Old 05-16-2013, 09:14 AM   #2701
Roadscum
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,955
Quote:
Originally Posted by RidingDonkeys View Post
I'll see if I can address this one.

5) the instability with the wheels at high speed problem
A) I have yet to see this manifest on my bike. I see this mentioned mostly from riders in Australia. Perhaps Husqvarna Australia did something different when importing the bikes? Perhaps it is just a tire balancing issue? I can't help you there, as I have not experienced it.
Interesting observation, perhaps it has something to do with riding up side down!

Regards, Paul
Old 05-16-2013, 10:14 AM   #2702
IgnacioB
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by IgnacioB View Post
E-mail into the BMW/Husqvarna shop in Asheville. Crossed fingers. Thanks.
Follow-up that they've been the most cost-competitive so far. A set of spoked wheels using the existing bits from my cast wheels (i.e. rotors, ABS ring, bushings, part of the rear assembly) runs $1019 plus about $60 shipping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakebird View Post
re: wheels - call Woody's and get a quote on a set of RAD CACR hubs and wheels laced with HD stainless spokes.
Woody's was very expensive at $1460.16 alone for the same bits plus whatever shipping is. They don't have any hub other than OEM at this point.

Since I don't need spokes until 2013 I'll probably hold off and hope some third party starts making hubs. Maybe Warp 9 or RAD CACR.

Additionally, I found that F650GS BMW wheels bolt up (makes sense too) and maybe I'll find something on the used market.

Thanks all for pieces of the puzzle. Still not cheap, but more options out there and prospects look better to get closer to the $1K mark than $2K mark I originally had thought.

Love my Strada. 101 miles as of this morning and it's a GREAT machine!
My Motorcycle Blog
IgnacioB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 12:06 PM   #2703
trapperj
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 470
Gauge for gas

Pacifisus,

While the TR doesn't have a regular gas gauge the mode where it reads/shows UG..for used gallons. ...is "dead on balls accurate"...sure helps me determine when to buy or start looking for fuel. Good luck in searching. I think when you live with the TR for awhile you will find she's a keeper!
trapperj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 12:32 PM   #2704
Ricky Chuck
Red Green Rulz!

Oddometer: 408
Hey guys, is the fuel filter (and pump) internal or external on these bikes? I've personally never had any issue with the FI on my R, but I've read one of the fears of FI on off-road bikes or even adventure bikes is if the fuel system died for some reason (dirty gas) it would be more difficult to repair than a simple carb. I guess if a batt went south on a FI bike it would be a stopper due to needing more spark or whatever, but if one decides the FI fears are overblown, and there may be more parts available to fit these eventually, the number of reasons, other than money, not to buy one of these is getting smaller (drumming fingers). And I'd just decided I was gonna get a DRZ400 or DR650 after reading Romanousky's thread, lol.
Old 05-16-2013, 02:15 PM   #2705
Pacificus
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by trapperj View Post
Pacifisus,

While the TR doesn't have a regular gas gauge the mode where it reads/shows UG..for used gallons. ...is "dead on balls accurate"...sure helps me determine when to buy or start looking for fuel. Good luck in searching. I think when you live with the TR for awhile you will find she's a keeper!
Thanks for that. Despite the issues I am 90 % certain I will buy one within the next week or two. The UK model has ABS as an option!

RidingDonkeys,

Thanks for your reply too. I posted a full reply to it a few hours ago, but because I included a link in it - and I am a 'noob' - it is 'awaiting moderation'.
Pacificus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 02:56 PM   #2706
ADVJake
***** dweller

Oddometer: 4,338
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Chuck View Post
Hey guys, is the fuel filter (and pump) internal or external on these bikes? I've personally never had any issue with the FI on my R, but I've read one of the fears of FI on off-road bikes or even adventure bikes is if the fuel system died for some reason (dirty gas) it would be more difficult to repair than a simple carb. I guess if a batt went south on a FI bike it would be a stopper due to needing more spark or whatever, but if one decides the FI fears are overblown, and there may be more parts available to fit these eventually, the number of reasons, other than money, not to buy one of these is getting smaller (drumming fingers). And I'd just decided I was gonna get a DRZ400 or DR650 after reading Romanousky's thread, lol.
FI fears are overblown, if heading into remote country, I'd ensure i had multiple filters to the injector, and if the model was known to have issues with the pump, I'd carry a spare, or even a spare injector. People put in fuel socks at the fuel tank cap, this will help against injector blockages which is the cause of most FI issues
Old 05-16-2013, 03:02 PM   #2707
Ricky Chuck
Red Green Rulz!

