Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-2012, 12:51 AM   #211
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Oddometer: 5,623
In the XChallenge, drop a tooth at the front and it would just tractor up any crappy rock strewn hill around, yet still sit on 120-130 kph easily, so not convinced a Rekluse is necessary in this motor, as long as the ratios are the same. The torque of this motor and its efi fuelling would allow crisp response off idle and no stalling at low revs, helped even more if fitted with a Booster Plug to richer up the mixture a bit.

Hope the motors characteristics are the same or better than the XChallenge.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, “You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I’m just not close enough to get the job done.”

George Carlin
Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 01:11 AM   #212
SamM
Jeep Overlander

Oddometer: 1,469
I'm sure that the Rekluse isn't necessary but it's a nice option to have. It's a little pricey but when the going gets tough the Rekluse would be nice to have. Of course, it's a street bike, so nobody will buy it anyway! LOL! The TR will replace both my KLR and my KLX.
SamM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 02:43 AM   #213
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,330
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamM View Post
Please pardon the interuption but... doesn't Rekluse make an auto-clutch for the Rotax 650 engine? That's going to help the off-roadability of TR a good bit. I sure hope it fits. The more I look into this bike the more I like it.
Yup, they make a Z-Start pro for the Rotax. So as long as the clutch is unchanged - which is likely - it should still fit.
Old 09-26-2012, 03:01 AM   #214
SamM
Jeep Overlander

Awesome! Thanks for the info Lukas. I'm stacking all my money up for a late December or early January purchase. Hopefully, the dealer will have one for me to look at next month. Can't wait!
Old 09-26-2012, 03:12 AM   #215
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,330
My dealer here said probably not before December.

Are you dropping the twin project or is that still on?
Old 09-26-2012, 03:27 AM   #216
SamM
Jeep Overlander

I'd still like to build it but the whole thing is a bit more than I wanted to get into. I've been forced to look at it a completely different way. The project is going to take much longer than I imagined. The new Husky sort of parallels what I was doing with my KLR anyway. I may as well get one. I do have a plan for the twin but I'll probably sell it, once it's finished. The frame didn't work out the way I hoped it would. Long story!
Old 09-26-2012, 07:00 AM   #217
SBG
Neville1 to TT boys

Oddometer: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxbundy View Post
The old one must have been a bear to corner though, there is no way you get forward and weight the front end for a tight corner with that big old tank in the way.

Bundy
If you actually check the lowest points on the seat to the swingarm pivot, it appears to be the same, so you can get as far forward on the old one as the new one, and once you consider these are adventure bikes, the odds of running an MX style where you are sitting on the tank and cornering flat don't seem to mix.

I think the big 4 are missing the boat that KTM, Husky and Beta are on, and that's making a nice 450-500cc bike that's light and has great suspension. If Yamaha made a WR450-650 and tossed on a 4 gallon tank, it would be perfect, especially if it weighed between 270-310 with a seat height no larger than 37".

All these 250's are bait, and they could pull a lot more people if they made the displacement to pull highways for at least an hour ride. I don't want to be on a 250 in morning traffic and struggle to pass with an engine winding out at 12,000 rpm most of the way.

I think KTM made a huge mistake dropping Husabergs biggest bore dual sport. I would have loved to see sales figures between that and their new 500.
Old 09-26-2012, 07:25 AM   #218
JustRon
ex-broadwayron

Oddometer: 904
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butters View Post
Look, I totally understand people's disappointment with the loss of the 610/630. But just because the 630 is gone at the same time as the 650 appears doesn't mean it is a replacement. It is a new bike targeting a different demographic. That demographic is people inclined to buy KLRs and G650s, which is a pretty sizeable demographic in the dualsport world.

Most people riding 610/630s likely never considered a KLR or a G650GS. They more likely considered something like a G650X or KTM. Which happens to be a smaller demographic than the KLR/G650GS crowd.

So if you want a single cylinder "adventure bike" geared more toward the dirt, which would you choose? Given the competition, I would take this over either the KLR or the BMW - no contest. You could spend a lot of money upgrading a DR650, but other than reliability, you won't have anything near as nice.

If you're looking for a TE630/610 replacement - sorry, they're gone. Yes it sucks, but it really has nothing to do with the Terra, or the Nuda, or the alignment of the stars. It was targeted for a different demographic that Husky/BMW doesn't feel like targeting anymore. And frankly, I don't like that, but I understand it from their business perspective.
As an ex-610 owner, I fully agree with the post above.
Old 09-26-2012, 11:45 AM   #219
mrt10x
Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer: 3,166
My thoughts..because you give a sh#t what I think I am both disappointed and pleased with the new Husky. Having never owned a Husky in the past I have no emotional axe to grind with the fine folks over at BMW for killing the beloved 6xx line. I will say that you Husky owners might feel grateful for BMW saving Husky from once again falling into the financial ruin they have been mired in in the past. Husky sales are up 70%, at least in the US, since BMW took over the reins. With BMW ownership there is probably a good chance you will be able to get spares for the bikes you currently own for years to come, not so sure that would have been the case if Husky had once again gone into bankruptcy oblivion. Now you may tag me as some BMW fanboy because you see that I have a GSA in my signature line, but that is not true, I would switch it out for a KTM 690 in a second if I thought I could swing it financially and I thought the 690 could be a world traveler.

Which is where my dissapointment comes in. When I first started hearing rumors of the new Husky 650 with the BMW Rotax engine I was truly excited about the potential. I was hoping they would finally produce the bike that the G650X could have been. Great engine that could go 3-5k between oil changes, not need a rebuild at 50k, get rid of the crappy front suspension and that air shock, keep it in the 330lb range. Basically the bike Colebatch has built, and the bike that everyone wishes the 690 could truly be. No way that bike would have cost less than 10k $ though.

So the quest continues... do I buy a 690 and spend the extra $3-4000 needed to turn it into an adventure bike? Look for a used G650x and copy Walters build? Try to turn my 570 into an adventure bike?? (doubtful) Or buy the ridiculously overweight new Husky? I guess I am never happy

For those of you lamenting the demise of the Husky 600 series.. what exactly could a Husky 610/630 do that a new KTM 500 cant?
Old 09-26-2012, 11:51 AM   #220
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,290
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrt10x View Post
For those of you lamenting the demise of the Husky 600 series.. what exactly could a Husky 610/630 do that a new KTM 500 cant?
Two questions about the KTM:

1. What is the MSRP?
2. Is if 50-state street legal from the factory?
Old 09-26-2012, 11:59 AM   #221
mrt10x
Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer: 3,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian™ View Post
Two questions about the KTM:

1. What is the MSRP?
2. Is if 50-state street legal from the factory?
1. Just under 10k,, ,which is around what the Husky original MSRP was,,, wasnt it?
2. yes 50 state legal from the factory, wide ratio 6 speed transmition.
Old 09-26-2012, 12:10 PM   #222
Navin
Unwounding

Oddometer: 6,671
For those of you lamenting the demise of the Husky 600 series.. what exactly could a Husky 610/630 do that a new KTM 500 cant?[/QUOTE]

The 600 series TE (410-570) are actually the first genetics that evolved into the first Husabergs and then RFS KTMs and all that followed. The better question is what Husky can do what the 6XX bikes did? Match weight, power and history? not the 449, not the Rotax. None can. The 630 was an awesome generation of the classic mill and the neat single tube frame was super thin at the pegs.

The KTM is a lighter iteration of the design, I had a 610, it was just a heavier version of my EXC520. Great bike but when I had to choose between them the heavier one went down the road. The only bike that holds any appeal to me now is the 250/310s. Even they lack the gears to cover my needs so in reality, no Husky appeals to me when I reach for my wallet! The same can be said of every BMW single ever built, so it is no surprise I guess.
Navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 12:18 PM   #223
SBG
Neville1 to TT boys

Oddometer: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrt10x View Post

Ride two up if necessary.

I found this link, but I honestly think if the subframe isn't built for it, you will have issues.
http://www.ktmforums.com/forums/bike...motorbike.html
Old 09-26-2012, 03:03 PM   #224
motorjon68
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 412
I have had a KTM 950 ADV, DR650, DRZ400,650 Dakar, XT600 and just sold a KTM 640 ADV. I'm currently babysitting a KLR and I LOVE it. It's a cosmetic nightmare but it is a great bike. I'm no David Knight. I wanna ride back roads, gravel and some jeep trails. If this is a Euro KLR then I'm in. I'm the buyer they had in mind. Mike Abt at Countryside BMW said he will have them in mid-October. I think this is the bike I have been waiting for.
Old 09-26-2012, 03:36 PM   #225
415MC
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
It's kinda like if you took a XR650R and added 100 lbs without actually improving anything. Or maybe added power to a KLR but removed the fairings and made parts more expensive. Am I missing something?[/QUOTE]

I am in love with XRRs (I've owned three) but I think this bike will have some major advantages over the BRP: EFI, E-start, powerful charging system, STREET LEGAL, subframe that can handle more than a duffle bag filled with socks, and you can actually buy a new one instead of a clapped out 5 -13yr old used bike.

The TR650 might be a bike that makes me break out the checkbook and head to the dealer. I'm anxious to see some real ride reviews--especially from a former XRR owner.