ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-29-2013, 03:30 PM   #1651
Fast1
Twisted Throttle
 
Fast1's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Bridge over Troubled Water
Oddometer: 1,874
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30Bones View Post
Is Heinen's in the Twin Cities a good dealer? We will be up that way this weekend for a funeral and spending a night or two in the cities. Perfect opportunity to see one for myself.

I've purchased three Husqvarna's from Heinens and thought their pricing was extremely favorable.
__________________
14 Husqvarna FE 501 10 Yamaha FJR 1300 11 Husqvarna SM630
Fast1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:08 PM   #1652
modeselector
Common as muck
 
modeselector's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Washington USA
Oddometer: 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by RidingDonkeys View Post
That's a bit of a shocker-especially with the Terra and Nuda platform relying so much on BMW's parts bin.
modeselector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:10 PM   #1653
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome
 
RidingDonkeys's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Southern Pines, North Carolina, USA
Oddometer: 8,375
Quote:
Originally Posted by modeselector View Post
That's a bit of a shocker-especially with the Terra and Nuda platform relying so much on BMW's parts bin.
Precisely my concern.

Sent from the voices in my head and transcribed by their drinking buddy...
__________________
Sit Stay Ride: The Story of America's Sidecar Dogs
More info at www.sidecardogs.com

Clinging to sanity, one motorcycle at a time.
RidingDonkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:50 PM   #1654
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams
 
Adv Grifter's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Passing ADV Stalkers in California
Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by RidingDonkeys View Post
Husqvarna being sold to KTM? This could be interesting...

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/Ne..._/R-EPI-139228
Quote:
Originally Posted by modeselector View Post
That's a bit of a shocker-especially with the Terra and Nuda platform relying so much on BMW's parts bin.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RidingDonkeys View Post
Precisely my concern.
Well MCN have been known to follow rumors before ... and call it "news". They've got suckered into some embarrassing situations over the years.

But if it's true ... I'd love to hear the rationale from BOTH sides! Seems an uncomfortable match.

KTM/Bajai have their hands full with what they've got. Husky offers nothing new in another segment. KTM already have Husaberg and are producing some interesting small bikes (125, 200 and 300) in India ... some imported to the USA and EU.Where would Husky fit into KTM's line-up ?

BMW selling off Husqvarna makes a bit more sense ... but still, just stupid. After a pretty good Dakar effort from Husky and rave reviews going for the Terra and Strada ... why sell out now? Are BMW going to re-launch their own Dakar effort and waste everything they did to build Husky up?

Perhaps BMW are having trouble incorporating Husky into BMW showrooms? Dunno. Why not let them be separate ... away from BMW?

BMW have an endless flow of money from the car side. They don't need to sell off Husky ... unless there are some unforeseen political/legal considerations none of us are aware of. (always possible)

BMW have been looking for a way to attract younger buyers for ten years. Their buyers were dying off. Husky is it ... and is changing all that and bringing younger riders through a door they never would have passed before.
Anyway ... I will watch this one.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:14 PM   #1655
Fallacy
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Iowa
Oddometer: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30Bones View Post
Is Heinen's in the Twin Cities a good dealer? We will be up that way this weekend for a funeral and spending a night or two in the cities. Perfect opportunity to see one for myself.

Myself and friends have bought 5 Huskys from them, great prices but not a fan of their service.
Fallacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:50 PM   #1656
30Bones
Beastly Adventurer
 
30Bones's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Marion, IA
Oddometer: 4,636
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallacy View Post
Myself and friends have bought 5 Huskys from them, great prices but not a fan of their service.
Thanks, I called and emailed and have not gotten a return call on if they have a Terra and a WRR in stock. I am not buying today, but they sure don't seem too eager to show what may be in their showroom
30Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 04:30 AM   #1657
Muddler
Studly Adventurer
 
Muddler's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Dardanup, Western Australia
Oddometer: 734
Quote:
Originally Posted by RidingDonkeys View Post
Husqvarna being sold to KTM? This could be interesting...

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/Ne..._/R-EPI-139228

Sent from the voices in my head and transcribed by their drinking buddy...
Looks like the Terra might join the X Challenge as an orphan? That will be a pity
Muddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:24 AM   #1658
VxZeroKnots
Beastly Adventurer
 
VxZeroKnots's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Durango CO
Oddometer: 2,647
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30Bones View Post
Thanks, I called and emailed and have not gotten a return call on if they have a Terra and a WRR in stock. I am not buying today, but they sure don't seem too eager to show what may be in their showroom
It's crazy that even in times like these it is hard to get people to help you take your money huh?

I ran into the same situation when I bought a bike in the fall.
__________________
I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure

No bike does everything perfectly. In fact, no bike does anything until someone gets on it to ride.

VxZeroKnots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:46 AM   #1659
30Bones
Beastly Adventurer
 
30Bones's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Marion, IA
Oddometer: 4,636
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
It's crazy that even in times like these it is hard to get people to help you take your money huh?

I ran into the same situation when I bought a bike in the fall.
Yeah it boggles me. Just respond yes or no if you have them in stock. My local Yamaha/Honda/Kawasaki dealer will only order in a bike, but you also are required to buy it, sign papers, etc. I get it, but then again I don't.
30Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:14 AM   #1660
JTucker
Beastly Adventurer
 
JTucker's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: West By God Virginia
Oddometer: 2,270
I'd guess Bajaj thinks there is money to be made.
__________________
http://www.ktm-parts.com
03 Aprilia Caponord 06DR650
13 GasGas EC300 05 WR450F 87 T-dub
JTucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:19 AM   #1661
flyingbeard
Beastly Adventurer
 
flyingbeard's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Oddometer: 1,135
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30Bones View Post
Is Heinen's in the Twin Cities a good dealer? We will be up that way this weekend for a funeral and spending a night or two in the cities. Perfect opportunity to see one for myself.
I didn't have a great experience with them. Great prices, but no customer service, when I had a problem with my bike. I ended trucking my bike 500 miles to Halls Cycle in MO the get it repaired under warrantee. They sell a lot of bikes cheap through the interwebs. All I can say is Buyer Beware.....
__________________
Husky 11 TE630 SOLD
HD 12 XR1200X
Yamaha 13 FJR1300
flyingbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:27 AM   #1662
30Bones
Beastly Adventurer
 
30Bones's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Marion, IA
Oddometer: 4,636
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingbeard View Post
I didn't have a great experience with them. Great prices, but no customer service, when I had a problem with my bike. I ended trucking my bike 500 miles to Halls Cycle in MO the get it repaired under warrantee. They sell a lot of bikes cheap through the interwebs. All I can say is Buyer Beware.....
I had a TE610 and took it to Hall's once and they are what people tout them as...a great shop. I was just going to be in the area and wanted to kick tires. Turns out we can't make this trip for several reasons so my lust to throw a leg over a Terra will have to wait a bit longer
30Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 02:41 PM   #1663
eakins
Butler Maps
 
eakins's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2002
Location: Fort Collins, Colorado
Oddometer: 17,965
Quote:
Originally Posted by RidingDonkeys View Post
Husqvarna being sold to KTM? This could be interesting...

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/Ne..._/R-EPI-139228

Sent from the voices in my head and transcribed by their drinking buddy...
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=859417
wonder if that engine will be an orphan.
__________________
Butler Maps - motorcycle maps for riders by riders -
Alaska
AZ map COBDR AZBDR IDBDR South East map
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 02:43 PM   #1664
eakins
Butler Maps
 
eakins's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2002
Location: Fort Collins, Colorado
Oddometer: 17,965
UPDATE:

The latest is that Stephan bought Husky, not KTM. Hmmmm.... the plot thickens considerably.

http://www.nieuwsmotor.nl/motornieuw...r-van-ktm.html

Web translated:

As already whispered BMW Motorrad sells its subsidiary Husqvarna Motorcycles, not to KTM but to the personal business of its CEO Stefan Pierer called Pierer Industries AG.

The consequences for Pierers role as CEO of KTM is still unclear and will in the next six time be sought out. It is obvious that the European competition authorities might interfere with this, but it is also the possible that Pierer will resign his position at KTM.

For some time Pierer has been the CEO of the Austrian motorcycle company, but a large part of the shares therein are sold to the Indian motorcycle giant Bajaj.

Purchasing Husqvarna Pierer would potentially enable again completely with a clean slate to start again.

There will be viewed in the coming months if any form of cooperation between KTM and Husqvarna is possible, there is at least already a new model announced at the EICMA 2013 already will be shown

This morning we reported that KTM is not in the market to buy Husqvarna, this would also not be a very logical step.

For BMW the sale of Husqvarna ensuresit substantially looses face. The German company pumped millions into the Italian Husqvarna, but could never make a success of.

The following chart is from Cross Industries Ltd, the company which Bajaj for almost half owner. It now owns Husqvarna said Pierer Industries AG makes no part of it..


Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Well MCN have been known to follow rumors before ... and call it "news". They've got suckered into some embarrassing situations over the years.

But if it's true ... I'd love to hear the rationale from BOTH sides! Seems an uncomfortable match.

KTM/Bajai have their hands full with what they've got. Husky offers nothing new in another segment. KTM already have Husaberg and are producing some interesting small bikes (125, 200 and 300) in India ... some imported to the USA and EU.Where would Husky fit into KTM's line-up ?

BMW selling off Husqvarna makes a bit more sense ... but still, just stupid. After a pretty good Dakar effort from Husky and rave reviews going for the Terra and Strada ... why sell out now? Are BMW going to re-launch their own Dakar effort and waste everything they did to build Husky up?

Perhaps BMW are having trouble incorporating Husky into BMW showrooms? Dunno. Why not let them be separate ... away from BMW?

BMW have an endless flow of money from the car side. They don't need to sell off Husky ... unless there are some unforeseen political/legal considerations none of us are aware of. (always possible)

BMW have been looking for a way to attract younger buyers for ten years. Their buyers were dying off. Husky is it ... and is changing all that and bringing younger riders through a door they never would have passed before.
Anyway ... I will watch this one.
__________________
Butler Maps - motorcycle maps for riders by riders -
Alaska
AZ map COBDR AZBDR IDBDR South East map
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 03:39 PM   #1665
Ogre_fl
Beastly Adventurer
 
Ogre_fl's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Cook Bayou, FL
Oddometer: 2,141
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=859417
wonder if that engine will be an orphan.
Its not just the engine, there are a LOT of BMW parts on these bikes.
I wonder how all that would shake out.
Ogre_fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:51 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014