Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2013, 05:01 PM   #1801
Telman
Ulysses Member

Oddometer: 122
I have been in the market for a light duty dual purpose bike for quite some time. Neither the Suzuki DR650 or Kawasaki KLR650 rocked my boat. The Yamaha XT660 in my view is too expensive (in Australia anyway) no matter which guise. I was drawn to the BMW G650GS particularly the Sertao, the KTM 690 is once again IMO too expensive. The Sertao has less power than the TRs I also prefer the suspension of the Husky over the Sertao.

Having now test ridden the Strada variant I am satisfied the Terra is what I am looking for, my only real gripe is that the gearbox is a little agricultural. I want an all purpose machine with adequate performance on the road but enjoyable on gravel/dirt forest roads and tracks. Basically a bike I can do some easy exploring on.

These bikes seem to be selling particularly well having only just really hit the market here. I cannot believe that Pierer Industrie AG will not look long and hard at the success of this model, continue to build it and no doubt improve it over time. My local dealer has the appropriate diagnostic equipment and I am satisfied the bike will be well supported during my ownership. The likely accessories I will fit are already available anyway.

I expect to add 2-3 bikes to my garage this year, the Terra will be one of them.
Old 02-05-2013, 06:43 PM   #1802
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Oddometer: 3,707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Excellent points! (and ALL very true!)
It's true, KTM have been playing catch up in metallurgy. The Japanese are dominant there. My comments regards KTM had more to do with outright performance/HP ... not longevity.

I agree, for a ADV bike longevity is FAR more important ... and that's why I ride a DR650 with 50K miles on it.

Where do you get all this crap from? Are you a metallurgy expert?

The Japanese are superior except for a certain percentage of third gears that fail and frames that rot out sooner than later... Don't forget 33 1/3% of the DRs under your ownership suffered a catastrophic failure so they have problems like any other bike...

I really don't think the metallurgy in the DR is superior to that of the BMW/Husky Terra, KTM or any other Euro bike...
gunnerbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:15 PM   #1803
SamM
Jeep Overlander

Oddometer: 1,469
Wow, I'm so glad that I waited to buy a Terra. Unbelievable!
SamM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:17 PM   #1804
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Oddometer: 16,099
Husky have been sold and will now, allegedly, drop road bikes and re-focus on 2-stroke competition bikes.

Where does this leave the Terra?
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:28 PM   #1805
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 7,179
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaY YreKa View Post
Husky have been sold and will now, allegedly, drop road bikes and re-focus on 2-stroke competition bikes.

What kind of oil do you use?
Old 02-06-2013, 12:41 PM   #1806
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Oddometer: 16,099
I give up.
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:45 PM   #1807
klxmack
king of the box

Oddometer: 493
Quote:

Where the heck was that printed? Please reveal your sources.

Thanks
3. My bike and its owner are faster than yours.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...hlight=klxmack
klxmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:53 PM   #1808
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 7,179
Quote:
I give up.
Just razz'n ya. Everybody has been speculating that for the last five pages of the thread, and we all pretty much disagree.
Old 02-06-2013, 02:07 PM   #1809
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,409
Here is something printed that might be pertinent. Loncin produces BMW Rotax/BMW 650 under license. BMW allowed Loncin to use the engine in China and forbid them to sell over seas.

http://www.autoevolution.com/news/ch...ine-50497.html

If you were a businessman instead of a rider in love with your bike, would you allow a Loncin engine to be sold to a competitor who can undersell your product by $1,000?
Old 02-06-2013, 02:31 PM   #1810
Davidc83
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 454
[QUOTE=
The Rotax designed, Huskly modified, (Loncin built) single used in the Terra/Strada is long in the tooth. It's solid but heavy, tall and out of date. Modern KTM designs are easily 10 years ahead of any of these old Rotax designs. My guess is that MV/Husky engineers could design a FAR BETTER motor than the old Rotax lump.

[/QUOTE]

Except the engine in the Husky isnt really the same engine as in the BMW 650gs. Basically only thing they have in common is the name 650. Different heads, different tuning, husky has 10 more HP.
Davidc83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:36 PM   #1811
Johnnyboxer
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 993
What are Husky's current and future plans prove, under the new owners

2005 BMW R1150GS Adv - Black
2005 BMW R1150GS Adv - Silver
2007 BMW G650 XCountry - Black
Johnnyboxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:56 PM   #1812
chekamus
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
yeah now they have new owners they say they are going to drop the road bikes and just make enduro and off road bikes.
chekamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 03:12 PM   #1813
klxmack
king of the box

Oddometer: 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsatdm View Post
Here is something printed that might be pertinent. Loncin produces BMW Rotax/BMW 650 under license. BMW allowed Loncin to use the engine in China and forbid them to sell over seas.

If you were a businessman instead of a rider in love with your bike, would you allow a Loncin engine to be sold to a competitor who can undersell your product by $1,000?
This is a blanket rant aimed at a bunch of different interpretations of what happened last week with the sale of Husky.

The loncin article says is that they are building a bike for china with the 650 engine thats all.

And yes, BMW doesn't see Husky as competition. Their elitist attitude considers the husky as inferior.

In Canada, Huskies are not sold by BMW dealers.

The whole article released about the buy out states, and I paraphrase. " They will retain all parts suppliers and they will make the line fit their dealer network better."

The Nuda is too expensive to sell in a shop that sells primarily off road vehicles. Its probably a goner, bloody shame i like the look of that bike.

The article says that the company is bought buy the CEO of KTM. It doesnt mean that KTM will absorb Husky or even have any say on how it is run.

Why would kill a new bike that took years to develop, consumers are buying in record numbers by husky?????

I bought this bike on looks and its specs. It not BMW fugly and it has more HP. Its smooth and fun to ride.

The sky isn't falling and yes men actually landed on the moon.

Cheers
3. My bike and its owner are faster than yours.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...hlight=klxmack
klxmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 03:29 PM   #1814
farp
DualsportBC Rider

Oddometer: 60
By far the main reason mfgrs drop models is because they didn't sell. Check this out:

http://www.powersportstv.com/most-po...otorcycles.php

According to this site the Terra is the 2nd most popular model Husky makes - and it's just been introduced to the market!

I don't believe there's any way that Husky would drop the Terra when it's already as popular as it is and promises to be one of the best selling bikes they have.

I'll be picking mine up in about a week. Can't wait to take it for a ride.
farp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 03:50 PM   #1815
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsatdm View Post

But that deal was made BEFORE the sale. I'm sure the sale would have BMW revising any prohibition, and simply Pierer/KTM would take over the position of BMW. Nothing really changes. No way would Pierer make the deal if he was to be Cut Off from parts and motors.

The interesting part is whether Pierer will choose to continue using Loncin as supplier of the Motor (and whatever else they are providing) . Eventually the current contract will expire ... so what will happen then?

Current Terra/Strada owners and any warranty claims they may have could be the answer to that one.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote