Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2013, 09:40 PM   #1756
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,236
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemermcr View Post
Just dropped off my Terra to Ricochet here in Salt Lake for them to prototype a Skidplate for the 650! Looking forward to seeing their solution for all the exposed lines --

http://utahsportcycle.com/index.html

Full disclosure: for giving up my baby for a week, I will get a "smoking' deal" on the prototype.

Paul
anything less than a free part for you is a rip off. that's how it works.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:42 PM   #1757
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,236
directly taking on the Japanese is keeping the price low. and where it's produced is a huge part of that equation? even though it's not Indian owned, i'm guessing it will be produced there.

Quote:
Several things stand out (rough numbers):

Last year:

BMW sold 1000 fewer bikes than KTM (105k to 104k, iirc)
- KTM knows how to sell at least as well as BMW (I know KTM average price is lower, so BMW sales are higher)
- meaning that the new owners know at least as much as BMW about selling bikes

Husqvarna sold @10k bikes, (iirc) and the new owners state they want to take that to 20k/year, directly taking on the Japanese.

My Terra is 4719, based on VIN, so they made and shipped about 5k units in less than half a year; I hear rumors that Husky sales were up 20+% in last quarter, due mostly to the Terra. I hear that January was even stronger--

IMHO, it makes no sense to discontinue (or fail to secure the supply line for) the best selling product in a business you buy; a bike that can apparently single-handedly get you to 20,000 bikes this year, as long as you can ramp up production. Oh, and is positioned directly to steal sales from out-dated KLRs, DR650s, etc.

I doubt we see the Terra an "orphan", dumped or given back to BMW --- makes no business sense. I that counts in today's market ----

Paul
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:55 AM   #1758
mario33
Howling around...

Oddometer: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
directly taking on the Japanese is keeping the price low. and where it's produced is a huge part of that equation? even though it's not Indian owned, i'm guessing it will be produced there.
So its better to get your own one now. Still Italian ;-)

Mine arriving in a week. And I'm completely unfazed by rumours. It's a nice bike, there's legal obligation to supply parts for 10 years, aftermarket exists already (to the level I need it). I'm OK with it...

mario33 screwed with this post 02-03-2013 at 03:42 AM
mario33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 06:03 AM   #1759
WVdyhrd
mudhole 400 guy

Oddometer: 2,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by mario33 View Post
So its better to get your own one now. Still Italian ;-)

Mine arriving in a week. And I'm completely unfazed by rumours. It's a nice bike, there's legal obligation to supply parts for 10 years, aftermarket exists already (to the level I need it). I'm OK with it...
I would love to see the legal precedent for this

But, the company was SOLD (fact not rumor) not dissolved. Different people own it now, but it has all been done by professionals. I'm sure they will continue to support their customers.

Trust me, as someone that has access to both systems, KTM's CEO can only improve the support not degrade it.

"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool." -Bill
Shakes
WVdyhrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 06:31 AM   #1760
SCExpat
Ex-expat

Oddometer: 571
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnerbuck View Post
Maybe BMWs U.S. price point on these bikes allows for little profit when compared to their other models... In other words they were put out at a break even price to try to entice potential Japanese model buyers over and even with big sales do little for the bottom line...

I have heard complaints from prospective buyers North of the US border that they are being ripped off... The Canadian dollar has been on par or higher than the US buck and yet these bike are priced much higher {+$2000?} up here...
The bikes sell for different prices in different countries due to taxes. A big factor in my move from Brazil back to the states. 100% import tax makes things cost double. The straw that broke the camels back was when I needed new tires for my 2010 DL650 (about $18K new) and the Anake II cost about $300....EACH! No vaseline.
SCExpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 07:39 AM   #1761
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Oddometer: 3,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCExpat View Post
The bikes sell for different prices in different countries due to taxes. A big factor in my move from Brazil back to the states. 100% import tax makes things cost double. The straw that broke the camels back was when I needed new tires for my 2010 DL650 (about $18K new) and the Anake II cost about $300....EACH! No vaseline.
Yes vaseline, the taxes {13 %} get added on after the $2000 price difference...

To tell you how bad it is, cars built in this country are cheaper to buy in the U.S.

gunnerbuck screwed with this post 02-03-2013 at 07:58 AM
gunnerbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 07:40 AM   #1762
Murphy Slaw
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,286
Wow.....

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Murphy Slaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:21 AM   #1763
kawagumby
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 715
Quote:
IMHO, it makes no sense to discontinue (or fail to secure the supply line for) the best selling product in a business you buy; a bike that can apparently single-handedly get you to 20,000 bikes this year, as long as you can ramp up production. Oh, and is positioned directly to steal sales from out-dated KLRs, DR650s, etc.

I doubt we see the Terra an "orphan", dumped or given back to BMW --- makes no business sense. I that counts in today's market ----

Paul
My thoughts exactly....all the hand-wringing is an exercise in speculative negativism.
Old 02-03-2013, 01:52 PM   #1764
mario33
Howling around...

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsatdm View Post
I don't know if you can claim that the Terra is the biggest selling model based on a vin number. They could be issued sequentially over all the bikes or blocks set aside for that purpose. What I read was there were 1,351 sold through Dec 2012. Less than the number of Husky Nuda models at 1,936.
Nuda was sold through the whole year. TR - only 3-4 months, multiply that by 4 and potential yearly sales are over 5k pcs. And assuming its just starting - might be much more... Comparing apples to apples - TR sold 3x better than Nuda, nearly half of total number husky sells yearly.
Old 02-03-2013, 02:53 PM   #1765
lightfighter
where does this go?

Oddometer: 2,153
can someone change the name of this thread to "corporate strategy and international sales theory"?
lightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 03:01 PM   #1766
mario33
Howling around...

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsatdm View Post
With all this potential profitability, why did BMW sell it.
My theory is - they cant deal with true off-road bikes (bmw's own 450 example comes to mind). And potential benefits from costly R&D are not showing up in crisis-ridden world (eg. Nuda). TR alone couldnt save the P&L. Strategy was right for BMW parthership but sales didnt get momentum yet.
Old 02-03-2013, 03:03 PM   #1767
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightfighter View Post
can someone change the name of this thread to "corporate strategy and international sales theory"?
I'm waiting for a mod to come along and ban every poster who's off-topic.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 04:59 PM   #1768
mrt10x
Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer: 3,177
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnerbuck View Post
Yes vaseline, the taxes {13 %} get added on after the $2000 price difference...

To tell you how bad it is, cars built in this country are cheaper to buy in the U.S.
but wait.. you get "free" health care.. so it all works out.
Old 02-03-2013, 07:08 PM   #1769
wolftrax
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 331
Think I'll mosey on up to Asheville Tuesday and have a look at one of these. Though I love my Tenere, have to admit that it's a tad bit on the heavy side picking up out of the dirt. If this bike is half as good on the road as the Tenere I may be trading.
wolftrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:06 PM   #1770
DirtyOldMan
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,875
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightfighter View Post
No shit!
This thread could now suck-start a Harley.

In an attempt.to change direction, I could only get 2.4 gals in the tank with 140 miles on the trip meter last fillup. I think that's 58 mpg. Gotta 're-check that but if true that's pretty close to a 200 miles range.
Discuss.

13 650 Terra

96 R1100R
DirtyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote