ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-17-2013, 08:18 PM   #2311
lrgart
Adventurer
 
lrgart's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: St. Louis MO
Oddometer: 47
HOLY CRAP Rugged Exposure

That thing is bad ass!
lrgart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 03:33 AM   #2312
Ol'NumNuts
Getting Stupider
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: Brisvegas, Gods Own Country
Oddometer: 262
Hey with a name like Muddler you shouldn't be knocking the 'Barbed Wire' beer...

Actually my local bottl'o recently had a promotion on Bud's....

Well not as good as our finest... But not too shabby... I wouldn't mind washing a days dust down with a few...
__________________
Out of 10,000,000 sperm, YOU! Were the one who WON! So, Do your Mamma Proud.... Go Hard! Or go home.... Cheers, Havagoodone....
Ol'NumNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 04:58 AM   #2313
Muddler
Studly Adventurer
 
Muddler's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Dardanup, Western Australia
Oddometer: 707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol'NumNuts View Post
Hey with a name like Muddler you shouldn't be knocking the 'Barbed Wire' beer...

Actually my local bottl'o recently had a promotion on Bud's....

Well not as good as our finest... But not too shabby... I wouldn't mind washing a days dust down with a few...
Fair anuff numnuts (you're one to talk)
I just wanted to stir up our Yankee friends
They all taste pretty good after a couple
Muddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 10:38 AM   #2314
RuggedExposure
wandering the desert
 
RuggedExposure's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Hermanas, NM (on the US/Mex border past BFE)
Oddometer: 1,223
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol'NumNuts View Post
Hey with a name like Muddler you shouldn't be knocking the 'Barbed Wire' beer...

Actually my local bottl'o recently had a promotion on Bud's....

Well not as good as our finest... But not too shabby... I wouldn't mind washing a days dust down with a few...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddler View Post
Fair anuff numnuts (you're one to talk)
I just wanted to stir up our Yankee friends
They all taste pretty good after a couple
You can't tell me Foster's is a great beer...
__________________
The fear and dread of you will fall on all the beasts of the earth

Border Road 100 Border Road Rally Raid
'13 Husky Terra 650, '08 Kawasaki Meanstreak 1600, '95 DR350S
RuggedExposure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:07 AM   #2315
RuggedExposure
wandering the desert
 
RuggedExposure's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Hermanas, NM (on the US/Mex border past BFE)
Oddometer: 1,223
Has anyone found an air filter cheaper than this one?
http://www.ktm-parts.com/8539189.html#.UXA0C7WsiSo


If so where at? Which brand? Part number?
__________________
The fear and dread of you will fall on all the beasts of the earth

Border Road 100 Border Road Rally Raid
'13 Husky Terra 650, '08 Kawasaki Meanstreak 1600, '95 DR350S
RuggedExposure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 02:17 PM   #2316
avianello
Gnarly Adventurer
 
avianello's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Standish, Maine - Venezia, Italia
Oddometer: 108
Husqvarna to end production of new bikes in August!

Today's article of Motociclismo says that production of motorcycles in the Italian factory will end in August. It should restart partially in one year, but who knows if it will ever open again...
http://www.motociclismo.it/husqvarna...one-moto-54772
__________________
2000 Aprilia Pegaso 650, 2009 Suzuki TU250X, 1987 Honda Transalp 600 and Vespa 125

avianello screwed with this post 04-18-2013 at 02:28 PM
avianello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 03:53 PM   #2317
Scaredofthedirt
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Oddometer: 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by RuggedExposure View Post
You can't tell me Foster's is a great beer...
Well of course Fosters is cats piss.

Surely you didn't think us Ozzies were that dumb to export the good stuff.....
Scaredofthedirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 04:22 AM   #2318
Muddler
Studly Adventurer
 
Muddler's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Dardanup, Western Australia
Oddometer: 707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scaredofthedirt View Post
Well of course Fosters is cats piss.

