Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2013, 11:02 PM   #2551
Surfinpig
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by RidingDonkeys View Post
Pay attention to the actual wording of the ad and not the internet rumors. Husky is advertising "up to $2500 off and 3.9% financing for 60 mos on select models at participating dealers". Nowhere in there do they say $2500 off any specific model. The TR is their best selling model right now, they don't have to discount it that deeply to move it.

If you are seeing one for $5799, you better snap it up while you can.

Sent from the voices in my head and transcribed by their drinking buddy...
True, and thank them for the rape shower you have to take after they screw you, also I think the bike is worth a cool 8g after riding her, it has what the gs650 lacks. And once I find a cool tenere type shield that fits her klrrrr killer
Surfinpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 01:42 AM   #2552
Precis
Maladroit malcontent

Oddometer: 3,577
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfinpig View Post
True, and thank them for the rape shower you have to take after they screw you, also I think the bike is worth a cool 8g after riding her, it has what the gs650 lacks. And once I find a cool tenere type shield that fits her klrrrr killer
We're tossing up between these two exact bikes: what is it that the GS650 lacks over the Terra?
So far I can see luggage, ABS and heated grips - all on the BMW and not on the Terra?
What else is the GS lacking?
Old 05-08-2013, 02:19 AM   #2553
SocalRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by Precis View Post
We're tossing up between these two exact bikes: what is it that the GS650 lacks over the Terra?
So far I can see luggage, ABS and heated grips - all on the BMW and not on the Terra?
What else is the GS lacking?
Performance and front suspension. Strada has ABS, and luggage and heated grips are widely available.

'07 White (the coolest color) GSA rider
'13 Husky Strada & '14 KTM 690 Enduro
SocalRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 02:39 AM   #2554
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 7,687
Quote:
Originally Posted by SocalRob View Post
Performance and front suspension. Strada has ABS, and luggage and heated grips are widely available.
Precisely, don't let the suspension travel numbers on the Sertao fool you into thinking that it is better off road. It may have more travel, but it is not an impressive setup by any means.

Also, a ABS Terra can be had in Europe, not sure about Australia though. Or you can do what I did, buy a Strada and order a set of Terra wheels for it. They are amazingly inexpensive. Apparantly it costs $600 more to print BMW on a wheel.
Old 05-08-2013, 04:38 AM   #2555
NextAdventre
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
RE, this is for you. Pics, as per your request.

TWO TR650s on the blue ridge with a KLR hanging around.

And my magnetic oil drain plug after my 600 mile break-in oil change. Plenty of little black metal bits in there Filter looked well used too!

NextAdventre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 04:50 AM   #2556
RuggedExposure
wandering the desert

Oddometer: 1,223
Quote:
Originally Posted by NextAdventre View Post
RE, this is for you. Pics, as per your request.

TWO TR650s on the blue ridge with a KLR hanging around.

And my magnetic oil drain plug after my 600 mile break-in oil change. Plenty of little black metal bits in there Filter looked well used too!

very nice! finally some pics!

Border Road 100 Border Road Rally Raid
'13 Husky Terra 650, '08 Kawasaki Meanstreak 1600, '95 DR350S
RuggedExposure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 05:20 AM   #2557
Surfinpig
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 140
Quote:
Yup
Surfinpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 05:56 AM   #2558
Precis
Maladroit malcontent

Oddometer: 3,577
Quote:
We have street-bikes, but want smaller Dual-sports than what we already have.
Sertao isn't a comparo for the Strada - more the Terra: here, ABS (like heat and bags) is an extra-cost option on Terra, but OEM on the Sertao.
Admittedly, the Sertao feels primitive and cheap.
Same engine & same frame, according to my Husky dealer, so performance should be close; we ride the Terra on Saturday & decide then.
Old 05-08-2013, 06:03 AM   #2559
twistedthrottle
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfinpig View Post
Sorry, I jumped on the ricochet off road one, it's coming via snail and should arrive next week
No worries. Every man must have protection. You were just being responsible! (I crack me up)

We have plenty of other goodies for the TR650's. I encourage you to go look.

Kev
Old 05-08-2013, 06:12 AM   #2560
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,267
Not sure where you are getting the weights from.
I think the Terra lists at 400 pounds wet on the husky web page, and the DR is supposed to be around 365 pounds wet I think.

Any 650 is going to have enough power for me, but after getting a helicopter ride after riding the dr650, I would want a lighter bike I think.
Its all sand around here, often very rough trails with thick sand, so you have to figure on falling, somewhat often.
Fall the wrong way on a tall 400 pound bike and it can hurt.

Not that I want to go real fast, but going slow in thick sand is worse then going at a good clip.

