Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2012, 07:15 PM   #256
DirtyOldMan
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,890
I think the pegs unbolt, but you're stuck with the brackets unless you cut.
They looked to me to be a dandy tie down point for bags.

13 650 Terra

96 R1100R
DirtyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 08:00 PM   #257
Xcuvator
Justa Venturer

Oddometer: 1,355
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyOldMan View Post
I think the pegs unbolt, but you're stuck with the brackets unless you cut.
They looked to me to be a dandy tie down point for bags.
I looked one over today and took it for a short ride. You're right, the footpeg brackets have a threaded boss in them for mounting luggage brackets. There's not much weight there anyway and they would be far too useful to cut them off..

Very nice bike. Smoooth and torquey. The lack of a six speed may not really be much of an issue.

So much riding-so little time

Xcuvator screwed with this post 09-29-2012 at 08:07 PM
Xcuvator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 08:37 PM   #258
SamM
Jeep Overlander

Oddometer: 1,471
If it's threaded the rack manufacturers will probably use them as attachment points for pannier racks. Too bad! I love cutting stuff off!

SamM screwed with this post 09-29-2012 at 11:39 PM
SamM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 12:31 AM   #259
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer: 1,100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcuvator View Post
I looked one over today and took it for a short ride. You're right, the footpeg brackets have a threaded boss in them for mounting luggage brackets. There's not much weight there anyway and they would be far too useful to cut them off..

Very nice bike. Smoooth and torquey. The lack of a six speed may not really be much of an issue.

Wow so they are actually out in the dealers now? Which dealer let you take it for a test ride?

It seems like a lot of folks following this thread are looking for a lot of different things. An honest question here:

Would it be that difficult for BMW, Husky to unite around this engine and offer it in models they already have/had? Put it in this bike, the X challenge, X country, Sertao (sp?), the f650...
Label it the Rotax "r" and maybe even do some testing and give us an estimate of life expectancy of the 43 hp vs. 50 hp version.

The X challenge may not have been a success for them but they already put most of the money into it. It for example they offered a "X challenge 2" with this engine and a good rear shock for $8,000 wouldn't that be prolfitable as most all the R&D is done? At that point you'd have a bike with almost the hp of the KTM 690, an extra 15 lbs over the 690, BUT possibly 5X the reliability, a better gear spread for anything not competitive, more electrical power and much better dealer support for less money. (Ok I'd want the forks and wheels from the 690 as well; better yet, if you're gonna change them trump the 690 and produce a stellar bike!)

Sorry for the X challenge deviation; I honestly think THIS bike is a winner and would recommend it to tons of folks once some reliability info comes in.
rickypanecatyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 01:10 AM   #260
Gryphon12
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,281
Sounds like you want a TE-630 to me.

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world;
indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Gryphon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 01:55 AM   #261
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,352
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcuvator View Post
I looked one over today and took it for a short ride. You're right, the footpeg brackets have a threaded boss in them for mounting luggage brackets. There's not much weight there anyway and they would be far too useful to cut them off.
I think cutting off the peg brackets right at the subframe and somehow making them bolt on is a very good idea. They look to be a in a terrible position on the subframe down tube as any force will be directly applied to the middle of it where it is unsupported, and it doesn't take a lot of force to bend a straight tube in this way.

Same problems on the F650GS/F800GS twins, drop them on the side without luggage on and you have a good chance of your subframe being fucked, like the one on the left here:

LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 03:01 AM   #262
SamM
Jeep Overlander

I just don't ride with passengers, so mine will probably go away. That's a good point Lukas. They do stick way out there ready to grab something or bend the subframe in a drop.
Old 09-30-2012, 08:35 AM   #263
Phreaky Phil
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,726
I think the BMW engineers got to design this bike, not the Husky engineers and it doesn't deserve to wear the Husky badge. When I first saw it I was quite excited but the more you look closely at it the worse it gets. Just look at the rear brake pedal for instance, mounted low and hanging underneath the footpeg..The swingarm looks very thin and made of steel. Not enough suspension travel and I'm guessing budget non adjustable components like BMW GS's.