Surely you didn't think us Ozzies were that dumb to export the good stuff.....
+1, no one drinks that shit
You need to try Boags RE!
Muddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 06:07 PM   #2319
thumper477
retired but not dead yet
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: e.tennessee-twisty road heaven!
Oddometer: 42
Just pulled the trigger on a tr650 Terra

Put down a deposit on a terra this morning.Purchased it from Eurosport in Asheville,NC.Very nice folks to deal with.They are going to flash the computer with the latest software to make sure it will not have the stalling/surging issues that have been reported by some owners.I think they might have one terra left.Sale price 6,000,no shipping or set up fees.99 dollar doc fee.Waiting for the skid plate to come in.Will p/u bike in 1-2 weeks.Can't wait.
thumper477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 06:46 PM   #2320
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams
 
Adv Grifter's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Passing ADV Stalkers in California
Oddometer: 6,128
Motorcyclist Top Review of Terra ... DR650 trashed

Anybody read latest Motorcyclist mag? Editor Cook does an editorial whinging about how much money he wasted on his DR650 ... only to discover how much better the new Terra is. Later in the issue they compare the KLR, Terra and KTM 690E. The KLR sort of won the shoot out based on editors comments but the Terra really got the most positive comments and was clearly the most fun. Everyone hated the KTM.

My question is ... will the Terra be as tough and reliable as the DR650? I think Cook suffers from HP Penis envy and is seduced by the 13 extra HP the Terra has over the DR650. The DR was never compared or mentioned in the test.

Kudos to Husky ... how stupid would they be to discontinue this GREAT bike?
I hope someone at KTM is paying attention out there!
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 09:19 PM   #2321
Beemermcr
Big, Dumb, Happy!
 
Beemermcr's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2002
Location: Sandy, UT
Oddometer: 293
BRMoto/Wolfman Pannier Racks!!

Same as posted in Cafe Husky:

Well, I just met Berg and got my Terra back with the BRMoto/Wolfman side racks!! Very solid setup that gives me the TERRFORMER-style racks with no welding on my part! Berg designed the cross-member to support the tail; with the cross-member and 6 mounting bolts, this rack does *not* move! I think you could lift the whole bike from the racks!! Low-quality pictures will hopefully get posted tomorrow.

I am using the Seahorse 720s for commuting and had Berg bring me a set of his "top loader conversion kit"(my term, not his): this kit takes a standard side-loading Pelican type bag and makes it a top-loader!! It has plastic inserts that make a box of the lid that closes snugly into the base. Web straps limit opening and allow "stuffing" without the lid falling open! Very excited to try these, as the top-loading cases are either too small, too large or too expensive!

Also got BRMoto's kit that provides quick-release mounts that connect the 720s to the racks.

Very worthwhile sacrifice of my bike for a week!! And I wish Berg good weather as he unwinds with a little Utah dirt and sand dune riding!! Guess Wyoming is still pretty snowed in!!
__________________
Paul Baird
Sandy, UT
2013 Husky/BMW/KTM Terra
2000 DRZ "Burro"
Beemermcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 02:47 AM   #2322
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome
 
RidingDonkeys's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Southern Pines, North Carolina, USA
Oddometer: 7,648
Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper477 View Post
Put down a deposit on a terra this morning.Purchased it from Eurosport in Asheville,NC.Very nice folks to deal with.They are going to flash the computer with the latest software to make sure it will not have the stalling/surging issues that have been reported by some owners.I think they might have one terra left.Sale price 6,000,no shipping or set up fees.99 dollar doc fee.Waiting for the skid plate to come in.Will p/u bike in 1-2 weeks.Can't wait.
Eurosport has been awesome to deal with. I passed 2 different Husky dealers on my way to buy one from Justin. Mine came off the floor running RIGHT. It has been a blast thus far, and they still have a stash of parts waiting on me in back that will "Terra-fy" my Strada.
__________________
Clinging to sanity, one motorcycle at a time.
RidingDonkeys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 03:17 AM   #2323
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome
 
RidingDonkeys's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Southern Pines, North Carolina, USA
Oddometer: 7,648
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Anybody read latest Motorcyclist mag? Editor Cook does an editorial whinging about how much money he wasted on his DR650 ... only to discover how much better the new Terra is. Later in the issue they compare the KLR, Terra and KTM 690E. The KLR sort of won the shoot out based on editors comments but the Terra really got the most positive comments and was clearly the most fun. Everyone hated the KTM.

