Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2013, 12:07 AM   #2656
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Oddometer: 5,896
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddler View Post
Next time glue or rivet a plastic backing plate to it. Worked well on my XChallenge, which had the same tail. What price are Terras selling for in Perth?
Is there much play in the rear guard, up near the rear of the seat?

If it is the identical rear guard as the X bike BMWs then it is presumably mounted in exactly the same way and this is what caused problems on the X bikes. Under the seat there are two bolt holes with welded nuts on part of the frame. The two small Allen head bolts notoriously come loose and just fall out. The guard is still secure except for the up and down bouncing motion that can now occur due to the play where the two bolts go through. Once two bolts are once again tightened with Locktite then I never had a problem again with my rear guard or number plate.

I don't have a Terra yet so can't check myself. I posted up photos ect in the XChallenge thread a couple of years ago.

xronly
Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 12:12 AM   #2657
BygDaddee
Where do I get a pie

Oddometer: 1,570
Yet ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz View Post
Is there much play in the rear guard, up near the rear of the seat?

I don't have a Terra yet so can't check myself. I posted up photos ect in the XChallenge thread a couple of years ago.
BygDaddee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 12:19 AM   #2658
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Oddometer: 5,896
You are bored Broken Wing!

xronly
Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 01:16 AM   #2659
Bama67
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 354
Dammit, why did I click this thread!

At first I really only had a passing interest in the Huskys.

Now, I REALLY want a $5500 Strada with ABS and 50/50 tires.....

My wife would freaking kill me.

Anyone want a cherry KLX250sf with 200 miles?
Old 05-12-2013, 02:02 AM   #2660
IgnacioB
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
Back from Salem and VERY impressed with the folks at Bill's. Bought a Strada for $6899 (I wrote it incorrectly at $7899 when I initially posted) out the door (get to deal with my state fees and terms Monday morning). Added a set of handguards and winshield at a decent price and they installed for free. They threw in an oil filter, oil for a change, and even a discount on extra filters and some Husky stickers.

Fresh tank of fuel and they helped load up in my pickup truck and made the trek back home. Won't go down the road until Monday when I pick up a state plate, but VERY impressed with the platform so far.

They let me demo the owners Terra and he has set for short people. I probably didn't get it warmed up all the way, but I could totally see the maximum mileage thing and EFI compared to my old XR650R.

Came back and they let me take out a Strada that was converted to single Forenza exhaust, welding shut of the split stainless, and an aftermarket option that changed the mixture richer to 13.?:1. This bike was 14 pounds lighter than stock, healthy exhaust note, and a nicer across-the-board snappiness. Me thinks we'll all be seeing exhaust options for this platform.

I love my TR650 all whopping 0.6 miles so far. :)
My Motorcycle Blog

IgnacioB screwed with this post 05-22-2013 at 03:37 PM Reason: Got price wrong. Should be $6899.
IgnacioB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 02:43 AM   #2661
davorallyfan
Commonist

Oddometer: 15,789
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuffa View Post
The rear fender can't be too bad. A pre-ride check yesterday found my number plate had been ripped off.

Must have happened on the dirt somewhere. No damage to the tail section though. I've no idea how or where it was ripped off and the bike hasn't been anywhere where someone could interfere with it. It's a lightweight ali plate but it must have taken a bit of force to rip it off.

I had to buy a new plate too.

But no vibes now. Getting the Moss tretment this week, new chain and sprockets then up to the Ruptured Budgie near Texas.

Lost the cap off my rear brake reservoir...
davorallyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 03:21 AM   #2662
Nev..
wannabe advrider

Oddometer: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuffa View Post
The rear fender can't be too bad. A pre-ride check yesterday found my number plate had been ripped off.

Dunno if that is indicative of a problem with the bike or with your plate. I've seen australian number plates fail with similar types of tear on a variety of different bikes. The VIC plate on my Vstrom had suffered a similar tear. In fact mine tore on one side, so I cable tied that corner of the plate to the bike so it would hang on when it finished tearing. That cabletie solution held for about 40,000km before it finally tore right through.
Old 05-12-2013, 08:03 AM   #2663
DirtJack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,374
Inmate Hodakaguy makes this neat plate holder which can be turned sideways so it doesn't catch on things when your bike goes down in the dirt. I have them on my two smaller bikes and they work well.

2008 KTM 690 Enduro
DirtJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 08:38 AM   #2664
krussell
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 533
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama67 View Post
Dammit, why did I click this thread!

At first I really only had a passing interest in the Huskys.

Now, I REALLY want a $5500 Strada with ABS and 50/50 tires.....

My wife would freaking kill me.

Anyone want a cherry KLX250sf with 200 miles?

Heidanau K60 Scouts and the high fender from a Terra.

I can help with the want, I can't help KLX or your the attempt on your life.
Old 05-12-2013, 12:28 PM   #2665
IgnacioB
Adventurer

A picture of a new Strada on the road...and in fields near roads.....and soon to be truly off-road after I get a 2nd set of spoked Terra rims.

My Motorcycle Blog
Old 05-12-2013, 01:17 PM   #2666
njoytheride
NJOYN' THE JOURNEY

Oddometer: 897
Rode about 100 miles of dirt roads and four wheeler trails in the Ozarks yesterday. Man this bike is fun to ride.
njoytheride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 01:23 PM   #2667
rride
Honda NH 750

Oddometer: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by IgnacioB View Post
A picture of a new Strada on the road...and in fields near roads.....and soon to be truly off-road after I get a 2nd set of spoked Terra rims.

Nice! Looks great with your accessories.

Why not try off roading on the mags? BMW does it on at least 2 of their GS models.

Cafe Husky just had an article of a guy with a front wheel flat that the bead broke the rim: face first landing, broke toes, and $3400 damage - ouch. Just something to consider.

http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/ter...8/#post-307492
rride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 01:30 PM   #2668
IgnacioB
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rride View Post
Why not try off roading on the mags? BMW does it on at least 2 of their GS models.

Cafe Husky just had an article of a guy with a front wheel flat that the bead broke the rim: face first landing, broke toes, and $3400 damage - ouch. Just something to consider.
Exactly the outcome I don't want.

I popped a front tire loose and bent the rim on my previous bike (a V-Strom). Fortunately, no splatty and tire aired back up to make it home. I'll wait until I get my spoked rims (with a heavy duty tube) before doing any serious off-roading. ;)
My Motorcycle Blog
Old 05-12-2013, 03:15 PM   #2669
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by IgnacioB View Post
Exactly the outcome I don't want.
I popped a front tire loose and bent the rim on my previous bike (a V-Strom). Fortunately, no splatty and tire aired back up to make it home. I'll wait until I get my spoked rims (with a heavy duty tube) before doing any serious off-roading. ;)
I dented my cast V-Strom rims TWICE in Baja, hitting embedded rocks at high speed. Did not flatten tire either time, (DL1000) but pretty good dent in rim. (repairable)

Running spoke wheels/tubes on highway at speed I'd recommend using
SLIME or Ride-On sealant in your tubes. Add before you get a flat. As we know, tubes can instantly deflate. Not good at 70 mph mid corner.

I don't put Slime or Ride-On in my tubes to prevent a flat so much ... it won't always do that. But in most cases it can SLOW DOWN air loss. This gives the rider time to adjust, slow down and get off the road safely. I use SLIME front and back, but the Front is the important one if riding FAST on highway.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 05:40 PM   #2670
rride
Honda NH 750

Oddometer: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by krussell View Post

Heidanau K60 Scouts and the high fender from a Terra.

I can help with the want, I can't help KLX or your the attempt on your life.
Great Pic! I guess that is why Western riders like the Dual sport bikes so much: all the mountain roads are gravel fire roads and the rest are few and far in between (or in bad repair like SO CA).

I have been spoiled on SE Appalachian Mountain roads: NE GA, W NC, NE SC, and (last but definitely not least, ) E. TN. They are race roads that the scenery changes every time you go down them (not quite as high altitude as Western mountains, but more fun on a motorcycle imo.) There are just too many close calls on gravel or the pace is way too slow either one for my skill level. But the Western mountain altitude tuning may take an edge of the speed factor even if the roads were paved nicely with banked corners (??)

I sure like the pics though, but my heart will always be home in the Appalachians. Where ever you were raised is where memories are the fondest.
rride is offline   Reply With Quote