Less talk, more photos!!

The Farkling has begun...
Old 01-25-2013, 03:01 PM   #1622
davorallyfan
Commonist

Oddometer: 15,597
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
IMO, that's a valid point. It's always smart marketing strategy to leave room for upgrades on a brand new model. Never give it everything you've got in the first year. The Japanese are masters at this ... just look at the 20 year evolution of the CBR600 as example. As tech improves and becomes more affordable the OEM's will incorporate it on newer models. But they hold back lots of things for that next "NEW" model upgrade.

In any case we all will learn lots about the new Terra/Strada in the next year or so. I'm confident the ADV inmate pioneers here will be putting the
Terra through Hell and doing plenty of tough riding. Kudos!
Miles, Time and Abuse will tell the tale here. Nothing better to know for sure just how tough the little bike is. (My DR650 is getting nervous!)

Can the Chinese made Huskies hold up? BTW, its my understanding that the WHOLE bike is made at the Loncin factory ... with only certain electronic components brought in.

Only the design and prototyping is done in Italy and Germany. Loncin produce more bikes than anyone in the world. I think they can handle it.
BMW is their most important client ... so the bikes HAVE to be good.

They use this same basic engine is several home market models. IMHO, early buyers are sort of Beta testers for BMW. The good news is you've got a warranty. If stuff starts cracking ... you're covered. And if it's endemic ... the NHTSA will get involved and ALL bikes will have to be made right ... warranty or not.

This is an exciting bike. Not over hyped. Reviews are really good. Time to sit back and watch! Go Husky!
You like to talk huh?

Not big on research?
davorallyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:30 PM   #1623
K1W1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,467
Does it really matter these days where anything is actually manufactured? The brand name on the product and the ability of the brand name to stand behind the product is all that really matters imo.
K1W1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:46 PM   #1624
trapperj
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 471
I'd be happy with a fix for the "hair trigger kick stand" that these bikes have. I know Bigdog came up with a fix...just didn't want to drill on my new bike the first week I owned it.

I do have a soft blanket near the bike though for when she jumps off that thing...maybe she'll land softly.
trapperj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:54 PM   #1625
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Oddometer: 5,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by davorallyfan View Post
You like to talk huh?

Not big on research?
Davo, has your bash plate shown up yet and has anyone ridden one of these hard off road like a XChallenge? Want to see pics in some hard trails.

xronly
Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:14 PM   #1626
VxZeroKnots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,559
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz View Post
Davo, has your bash plate shown up yet and has anyone ridden one of these hard off road like a XChallenge? Want to see pics in some hard trails.
Me too!

An "S" version of this bike at a slightly higher price point would have me interested. I can stand the weight, but it needs more travel and that brake lever fixed.

No bike does everything perfectly. In fact, no bike does anything until someone gets on it to ride.

VxZeroKnots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:22 PM   #1627
davorallyfan
Commonist

Oddometer: 15,597
Bash plate next week...

Heading off in an hour or so to do some smooth dirt roads and a camp out overnight to Numerella.

I'm not far off with the Terra - all I need to do is get the bash plate and the pannier frames sorted then ride the ring off it.

Its been doing the commute.
Karuah in 2 weeks too.

I will be needing new tyres soon.

davorallyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 08:23 PM   #1628
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by davorallyfan View Post
You like to talk huh?
Not big on research?
Have you been to the factory in Italy to see what bikes are being made there? I'd love to hear from someone who has done a tour in the last year. I've seen a few U tubes ... does not reveal much. I realize all the husky dirt bikes ARE made in Italy (but I think the 450 motor is made by Kymco, no? ... and all the frames are now made by an "outside" source. Hmmm?

Has anyone been on the docks when a container full of Terra and Strada bikes shows up? What does the cargo manifest show as the origin of the bikes? Where were they loaded on board? Hmmmm? Does either bike say Made In Italy on it?

Hope someone has some first hand info on this.

Most info on line regards the Loncin factory are old accounts. Suffice to say BMW/Husqvarna are not exactly forthcoming regards details about whats made where ... hard to tell based on company statements, they never get into specifics. Many U Tube Loncin factory shots have been scrubbed in the last year or two. Now why is that?

Why would BMW make the bikes in Italy when it's less than half the price to build them in China? Remember, this is a $7000 motorcycle.

We know the motors are Chinese made at Loncin, China (and not with components from Rotax Austria either), would it not make sense to manufacture the entire machine in China? This gives BMW a huge tax incentive (from the Chinese) and increases profit substantially.

Here's an indication just how involved BMW are in China. This about Cars ... can bikes be far behind?
http://www.bmwgroup.com/e/0_0_www_bm...ung_Tiexi.html
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:45 PM   #1629
FabOneUp
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by trapperj View Post
I'd be happy with a fix for the "hair trigger kick stand" that these bikes have. I know Bigdog came up with a fix...just didn't want to drill on my new bike the first week I owned it.

