Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-21-2012, 01:46 PM   #151
Ham
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 301
I think you guys are missing the mark all around on the weight as I blogged on the Guzzi site.

After 350 lbs its not relevant as to the absolute weight. Very few of us can dead lift much more than that off the ground. Much less if my Dakar falls down slope...then I need a helicopter and three friends to get it back up.

No, what matters is where and how it carries that weight. If well balanced and low down all the better. A ride is dependent on more important things like can my feet touch the ground solidly, balance, tires, etc.

That being said a rig with too small a tank to save weight has issues in Adventure riding. A rig with a montrous fuel supply high up has issues in Adventure riding. So its where the weight is, how it is balanced, etc.

Any of these rigs in sand, mud, etc is a pig...they just are.

But I do think nearly all these bikes need a lower first gear where the speed at 3-5 mph allows the engine to idle easily. I think that would help.
Ham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 02:01 PM   #152
Ogre_fl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM View Post
I am wondering where all that extra weight of the Terra comes from compared to the X-BMWs?
What do you think an X-Challenge "really" weighs?

The only "real" weight I have ever seen was 365# and that was one with a Ti exhaust.

BMW's claimed 318 dry was fictitious at best.
Ogre_fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 02:23 PM   #153
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Oddometer: 16,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grreatdog View Post
Kinda hard to imagine it having anything like the same performance as a 690 when it is pushing close to 100 extra pounds. I think this bike is about hitting a price point not performance.
I could be wrong, but in the UK the Terra is cheaper than a G650GS, and 1200 cheaper than a 690. That would swing it, for me, because for the price difference you could fully farkle it and go riding for a week.
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 02:41 PM   #154
SamM
Jeep Overlander

Oddometer: 1,471
With 58hp, the Terra will have all the performance that I need. If my KLR would have had that much hp, or the possibility of that much hp, I would not have gotten rid of it.

The $6999 price is the most attractive selling point of this bike. I'd say the Rotax 650 engine would be a close second. I don't really care that it's made in Taiwan. I've got to have one.
SamM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 02:48 PM   #155
Rattletrap
When in doubt-Gas it

Oddometer: 302
Power-up kit, Leo Vince exhaust, JD Tuner, I see a 65 hp pig. But, I've been known to ride one now and again.
Rattletrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 02:57 PM   #156
SamM
Jeep Overlander

Oddometer: 1,471
Quote:
I think you guys are missing the mark all around on the weight as I blogged on the Guzzi site.

After 350 lbs its not relevant as to the absolute weight. Very few of us can dead lift much more than that off the ground. Much less if my Dakar falls down slope...then I need a helicopter and three friends to get it back up.

No, what matters is where and how it carries that weight. If well balanced and low down all the better. A ride is dependent on more important things like can my feet touch the ground solidly, balance, tires, etc.

That being said a rig with too small a tank to save weight has issues in Adventure riding. A rig with a montrous fuel supply high up has issues in Adventure riding. So its where the weight is, how it is balanced, etc.

Any of these rigs in sand, mud, etc is a pig...they just are.

But I do think nearly all these bikes need a lower first gear where the speed at 3-5 mph allows the engine to idle easily. I think that would help.
I've seen tiny little 100lb girls pick up Harley Ultra Glides. You're right though, the weight over 350lbs isn't revelant but how you manage it is. Myself, I only ride dualsports now and want my bike as low on weight as I can get it. The weight is being made a big deal and maybe it shouldn't be, but I know what happens to my bikes. I add: heated grips, handguards, new windscreens, rear racks, Pelican hardbags, and drybags to haul even more gear. Getting the weight down makes hauling the rest of my stuff possible. 350lbs does seem to be the magic number.

SamM screwed with this post 09-22-2012 at 07:12 AM
SamM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 10:27 PM   #157
netteb16
hangersoutters

Oddometer: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamM View Post
With 58hp, the Terra will have all the performance that I need. If my KLR would have had that much hp, or the possibility of that much hp, I would not have gotten rid of it.

The $6999 price is the most attractive selling point of this bike. I'd say the Rotax 650 engine would be a close second. I don't really care that it's made in Taiwan. I've got to have one.

So true. This is what Husky/BMW is banking on, and why I will be buying one as well.
netteb16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 11:53 PM   #158
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,613
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamM View Post

It gets confusing on who makes these engines. For a short while prior to 2007 the engine was made by Kymco in Taiwan. In 2009 Engine parts for the G650 were made by Rotax in Austria shipped to Loncin in China for assembly and sent back.

These engines are being manufactured by Loncin. The engine is no longer listed as a Rotax product (type 654).

It is a huge company that builds millions of Motorcycles for its domestic market. If that is a concern, Kawasaki has recently signed a contract of some sort with them involving their higher end bikes.
Old 09-22-2012, 04:36 AM   #159
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer: 1,100
I think it's a close enough # to compare ready to ride weights with 1 gallon of fuel. However as I am a geek and love numbers, I sometimes will factor in the weight to go a certain distance to be more accurate.

For instance in comparing the weight of my KTM 690 to a XR650R, the weights are pretty similar thought the XR is definately lighter. However in my mind, those numbers get even closer when you figure how much they both weigh ready to ride 100 miles fairly hard. That means adding 3 gallons of fuel to the 690 and 6.5 gallons to the XRR (if you've got the tank for it!). At that point, the weights are really close but the XRR still is lighter. However as the 690 carries the fuel lower, it makes them really similar. And when I'm thinking about those weightsI'm not forgetting the XRR doesn't have e start.
Point is I personally like lot's of accurate info. My pet peave is extremely nebulous #'s such as KTM's "ready to race weight." What the heck is that? I certainly can't figure out how to get my 690 down to the 305lb ready to race weight. Do they race without fuel, oil, batteries and coolant? My opinion is they exaggerate (or minimize as the case may be)the #'s and then give a subjective term such as "ready to race weight" so no one can call them on it!

Oh and I'm with Lukas on intentionally not filling up if I know I don't need the range and will be doing technical riding. Also I'll throw in there I don't fill up all the way when I spend too much money on farkles (kawasaki) or repairs (KTM) and don't have enough in my piggy bank.

rickypanecatyl screwed with this post 09-22-2012 at 05:01 AM
rickypanecatyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 07:47 AM   #160
larryboy
Leisurely Liar

Oddometer: 13,891
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrt10x View Post
I fill up my GSA half way all the time if I am going to be riding it where it shouldnt be ridden and I dont need the range.. but I have only been riding for 20 years so I guess I am just too boot to realize I have been doing it wrong

I know you think you are making a logical point, but really all you did is make yourself look like an ass.. IMHO your leap to tires and sprockets is just a ridiculous attempt at extrapolating a valid argument into the inane. That is poor form and smacks of lazy thinking and probably belongs down in Jo Mamma.

I didn't even call anybody names, you did...take it somewhere else.

Maybe we live in two different worlds and you like to hang out at the gas station?

This isn't a single track bike and if I owned one I would never put half a tank of gas in it, just like a KLR, I want to know what these bikes really weigh.

Now, onto the 58 hp single...is that at the wheel, because that sounds awfully optimistic.
Old 09-22-2012, 09:44 AM   #161
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
I didn't even call anybody names, you did...take it somewhere else.

Maybe we live in two different worlds and you like to hang out at the gas station?

This isn't a single track bike and if I owned one I would never put half a tank of gas in it, just like a KLR, I want to know what these bikes really weigh.

Now, onto the 58 hp single...is that at the wheel, because that sounds awfully optimistic.
Larryboy you sly dog. You know it is crank HP. Good point though, as a lot of enthusiast do not, when proving their bike is best. A 2012 KTM 690 Super Moto rated at 72hp only shows 61 on a dyno. Your experience may vary.

If there is going to be a pool, my money is on 48hp at the wheel. I cheated though, the g650gs lost 10hp between the spec sheet and the dyno.

itsatdm screwed with this post 09-22-2012 at 04:30 PM
itsatdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 09:01 PM   #162
elgato gordo
KTMRFS

Oddometer: 508
No favors

I really don't think they have done any favors for us; Take a 300 lb bike with 52 HP and turn it into a 400 lb bike with 58 HP

Sure it will be reliable and the price is right. It just makes the TE610's more valuable.
elgato gordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 09:57 PM   #163
KaceCoyote
Pass the queer more beer

Oddometer: 5,632
DR650 is 328lbs wet FTR.

I'd like to see torque numbers compared. I cant help but feel this is just, derivative. If I buy a Husq, I want it to come with an IKEA catalog, to make me meatballs and for parts to be strange mysterious objects which are often sought but rarely found.

If I wanted to buy an F650, I'd just buy the F650.
Everybody talk to them end up in some danger
-MF Doom, Strange ways
KaceCoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 10:12 PM   #164
netteb16
hangersoutters

Oddometer: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaceCoyote View Post
And your wallet would be $3k lighter
netteb16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 11:15 PM   #165
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaceCoyote View Post
DR650 is 328lbs wet FTR.

I'd like to see torque numbers compared. I cant help but feel this is just, derivative. If I buy a Husq, I want it to come with an IKEA catalog, to make me meatballs and for parts to be strange mysterious objects which are often sought but rarely found.

See what I am talking about If wet means with a tank of fuel your bike weighs 366# per Suzuki: http://www.suzukicycles.com/en/Produ...0SE.aspx#Specs