ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-09-2013, 11:16 AM   #2251
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome
 
RidingDonkeys's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Southern Pines, North Carolina, USA
Oddometer: 7,172
For those of you not on CafeHusky, you might want to head over there and checkout this thread. All the resources you need....minus the wiring diagrams.

http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/hus...8/#post-295945
__________________
Clinging to sanity, one motorcycle at a time.
RidingDonkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 11:32 AM   #2252
LosOsos
New Old Guy
 
Joined: Mar 2013
Location: Grass Valley CA.
Oddometer: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by RidingDonkeys View Post
For those of you not on CafeHusky, you might want to head over there and checkout this thread. All the resources you need....minus the wiring diagrams.

http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/hus...8/#post-295945

Perfect ... Thanks RD.
LosOsos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 12:57 PM   #2253
George 99
Studly Adventurer
 
George 99's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Kingman, Arizona
Oddometer: 770
Quote:
Originally Posted by RidingDonkeys View Post
Service manual says check every 10,000km. Of course, adjustment may not be necessary.
10,000 K is 6200 miles or there 'bouts. Our Honda STs recommend every 8,000. Some of those bikes have gone over 100,000 with no shim changes. I check mine about every 20,000 or so (lots of moderate highway miles) and have changed a few shims but infrequent. That's with over 400,000 miles accumulated among 3 bikes. Assume similar metallurgy is shared among all the shim/bucket valve systems, should be good for a long time.
__________________
George
Sometimes in Kingman, Arizona
George 99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 04:30 PM   #2254
wolftrax
Gnarly Adventurer
 
wolftrax's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Blue Ridge Mtns Ga.
Oddometer: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by RidingDonkeys View Post
For those of you not on CafeHusky, you might want to head over there and checkout this thread. All the resources you need....minus the wiring diagrams.

http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/hus...8/#post-295945
When I bought my TR at Eurosports, they downloaded this to my flash drive. Still is a great find and resource!
__________________
2014 Honda CRF250L
2013 Husky TR 650
1990 KLR650
wolftrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 06:58 PM   #2255
desertridernm
Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Oddometer: 21
Terra and Strada to be discontinued

May 2013 issue of Motocross Action magazine includes a reader question - What will happen to the Terra and Strada after buyout by KTM? Magazine response- "They will be discontinued since they are powered by BMW licensed engines (and BMW did not include the engines in the sale). BMW also owns the rights to the TC449 engine, but that is no great loss to Husqvarna."
desertridernm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:51 PM   #2256
Beemermcr
Big, Dumb, Happy!
 
Beemermcr's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2002
Location: Sandy, UT
Oddometer: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertridernm View Post
May 2013 issue of Motocross Action magazine includes a reader question - What will happen to the Terra and Strada after buyout by KTM? Magazine response- "They will be discontinued since they are powered by BMW licensed engines (and BMW did not include the engines in the sale). BMW also owns the rights to the TC449 engine, but that is no great loss to Husqvarna."
Now that's a source---
__________________
Paul Baird
Sandy, UT
2013 Husky/BMW/KTM Terra
2000 DRZ "Burro"
Beemermcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 09:18 PM   #2257
George 99
Studly Adventurer
 
George 99's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Kingman, Arizona
Oddometer: 770
Waiting... Waiting... Waiting...
__________________
George
Sometimes in Kingman, Arizona
George 99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:31 PM   #2258
kurvenkrycher
n00b out of passion
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Location: close to vikings home
Oddometer: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemermcr View Post
Now that's a source---
Well, Stefan Pierer already told multiple times that he has neither the rights nor interest in BMWs enginges. Neither single nor twin. And even if produced by Loncin, the 650 is still a BMW motor. Statet here multiple times correctly.

And while the price Mr. Pierer paid for Husqvarna is disclosed, the usual (trusty?) whistle-blowers are sure, it was a bargain for him. So BWM for sure has no interest selling its engines for nuts to Husqvarna. They are out of the game. Uncelar are only the conditions under which Husqvarna has to buy spare parts for its support liabilities. So spare parts for the current lineup could become costly. Just a wild guess, but there is not much else to wonder about.

Pierer also claimed initially, that he has no interest in Husqvarnas current street line and that in the long term Austria will Benefit more than italy from this deal (could be interpreted as closing the factory in long term as he also foresees the first motorcycles being produced in india within the next 2 years), however, in at least one later interview he seemed to have changed his mind as to see some real potential in the Terra. Whatever that means.

So the question is not wether the current Terra 650 is dead or not. It (most likely) is. So get one, while you can.
The question is: Will there be a comparable Terra 690? Without that MOSS electronics, with WP Suspension, lighter due to the engine and still without a premium price tag? Albeit for sure more expensive?

And if, will Husqvara be able or allowed to tame KTMs 690 enginge to something usable for a touring machine like the current Terra? Maybe even first KTM based motor ever to actually be rideabe AND fun in the low and medium revs? Or will it be just an el cheapo 690Enduro in touring disguise or even a bike for the wannabe hardcore crowd without the bucks for the real thing?

kurvenkrycher screwed with this post 04-10-2013 at 12:38 PM
kurvenkrycher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 05:30 PM   #2259
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t
 
Blakebird's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: Parker, CO
Oddometer: 14,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurvenkrycher View Post
Uncelar are only the conditions under which Husqvarna has to buy spare parts for its support liabilities. So spare parts for the current lineup could become costly.Just a wild guess,
wild guess indeed.... there's no reason to believe parts prices will inflate.
__________________
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 09:16 PM   #2260
Beemermcr
Big, Dumb, Happy!
 
Beemermcr's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2002
Location: Sandy, UT
Oddometer: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurvenkrycher View Post
Well, Stefan Pierer already told multiple times that he has neither the rights nor interest in BMWs enginges. Neither single nor twin. And even if produced by Loncin, the 650 is still a BMW motor. Statet here multiple times correctly.

And while the price Mr. Pierer paid for Husqvarna is disclosed, the usual (trusty?) whistle-blowers are sure, it was a bargain for him. So BWM for sure has no interest selling its engines for nuts to Husqvarna. They are out of the game. Uncelar are only the conditions under which Husqvarna has to buy spare parts for its support liabilities. So spare parts for the current lineup could become costly. Just a wild guess, but there is not much else to wonder about.

Pierer also claimed initially, that he has no interest in Husqvarnas current street line and that in the long term Austria will Benefit more than italy from this deal (could be interpreted as closing the factory in long term as he also foresees the first motorcycles being produced in india within the next 2 years), however, in at least one later interview he seemed to have changed his mind as to see some real potential in the Terra. Whatever that means.

So the question is not wether the current Terra 650 is dead or not. It (most likely) is. So get one, while you can.
The question is: Will there be a comparable Terra 690? Without that MOSS electronics, with WP Suspension, lighter due to the engine and still without a premium price tag? Albeit for sure more expensive?

And if, will Husqvara be able or allowed to tame KTMs 690 enginge to something usable for a touring machine like the current Terra? Maybe even first KTM based motor ever to actually be rideabe AND fun in the low and medium revs? Or will it be just an el cheapo 690Enduro in touring disguise or even a bike for the wannabe hardcore crowd without the bucks for the real thing?
Pierer has said a lot of things and seems to be moderating his original position(s); remember, he bought a business losing large amounts of cash, with only a few bright spots in the lineup, one of which is the TR650. Time will tell what his options are and what he chooses to do.

I have my Terra, happily, and have sold my big GSA, so I am fine whatever direction Husky goes. One reminder: Pierer stated early on that Husky was going to be positioned to compete against the Japanese bikes: up marketing the line to KTM pricing, dealer competence and temperament seems contra to that positioning.

This is a remarkable bike with an incredible price/value - I know of no other bike that offers the versatility (thanks Rugged Exposure!), power, suspension, braking and plain fun of the Terra/Strada; let's see if Pierer figures that out.
__________________
Paul Baird
Sandy, UT
2013 Husky/BMW/KTM Terra
2000 DRZ "Burro"
Beemermcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 03:28 AM   #2261
mario33
Howling around...
 
mario33's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Warsaw, Poland
Oddometer: 145
Rumours are still rumours, no matter how many times more Mr Itsatdm try to tell you otherwise.

