Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2013, 09:43 PM   #1561
njoytheride
NJOYN' THE JOURNEY

Oddometer: 856
Picked it up last Friday and still haven't taken it out for a long ride. "hope to fix that this weekend" have a slight cold thing going on, trying to get my other two bikes ready to sell and the whole work thing keeps getting in the way.See a lot of great miles ahead on this bike. Let me know if your ever in the area. A cheeseburger and buttermilk pie from Oark General Store sure sounds good..Craig
njoytheride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 05:56 AM   #1562
HighFive
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,669
Quote:
Originally Posted by njoytheride View Post
A cheeseburger and buttermilk pie from Oark General Store sure sounds good..Craig
Hhhmmm......you're right. By tomorrow morning, I'll be hallucinating for it thanks to you.

Saddle up those horses!

HF
Athena Big Bore Project WRRDualsport.com
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 05:58 AM   #1563
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 7,850
Just left Sasakwa in route back to NC. Had to ask the wife how big Muskogee was. I really didn't expect anywhere outside of OKC or Tulsa to have a Husky dealership. Some time in Sasakwa has me wondering why everyone rides Harley's. That place is screaming for a TR650!

Sent from the voices in my head and transcribed by their drinking buddy...

Clinging to sanity, one motorcycle at a time.
RidingDonkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 06:43 AM   #1564
lstehbens
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
Bigger fuel tank soon

Just an FYI, can't see it in the past couple of pages.

On the Aussie Husqvarna site they say they have a "large fuel tank under development". So for those that like to travel further might be a factory option soon.

They also have $500 off Aussie Husqvarna's at the moment, still costs $9500 Aus to purchase though :(
lstehbens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:10 AM   #1565
trapperj
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 470
I am thinking of buying a new husky. Sorta like the color of the Strada and wouldn't mind having abs either..(I am getting old) anyway...my question is how expensive/difficult would it be to add spoked wheels to the bike if i go with the Strada? Could I buy wheels used from a 650 BMW? Will they bolt up without any issues? I know i would need a fender...but that's simple enough. Just trying to plan ahead. Also thinking since the terras are selling better..(at least here) ...the dealer might deal a little better on the Strada ? Thoughts anyone?
trapperj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:09 AM   #1566
TheMuffinMan
Forest Ranger Magnet

Oddometer: 5,465
Quote:
Originally Posted by trapperj View Post
I am thinking of buying a new husky. Sorta like the color of the Strada and wouldn't mind having abs either..(I am getting old) anyway...my question is how expensive/difficult would it be to add spoked wheels to the bike if i go with the Strada? Could I buy wheels used from a 650 BMW? Will they bolt up without any issues? I know i would need a fender...but that's simple enough. Just trying to plan ahead. Also thinking since the terras are selling better..(at least here) ...the dealer might deal a little better on the Strada ? Thoughts anyone?
Contact Woody's Wheel Works and they can get you sorted out. Awesome people and high quality.

http://www.woodyswheelworks.com/
TheMuffinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:31 AM   #1567
krussell
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 444
Quote:
I had a similar sort of strategy, and I didn't think it all the way through or I would not have bought the Husky. If you are buying the Husky based on how it looks, or the extra horsepower they've extracted from the Rotax 650, then you really don't have other options. If you are looking for a 650 single with ABS suitable for the street and light offroad, the BMW Sertao may be the better option. The devil is in the details:

TR650 Strada / Sertao

Range @ 55MPH = 196mi / 273mi
Mileage = 55mpg / 74mpg
Fuel = premium / regular
Weight = 410 / 425 (keep in mind Sertao has skid plate, hand guards, windshield, ...)
Suspension travel = 7.5" / 8.3"
Price $7500/$8650 (much more likely to get a deal on a Sertao)

Tools Husky ? - many earlier buyers did not get tools / Sertao, yes
Service manual? Husky - dealer provided PDF / Sertao, $125 dvd, orderable part
Service computer? Husky - dealer tool only / Sertao, dealer tool OR $350 GS-911 for owners
Rear preload? Husky - very tight, requires punch/hammer or wrench / Sertao, twist a knob
Warranty? Husky 1yr, BMW 3 yr 36kmi with towing etc.
Power outlet? Husky -no, BMW stock.
Resale?

To get the Strada ready to go you have to add:
- skid plate
- hand guards
- windshield (maybe)
- some sort of fix for the rear fender weakness
- some tools
- power connection for heated gear
- spoke wheels/tires

You can leave on the Sertao from the show room. Keep in mind the skidplate, hand guards etc. are a bit lighter than what you may add to the Strada, but they are likely sufficient for light duty off road work.

So, you can spend $1150 more on the Sertao and get to riding, or you can save $1150 and start your Strada project that you'll likely spend at least $1500 on.

