User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2013, 04:55 PM   #1816
Bynoid
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
Anyone riding these bikes or modifying?

I've been pretty interested in this bike and its on my short list of next bike options. So that said, I keep coming to this page to see what you guys are doing to the bikes, where you are riding them and what kind of equipment is being added to enjoy them more.

I wish the banter about corporate selling strategy would lighten up and actual photos of these bikes in action would commence!

Thanks
Old 02-06-2013, 05:03 PM   #1817
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,733
Yes all opinion, like 90% of the postings on this site. Is it relevent to a thread on the Husky 650? I think so.

I like the bike, I might buy one, but I don't think it was going save Husqvarna. Comparatively speaking, if they sold 5,000 a year it would be peanuts in the big KTM/Bajaj picture and nobody even knows if they are sold at a profit. Nobody remember how $8,000 630's sold for $6,000 after BMW bought Husky. Maybe a preemptive strike. Pierer may have bought the marque but publishings by the partners sure sound like they have a piece of the pie.

KTM won't produce a Nuda, because that is based on a BMW engine and they would never get the right to it. The same holds for the Terra. BMW bought Husky, who do you think has the right to the new improved engine?

Loncin makes the engine under license to BMW, not Husqvarna. I want to know what the BMW/KTM contract say on this matter, as it appears BMW calls the shots. We already know they have no responsibility for service or parts.

I want to know what my dealer, who happens to be a BMW dealer, is going to do. There are no other Husky or KTM dealers within 90 miles.

I know what the differences are between a BMW F650 and a Terra version. It is significant, but mostly hard parts that should last a long time. I also know that they are so significant that no EFI off an existing BMW version bike is going to work on a Terra. I would like some assurance that the Morelli unit will be around awhile and some one knows how to work on them in a worse case scenario.

There should be some direction in a short period of time as it will effect sales of all the Husqvarnas.

I am a glass half empty kind of guy, the rest of you "Don't worry be Happy" types put your money down.

itsatdm screwed with this post 02-06-2013 at 05:22 PM
itsatdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 05:16 PM   #1818
klxmack
king of the box

Oddometer: 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bynoid View Post
I've been pretty interested in this bike and its on my short list of next bike options. So that said, I keep coming to this page to see what you guys are doing to the bikes, where you are riding them and what kind of equipment is being added to enjoy them more.

I wish the banter about corporate selling strategy would lighten up and actual photos of these bikes in action would commence!

Thanks
We should rename this thread to " husky corporate strategy banter" LOL

Your in the wrong thread for photo's.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=850525

This thread is better.

Cheers
3. My bike and its owner are faster than yours.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...hlight=klxmack
klxmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:21 PM   #1819
wolftrax
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 396
Drank the Kool-Aid

Well after a 2 hour 80 mile test ride on a Strada, I promptly plopped down a deposit for a Terra. What a fun little bike. The engine on this bike kicks some serious ass. After the test my Super 10 seemed like a tank.
wolftrax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:22 PM   #1820
begeberg
That'll leave a mark..

Oddometer: 2,322
Dear new Husky brand owner...

Please bring back the TE610 with the Terra motor, stronger subframe and 4.5 gallon tank, you will sell lots of them.....
begeberg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:37 PM   #1821
HighFive
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,709
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolftrax View Post
Well after a 2 hour 80 mile test ride on a Strada, I promptly plopped down a deposit for a Terra. What a fun little bike. The engine on this bike kicks some serious ass. After the test my Super 10 seemed like a tank.
Hhhmmm......sounds familiar.

Told you folks, just take a test ride.

Way to go Wolftrax!

HF
Athena Big Bore Project
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:46 PM   #1822
PullingG's
What?

Oddometer: 192
Crap...I was really starting to get serious on the Terra. Now, my concern is what will happen with the dealer network. Before the Bavarians bought Husky, there were no dealers within a plane flight.
PullingG's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:28 PM   #1823
Beemermcr
Big, Dumb, Happy!

Oddometer: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsatdm View Post
Yes all opinion, like 90% of the postings on this site. Is it relevent to a thread on the Husky 650? I think so.

I like the bike, I might buy one, but I don't think it was going save Husqvarna. Comparatively speaking, if they sold 5,000 a year it would be peanuts in the big KTM/Bajaj picture and nobody even knows if they are sold at a profit. Nobody remember how $8,000 630's sold for $6,000 after BMW bought Husky. Maybe a preemptive strike. Pierer may have bought the marque but publishings by the partners sure sound like they have a piece of the pie.

KTM won't produce a Nuda, because that is based on a BMW engine and they would never get the right to it. The same holds for the Terra. BMW bought Husky, who do you think has the right to the new improved engine?

Loncin makes the engine under license to BMW, not Husqvarna. I want to know what the BMW/KTM contract say on this matter, as it appears BMW calls the shots. We already know they have no responsibility for service or parts.

I want to know what my dealer, who happens to be a BMW dealer, is going to do. There are no other Husky or KTM dealers within 90 miles.

I know what the differences are between a BMW F650 and a Terra version. It is significant, but mostly hard parts that should last a long time. I also know that they are so significant that no EFI off an existing BMW version bike is going to work on a Terra. I would like some assurance that the Morelli unit will be around awhile and some one knows how to work on them in a worse case scenario.

There should be some direction in a short period of time as it will effect sales of all the Husqvarnas.

I am a glass half empty kind of guy, the rest of you "Don't worry be Happy" types put your money down.
Already did ----
2000 DRZ "Burro"
Beemermcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:44 PM   #1824
BobPS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by 300win View Post
Octane rating. I am keen on the terra but in the specs it mentions 95 octane (RON) fuel only (Australia). Has anyone tried low octane or normal pump 91 octane (RON)? I am planning some trips with this bike where you are lucky to get normal fuel dropped for you let alone premium.
I like this bike, and thinking about getting it ... but having to use 95 octane... hmmm. In the city where I live (and most cities here) 95 octane is available everywhere.. but in small towns or on the road, most of the stations only sell 89 octane or 91 octane.
BobPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 01:53 AM   #1825
davorallyfan
Commonist

Oddometer: 15,787
Quote:

Lots of folk have not not ridden them - the engine is a pearler.
davorallyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:17 AM   #1826
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,276
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobPS View Post
I like this bike, and thinking about getting it ... but having to use 95 octane... hmmm. In the city where I live (and most cities here) 95 octane is available everywhere.. but in small towns or on the road, most of the stations only sell 89 octane or 91 octane.
You can run lower octane. Just be conscientious of your throttle hand and listening for any detonation.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:26 AM   #1827
Gedge
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Quote:
Thats what I did..and now have the Terra sitting in the garage...loving riding it..cant wait to try it out on some gravel instead of just tarmac
Gedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 01:12 PM   #1828
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,968
good catch. from KTM's buying perspective you are correct.
that will show the other mfg the price point to shoot for.

that list is also gonna tell every mfg. to make an affordable 250 dual-sport pronto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by farp View Post
By far the main reason mfgrs drop models is because they didn't sell. Check this out:

http://www.powersportstv.com/most-po...otorcycles.php

According to this site the Terra is the 2nd most popular model Husky makes - and it's just been introduced to the market!

I don't believe there's any way that Husky would drop the Terra when it's already as popular as it is and promises to be one of the best selling bikes they have.

I'll be picking mine up in about a week. Can't wait to take it for a ride.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com

eakins screwed with this post 02-07-2013 at 01:17 PM
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 01:21 PM   #1829
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,968
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullingG's View Post
Crap...I was really starting to get serious on the Terra. Now, my concern is what will happen with the dealer network. Before the Bavarians bought Husky, there were no dealers within a plane flight.
my guess is it will be better with KTM support and maybe even in all the existing KTM shops. in addition to the stand alone Husky dealers there are BMW dealer that have Husky too and those might go away (per the dealer's choice to drop) but then again a KTM back Husky might appeal more to other dealers who pick it up. I'm sure all KTM dealers will get a shot at it (if there is not an existing one too close). If KTM does not bring Husky into a good chunk of existing KTM or other dealers they have few places to sell the bike as there are not that many existing Husky dealers, when you factor in the BMW ones that might drop Husky. now what will happens with a dealer (KTM Husky) working on a Husky with a Rotax motor remains to be seen. You might need to rely on BMW working on it not KTM Husky.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com

eakins screwed with this post 02-07-2013 at 01:27 PM
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 01:39 PM   #1830
kawagumby
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 849
I bought my TR650 from a KTM dealer not a BMW dealer - ah what a twist of fate.