Lets recap latest statement from Pierer Industries sent to HVA dealers (15 march):
- both Nuda and Terra/Strada are still being produced and there are NO plans to stop the production;
- HVA will keep their promise to supply service and parts for sold vehicles for the period of no less than 10 years.

Translated via Google:

Quote:
"Following the information provided by Pierer Industries AG on Friday, March 15, Husqvarna Motorcycles Ltd. expressly confirms the ongoing production, sale and service of the entire range, including models recently introduced Terra and Strada 650 and the new Nuda 900 ABS. "
"In order to avoid any kind of roumours on the market after the change of ownership, we want to clearly point out that both now and in the future spare parts and after-sales Husqvarna is fully guaranteed (even over 10 years of legal obligation applied to every manufacturer). "
"The goal is to remain a premium brand on a global level, bearing in mind the great heritage and the strong tradition of the brand, the philosophy of sport."
"Since this anniversary (Husqvarna celebrates 110 years these days, ed) is a great opportunity for the promotion of sales of the current range, Husqvarna is pleased to announce the launch of an international campaign dedicated to the anniversary."
"The various segments Offroad - which have always been the core business to Husqvarna - will remain crucial and primary for the growth and future success"
No space for speculation right ?
__________________
| Husky TR650 Terra'13 - Lady in Red 2 |
| http://bikepics.com/members/mario33/|

mario33 screwed with this post 04-11-2013 at 03:38 AM
mario33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 05:02 AM   #2262
Beemermcr
Big, Dumb, Happy!
 
Beemermcr's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2002
Location: Sandy, UT
Oddometer: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by mario33 View Post
Rumours are still rumours, no matter how many times more Mr Itsatdm try to tell you otherwise.

Lets recap latest statement from Pierer Industries sent to HVA dealers (15 march):
- both Nuda and Terra/Strada are still being produced and there are NO plans to stop the production;
- HVA will keep their promise to supply service and parts for sold vehicles for the period of no less than 10 years.

Translated via Google:



No space for speculation right ?
And why does it seem the most adamant doomsayers, for the most part, not *own* one of our bikes!
__________________
Paul Baird
Sandy, UT
2013 Husky/BMW/KTM Terra
2000 DRZ "Burro"
Beemermcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 05:20 AM   #2263
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome
 
RidingDonkeys's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Southern Pines, North Carolina, USA
Oddometer: 7,172
We should just start a thread entitled "The Stefan Pierer Husqvarna Business Strategy Thread" and move all this nonsense there.
__________________
Clinging to sanity, one motorcycle at a time.
RidingDonkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 08:18 AM   #2264
Some Dude
what attitude problem???
 
Some Dude's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2003
Location: Woodstock, GA
Oddometer: 4,675
It is 100% up to Pierer if the 650, 900 and 449/511 stays in the line up. He got the whole line up without any strings attached from BMW. This whole licensing thing, blah blah blah is rubbish. The TR's have been responsible for over 35% of HSQ sales since it's delivery late last year and that's significant. It would be very silly to discontinue it if there isn't a suitable replacement. If Pierer wants to truly compete against the offerings from Japan both on and off road, the Terra is a home run!

I doubt we'll see a G650GS in BMW's line-up come 2014 anyhow, I'm willing to bet they have something in the pipeline to replace it by 2015 for sure.
__________________
Just some dude on the internet,..
Some Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 08:45 AM   #2265
trainman
Gnarly Adventurer
 
trainman's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Oddometer: 388
Why BMW stopped producing the 650 X Challenge I will never know, I suppose at the time they didn't sell well, but in todays market they are highly desirable. I thought with BMW buying Husqvarna this was their chance to get into the dirt bike market and let BMW Motard stay as the upper scale bike that it is. Boy was I wrong.

John
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:19 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014