bike. I think wees are great bikes (ugly and heavy yes) it vibed more than the Terra.

davorallyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:53 AM   #1536
farp
DualsportBC Rider

Oddometer: 67
[QUOTE=davorallyfan;20460889]I think you will be happy.

It has a few niggly bits and fiddles needed, but it is basically sound.

It is a swift, smooth, sleek machine.

I took mine in for its first service, they gave me a wee strom courtesy bike. I think wees are great bikes (ugly and heavy yes) it vibed more than the Terra.

QUOTE]

Thanks davorallyfan. I'm trading in my Versys on the Terra. The wee strom is quite close to the Versys in terms of acceleration and top speed. How did you find the Terra compared to the wee strom in that respect? The other thing I'd be interested to find out is how well the Terra is suited for long days on asphalt. Would 10 hours on the highway be tolerable? Also, what niggly bits and fiddles need attention?

John
farp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:55 AM   #1537
rcd389
GSARIDER

Oddometer: 10
Routing Battery Tender cable

Hi guys! I have a Terra and bought a Battery Tender for it. I attached the cable to the battery but I could not find a good place to route the cable so that I can connect/disconnect the Battery Tender easily. It is very tight under the seat because of the gas tank.
Right now I pop the seat off and charge but that is already getting old. If anyone has any ideas I would sure like to hear them.

Thanks!
rcd389 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 10:44 AM   #1538
krussell
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 535
Quote:
The other thing I'd be interested to find out is how well the Terra is suited for long days on asphalt. Would 10 hours on the highway be tolerable? Also, what niggly bits and fiddles need attention?

John

I've done a couple of sixes. The bike is very comfortable. Some folks have put slightly larger windscreens on, I prefer it stock. Tolerable? Absolutely!
Old 01-12-2013, 11:57 AM   #1539
toowheels
on a mission...

Oddometer: 952
Quote:
I finally placed an order for a Terra yesterday, but what a screw-around I went through. Check this out. There is a BMW/Husky dealer located about 20 minutes from my house. I have been phoning them every week or so for the last 3 months asking about the Terra and when they would have them in stock. First it was early Nov, then it was late Nov, then the middle of Dec, then early Jan for sure. Phoned them up yesterday and they still didn't have them and the salesman finally admitted to me that they hadn't even ordered them yet but said I could put a $1000 deposit on one if I wanted and I'd be sure to get the first one they got in. I asked him if I placed the deposit would he be able to give me assurance about when they'd be in and he said no. I then asked him if I made a deposit would that get them to order the bikes. Again the answer was no. He said there was some kind of issue with Husky Canada and they would not be ordering the bikes until it was resolved and he had no idea when that would be. *&$^&^$%%^# bulllshit!!!!!

So I phoned the next nearest dealer who happens to be located in Victoria on Vancouver Island. They didn't have them either but said they would order one for me and would check availability and let me know. About a half an hour later they called me back and said they found one in Toronto and could have it here in about one to two weeks, but they'd require a $1000 deposit before they ordered it. Put the deposit on my Mastercard and should be able to post a first ride report by the end of the month. Finally!!! So now all I gotta do is take a 1 1/2 hour ferry ride to Vancouver Island to buy a bike I've never seen. Sure hope it's as good as you guys have been saying it is.
Hey farp,

The fact that BMG who was doing Husky for Canada went bankrupt last year has really screwed things up as I'm sure you know. That's not to say you shouldn't get better answers though.
Now that it's being done by BMW up here things should be smoothed out properly. I too am waiting to see the bike and finally at the Van show we will, and hopefully the supply chain and issues from the past will be sorted too....otherwise the US will scoop all our bikes!

BTW the upside is now your bike can be assembled and tuned by a real Dakar caliber mechanic!

Dave
Old 01-12-2013, 12:17 PM   #1540
farp
DualsportBC Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by toowheels View Post
Hey farp,

The fact that BMG who was doing Husky for Canada went bankrupt last year has really screwed things up as I'm sure you know. That's not to say you shouldn't get better answers though.
Now that it's being done by BMW up here things should be smoothed out properly. I too am waiting to see the bike and finally at the Van show we will, and hopefully the supply chain and issues from the past will be sorted too....otherwise the US will scoop all our bikes!

BTW the upside is now your bike can be assembled and tuned by a real Dakar caliber mechanic!

Dave
Hey Dave, are you saying that you'll be able to service the Terra? You'll definitely get my business if you can

The last time I talked to the local dealer (2 days ago) they hadn't even placed their order with Husky and didn't know when they would. The guy I talked to said it was very doubtful that they'd have one for the bike show. If everything goes unbelievably well with my order at Island BMW there is a small chance that I could have it in time for the bike show. I'd love to put it on display at the DSBC booth and invite the local dealer to come and take a look at it. After the run around they gave me that'd be the icing on the cake. The main reason I went to the Victoria dealer was that I became uneasy about the local dealers ability to deliver. I knew that other dealers in Canada were selling the bike, and when the Victoria dealer said they could get one with no problems I really became concerned and ordered it from them. I suspect that there's some kind of a problem with the local dealer but I don't know for sure. But when other dealers can deliver the bike and our local dealer can't or won't it sure stinks.

John
Old 01-12-2013, 01:36 PM   #1541
toowheels
on a mission...

Oddometer: 952
Quote:
Hey Dave, are you saying that you'll be able to service the Terra? You'll definitely get my business if you can

The last time I talked to the local dealer (2 days ago) they hadn't even placed their order with Husky and didn't know when they would. The guy I talked to said it was very doubtful that they'd have one for the bike show. If everything goes unbelievably well with my order at Island BMW there is a small chance that I could have it in time for the bike show. I'd love to put it on display at the DSBC booth and invite the local dealer to come and take a look at it. After the run around they gave me that'd be the icing on the cake. The main reason I went to the Victoria dealer was that I became uneasy about the local dealers ability to deliver. I knew that other dealers in Canada were selling the bike, and when the Victoria dealer said they could get one with no problems I really became concerned and ordered it from them. I suspect that there's some kind of a problem with the local dealer but I don't know for sure. But when other dealers can deliver the bike and our local dealer can't or won't it sure stinks.

John
No not me!! Bernie at Island BMW!! I knew that's who you meant when you posted and it just so happens I was talking to them this week about the bike. They mentioned they've sold one (didn't say to who). I don't want to say too much but Island used to carry Husky as you know. Then they stopped before the "fallout" and they are looking at getting it again. The fact that they're getting you one is great!

As for the local dealer they never stopped carrying Husky and when it all fell apart last year they got left "holding the bag" somewhat as all the current Husky dealers did. I don't claim to know all the inside details on everything, just saying what I know.

BMW does have a Terra and Strada both for their display at the show with the whole Husky line of course.

Dave
Old 01-12-2013, 02:00 PM   #1542
farp
DualsportBC Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by toowheels View Post
No not me!! Bernie at Island BMW!! I knew that's who you meant when you posted and it just so happens I was talking to them this week about the bike. They mentioned they've sold one (didn't say to who). I don't want to say too much but Island used to carry Husky as you know. Then they stopped before the "fallout" and they are looking at getting it again. The fact that they're getting you one is great!

As for the local dealer they never stopped carrying Husky and when it all fell apart last year they got left "holding the bag" somewhat as all the current Husky dealers did. I don't claim to know all the inside details on everything, just saying what I know.

BMW does have a Terra and Strada both for their display at the show with the whole Husky line of course.

Dave
Thanks, Dave, that clears up some of the confusion. Maybe I shouldn't be so impatient with the local dealer but this is the 3rd time I've tried to buy a bike from them and it's the 3rd time it's gone sour and it's getting a little much. See ya at the show.

John
Old 01-12-2013, 05:05 PM   #1543
K1W1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,573
Quote:
. Again the answer was no. He said there was some kind of issue with Husky Canada and they would not be ordering the bikes until it was resolved and he had no idea when that would be. *&$^&^$%%^# bulllshit!!!!!
Generally that translates to "we are on credit hold with our supplier and they will not accept orders from us until we pay them money which we don't have"
Be very careful about dealing with stores that give this sort of run around.
K1W1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 05:35 PM   #1544
Royal Tiger
Pz VI B, Sd Kfz 182

Oddometer: 1,379
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMuffinMan View Post
4hp, 62 vs 66

These are at the crank of course.
Thanks MM.
Old 01-12-2013, 06:02 PM   #1545
bobnoxious67
Baby steps...

Oddometer: 2,451
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcd389 View Post
Hi guys! I have a Terra and bought a Battery Tender for it. I attached the cable to the battery but I could not find a good place to route the cable so that I can connect/disconnect the Battery Tender easily. It is very tight under the seat because of the gas tank.
Right now I pop the seat off and charge but that is already getting old. If anyone has any ideas I would sure like to hear them.

Thanks!
Why do you need to charge the battery so often? My bikes sit for weeks at a time without issues...
09 TE450
bobnoxious67 is offline   Reply With Quote