Oddometer: 408
Thanks, I'm just going on my experience with my fuel pump/filter, which was in the tank. Had a fuel sock on the side of the pump and a large filter in there, too. Nice and unobtrusive until the filter or pump goes, then very tedious to replace either.
Old 05-16-2013, 04:16 PM   #2708
mario33
Howling around...

Oddometer: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacificus View Post
Thanks for that. Despite the issues I am 90 % certain I will buy one within the next week or two. The UK model has ABS as an option.
Got ABS-Terra myself. Its a good bike. BTW I lock my bike against front fork or rear wheel. Plus I use disc-lock. The bike itself is equipped with immobiliser and steering lock and might be alarmed as an option.

Got a good insurance against theft too.
Old 05-16-2013, 04:32 PM   #2709
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 7,849
I don't have the Hepco and Becker link on me, but if you head over to Cafe Husky, there is a sticky for it in the TR650 section. It is a full rack.

Sent from the voices in my head and transcribed by their drinking buddy...

Clinging to sanity, one motorcycle at a time.
RidingDonkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 06:08 PM   #2710
Rayzor61
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by krussell View Post
The Strada / Cast wheel / 50/50 tire / high fender approach...

Yeah, I know, it can't possibly work, I'm doomed to catastrophic wheel failure. In the interim I plan to see how long they'll last. I'm old and slow, I think they'll do ok for me. When one fails I'll post a picture and details about the resulting move to spokes.
What 50/50 tire do you have on there????? Where'd you buy um?
Rayzor61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 06:22 PM   #2711
krussell
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayzor61 View Post
What 50/50 tire do you have on there????? Where'd you buy um?
Heidanau K60 Scout - I had my second flat on the rear Tourance EXP, figured two plugs was enough, so I replaced them. Local BMW dealer had them in stock.
Old 05-16-2013, 07:15 PM   #2712
George 99
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 771
New info from Husky/Husaberg via Motorcycle Daily
Old 05-16-2013, 07:55 PM   #2713
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVJake View Post
FI fears are overblown, if heading into remote country, I'd ensure i had multiple filters to the injector, and if the model was known to have issues with the pump, I'd carry a spare, or even a spare injector. People put in fuel socks at the fuel tank cap, this will help against injector blockages which is the cause of most FI issues
Excellent advice!
I would have NO FEAR venturing far off the grid with an F.I. bike. The fuel sock filter is a great idea ... also ... you really need to be sure of your battery.

Especially true with ABS. Keep that Batt fresh. If you are running a lot of accessories ... then keep a close eye on how many Watts you are drawing. In super cold weather when running my Gerbing, Grips and other things, I shut off headlight (day time) to conserve Battery.

Some guys get bit by accessories that draw juice even when bike is OFF.
So keep an eye on that. Since the Terra does not have a kick start, if Batt gets low, no start. But there is more: On many bikes (mostly BMW's ... which is what the Terra IS) ... even if the Batt gets low ... it can screw up the F.I. (ECM) ABS computer and electrics.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 10:22 PM   #2714
rride
Honda NH 750

Oddometer: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by krussell View Post
Heidanau K60 Scout - I had my second flat on the rear Tourance EXP, figured two plugs was enough, so I replaced them. Local BMW dealer had them in stock.
That is the only disadvantage of raising your front fender up. When you put a long stiff mudflap on a normal fender, it keeps the front tire from 'setting up' nails for the rear tire to run over (rear flats on the road are about 95 - 99%). I haven't had a flat since I've done that little trick. Although yours looks much cooler than stock, I'm too cheap but to have anything except a low front fender on any motorcycle I own.

After having 3 rear flats in a row, I told a BMW dealer I was going to quit riding because I couldn't afford fixing rear flats weekly: and then he told me the dealer secret about the low stiff mudflaps. And most BMW fenders on all but a couple of bikes are high or don't have a rear section to attach a mud flap on! Consider a normal low fender with a back to attach a mudflap on a grace of God (for you and not the tire/motorcycle dealers).
rride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 04:22 AM   #2715
Nev..
wannabe advrider

Oddometer: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacificus View Post
7) A light switch is essential. I could add one but would prefer an easy-access thumb switch where one is supposed to be located on the handlebars. Mounting any switch might prove problematic as it would need to be waterproof and most likely require a special bracket.
I hate to be Captain Obvious but handlebar mounted waterproof switches have been found on motorcycles for decades. Search ebay for "universal motorcycle light switch" and you'll get hundreds of results. Your local bike shop will probably have a dozen in the dirt bike parts bin.