Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2013, 04:01 PM   #1576
krussell
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by K1W1 View Post
Minor points simply for the sake of accuracy.

The Strada has a 400W alternator output. At least in Australia they do and I can't see why they would have different alternators in different countries.

Also according to Australian specs the Strada will do 270 miles at 90 kph (55 mph) and get the same US mpg as you quote for the Serato.
Good catch on the alternator, my mistake, original edited.

As far as mileage, be careful, they seem to toss around imperial and us gallons pretty loosely. I know that the US spec is "as much as 55MPG" for the Husky and 74MPG for the Sertao. My real world Strada mileage is about 48 over the first 2200 miles.
Old 01-18-2013, 04:06 PM   #1577
krussell
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Would you consider switching over to the Sertao? Or do you plan to stick it out with your Husky?
I've already incurred a year of depreciation on the Strada, so I'll ride it for at least a year. And I think it's an awesome street bike, which is what it's targeted at. If it turns out to be reliable, I'll likely keep it 'til it quits.

I bought a WR250R for off pavement stuff, and I have loads of fun stuff within an hour of pavement, so the WR will get me there fine and is what I likely want to be on when I get there anyway.

My main point was that if I had it to do over again, I would have "compromised" and bought a Sertao to serve both purposes.
Old 01-18-2013, 04:09 PM   #1578
krussell
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Seeing as the front hub of the Terra is quite clearly marked with a BMW roundel I suspect it won't be too hard to use BMW parts.

I'd be interested in seeing how the ABS wheels match up, and if they "just work" or you end up with no abs. If that's the case, might as well just get a Terra.
Old 01-18-2013, 04:11 PM   #1579
K1W1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by krussell View Post
As far as mileage, be careful, they seem to toss around imperial and us gallons pretty loosely. I know that the US spec is "as much as 55MPG" for the Husky and 74MPG for the Sertao. My real world Strada mileage is about 48 over the first 2200 miles.

Over here they list two fuel consumption figures. The lesser consumption is at 90 kph (55mph) and the higher consumption is at 120 kph (75 mph). At 120 kph the Strada / Terra consumption is listed as 4.35 l/100 km which equates to 54 miles per US gallon. BMW Australia list 3.21 l/100kph at 90kph and 4.31 l/100 km at 120 kph for the Sertao so it's as near as identical as you can get.
The only effective difference is the cost of the higher spec fuel for the Strada/Terra.
K1W1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 04:18 PM   #1580
K1W1
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by krussell View Post
I'd be interested in seeing how the ABS wheels match up, and if they "just work" or you end up with no abs. If that's the case, might as well just get a Terra.
If you fitted a front wheel with a sensor ring to a Terra it would work fine. If you fitted a wheel with no sensor ring to a bike with ABS the ABS would not work and I guess would show an error code on the dash.
The rear wheel of the Terra has the sensor ring anyway because it controls the speedo drive.

Old 01-18-2013, 06:04 PM   #1581
krussell
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Over here they list two fuel consumption figures. The lesser consumption is at 90 kph (55mph) and the higher consumption is at 120 kph (75 mph). At 120 kph the Strada / Terra consumption is listed as 4.35 l/100 km which equates to 54 miles per US gallon. BMW Australia list 3.21 l/100kph at 90kph and 4.31 l/100 km at 120 kph for the Sertao so it's as near as identical as you can get.
The only effective difference is the cost of the higher spec fuel for the Strada/Terra.
I think you'll see an update to those numbers at some point. When I was looking at the Strada here they said 74MPG on the web site, now they say 55. Another datapoint is the Motorcycle Consumer News observed values for both bikes. They got 46.1 mpg with the Terra, 63.78 mpg on the Sertao. Both numbers about 85% of the specified 55/74 MPG on the US web site. So let's use the actual MCN numbers and the specified fuel capacity.

Terra = 46.1 MPG * 3.57G = 165mi
Sertao = 63.78 * 3.7G = 235mi

70 miles further, it's pretty significant.
Old 01-19-2013, 04:08 PM   #1582
Blaise W
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 657
Installed my HDB handguards and Pro Taper KX High fatbars today. Easy install, and looks great, if I have to say so myself! Anyone installing handguards on this bike, make sure the bars have at least 200mm of straight at the ends. You need it all with the long stock levers.

Blaise W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 04:22 PM   #1583
K1W1
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaisew View Post
Installed my HDB handguards and Pro Taper KX High fatbars today.
Any issues with cable lengths with the risers?
Old 01-19-2013, 05:18 PM   #1584
Blaise W
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 657
Quote:
Any issues with cable lengths with the risers?
No issues, Mate. The clutch cable is at the end of it's comforable range, and I went with the low mount position on that side to prevent stress. It all mounts up nicely. As always, it seems, the bar end of the guard doesn't sit flush on the bar end (it's close), but they never do unless you want to heat and bend.
Blaise W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 05:32 PM   #1585
ADVJake
***** dweller

Oddometer: 4,338
hows it go with a pillion? I used to pillion the girl on a dr650 but found it hard work to ride it smoothly, the bike would need to be shifted alot.
Is the terra happy to be lugged?
Old 01-19-2013, 05:49 PM   #1586
trapperj
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 470
New strada in my garage!

Well..I didn't intend to buy today...but it turns out the BMW dealer in Ashville NC..( Husky too) had 3 Stradas and 1 Terra..so after a lot of thought...it really came down to me liking the black....and really wanting abs. I figure if I want to..I can add wheels later. I don't reckon it'd be easy to ever add A.B.S to the terra. Also, the fact that this dealer had several Stradas and only 1 Terra I was able to save some $ off msrp....only on the Strada. I already have a search going on for Dakar wheels. I believe that I can coax them to work and have abs on both sets...but no sure. I will find out. Thanks for this thread...maybe I can contribute something useful in the future.

I do want to say that Eurosport in Ashville treated me well. The BMW dealer in Knoxville has closed so for now it's either Chattnooga..or Ashville for BMW.. Although the Chattnooga dealer does not have Husky. Super Street just across the ga state line in Ringlod does have H.
trapperj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:42 PM   #1587
krussell
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaisew View Post
Installed my HDB handguards and Pro Taper KX High fatbars today.
Nice! Ok, There's another $350 I need to come up with.
Old 01-19-2013, 08:43 PM   #1588
krussell
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapperj View Post
Well..I didn't intend to buy today...
Congrats. Enjoy the new ride.
Old 01-20-2013, 06:57 AM   #1589
Fast1
Twisted Throttle

Oddometer: 1,843
Review by Motorcycle Consumer News with some comparison to the BMW Sertao

http://www.mcnews.com/mcn/model_eval/2013JanTR650.pdf

11 Husqvarna TE630- sold
08 Husqvarna TE510- sold
Fast1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:58 AM   #1590
nomad5326
Xventurous

Oddometer: 300
Good Review. Let's hope BMW pays atention and fully updates the Sertao to compete w/the Terra and let both keep pushing the 650cc single ADV parameters. Neither will ever be a 100% trail bike but the more effort the companies put in to frame, suspension and engine dynamics will forge a new direction in ADV Touring Singles. Can't beat the price of the Terra and SOOOO much room to grow and develop the bike. Will watch with continued interest.
nomad5326 is offline   Reply With Quote