Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-2013, 05:34 PM   #2206
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,665
Quote:
Originally Posted by George 99 View Post
Can't find a used Strada or Terra anywhere. That could be a good thing.
they haven't been out long enough to put many in the used bike market - but there are new ones going for $6499 and at least one used one w/ 200 miles

http://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2...erra-109484852
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:35 PM   #2207
njoytheride
NJOYN' THE JOURNEY

Oddometer: 896
I bought my Husky from Road Trail and Track in Muskogee Oklahoma. Great Dealership to work with. Talked to owner when I took the bike in for the first service. Said they have sold severail Terra's and beside loosing BMW finance nothing expected to change for now. They did have a Terra and a Strada on the floor when I was there two weeks ago.
Very happy with the bike.
njoytheride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 12:45 AM   #2208
Ricky Chuck
Red Green Rulz!

Oddometer: 411
Holy Crap, I don't think they showed up on the husky dealer locator when I looked. And I thought Tulsa would be a long way to drive for a BMW shop, lol
Ricky Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 01:56 AM   #2209
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 8,379
Freedom Road has picked up all KTM/Husqvarna financing.

Sent from the voices in my head and transcribed by their drinking buddy...

Clinging to sanity, one motorcycle at a time.
RidingDonkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 10:47 AM   #2210
William42
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,558
It's Getting There

Waiting for SW-Motech crash bars and skid plate.
Old 04-05-2013, 11:43 AM   #2211
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 8,379
Quote:
Originally Posted by William42 View Post

Waiting for SW-Motech crash bars and skid plate.
But you have a skid plate? Not happy with the current model?

Clinging to sanity, one motorcycle at a time.
RidingDonkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 02:26 PM   #2212
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,732
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhorocks View Post
and here I am considering dropping my 950se for a 690 or 650... Cant make the decision... I like going fast.. thats my problem but want to drop some weight off the 950 and think the se is just overkill on dirt. great when you get to the street though.

If you want the bike, buy it. Internet opinions from unknown people bug me. I try to validate what I post. Lately I have been using info from this source. http://www.motociclismo.it/husqvarna...-cc-moto-54256

There is a 2 part interview plus Pierre's comments on the Nuda. He has gone 180 degrees from part 1. I think it is damage control, who knows now. The engine is heart and soul of the bike and BMW is non committal.

What I know is the factory is still cranking out all the models, including the Nuda. There are bikes in the pipeline.

He mentions the 10 year rule and I found the owner of Tesla has also. It dawned on me that a company that sells worldwide can't be regulated by one nation. If there is such a rule, it it probably passed by the World Trade Organisation. They do parts, proven by lawsuits against China.

My last 2 bikes have been orphans. A 92 TDM that is unique from the others, that I rode for 11 years. Currently I have 95 KLX650, last made in 1996. It has a German big bore piston, an unattainable 5 gal tank, Suzuki rear suspension and a non stock CDI. Some one will figure how to keep these bikes running in a worse case scenario.

itsatdm screwed with this post 04-05-2013 at 04:33 PM
itsatdm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 02:40 PM   #2213
Mobiker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,639
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsatdm View Post
If you want the bike, buy it. Internet opinions from unknown people bug me. I try to validate what I post. Lately I have been using info from this source. http://www.motociclismo.it/husqvarna...-cc-moto-54256

There is a part 2 plus Pierre's comments on the Nuda. He has gone 180 degrees from part 1. I think it is damage control, who knows now. The engine is heart and soul of the bike and BMW is non committal.
What I know is the factory is still cranking out all the models, including the Nuda. There are bikes in the pipeline.

He mentions the 10 year rule and I found the owner of Tesla has also. It dawned on me that a company that sells worldwide can't be regulated by one nation. If there is such a rule, it it probably passed by the World Trade Organisation. They do parts, proven by lawsuits against China.

My last 2 bikes have been orphans. A 92 TDM that is unique from the others, that I rode for 11 years. Currently I have 95 KLX650, last made in 1996. It has a German big bore piston, an unattainable 5 gal tank, Suzuki rear suspension and a non stock CDI. Some one will figure how to keep these bikes running in worse case scenario.
Could you expand on this? I don't read Italian. Appreciate it.

"Some one will figure how to keep these bikes running in worse case scenario"

My first thought was, "If there is enough interest to make it worthwhile."
Then I thought in these days of the internet, it would only take an individual who then posted it somewhere so you are probably right.
"If I was in a hurry, I'd left earlier."
Mobiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 03:03 PM   #2214
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

If you have Windows it should have a translate feature. It is hard to follow the translation or get to other pages.

Part 1 he talks about buying Husky, states it loses 20 mil a year and blames it on BMW's selection of models. His cure sounds like dumping those and making the marque more dirt orientated, with inferences that KTM supply many of the parts. He downgrades the markets in the west and indicates that the small displacement bikes for the emerging markets is where he wants to be.