The Terra is one of the few water cooled bikes I like, and for a Euro bike, the price seems good, but 400 pounds....
If you were riding it through thick sand, it would be worse then a dr650, no?

Most of my problem is I got old when I was not paying attention, and I find bones snap easy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revolutions View Post
I just did a quick look online to see what the different bikes we are discussing weigh. Suzuki DR650 324lb, Kawasaki 650 KLR 432lb, Husqvarna Terra 366lb, and finally KTM 690 313lb! Now if you are into dirt riding the KLR is going to be a handful but at the other end, the KTM has nearly 70hp and only weighs 313lb what a recipe for a missile!
Unfortunately power isn't everything, it's good for the 'grin' factor, but for touring around on back roads a big torquey engine with minimal weight is the go.
The Terra has potential, the back tyre is too big in section and as supplied, the gearing is too high. Fit a smaller rear tyre and add a couple of teeth to the back sprocket (or one off the front) and this would transform the bike, it's never going to be a serious KTM690 competitor, but good just the same.
The petrol tank is seriously complex in shape, Safari tanks here in Aus are considering tooling up to make a bigger tank but will probably wait to see what the demand is before committing. Anyway the Terra does get sensational fuel economy so a larger tank might not be needed for most riders.
Anytime I see a big dirt bike loaded up I take notice, Suzuki DR's are popular so are KLR 650's, Japanese motor cycle tourists travelling around Aus often ride 250's!! It's not uncommon to see well heeled riders on big fully optioned/loaded BMW's, but jeesh, how do you pick up a fully loaded 1200GS BMW after it's fallen on it's side!? It's a bit too soon for Terra's, but I imagine they will start appearing as riders convert them to long distance adventure bikes with racks etc.
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 06:59 AM   #2561
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Precis View Post
Same engine & same frame, according to my Husky dealer, so performance should be close;
No. Same engine cases, but very different internals and tuning. The Husky engine is a very-much hotrodded version of the Rotax.

Also, being in Australia, will you be comparing restricted bikes or unrestricted bikes?
Old 05-08-2013, 07:03 AM   #2562
wolftrax
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by RuggedExposure View Post
very nice! finally some pics!
I'll promise you some pix RE in a couple of weeks. Going to do the Sam Correro aprreciation ride in Ms and Tn on the 18th of May. We'll see if the TR can keep up with the 250's!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mark
wolftrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 07:15 AM   #2563
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Brett View Post

If you were riding it through thick sand, it would be worse then a dr650, no?
You can compare numbers on the internet all day, and eventually you'll realize you still don't know anything about the bike. I say that because I was following the same logic as you...until I rode all the bikes I was looking at. Suddenly the spec sheets seemed useless. I was DEAD SET on a DR650 until I rode the Husky.

I ride a lot of loose sand, and I mean deep loose sand. We host the Sand Blast rally nearby every year, and I commute through a training area that can be done by either 30 miles of pavement or 20 miles of sand. I often choose sand.

I've ridden both bikes in the same sand back to back. They both do great. However, I honestly think the TR is a little more forgiving when moving quickly in the sand, and that is largely due to a lower center of gravity. Starting the TR from a stop in the sand is a little more difficult than the DR. It requires a little more clutch. But once you're moving, the TR wins, hands down.

So for me, the difference in the DR650 and TR650's weight is negligible. Here is why. First, the TR650 feels lighter than the DR650. Why? Well, most likely because it has a lower center of gravity. The DR puts its fuel above the bike, whereas the TR puts its fuel IN the bike. I think this is where a lot of the difference comes from.

Now, factor in the fuel economy of the DR650, and the first thing most owners do is throw on a large aftermarket tank. After obtaining a 5gal fuel capacity, which makes the bike even more topheavy, they still are going roughly the same distance per tank as my unmodified TR with a 3.7gal tank.
Old 05-08-2013, 07:26 AM   #2564
jwdub
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 534
I think the weight comparison given by Revolution mixed dry weights and wet weights. Dry weights given by manufacturers are notoriously inaccurate.

From Motorcycle Consumer News the wet weights are:

Suzuki DR650 368# 3.4 gallons fuel

Kawasaki KLR640 428# 6.1 gallons

KTM 690 336 #

Husqvarna TR650 405 # 3.57 gallons

Given this information, the KLR only weighs 8# more than the TR650 if they were carrying the same amount of fuel.
jwdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 07:27 AM   #2565
Ogre_fl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,035
Don't forget the chassis.

I ride a lot in the sand and the best bikes have the better chassis (USD forks, stiff frames), not necessarily the lighter ones.
My 400 lbs 640 Adventure's were better than my 325 lb DRZ's.
Particularly at speed.

Its really only in the slow going slogging that the weight comes into play.
Ogre_fl is offline   Reply With Quote