The Strada is a great road bike stock. I think it's much better looking than the Sertao.

krussell screwed with this post 01-18-2013 at 04:01 PM
krussell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:31 AM   #1568
trapperj
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks

Thank youthemuffinman!
Old 01-18-2013, 11:38 AM   #1569
farp
DualsportBC Rider

Oddometer: 65
Last week I put down a deposit on the Terra and I expect to get it in a couple of weeks. Yesterday I actually got to see one and sit on it at the Vancouver Motorcycle Show. I really liked the bike and I think it will suit me perfectly except for one thing. I have a 31 in inseam and found the seat to be about an inch and a half too high. Does anybody know if there are any mods that will get the seat height down to around 33 inches, or perhaps a little lower?
farp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:39 AM   #1570
trapperj
Gnarly Adventurer

Oh no...something else to consider

Thank you too kRussell. I have a r1200gs that gets most my time but have looked at the 650s since 2001 or so(bmw)..,Maybe I have spent too much time trying to think this through. He husky is packaged up nice enough I reckon..but the warranty is huge (bmw) and resale maybe? I kinda sorta have a revolving door policy with bikes so worst case is ....I won't have it long.
Old 01-18-2013, 12:29 PM   #1571
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by krussell View Post
I had a similar sort of strategy, and I didn't think it all the way through or I would not have bought the Husky. If you are buying the Husky based on how it looks, or the extra horsepower they've extracted from the Rotax 650, then you really don't have other options. If you are looking for a 650 single with ABS suitable for the street and light offroad, the BMW Sertao may be the better option. The devil is in the details:

TR650 Strada / Sertao

Range @ 55MPH = 196mi / 273mi
Mileage = 55mpg / 74mpg
Fuel = premium / regular
Weight = 410 / 425 (keep in mind Sertao has skid plate, hand guards, windshield, ...)
Suspension travel = 7.5" / 8.3"
Alternator output = 350 / 400watts
Price $7500/$8650 (much more likely to get a deal on a Sertao)

Tools Husky ? - many earlier buyers did not get tools / Sertao, yes
Service manual? Husky - dealer provided PDF / Sertao, $125 dvd, orderable part
Service computer? Husky - dealer tool only / Sertao, dealer tool OR $350 GS-911 for owners
Rear preload? Husky - very tight, requires punch/hammer or wrench / Sertao, twist a knob
Warranty? Husky 1yr, BMW 3 yr 36kmi with towing etc.
Power outlet? Husky -no, BMW stock.
Resale?

To get the Strada ready to go you have to add:
- skid plate
- hand guards
- windshield (maybe)
- some sort of fix for the rear fender weakness
- some tools
- power connection for heated gear
- spoke wheels/tires

You can leave on the Sertao from the show room. Keep in mind the skidplate, hand guards etc. are a bit lighter than what you may add to the Strada, but they are likely sufficient for light duty off road work.

So, you can spend $1150 more on the Sertao and get to riding, or you can save $1150 and start your Strada project that you'll likely spend at least $1500 on.

The Strada is a great road bike stock. I think it's much better looking than the Sertao.
Very good comparo ... and really raises important questions. Would you consider switching over to the Sertao? Or do you plan to stick it out with your Husky? My only critic is to remind that "better looking" is a subjective area. (but I don't disagree with your opinion ... just shouldn't be considered a valid black mark against the BMW, IMO)

I'm surprised BMW have not extended the BMW 3 year warranty policies over to Husqvarna. I wonder if they will make a change and match the BMW 3 year warranty in future for Husqvarna? Big selling point, yes?

In the end ... the proof is in the RIDING. Have you ridden the Sertao?
I'd like to read back to back comparisons. I'm sure the mags will cover this eventually ... but prefer actual owners' opinions.

Would also like to see the mags extend the test field ... and take well set DR650, KLR, XR-L (not stock) and compare those to both the Husky and Sertao.

Like I said in an earlier post ... I await results regards the Terra after some HARD use and HIGH mileage. They are beautiful bikes .. no question ... but just how tough? how reliable? how expensive to own once warranty is finished?

Cheers, Not a Pioneer ....
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 02:31 PM   #1572
Gryphon12
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,280
I'm not surprised by this comparison at all. In fact, I think that it is just what BMW wants you to realize. They won't increase the Husky warranty, because this is one of the distinguishing factors between Husky and BMW, and one reason for the price difference. To BMW's way of thinking, the Husky is a shorter-range, day touring bike. The Sertao is a longer-range, distance tourer. Then step up to the F800GS and finally the R12GS. It is a continuum. The Husky offers a new, lower-priced entry point to the "BMW family".

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world;
indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Gryphon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 02:42 PM   #1573
K1W1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by krussell View Post
TR650 Strada / Sertao

Alternator output = 350 / 400watts
Minor points simply for the sake of accuracy.

The Strada has a 400W alternator output. At least in Australia they do and I can't see why they would have different alternators in different countries.

Also according to Australian specs the Strada will do 270 miles at 90 kph (55 mph) and get the same US mpg as you quote for the Serato.

K1W1 screwed with this post 01-18-2013 at 02:52 PM
K1W1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 02:45 PM   #1574
K1W1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,463
Quote:
Could I buy wheels used from a 650 BMW?
Seeing as the front hub of the Terra is quite clearly marked with a BMW roundel I suspect it won't be too hard to use BMW parts.

K1W1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 03:57 PM   #1575
krussell
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
In the end ... the proof is in the RIDING. Have you ridden the Sertao?
Too long ago to remember enough to make a direct comparison. I'll fix that later this year.