I do have a soft blanket near the bike though for when she jumps off that thing...maybe she'll land softly.
The subject of the kick stand is simple. Just bend both mounting points of the spring forward...done. I guess some dealers are doing this now.

On the subject of the rear swing arm...mine took a hit from a car and it only bent it. Cost is $702.00 for a replacement.
FabOneUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:12 AM   #1630
heirhead
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 441
alu vs steel

Hello,

Sorry, do not know how to link.
Go to ADV Oilhead Boxers, then, Crashing a Fully loaded 1200 gs. Do not know if steel would have done THAT!!

Heirhead
heirhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:55 AM   #1631
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,613
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Have you been to the factory in Italy to see what bikes are being made there? I'd love to hear from someone who has done a tour in the last year. I've seen a few U tubes ... does not reveal much. I realize all the husky dirt bikes ARE made in Italy (but I think the 450 motor is made by Kymco, no? ... and all the frames are now made by an "outside" source. Hmmm?

Has anyone been on the docks when a container full of Terra and Strada bikes shows up? What does the cargo manifest show as the origin of the bikes? Where were they loaded on board? Hmmmm? Does either bike say Made In Italy on it?

Hope someone has some first hand info on this.

Most info on line regards the Loncin factory are old accounts. Suffice to say BMW/Husqvarna are not exactly forthcoming regards details about whats made where ... hard to tell based on company statements, they never get into specifics. Many U Tube Loncin factory shots have been scrubbed in the last year or two. Now why is that?

Why would BMW make the bikes in Italy when it's less than half the price to build them in China? Remember, this is a $7000 motorcycle.

We know the motors are Chinese made at Loncin, China (and not with components from Rotax Austria either), would it not make sense to manufacture the entire machine in China? This gives BMW a huge tax incentive (from the Chinese) and increases profit substantially.

Here's an indication just how involved BMW are in China. This about Cars ... can bikes be far behind?
http://www.bmwgroup.com/e/0_0_www_bm...ung_Tiexi.html
The Country of Origin is the first letter of the vin. It is a Z, that stands for Italy.
Old 01-26-2013, 05:52 AM   #1632
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 7,951
Quote:
Originally Posted by heirhead View Post
Hello,

Sorry, do not know how to link.
Go to ADV Oilhead Boxers, then, Crashing a Fully loaded 1200 gs. Do not know if steel would have done THAT!!

Heirhead
Link is here:
http://youtu.be/4yDtCWJ4g9Y?t=4m

I've ridden similar desert terrain on a KTM before. Not for very far, but enough to scare the bejesus out of me. The Qatari desert is very similar, large section with really large rocks appearing out of nowhere. You have to slow down and be mindful. If you notice, you'll see the terrain change right before he crashes.

Clinging to sanity, one motorcycle at a time.
RidingDonkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 06:41 AM   #1633
Blaise W
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 657
That was one nasty crash! Cast aluminum just wasn't up for that kind of thing. Watching the vid makes me want to go out and get an Atlas neck brace right away. I wonder if the heavily loaded (I presume) rear of the bike contributed to it getting away from him.
Blaise W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:16 AM   #1634
klxmack
king of the box

Oddometer: 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawagumby View Post
I disagree, such discussions are not worthless. Blanket statements within the realm of experienced motorcyclists are valid and based on empirical observation. To entertain discussion regarding casting, forging, alloys, etc. at the forum level assumes that we are all experienced engineers and metallurgists - which is purely bogus. Do you have access to the alloys breakdown from any motorcycle manufacturer? Frankly, the evolution of aluminum components for motorcycles has been more an exercise of trial-and-error than design anyway...those alloys and box-sections are a product of experience as much as design intent. Also, in general, the stiffer the aluminum alloy the more susceptible to corrosion - which can be an issue for longevity.

Sure, "Lower unsprung mass...and adequate stiffness will provide better..." we all know that, for Christ's sake. The real question is whether or not steel is still a viable alternative to aluminum in some designs. I think steel is just fine for many applications. As an off-road rider who has owned many and still owns both steel and aluminum-framed bikes, I can tell you the difference in weight is minimal - and is usually measured in a few ounces, not pounds. Further, the larger cross-sections required of aluminum presents a real PITA when attempting to access components for maintenance or repair. I greatly prefer the steel frames because of that - perimeter steel frames seem to work best for me.
+1

Cheers
3. My bike and its owner are faster than yours.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...hlight=klxmack
klxmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:55 AM   #1635
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,228
Quote:
Originally Posted by RidingDonkeys View Post
Link is here:
http://youtu.be/4yDtCWJ4g9Y?t=4m

I've ridden similar desert terrain on a KTM before. Not for very far, but enough to scare the bejesus out of me. The Qatari desert is very similar, large section with really large rocks appearing out of nowhere. You have to slow down and be mindful. If you notice, you'll see the terrain change right before he crashes.
That was brutal.

I have to agree. When in the middle of nowhere, it pays to be cautious.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote