Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2013, 10:36 AM   #2401
rride
Honda NH 750

Oddometer: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemermcr View Post
Berq has his web page live for the pannier racks!! I am very impressed with the figment and strength: mounted a set of Seahorse 720s using BRMoto's quick release kit. Sure has made the commute a lot easier!!

http://brmoto.com/br-moto-side-racks...ra-strada.html
No doubt they are robust constructed bags from all of the peripheral racks, but from the front bike view, they flare out like a dragster parachute in wind resistance. Above 55 mph, expect Elvis Presley Swivel hips on the expressway (it passes the time well oscillating your hips in your lane singing Elvis songs).
rride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 09:20 PM   #2402
AltRoute
AltRoute

Oddometer: 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemermcr View Post
Berq has his web page live for the pannier racks!! I am very impressed with the figment and strength: mounted a set of Seahorse 720s using BRMoto's quick release kit. Sure has made the commute a lot easier!!

http://brmoto.com/br-moto-side-racks...ra-strada.html

Will this stop my back plate bouncing around

AltRoute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 10:23 PM   #2403
Beemermcr
Big, Dumb, Happy!

Oddometer: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by rride View Post
No doubt they are robust constructed bags from all of the peripheral racks, but from the front bike view, they flare out like a dragster parachute in wind resistance. Above 55 mph, expect Elvis Presley Swivel hips on the expressway (it passes the time well oscillating your hips in your lane singing Elvis songs).
Running up to 80mph in reasonably strong winds - no change in the handling. I do expect a 2-3 mpg decline with the hard bags mounted.
2000 DRZ "Burro"
Beemermcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 10:25 PM   #2404
Beemermcr
Big, Dumb, Happy!

Oddometer: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by AltRoute View Post

Berg designed tHe cross brace to support the plate holder. You could add more direct support via zip ties, etc.
2000 DRZ "Burro"
Beemermcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 10:35 PM   #2405
farp
DualsportBC Rider

Oddometer: 60
Quote:

It would be a lot better if you secured the fender to the crossbrace with a U bolt. Most of the oscillation is in the vertical plane but the way it's set up in the photo the brace only limits horizontal oscillation.
farp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 10:55 PM   #2406
RuggedExposure
wandering the desert

Oddometer: 1,200
Quote:

Just cut the rear dong off! http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....&postcount=367

Border Road 100 Border Road Rally Raid
'13 Husky Terra 650, '08 Kawasaki Meanstreak 1600, '95 DR350S
RuggedExposure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 04:42 AM   #2407
Makis54
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
advice for tall guys

Ok, first of all I have been lusting for a Terra for a while. I kept telling myself to be sensible and put it off a while longer. Well, after reading this thread and the ones on cafe husky, I went down to my somewhat local dealer for a test ride. They didn't have a Terra to ride, but they did have a Strada. They were very generous and let my take it out for a while. I have to say, I was really impressed! I was hoping I would not like it at all, but the more I rode it, the bigger the grin I had. My only real concern for me is the ergonomics. I'm 6'2" and I have long legs. I felt the seat/peg relationship was a little tight for long distance and the bars were a little low when standing. I was curious to hear from taller owners what they had done to open up the riding position. Has anyone raised the bars and if so, do the stock cables and lines allow for a couple of inches? I was looking a touratech's adjustable pegs for the 800gs to possibly lower the pegs. Have any of you guys lowered the pegs? Thanks in advance. My dealer is supposed to call me as soon as a new batch of Terra's arrive!
Makis54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 07:28 AM   #2408
HighFive
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,604
Affirmative on both. I raised the bars with a Motosportz bar riser/clamp (über nice piece of machining...btw). And used the TT Adjustable Footpegs (robbed from my F800GS) to both lower and move pegs forward. Puts the foot in perfect position for the rear brake pedal (which is too low & far from peg, in stock setup). They work terrific on the Terra!

I also installed Pro Taper Evo bars in their highest model (Woods High). I'm 5-9, and it's a better fit for even me. Plenty of room left with the cable lengths. That's been no problem.

You could also modify the seat to remove the low dish (which is very comfortable) and gain the rest of the peg to seat clearance you desire.