My question is ... will the Terra be as tough and reliable as the DR650? I think Cook suffers from HP Penis envy and is seduced by the 13 extra HP the Terra has over the DR650. The DR was never compared or mentioned in the test.

Kudos to Husky ... how stupid would they be to discontinue this GREAT bike?
I hope someone at KTM is paying attention out there!
As someone who was dead set on a DR650 before I rode the TR650, I can see where he is coming from. It took me about 20 minutes of a test ride to know that the TR650 was the CLEAR winner in the price range.

With a $6k base price, I would have easily have spent over $500 just getting started modding the DR with a Mikuni TM40 carb, then another $300+ on an exhaust. So my first two mods would have put me over the cost of a TR650, and still not gotten me the same kind of throttle response the TR has. Then, I still have to address a couple other areas, starting with the wretched seat.

The DR650 is a great machine, and it has its merits, namely weight and dependability. However, the extra few hundred spent on a TR650 starts you out with a much better bike that won't need any mods. So I see where he's coming from.
__________________
Clinging to sanity, one motorcycle at a time.
RidingDonkeys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 10:05 AM   #2324
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams
 
Adv Grifter's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Passing ADV Stalkers in California
Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by RidingDonkeys View Post
As someone who was dead set on a DR650 before I rode the TR650, I can see where he is coming from. It took me about 20 minutes of a test ride to know that the TR650 was the CLEAR winner in the price range.

With a $6k base price, I would have easily have spent over $500 just getting started modding the DR with a Mikuni TM40 carb, then another $300+ on an exhaust. So my first two mods would have put me over the cost of a TR650, and still not gotten me the same kind of throttle response the TR has. Then, I still have to address a couple other areas, starting with the wretched seat.

The DR650 is a great machine, and it has its merits, namely weight and dependability. However, the extra few hundred spent on a TR650 starts you out with a much better bike that won't need any mods. So I see where he's coming from.
Interesting comments! But ...
"won't need any mods" ?? Really? Come back in a year to see just how many mods owners end up doing. If the aftermarket kicks in on the Terra it could be Shoppers paradise. and will make a good bike GREAT!.

Clear Winner? In HP, yes. How about back to back comparo off road ... or peg dragging the canyons or a 400 mile day fully loaded?

I bought a barely used DR650 (700 miles) that already had a lot of good items: IMS tank, Corbin, ProTaper bars, FMF. I paid $4000. I added Race Tech emulators on the forks and a used Ohlins shock.

No need for the TM40. My re-jetted BST40 works very well. 48 to 50 mpg. Very respectable off road and on. You just have to ride a well set up DR650. Not too bad.

YES, the DR will cost you some dough to make right ... but the bike responds very well to upgrades. The 40 lbs. weight advantage over the Terra mitigates some of the HP advantage.

One of the very best things about a bike like the DR is its crash survival. I'd hate to see a Terra after its done an Endo at speed into a rocky ditch. My DR has crashed ... often ... little damage other than a few scrapes. Big ups for simplicity and toughness.
It's also a MULE and can easily carry 100 lb. load in rough terrain. I await
reports on the Terra in this regard. 50,000 miles and counting.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 11:10 AM   #2325
Chuckracer
Jerkus Maximus
 
Chuckracer's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Lowville, NY
Oddometer: 7,409
What's to become of the Terra in the future? Is this model going to be a round for a few years now that everything has changed for Husqvarna?

(my apologies if this has been covered ad-nauseum elsewhere)
__________________
2005.5 KTM 950 Adventure
2001 Scorpa SY250


http://3dtrials.org/

Chuckracer screwed with this post 04-20-2013 at 11:17 AM
Chuckracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:20 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014