Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2013, 02:52 PM   #2671
Bama67
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by krussell View Post

Heidanau K60 Scouts and the high fender from a Terra.

I can help with the want, I can't help KLX or your the attempt on your life.

Well, you suck then.
That is a good looking Strada, that is pretty much what I would do with mine if I do tempt fate and decide to buy one.

Can anyone confirm what EXACTLY the rebate is on the Terra and Strada models? Is it only $1000?
Old 05-13-2013, 03:31 PM   #2672
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 8,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama67 View Post
Can anyone confirm what EXACTLY the rebate is on the Terra and Strada models? Is it only $1000?
It is whatever your dealer offers. Not all dealers are participating, and it applied to in stock inventory only. You are much more likely to get a rebate on a Strada than a Terra though.

Clinging to sanity, one motorcycle at a time.
RidingDonkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 06:12 PM   #2673
IgnacioB
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by RidingDonkeys View Post
It is whatever your dealer offers. Not all dealers are participating, and it applied to in stock inventory only. You are much more likely to get a rebate on a Strada than a Terra though.
I mostly concur. I think it had not to do with what they initially ordered for inventory, but what they then subsequently ordered additionally. Plus there weren't as many Terras available in the 2nd round.

In my case I couldn't find a Terra under MSRP in the Pacific Northwest, but did find a Strada $100 cheaper than the Terra.
My Motorcycle Blog
IgnacioB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 08:57 PM   #2674
rride
Honda NH 750

Oddometer: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama67 View Post
Well, you suck then.
That is a good looking Strada, that is pretty much what I would do with mine if I do tempt fate and decide to buy one.

Like Donkey said, its whatever the dealer will let you have. I've gotten two quotes so far for $1500 off the Strada in So CA - $6K plus costs/tax (the sale is $1500 to $2500, so that is the minimum of the sale range on the biggest bike). One of the two at Long Beach BMW out the door with high CA tax at $7150 (retail sale at $6K). Some smart shoppers have gotten $2500 off the Terra in IN I believe - $5.4K plus ?? (not sure if they even got taxed on top of that).

My 'hunch' is all dealers get $2500 plus the 50% normal commission on new bikes; and they are just playing their cards close to their chest. You got until June 30, 2013, so play your cards too (cash is still king Brother!!) For performance and reliability, its the bike of this century so far. Nothing comes close, but that does not mean I'm going to throw money away at it (I don't have any to throw away!). It is a naked jay bird by last century's standards so it will need more than the usual items you get with every bike (this optional centerstands on bikes lately is for the birds).

Good luck and share the information. Information is power and that is all we have against the secret sale!
And Pierer himself said he had warehouses of these bikes, so they will not need to build for a while since it is a timeless design. What WE DO HAVE on our side, is inventory carrying costs (all the incremental costs of storing any stock) is 30% of the average cost of inventory per year. What that means is they lose near 1/3 value every year on every bike stored. And if they have 10 years worth (???), they should want to stack them deep and sell them cheap (of course that is wishful thinking too). But it is a fact (not the 10 yrs inventory, but the 30% average carrying cost value per year), so I'm hoping to get a Strada for $2500 off: $5K plus tax/costs. It probably won't happen, but that's my plan if it will happen at all. Otherwise, I may wait until the next sale due to reality of financial liquidity and random monte carlo chances. I've got 2 bikes now with one running, so I'm not hurting and there is nothing in SO CA except a huge parking lot anyway. But if the opportunity should arise, I'll jump on it. It is a freakin dependable race bike!

rride screwed with this post 05-13-2013 at 09:18 PM
rride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 10:48 PM   #2675
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,685
"50% normal commission on new bikes" ??
What exactly do you mean by that?

Dealers buy their stock from the mfr'rs, and can keep it on the showroom floor for a fixed period of time before they start paying 'flooring'....which I believe used to be roughly 1% of the msrp of the bike per month, say after six months grace period. Surely that percentage varies as a function of the list price...that's probably old numbers, but the basics are the same (and I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm that far out of touch).

Example: Dealer puts a bike on the floor, it doesn't sell for say six months - he starts paying flooring.... so his incentive to lower the price and move product grows every month. If he's paying 1% on a $10,000 bike per month, it will become a burden before long. He's eating $100 of profit every month that bike doesn't sell.

Some dealers will stick to a higher price hoping to lose less money on a bike that won't sell - but in the case of a factory rebate, he has wiggle room. If the bike is a hot seller like the TR650 Terra, he'll be less willing to knock his prices down. The Strada will see some bigger discounts - but those folks hoping for $2500 off (IMO) are dreaming.

I could be all wet though.... my 2011 TE 630 originally listed for $8,999 and BMW/Husqvarna officially dropped the price to $6499. That's when I jumped and bought one.
Same could happen here, KTM could easily want to get rid of stock to make room for new models, regardless of how hot a seller the Terra is. But that demand seems to be taking care of the warehouse numbers of Terras pretty efficiently, and that didn't happen with the TE 630.
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 06:13 AM   #2676
trapperj
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 471
Discount $

I started reading this thread and over on C/H months ago before the first TRs were on our shores. I decided I wanted one, pretty much, before I ever had a test ride. In October, I had that test ride and decided I had to have a TR. I thought...(still think) it's a good value @ msrp.

I am so happy I purchased before the change over. I have 3.5K on my bike now and couldn't be more happy. I was able to get about $500 off on the slower selling Strada.....this was in January. I figure having the bike to enjoy the past several months is worth something. Sometimes you just got to know when to pull the trigger and I have no regrets. I have spent/wasted more money on beer and tacos than the $ I might have been able to save.....but I would not have had the TR to ride the pi$$ out of the past few months.
trapperj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 11:33 AM   #2677
Surfinpig
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 157
I just installed the Ricochet skid plate. It's a great product and easy install. Quick shipment as well.
Surfinpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 08:03 PM   #2678
AltRoute
AltRoute

Oddometer: 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfinpig View Post
I just installed the Ricochet skid plate. It's a great product and easy install. Quick shipment as well.
That’s a nice lump of metal – and at $110 its a nice price - is that the Gun Metal or Black Anodized ?

Can you do me a favor and get a shot of how it attaches to the back
AltRoute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 08:07 PM   #2679
jwdub
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 592
Well, I sold my 06 KTM950 and my XR650R. Since I still have some regular dual sports, I went to Bill's today and will pick up a new Strada later this week. The first thing I need is the Seat Concepts tall saddle, which should be ready for sale in a week or two. The Strada demo bike with the Forza exhaust was noticeably more responsive than the stock Terra, but to start, I think mine will remain stock. Bill's sure easy to deal with --- no B.S. just straight talk and the deal gets done.

Thanks to all who've posted on this thread.

John
jwdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 08:21 PM   #2680
xaman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 514
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwdub View Post
Well, I sold my 06 KTM950 and my XR650R. Since I still have some regular dual sports, I went to Bill's today and will pick up a new Strada later this week. The first thing I need is the Seat Concepts tall saddle, which should be ready for sale in a week or two. The Strada demo bike with the Forza exhaust was noticeably more responsive than the stock Terra, but to start, I think mine will remain stock. Bill's sure easy to deal with --- no B.S. just straight talk and the deal gets done.

Thanks to all who've posted on this thread.

John

Congrats.

You mention the tall seats, what's our height and inseam? You found the stock Strada ergos cramped?
xaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 09:27 PM   #2681
jwdub
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 592
Xaman,

Thanks. Yes, I found it cramped, but I expected that. 6'3" and 32" inseam + I'm 68 and not as flexible as I usta was! I talked to Robert at Seat Concepts today regarding the tall seat. He said that it would be almost flat front to back -- about like the seat he made for my KTM 950. So, I'm guessing it will add about 2" of height. I already have some 2" Rox risers, so it should work out, if the cables will reach or can be rerouted.
jwdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 10:41 PM   #2682
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,685
Quote:
Originally Posted by AltRoute View Post
Can you do me a favor and get a shot of how it attaches to the back
That's the gun metal anodized....same one I got.

If you look at the picture on the Ricochet website, you'll see two holes at the rear of the plate. Conduit clamps face rearward and go over the frame rail that goes across the bike behind the engine.
The front has a couple of lugs that mount to the frame, and the plate mounts to those lugs. Stout.

"borrowed" this from CH

IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 11:22 PM   #2683
rride
Honda NH 750

Oddometer: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakebird View Post
"50% normal commission on new bikes" ??
What exactly do you mean by that?
BMW dealers get 50% profit on new bikes and parts. Parts barely pays for the overhead as does repair. But you need both of them to a degree for window dressing anyway (most are poor at both parts and labor that I've seen). Selling $20k bikes is their main goal: period. No discounts except for NA dictated prices on new bikes with whatever discounts they contribute (always openly advertised to customers).

But remember, they pay for all overhead based on commissions alone. It's tough if that's all they sell like BMW wants and they are also a tough company to please and work with. You have to be a very large dealer to depend on the BMW motorcycles alone in your business. BMW shop owners are the thriftiest business men I've ever met: everyone of the successful ones anyway.

Even the Jap shops have somewhat similar arrangements in price setting, but BMW owners have told me about the 50% commission on parts and new bikes. Everything else is just an illusion. They are not trying to rip you off on parts or labor: they would rather you not waste their time, ha ha.
rride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 11:43 PM   #2684
AllOrds
-------------

Oddometer: 1,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by rride View Post
BMW dealers get 50% profit on new bikes and parts.
Really! So on a $30K bike the dealer makes $15K??

I can tell you that a dealer here gets $500 on a G650GS if sold at full tote odds
AllOrds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 04:14 AM   #2685
Deans BMW
Granpa Hoon

Oddometer: 3,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by rride View Post
BMW dealers get 50% profit on new bikes and parts. Parts barely pays for the overhead as does repair. But you need both of them to a degree for window dressing anyway (most are poor at both parts and labor that I've seen). Selling $20k bikes is their main goal: period. No discounts except for NA dictated prices on new bikes with whatever discounts they contribute (always openly advertised to customers).

But remember, they pay for all overhead based on commissions alone. It's tough if that's all they sell like BMW wants and they are also a tough company to please and work with. You have to be a very large dealer to depend on the BMW motorcycles alone in your business. BMW shop owners are the thriftiest business men I've ever met: everyone of the successful ones anyway.

Even the Jap shops have somewhat similar arrangements in price setting, but BMW owners have told me about the 50% commission on parts and new bikes. Everything else is just an illusion. They are not trying to rip you off on parts or labor: they would rather you not waste their time, ha ha.
Sorry to say, but you don't have the slightest clue of what you are talking about.

The markup on BMW Motorcycles run between 11 and 13%.
www.Motorcyclistcafe.com
Founder San Jose BMW
Deans BMW is online now   Reply With Quote