Pt 2 he retracts some and states he wants to keep a 650 presence, both dirt and street and even keep the street version of the Nuda

The Nuda thread basically is a letter dated 3-30-2013 to employees and I assume franchises, assuring them that it is business as usual with all models still being made.

There is a short interview with some mucky muck from BMW about engines. Typical non committal answer.

Very contradictory. My opinion is the last 2 are damage control. The buy out and his initial statements, I know has hurt sales.

Personally I think his intent is to make it a low cost, small displacement clone of KTM models. BMW owns that engine and it can't be cheap to keep buying them. Some where, some body has stated BMW's intention is to incoorporate the Husqvarna upgrades into their own models. Which makes sense, they paid for them.

itsatdm screwed with this post 04-05-2013 at 03:12 PM
Old 04-05-2013, 03:04 PM   #2215
George 99
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 772
Husky parts locator sez the hard side bags and mounts are not available. Anyone know different? I see William42 has the mounts on his Terra, are those OEM or after market?

BTW, William, are you coming to Moonshine a week from tomorrow (4-13)? Time for a Moon 'Burger. And I'd luv to see yur bike in person.
Old 04-05-2013, 03:48 PM   #2216
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
. BMW owns that engine and it can't be cheap to keep buying them.
When Ford bought Land Rover from BMW the latter kept supplying Range Rover engines for a few years.

I read somewhere in the British press that Ford was anxious to redesign the vehicles and use their own Jaguar engines because BMW was charging them more for the engines than the cost of producing the rest of the vehicle.

Moral of the story: don't expect them to keep sourcing the engines through BMW longer than they have to.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 04:53 PM   #2217
Mobiker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,639
Quote:
If you have Windows it should have a translate feature. It is hard to follow the translation or get to other pages.

Part 1 he talks about buying Husky, states it loses 20 mil a year and blames it on BMW's selection of models. His cure sounds like dumping those and making the marque more dirt orientated, with inferences that KTM supply many of the parts. He downgrades the markets in the west and indicates that the small displacement bikes for the emerging markets is where he wants to be.

Pt 2 he retracts some and states he wants to keep a 650 presence, both dirt and street and even keep the street version of the Nuda

The Nuda thread basically is a letter dated 3-30-2013 to employees and I assume franchises, assuring them that it is business as usual with all models still being made.

There is a short interview with some mucky muck from BMW about engines. Typical non committal answer.

Very contradictory. My opinion is the last 2 are damage control. The buy out and his initial statements, I know has hurt sales.

Personally I think his intent is to make it a low cost, small displacement clone of KTM models. BMW owns that engine and it can't be cheap to keep buying them. Some where, some body has stated BMW's intention is to incoorporate the Husqvarna upgrades into their own models. Which makes sense, they paid for them.
Thank you. I ignorantly didn't even know there was a translator built into windows.

I read a translated version of part one somewhere. Might have been Cafe Husky. Not sure. I know SP was unequivocal about killing the Nuda so this is a complete turn around.

"...BMW's intention is to incoorporate the Husqvarna upgrades into their own models. Which makes sense, they paid for them."
I've suspected that we would see the engine improvements in future G650gs's. As you say it makes sense. The guys in the earlier posted Motorcyclist video really seem to love the engine - as do the owners in this thread.
"If I was in a hurry, I'd left earlier."
Mobiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:54 PM   #2218
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,665
Quote:
Part 1 [snip]He downgrades the markets in the west and indicates that the small displacement bikes for the emerging markets is where he wants to be.

The first part may have been a little Bajaj talking....since that market for small bikes is huge.

Would seem strange to downgrade the Western market - KTM likely wouldn't be where it is today were it not for the volume of bikes the US market can move.
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 10:45 PM   #2219
DYNOBOB
lucky dog

Oddometer: 943
It seems inaccurate to me to call the TR's engine a BMW engine. It's a Husky engine, Rotax/BMW derived, built by Loncin in a contract w/ Husky. Husky may in fact be obligated to purchase X amount of units for X period of time so Loncin recoups their tooling cost. Also don't see where Husky continuing to purchase the unit from Loncin prevents BMW from using a similar spec engine.

DYNOBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 11:22 PM   #2220
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Call it what you want then. The basic design is Rotax/ BMW. BMW owned Husqvarna at the time and BMW engineers were part of the team that upgraded the engine. BMW has licenced Loncin to produce both the BMW 650's version of the engine for itself (G650/Sertao) as well as the version used by Husqvarna. They allow Loncin to use the F650 engine in its Loncin branded bikes sold in China. BMW original agreement with Loncin started in 2005.

I think BMW, not Husqvarna owns the right to engine and I know that they permit Loncin to sell only to them or for internal use. The fact the magazine is asking a BMW executive about the engines seems evidence of that.

Loncin's deal is with BMW and probably very happy to have it. In fact there is a F800 assembly line for future use. Loncin produces and sells some models of BMW cars in China.

I am equally sure the Pierre will be free to put any other engine in that bike.

itsatdm screwed with this post 04-06-2013 at 12:12 AM