Maybe I was hoping for to much. A TE 630 with the BMW motor !
Phreaky Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 08:40 AM   #264
rickf
oldfatguyMAN

Oddometer: 1,695
Boo-hoo, BMW/Husqvarna didn't build a $10,000.00 bike and sell it for $7,000.00!

Originally Posted by rickf
Oh no, Robby's still a pendejo, but he's OUR pendejo!
rickf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 09:10 AM   #265
mrt10x
Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer: 3,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickf View Post
Boo-hoo, BMW/Husqvarna didn't build a $10,000.00 bike and sell it for $7,000.00!
Yeah but I would have paid 10k for a Husky TE with the BMW Rotax engine, 3 liters of oil, 200 mile range and 330lbs. This bike has got me strongly considering looking for a G650X and replacing the suspension.
Old 09-30-2012, 09:13 AM   #266
Wallachian Spikes
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 817
Checked Husqvarnas web site for dealer locations yesterday. Looks like there's not a dealer in the entire state of Tennesse or Kentucky. Closest dealership for me is Alabama or Georgia. A 5-7 hour round trip to the dealer will keep this bike out of my garage. Hopefully the 650 Terra will force Kawasaki or one of the big four to build a modern 650 dual sport bike soon. They better hurry too, My KLR will probably only last 10 more years.
Wallachian Spikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 09:20 AM   #267
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,081
And you just decribed why there is a plated MXC200 place holder in my garage instead of the TE310 I really want. I wish BMW dealers would start picking up the Husky line since there are a couple of those around me.

My KTM dealers aren't real convenient. But at least they are in my time zone. At least one of my friends would be all over this if Husky had a dealer network. But I suspect he will end up on a DR650 instead.
Old 09-30-2012, 09:52 AM   #268
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,681
what are the chances BMW dealers fixing the huskies?
mousitsas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 11:14 AM   #269
sTE610vE
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,922
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phreaky Phil View Post
I think the BMW engineers got to design this bike, not the Husky engineers and it doesn't deserve to wear the Husky badge. When I first saw it I was quite excited but the more you look closely at it the worse it gets. Just look at the rear brake pedal for instance, mounted low and hanging underneath the footpeg..The swingarm looks very thin and made of steel. Not enough suspension travel and I'm guessing budget non adjustable components like BMW GS's.

Maybe I was hoping for to much. A TE 630 with the BMW motor !
Yep, a cheap bmw made in china in Husky clothing, that's all this is, if it was marked bmw like it should be that would be ok but it's a Husqvarna in name only,
AND a 400+lb street bike at that. And by the way the TE610 sold for significantly less than the TE630, like I said it was because bmw decided to kill the 630 as soon as they could pay for the tooling other wise they could have amortized the tooling cost over several years and price would have been in line with the TE610, there weren't that many changes but enough tooling differences to have the jack up the price to try to pay for it in a limited run of bikes.

I still am amazed that people think the TE630 was/is KTM500exc competitor, it 's not, it was the best big bore true Dual Sport bike ever made imo. It is a 600cc version of what the WR250R is to small dualsports.
You couldn't find a better bike to ride the TAT than a 630 with for instance, certainly not this 5 speed porker, this bike is made for the pavement.

A bmw streetbike to compete with a klr sad days for Husqvarna indeed....
Cagiva Gran Canyon
sTE610vE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 03:47 PM   #270
SamM
Jeep Overlander

Look BMW has marketing experts that do research as to where the motorcycle market is headed and what buyers want. Every time someone buys a BMW motorcycle, they send them surveys to ask pertinent questions about why they buy certain bikes and what they currently ride. They also ask where and what they previously rode and why. Honestly, most manufacturers do this and they buy these surveys from each other. Ever fill one out? No! Too busy? Maybe riding some trail or to some exotic off-road location? Like most you can't be bothered.

Then, this is what you get! Next time fill out the survey. If you didn't, blame yourself. I guess everyone that did wanted this bike, because that's what they built. They must think it will sell. Besides, they're much smarter than you or I.