Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2013, 02:51 PM   #2611
jigmoore
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Cool, and don't forget to post some pics of your corroded rims and spokes! (Daytona Beach? )

Nice pic above. Since you know more than all the magazine guys combined ... how about a ride review? Did you ride your bike from Minn to Fla ... and back?
Ride Report?
you seem to be the type of guy that leaves the plastic on the couch.

i don't know more than the magazine guys. but i know how to make a decision and just be content and happy with what I ride.

ride review: everytime i ride the terra...i'm happy.

i did not ride from minn to fla....and back. but i'm sure you'd think i was a better man if i did.
jigmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 02:57 PM   #2612
Scaredofthedirt
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 634
Quote:
Originally Posted by farp View Post
My rear rack broke off too. If some aftermarket company were to offer a metal one (hint hint) I'd buy it in a snap. I suspect there'd be a pretty good market for it too, because the OEM plastic racks are not strong enough to do the job.
B&B offroad have an aluminium plate that either bolts through the original rack mounts or comes with a kit to replace the original rack (like on my KTM 950).

They also have strong bash plates and assorted other guards for the Terra.
Scaredofthedirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 03:13 PM   #2613
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 7,420
In the photo on the website, it looks like the B&B plate is mounted over the factory rack. It is priced well, and would be awesome with some sort of direct mounting kit.

Old 05-09-2013, 03:13 PM   #2614
SocalRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,515
Quote:
Originally Posted by RidingDonkeys View Post
Yeah, but have they ever used that range? It isn't very far between Starbucks anymore....
Closest Starbucks to me is 500 ft from the end of my driveway. Takes longer to put gear on than to walk.

Hey now, that range comes in handy. I've been in the 300's between stops while out travelling. Somewhere in the high 100's I find a zone and don't want to stop.

What I can't believe is that folks in this thread are talking about the Terra/Strada being a problem to pick up if dumped. Now my GSA, picking that pig up is worthy of discussion. (Ahem, I actually carry a snow mobile high lift jack in my top case). From my perspective the Terra/Strada is a featherweight.

'07 White (the coolest color) GSA rider
'13 Husky Strada & '14 KTM 690 Enduro
SocalRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 03:14 PM   #2615
SocalRob
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidingDonkeys View Post
In the photo on the website, it looks like the B&B plate is mounted over the factory rack. It is priced well, and would be awesome with some sort of direct mounting kit.

Not super impressed.

Old 05-09-2013, 03:16 PM   #2616
SocalRob
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigmoore View Post
you seem to be the type of guy that leaves the plastic on the couch.

i don't know more than the magazine guys. but i know how to make a decision and just be content and happy with what I ride.

ride review: everytime i ride the terra...i'm happy.

i did not ride from minn to fla....and back. but i'm sure you'd think i was a better man if i did.
Looks like you are out and about having a great time. The beach would be hard to resist.

Old 05-09-2013, 06:54 PM   #2617
William42
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,397
Great pic

Old 05-09-2013, 07:02 PM   #2618
William42
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,397
Quote:
Originally Posted by RuggedExposure View Post
That is a nice looking bike!

That rear rack looks familiar...

In fact, I saw one on the road this morning:

Ah yes, that would be mine!:

Shit. That's where I have my Roto-pax bolted. Sure hope some one comes up with a stronger rear rack.
Old 05-09-2013, 07:21 PM   #2619
RuggedExposure
wandering the desert

Oddometer: 1,207
Quote:
Originally Posted by William42 View Post
Shit. That's where I have my Roto-pax bolted. Sure hope some one comes up with a stronger rear rack.
I'm pretty sure my commute is rougher than most, being its nearly a 100 mile roundtrip adventure. The road pictured above is an old railroad bed from the 1800's that has been turned into a county road in the past 50 years and is poorly maintained. It is just over 14 miles of rocks, ruts, washboards, silt beds and 6 steep cattleguards. I usually fly over it all @ 60-65 mph since that is the smoothest speed.

I hit this rock several months ago at night at about 65, popping my tube and bending my front rim:

My point being is that my Terra is going through a torture test and will probably show us all what will break first on these bikes.

My new shop should be up and running by mid-late June, and my first project anticipated (aside from completing the shop), will be a rear rack for this bike. If I can find the right materials and design something stout but light enough, I may build some extras for sale on here. I'll keep you guys posted.

Border Road 100 Border Road Rally Raid
'13 Husky Terra 650, '08 Kawasaki Meanstreak 1600, '95 DR350S
RuggedExposure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:23 PM   #2620
dirty_sanchez
Dirty_Sanchez

Oddometer: 2,692
Is that the 1.75 gal Rotopax?

-looks good and "crashy"

Sorry to see the broken rack though.

Dirty
Old 05-09-2013, 07:45 PM   #2621
RuggedExposure
wandering the desert

Oddometer: 1,207
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty_sanchez View Post
Is that the 1.75 gal Rotopax?

-looks good and "crashy"

Sorry to see the broken rack though.

Dirty
Unfortunately its only the 1.0

Border Road 100 Border Road Rally Raid
'13 Husky Terra 650, '08 Kawasaki Meanstreak 1600, '95 DR350S
RuggedExposure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:27 PM   #2622
farp
DualsportBC Rider

Oddometer: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scaredofthedirt View Post
B&B offroad have an aluminium plate that either bolts through the original rack mounts or comes with a kit to replace the original rack (like on my KTM 950).

They also have strong bash plates and assorted other guards for the Terra.
I'm not looking for a plate that bolts on top of the OEM rack. That won't do me any good when the OEM rack mounts are broken off at the bolt holes. There was a post about some German outfit showing the kind of rack I'm looking for and I'll check that one out. Thanks for your input though, appreciate the effort. I've got a Motosportz bash plate and I'm totally happy with it.
farp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:00 PM   #2623
rride
Honda NH 750

Oddometer: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by trapperj View Post
I had thought about using the rear footpeg/...I will never use the tHe Strada for hauling a passenger...so if it was easy to do something back there I'm all ears..the Strada gets great mileage even running hard...but the adv GSA buddies I ride with love to Bragg about how far they can go between stops...I'm sure they would enjoy running me dry. Trying to keep that from happening.

But you could ride another passenger if you wanted. You have over 400 lbs cargo capacity. That's a real nice feature of the bike!
rride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:33 PM   #2624
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,047
re: the broken rack - so much of that rack cantilevers back beyond the mounting points, that it's going to turn any weight back there into a pendulum and eventually crack the plastic swinging up and down.
I looked at the Rotopax 1 gallon as an option, decided the rack probably wouldn't hold up.
I carry four 1-liter Primus fuel bottles when I need range - two in the Wolfman carry pouches and two in the big back pockets of my Ogio Flight Vest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IgnacioB View Post
Thanks for the Woody's idea! I've submitted a request and hope it comes back with a bit less sticker shock. Being the first kid on the block with an ambidextrous Terra/Strada sounds pretty fun. :)
Woody's is 20 minutes away....it's nice having them local. They've built a few sets of offroad wheels for me, and it can be done for around $700-$750.

RAD has an "economy" hub, and while that sounds like it might be cheapo cheeseball stuff, all it is is their zoot hubs with fewer passes thru the milling machine to remove material and make them lighter.
I ran one set on an XR628 in some pretty rugged stuff for a few years before I had to tighten a spoke.

So you get an excellent quality hub that's a few ounces heavier than the expensive stuff...but just as tough and high quality.

A set I put on an XR650R I built a few years ago.

the XR628 with RAD setup out back

IBA #11735 . 1968-present

Blakebird screwed with this post 05-09-2013 at 09:40 PM
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 05:21 AM   #2625
IgnacioB
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakebird View Post
Woody's is 20 minutes away....it's nice having them local. They've built a few sets of offroad wheels for me, and it can be done for around $700-$750.

RAD has an "economy" hub, and while that sounds like it might be cheapo cheeseball stuff, all it is is their zoot hubs with fewer passes thru the milling machine to remove material and make them lighter.
I ran one set on an XR628 in some pretty rugged stuff for a few years before I had to tighten a spoke.

So you get an excellent quality hub that's a few ounces heavier than the expensive stuff...but just as tough and high quality.
That's good to hear. I've submitted an online inquiry, but no response. If they make their own hubs I can imagine them being able to help. I'll give them a call and try and the old-fashioned way today to find out....I'm going to choose either a Terra or Strada tomorrow and need to have this issue put to bed. $750 for a set of rims + rotors and ABS ring is totally doable...$1400 for that part OEM not so much.
My Motorcycle Blog
IgnacioB is offline   Reply With Quote