Fun...fun...bike. Isn't it interesting, that everyone who has test ridden the TR650 has liked it very much. No one has ever expressed a feeling contrary to those reported. I was uncertain whether I wanted to like it....going into my test ride. Only took about 5 miles to "sell me". Just love riding this thing!

HF
Athena Big Bore Project WRRDualsport.com
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 07:30 AM   #2409
RuggedExposure
wandering the desert

Oddometer: 1,200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makis54 View Post
Ok, first of all I have been lusting for a Terra for a while. I kept telling myself to be sensible and put it off a while longer. Well, after reading this thread and the ones on cafe husky, I went down to my somewhat local dealer for a test ride. They didn't have a Terra to ride, but they did have a Strada. They were very generous and let my take it out for a while. I have to say, I was really impressed! I was hoping I would not like it at all, but the more I rode it, the bigger the grin I had. My only real concern for me is the ergonomics. I'm 6'2" and I have long legs. I felt the seat/peg relationship was a little tight for long distance and the bars were a little low when standing. I was curious to hear from taller owners what they had done to open up the riding position. Has anyone raised the bars and if so, do the stock cables and lines allow for a couple of inches? I was looking a touratech's adjustable pegs for the 800gs to possibly lower the pegs. Have any of you guys lowered the pegs? Thanks in advance. My dealer is supposed to call me as soon as a new batch of Terra's arrive!
I'm 6'2" and haven't had any issues with the ergonomics of the bike. I'm at 4k miles, and even after a week's worth of trail riding I didn't get too sore. I haven't lowered the pegs any because I already bang them up enough on rocky sections of the trail.

The seat is plenty comfortable for my standards, and is roomy enough to let you crowd the tank or scoot back and stretch your legs a little bit.

I can understand maybe raising the bars, but I tilted mine forward and they've worked great. The main reason I don't install risers is because I'm using Cycra Probends and it looks like it would mess up their geometry since I have them mounted to the bar ends and the forks.

Border Road 100 Border Road Rally Raid
'13 Husky Terra 650, '08 Kawasaki Meanstreak 1600, '95 DR350S
RuggedExposure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:25 AM   #2410
Blaise W
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 625
Regarding the Wolfman rack support for the rear fender, I have zip tied the fender to the loop and it absolutely works great! Just one tie on each side. There are several rough rides and hundreds of miles on this setup and I think it's all you need. I do not want to cut off the rear fender as I like the mud protection, however I did add the rubber license mount from Bills. The rear loop bears right on this rubber piece and when fender and loop are zip tied, the connection is slightly cushioned but well supported.
Blaise W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 09:23 AM   #2411
trapperj
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 437
Hi Makis 54,
I am 6'1" and feel/felt a little Bit scrunched up on the Strada after several hours in one sitting. You probably know this already but you can gain a bit of room by simply removing the rubber inserts in the footpegs. Made a noticeable difference to me.

I also added bar risers that allow you to fiddle with the tilting fore/aft. I didn't have to lengthen any cables but did have to tweak the way throttle cables route..(Turned them upside down) I am approaching 3k miles since January ...would have more but have to ride several to keep the heard happy. Can't have any jealousy...keep me all charged & ready!
trapperj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 09:31 AM   #2412
AltRoute
AltRoute

Oddometer: 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by RuggedExposure View Post
I think I'll have to wait till the new bike smell is gone before I lob off its tail
AltRoute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 09:38 AM   #2413
wolftrax
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 331
Hey Makis 54, I'm also 6'1" and have found that simply removing the rubbers from the foot pegs helps a lot. Got a 1.5" Rox riser laying that should help on the handlebar height. Haven't got around to fitting them yet, would rather ride it than wrench it as is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mark
wolftrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 01:03 PM   #2414
Makis54
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
Thanks for all of the feedback. It's great to hear there are some good options out there for me. I just listed my R1200GS on Craigslist. Hopefully there will be a Terra in the garage soon!
Makis54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 01:11 PM   #2415
wolftrax
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makis54 View Post
Thanks for all of the feedback. It's great to hear there are some good options out there for me. I just listed my R1200GS on Craigslist. Hopefully there will be a Terra in the garage soon!
I sold my Super Tenere to move down to the Terra. Couldn't be happier! Good luck on the sale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mark
wolftrax is offline   Reply With Quote