Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-2013, 08:28 AM   #2506
hudler
n00b

Oddometer: 3
There is a hole for the oil drain plug on that plate. Go to the site and check out the pictures carefully and you will see it. I was fooled by the angle of that picture also. Nice plate!! You can clearly see the oil drain hole in the picture of the optional centerstand SW Motech offers.

hudler screwed with this post 05-06-2013 at 08:37 AM
hudler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:54 AM   #2507
twistedthrottle
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 706
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadscum View Post
Nice! Will that skid plate fit the Strada and not interfere with the center stand?

Regards, Paul
Hi Paul.

I would love to confirm for you that it does but there are a few variables here. SW-MOTECH designs their skidplates and centerstands to work together. They also design their skidplates to work with bikes that ship with centerstands. For every other brand of centerstand it is a crap shoot. It may work and it may not. In a lot of cases most stands share the same mounting points and retract to the same basic position.

Here is a shot of the SW-MOTECH centerstand and skidplate installed together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaine.hale View Post
Sure is a good looking skid plate. Is there a reason you guys went with the decision to not make a hold for the oil drain?
Hi Blaine.

There actually is a hole for the drain plug.

Kev
Old 05-06-2013, 12:57 PM   #2508
Roadscum
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,752
Thanks Twisted.. It was the OEM stand I was concerned about.

Regards, Paul
Old 05-06-2013, 02:50 PM   #2509
blaine.hale
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,892
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedthrottle View Post

Hi Blaine.

There actually is a hole for the drain plug.

Kev
Ah, I see! That makes it all the more lovely! Really, really good job with that skid plate. It fits the bike's style well.
1969 Bultaco Bandido MK2
2013 Husqvarna Terra TR650
blaine.hale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 03:58 PM   #2510
Revolutions
Revs

Oddometer: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Anybody read latest Motorcyclist mag? Editor Cook does an editorial whinging about how much money he wasted on his DR650 ... only to discover how much better the new Terra is. Later in the issue they compare the KLR, Terra and KTM 690E. The KLR sort of won the shoot out based on editors comments but the Terra really got the most positive comments and was clearly the most fun. Everyone hated the KTM.

My question is ... will the Terra be as tough and reliable as the DR650? I think Cook suffers from HP Penis envy and is seduced by the 13 extra HP the Terra has over the DR650. The DR was never compared or mentioned in the test.

Kudos to Husky ... how stupid would they be to discontinue this GREAT bike?
I hope someone at KTM is paying attention out there!
A bog standard DR650 will EAT a Terra in 80kph 4th gear roll on's! The extra HP the Terra makes comes at the expense of torque, the DR's have massive mid range torque, not much top end though and this is where the Terra shines, but for rapid progress in the 'twisties' on gravel, torque is king.
Revolutions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 04:18 PM   #2511
Revolutions
Revs

Quote:
Originally Posted by farp View Post
I had my terra up to 163 kph (101 mph) and there was no sign of a weave, or any uncertainty in terms of steering, wheel balance, or anything else. If there was I'd never have gone that fast. I'm still using the OEM Saharas on it so the situation might change when I switch to a more aggressive tread. I frequently run it up to 130 to 140 kph (80 to 85 mph) and have never experienced anything of concern.

John
We took the Terra back to the dealer in an attempt to get the problem looked at, the mechanic jumped on and went for a quick ride down a side road, he came back white knuckled and wide eyed "s..t that's dangerous" was the comment. The dealer has been fantastic, we swapped front wheels with the dealers demo bike as our bike had a Karroo front tyre fitted, this swapping/changing of front tyres immediately raised the speed by 10kph at which the weave started. Husqvarna is aware of the problem, they experienced a front end weave when they fitted Pirrelli tyres to the Terra's for the model launch here is Aus, BIG mistake! The Terra is a highly strung (handling wise) bike, at 100kph the steering is at best nervous, if you give the handlebars a wobble the bike feels unstable and doesn't feel safe, it gives you the feeling that if you hit a decent bump at speed while riding one handed that it might spit you off, something the DR650's or Transalps or Tenere's would never do. Perhaps it's the head angle? The Jap bikes might have less vertical forks to give the bike some stability whereas the Terra is designed to have fast steering and has more vertical forks?
Old 05-06-2013, 04:25 PM   #2512
amk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revolutions View Post
A bog standard DR650 will EAT a Terra in 80kph 4th gear roll on's! The extra HP the Terra makes comes at the expense of torque, the DR's have massive mid range torque, not much top end though and this is where the Terra shines, but for rapid progress in the 'twisties' on gravel, torque is king.
Every bike has its virtues and week points, however I cannot understand why there is a need to compare incomparable. Why anybody would like to compare DR to Terra? The former comes from the dinosaur era, the only things people leave without to much modifications is frame, everything else is thrown away by most and updated with some ugly but modern aftermarket parts.
The only thing I would have thrown away on terra is its tank, and to much regret to my aesthetic I would put something ugly (it is usually ugly is it not?) from safari, or worse from ims. But I would spare myself of endless and useless fiddling with carb jetting, fuel pipes routing, gearing, cylinder volume enlargements, throwing the whole suspension away, well, u name it. You cannot buy a DR as a kit of motor and frame, you are forced to to buy the whole useless bike, and then rebuild like 50% of it, to get it ugly but ride-able. Terra, well, u like it or not, but it is rides, straight out of the case.
amk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 04:40 PM   #2513
SocalRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,624
Quote:
I honestly thought the June Motorcyclist issue showed the Terra torque higher and at lower RPM's than the KLR & the KTM. I did not know the DR would EAT a KTM. Talk about value.

What are the torque values for this stonking DR? Would it make any difference if the KTM (or the Terra) dropped a tooth on the front sproket? How about if they were actually shifted instead of just doing theoretical roll ons?

'07 White (the coolest color) GSA rider
'13 Husky Strada & '14 KTM 690 Enduro
SocalRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 05:07 PM   #2514
DirtJack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,086
Quote:
Originally Posted by SocalRob View Post
I honestly thought the June Motorcyclist issue showed the Terra torque higher and at lower RPM's than the KLR & the KTM. I did not know the DR would EAT a KTM. Talk about value.

What are the torque values for this stonking DR? Would it make any difference if the KTM (or the Terra) dropped a tooth on the front sproket? How about if they were actually shifted instead of just doing theoretical roll ons?
They ran the 690 on the dyno using the "soft" map which reduces power to 70% of max. Divide their numbers by .7 to see the actual values a 690 produces.
2008 KTM 690 Enduro
DirtJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 05:26 PM   #2515
Revolutions
Revs

Quote:
Originally Posted by amk View Post
Every bike has its virtues and week points, however I cannot understand why there is a need to compare incomparable. Why anybody would like to compare DR to Terra? The former comes from the dinosaur era, the only things people leave without to much modifications is frame, everything else is thrown away by most and updated with some ugly but modern aftermarket parts.
The only thing I would have thrown away on terra is its tank, and to much regret to my aesthetic I would put something ugly (it is usually ugly is it not?) from safari, or worse from ims. But I would spare myself of endless and useless fiddling with carb jetting, fuel pipes routing, gearing, cylinder volume enlargements, throwing the whole suspension away, well, u name it. You cannot buy a DR as a kit of motor and frame, you are forced to to buy the whole useless bike, and then rebuild like 50% of it, to get it ugly but ride-able. Terra, well, u like it or not, but it is rides, straight out of the case.
Having owned a Suzuki DR650 and done all the modifications, I feel I have some knowledge of the marque. The DR 650's are 'bare bone' motor cycles, no frills, but comparatively lightweight compared to the Terra. The DR has a sophisticated oil cooling system (you have to see one apart to realise how complex the internal oil galleries are), the Terra has vulnerable water cooling radiators, apart from manufacture the suspensions are similar, rising rate link suspension on rear for both bikes, however Suzuki has an alloy swing arm the Terra a cheaper steel swing arm, frames are similar in design, front forks differ only in that the Terra has a cheap version of an UDF. The DR's have a foam (washable) air filter, the Terra an inferior paper air filter, the Terra requires premium fuel, the DR doesn't, the DR's will accelerate in any gear, the Terra's require a shuffle down through the gear box to get any meaningful acceleration, the plastics on the Terra are cheap and nasty as are a lot of the steel brackets, foot brake levers etc, online forums carry complaints about the Terra's gearbox, the Terra's engine is sourced from China, and my experience is that the Terra is unstable at speed bla bla bla.
The Suzuki DR's are FAR from perfect however, the dreaded 3rd gear problem, my DR had a major gearbox failure. The cylinder barrel frets on the crankcase, the countershaft oil seal (behind the countershaft sprocket) sometimes "blows" out of the gearbox (directly attributable to using too heavy an oil), the chain snatches at a constant speed, choke cables seize up, and yes, they are a living Dinosaur, but they are a cheap, simple, easy to maintain, (mostly) reliable, fun motorcycle. Many DR's have been ridden around the world.
Yes the Terra has squillions more horse power, so what, you have to revs the tits off the thing to get it to go, you can't just "bag" it in the middle of a gravel corner in a high gear, it just go's woooooorrrrrrr and doesn't do anything, do the same on a DR and it will spin up the back wheel.
Unfortunately there isn't a perfect motorcycle,
Old 05-06-2013, 05:41 PM   #2516
farp
DualsportBC Rider

Oddometer: 62
Quote:
We took the Terra back to the dealer in an attempt to get the problem looked at, the mechanic jumped on and went for a quick ride down a side road, he came back white knuckled and wide eyed "s..t that's dangerous" was the comment. The dealer has been fantastic, we swapped front wheels with the dealers demo bike as our bike had a Karroo front tyre fitted, this swapping/changing of front tyres immediately raised the speed by 10kph at which the weave started. Husqvarna is aware of the problem, they experienced a front end weave when they fitted Pirrelli tyres to the Terra's for the model launch here is Aus, BIG mistake! The Terra is a highly strung (handling wise) bike, at 100kph the steering is at best nervous, if you give the handlebars a wobble the bike feels unstable and doesn't feel safe, it gives you the feeling that if you hit a decent bump at speed while riding one handed that it might spit you off, something the DR650's or Transalps or Tenere's would never do. Perhaps it's the head angle? The Jap bikes might have less vertical forks to give the bike some stability whereas the Terra is designed to have fast steering and has more vertical forks?
Update -

I just put on a set of Heidenau K60s, front and rear, and now I know what you are talking about with the wobble/weave. The bike is fairly stable up to about 65 mph but by 70 mph there is a definite weaving feeling to it, much like what you experience when going over rain grooves. If you continue to accelerate past 70 mph it slowly gets worse. I took it up to 80 but it was too unstable to go beyond that. The bike was stable with the Saharas on it but the weave showed up immediately after I put on the K60s. Definitely the tire. Anybody else change their tires and experience this? Has anybody changed the tires and not experienced it?

John
farp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 06:04 PM   #2517
fpgirard
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Thank you Surfinpig

Surfin - thanks. I recently heard about the rebate so this makes sense... I'm wondering what the inventory is at those dealers who signed up for this dealer rebate. I'm sure it involved an inventory commitment....
fpgirard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 06:18 PM   #2518
SocalRob
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtJack View Post
They ran the 690 on the dyno using the "soft" map which reduces power to 70% of max. Divide their numbers by .7 to see the actual values a 690 produces.
Interesting. I found the following HP/Torque figures for the KTM (2012):

62 HP / 47.2 ft.lbs. torque, at 6,000 rpm

For the Terra/Strada (2013):

58 HP / 44 ft.lbs. torque at 5,750 rpm

For the Suzuki DR 650 (2008):

37 HP / 34 ft.lbs. torque (rpm not stated).

I am not altogether sure if all the above numbers are at the crank. I know the Husky numbers are crank numbers, and I suspect the KTM numbers are as well. Maybe the DR's are rear wheel?

Old 05-06-2013, 06:32 PM   #2519
SocalRob
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by farp View Post
Update -

I just put on a set of Heidenau K60s, front and rear, and now I know what you are talking about with the wobble/weave. The bike is fairly stable up to about 65 mph but by 70 mph there is a definite weaving feeling to it, much like what you experience when going over rain grooves. If you continue to accelerate past 70 mph it slowly gets worse. I took it up to 80 but it was too unstable to go beyond that. The bike was stable with the Saharas on it but the weave showed up immediately after I put on the K60s. Definitely the tire. Anybody else change their tires and experience this? Has anybody changed the tires and not experienced it?

John
I have found with my GSA that if the front TKC is underinflated it makes a huge difference on stability at higher (above about 80) speeds. Did you play around with air pressure at all? Is it maxed out?

Old 05-06-2013, 07:51 PM   #2520
Revolutions
Revs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SocalRob View Post

When the Terra was first released we took the opportunity to take a new Terra for a test ride. Along on the ride was a stock DR the new Terra and me on a 650 Transalp. The Terra looked the 'ducks guts" all bling with stand out red components and plastic.
We swapped back and forth to compare bikes but as we hadn't any idea as to what the Terra performed like, we performed the standard (for us) 4th gear from 80kph roll on's, the results amazed us, the Terra just went backwards! BUT, as the speed and revs increased, the Terra got into it's (high) power band, made up the difference, then easily pulled away, the DR had run out of revs and had to be upshifted where the Terra continued to rev out.
We performed another roll on test (one of many that day), this time though the Terra was a gear lower than the DR, no comparison, the Terra just leapt away.
It would have good to compare the Terra with a modified DR, but my heavily modified DR had broken it's gearbox and was long gone, so that option wasn't available, my Transalp though would keep up comfortably with the Terra.
I think with lower gearing the Terra would be a 'weapon'.