Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2013, 11:21 AM   #1891
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogre_fl View Post
The bigger question to me is if the Terra/Strada are actually money makers or only good sellers partially due to their pricing.
It's a great bike at a very reasonable price. Certainly price plays a part ... but a crap bike will fade fast. Looks like the Terra/Strada are KEEPERS.

Quote:
Assuming they can source the numerous BMW parts bin components. Are they currently priced at a realistic and profitable level or priced to get them into the market?
Not many parts come from BMW bins far as we can tell.

The newly up graded Terra/Strada motors were re-designed in either Berlin or Italy ...but ultimately built in China (Loncin).
Most electronics are probably Japanese (F.I. CDI et al) mostly likely Denso or Keihin), wheels? probably DID, Behr or Excel, frame? probably built in either Loncin or Italy under BMW supervision.

Quote:
Why was the X-Challenge a $9000 bike in 2007?
More importantly ... why was it "closed out" at the fire sale price of $6500 a year or so later? (nearly bought one!)

Quote:
Why are the similar yet long in the tooth (design long paid for) 650 GS's $7900 and Sertao $8700.
The price difference between the GS/Sertao even questions if the basic GS is a loser or break even bike to hook new customers.
Main answer about price is one word: C H I N A
But it's true, the GS series are sort of "loss leaders" for BMW with the goal of bringing in new BMW acolytes. Because of Made In China, they still make a profit.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:08 PM   #1892
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,406
OK I am a liar. The facts are out there folks, it gets frustrating to read some of these forum facts.

The engine in made by Loncin. At least most of it is, I am not sure about the head, as it is different than the one on the G 650/Sertao. In fact most of the differences are above the crankcase and that may be a saving grace for keeping one of these running, if its run ends.

Occasional problems on other bikes like the KLR are ruined cam bearings and burnt valves. Usually owner error, but could be a problem if you do it on this bike. The head is unique to the model. A BMW version may bolt on, but the differences will effect the timing.

The electronics are Martelli, an Italian firm. It is a fuel injected bike. On its spec sheet it clearly says Martelli engine management system with a closed loop injection and emission function. That spells computor and probably designed specifically for this engine. That may be a problem as they are expensive and based on the BMW G650 singles and F800s, are not reprogramable. Ever compare the cost of a fuel pump, controller and injectors compared to a carb? At least it does not have Canbus. That is reliable but expensive to replicate.

I don't know where the rest of parts are made, but they are all assembled in the new plant in Italy. Parts from those venders should be available.

Another seemly oddball part are the forks. 46mm Showa forks, hopefully are not built to BMW specs, as the F800 forks are. Does Showa even make another 46mm fork?

Compared to any of the old Japanese 650 models this bike is high tech. The KLR is made in Thailand. How can Husquarna sell this bike for $500 more and make a profit? If they don't, the answer is not to make more of them.

It is interesting that KTM already has included the Husqvarna bikes as a parts source: http://www.ktm-parts.com/13TR650T.html
Notice anything odd about it?

itsatdm screwed with this post 02-11-2013 at 02:38 PM
itsatdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 01:15 PM   #1893
RideAbout
Mentally Retired

Oddometer: 1,518
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsatdm View Post
OK I am a liar.
http://www.ktm-parts.com/13TR650T.html
Notice anything missing when you search for parts?
That the 2013 Terra is not listed? But then, no 13' Huskys are! That must mean the sky has indeed fallen and the Husky name is finished........

...... or they just haven"t added them to the database yet....
Old 02-11-2013, 01:25 PM   #1894
rockycraig
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 258
this bike fills a void

why is suzuki, honda, kawasaki had these carb bikes in the 650 class? and yamaha looks like they have one or two the tenere 660 and the xt660r i would buy if they would just bring them over here. so this bike fills a void that i think it will be popular enough to stay around, unfortunaly im gonna wait to see if they keep it. i dont wanna to buy a one hit wonder. its either sertao or terra single 650 class fuel injected. i hope more will follow and go terra.
rockycraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 01:56 PM   #1895
farp
DualsportBC Rider

Oddometer: 60
Quote:
OK I am a liar. The facts are out there folks, it gets frustrating to read some of these forum facts.

The engine in made by Loncin. At least most of it is, I am not sure about the head, as it is different than the one on the G 650/Sertao. In fact most of the differences are above the crankcase and that may be a saving grace for keeping one of these running, if its run ends.

Occasional problems on other bikes like the KLR are ruined cam bearings and burnt valves. Usually owner error, but could be a problem if you do it on this bike. The head is unique to the model. A BMW version may bolt on, but the differences will effect the timing.

The electronics are Martelli, an Italian firm. It is a fuel injected bike. On its spec sheet it clearly says Martelli engine management system with a closed loop injection and emission function. That spells computor and probably designed specifically for this engine. That may be a problem as they are expensive and based on the BMW f650singles and F800s, are not reprogramable. Ever compare the cost of a fuel pump, controller and injectors compared to a carb? At least it does not have Canbus. That is reliable but expensive to replicate.

I don't know where the rest of parts are made, but they are all assembled in the new plant in Italy. Parts from those venders should be available.

Another seemly oddball part are the forks. 46mm Showa forks, hopefully are not built to BMW specs, as the F800 forks are. Does Showa even make another 46mm fork? Just in case you need seals or bushings.

Compared to any of the old Japanese 650 models this bike is high tech. The KLR is made in Thailand. How can Husquarna sell this bike for $500 more and make a profit? If they don't, the answer is not to make more of them.

It is interesting that KTM already has included the Husqvarna bikes as a parts source: http://www.ktm-parts.com/13TR650T.html
Notice anything odd about it?
Uhmmmm..... not trying to stir the pot here but the front forks are Sachs, not Showa.
farp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 02:12 PM   #1896
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by farp View Post
Uhmmmm..... not trying to stir the pot here but the front forks are Sachs, not Showa.
Memory fade, you are right, I even researched all this once, thinking if the plug got pulled, there might be an opportunity to buy cheap and still keep it running. The BMW r1000? bushings and seals might work.

itsatdm screwed with this post 02-11-2013 at 02:29 PM
Old 02-11-2013, 03:07 PM   #1897
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by farp View Post
Quote:
Memory fade, you are right, I even researched all this once, thinking if the plug got pulled, there might be an opportunity to buy cheap and still keep it running. The BMW r1000? bushings and seals might work.
See ... you ARE a liar! Just kidding, I knew you meant Sachs. Reviews are pretty good on these latest units. Not many bikes besides Aprilia and Husky use them ... Are Sachs still a German outfit ... or Italian? ... by the way, ... the Italian electronics company is MARELLI not "Martelli".
Old 02-11-2013, 03:26 PM   #1898
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
See ... you ARE a liar! Just kidding, I knew you meant Sachs. Reviews are pretty good on these latest units. Not many bikes besides Aprilia and Husky use them ... Are Sachs still a German outfit ... or Italian? ... by the way, ... the Italian electronics company is MARELLI not "Martelli".
Its Karma, If you are critical of some one elses research you will get caught in a mistake.

From the original announcement, i have become convinced that this may be an orphan bike. I have posted my reasons and taken the heat.
I don't want to argue about it, as I feel it is more likely now. It may happen faster than I thought.

I have done a lot of research, not because I want to be an internet expert, nor would I rather do this than riding, but because I may buy one.

What an opportunity to get a good cheap bike. I wanted to know what the differences were compared to the BMW versions for future parts. Turns out there is a lot different, including Sachs forks and Martelli is a typo or a fine apple cider.

I need to look at parts list and wait for the official decision.

itsatdm screwed with this post 02-11-2013 at 03:37 PM
Old 02-11-2013, 03:43 PM   #1899
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Quote:
I need to look at parts list and wait for the official decision.
Yep, we'll all have to wait and see. I just can't believe Pierer will throw the Terra/Strada's under the bus. This bike, IMHO,
is a GO. They will build it and support it ... One way or the other.
Old 02-11-2013, 07:54 PM   #1900
dman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 560
I know this thread should be about the bike not the business, but this snippet of interview with Pierer is interesting as it puts the whole acquisition in the context of the global motorcycle business, and especially the huge market AND low cost manufacturing location that is India. In that big picture, the long-term plan for the Terra seems pretty insignificant.

http://www.moneycontrol.com/video/bu...s-_818643.html

-dman (Not a Terra owner yet, was very interested as a replacement for my DR and DL, but now waiting to see what happens next)
dman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:33 PM   #1901
JTucker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,212
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideAbout View Post
That the 2013 Terra is not listed? But then, no 13' Huskys are! That must mean the sky has indeed fallen and the Husky name is finished........

...... or they just haven"t added them to the database yet....
Bingo! Maybe we just picked up Husky a couple months ago and it takes forever to get anything out of them like price files and such. Possibly we should've waited until KTM bought them and we didn't have to go through the trouble, not to mention the expense of the BMW MOSS tool that will probably only ever be useful on one bike for one model year. We should be marking these up a grand over retail to try to not lose money, because that's what's up.

The $6999 retail is really a good price but we have a few and have sold exactly zero and have had little interest. The only people to ride the demo have been myself and another employee. The margin on these things are not much, not that we ever sell anything at retail but you can't come off retail much when you make a few hundred at best.
JTucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:29 PM   #1902
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,187
All right guys, i'd say we need to let Terra owner have their thread back and stop all the speculation of what might or might not happen.
I'm just as guilty.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 07:51 PM   #1903
rcd389
GSARIDER

Oddometer: 10
PLEASE, let's get this thread back to talking about the bike itself and the things we have done to them so far. I have one and am not worried about who owns the name Husqvarna. Manufactures get sold all the time and if it is a 1 year thing, well I have an unique bike. My brother has a Buell and he has not problem getting parts for it.

Ok, I just ordered the B&B skid plate, hose guard, radiator guard and disc protector. I am thinking about getting them powdercoated Black, depending on what that would cost. I will post some pics when I get all of it on. The weather is warming up around Vegas and I want to explore some of the old mining towns around here!
Old 02-12-2013, 08:19 PM   #1904
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Oddometer: 5,623
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, “You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I’m just not close enough to get the job done.”

George Carlin
Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:59 PM   #1905
Chuffa
TR650 Terra

Oddometer: 141
A previous post queried how these bikes would handle the summer heat...

For those of you awaiting the big 'defrost'... it's been around 105/41 degrees here for the better part of a week. My Terra has had no problem with the heat at all. You notice when the fan kicks in but I wear kevlar jeans all the time so I don't really feel the 'blowback' onto the leg. I do keep my toes on the pegs however, as the engine heat is noticeable on your feet.

I did have an overheating problem shortly after taking delivery of the bike, but that was only a bubble in the cooling system throwing off the temp sensor. Easily fixed & since then... no problems.

Lane splitting & filtering is legal here so I don't spend much time in slow traffic, but nonetheless, the Terra seems like it can cope with the heat. I'm lovin' it !!
Chuffa is offline   Reply With Quote