ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-19-2013, 07:58 PM   #2761
Surfinpig
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Surfinpig's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: Philadelphia P.A.
Oddometer: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by snailrider View Post
LOL, I was just thinking of being a writer for Cycle World, I can dream can't I?

I have a sequence... some strange bug looking thing that emerges from the safety of the metal cocoon, stretching its front legs, reaching for Terra Firma.



Then taking its first steps in it new life...


Fighting the last few inches to freedom...


And fully emerged, without a scratch bump or bruise...



I need to find a nice tank bag and a low profile locking trunk. I can fab brackets. Any suggestions?
Sea horse box's , love mine and half the price of pelican
Surfinpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 08:18 PM   #2762
rride
Honda NH 750
 
rride's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2013
Location: LA, CA
Oddometer: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by snailrider View Post
Get the Strada. As others posted, abs...for street a very nice option. I came so close to buying the Strada, I was quoted 7800 out the door. My dealer did not have the Terra, so I drove to California and bought one Friday, thus the pic of it in my van.
Retail, the Strada is $500 more due to the abs and mag wheel differences.

Personally, I don't think a lot of abs on a motorcycle though, and think they abs work better on vertical parallel wheel vehicles (ie - ones that do not lean). The spoke wheels could be considered superior if you get the up to $1500 / wheel Woody deluxe ones. But for the convenience of flats, mag wheels are cool plus the tubes do not effect balancing nor flats.

Other than the wheels and abs, they are virtually the same bike (as well as color, front fenders, and now someone threw an unspecified difference in front forks out there which can't be that much difference, off the cuff...).

Those are good out the door prices for the Strada and ok for the Terra, depending on where you live. I have a feeling Pierer is going to start shipping them all over the country like Walmart does, but to keep prices up rather than down. They have gotten too much good press to completely discount at this point.

I stopped by a Honda Motorcycle shop this week and he showed me their new 700 cc inclined parallel twin bike. It was actually not that bad and at a good price (about $6K for base model). The bad thing was there was only about 20" from the seat to the foot pegs that are 'behind the seat'(!) So the 90 degrees optimal knee bend goes to less than 45 degrees - no way Jose!!
rride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 08:25 PM   #2763
Mobiker
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2003
Location: Missouri
Oddometer: 1,639
Quote:
Originally Posted by RidingDonkeys View Post
I guess you really can fit anything in a minivan.

Sent from the voices in my head and transcribed by their drinking buddy...
I once put my R100GS in a Dodge Grand Caravan and got all the doors closed. The much maligned mini van is a truly versatile vehicle.

Edit: we didn't even take the front wheel off!
__________________
'88 R100GS
'76 xl350
"Don't Panic"
"If I was in a hurry, I'd left earlier."
Mobiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 08:35 PM   #2764
Mobiker
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2003
Location: Missouri
Oddometer: 1,639
mag wheels

The reason some folks, including me, think mag wheels are safer isn't that they are mags, its that they are tubeless. Tubeless are less prone to catastophic failure. It can happen, but its more likely with tubes. I've had dirt bike tires go from fully inflated to completely flat in the blink of an eye. Its not an experience I particularly want to have while running 70 mph on pavement.
__________________
'88 R100GS
'76 xl350
"Don't Panic"
"If I was in a hurry, I'd left earlier."
Mobiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 08:39 PM   #2765
snailrider
Prostpector
 
snailrider's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Tuckson Arizona,
Oddometer: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by rride View Post
Retail, the Strada is $500 more due to the abs and mag wheel differences.

Personally, I don't think a lot of abs on a motorcycle though, and think they abs work better on vertical parallel wheel vehicles (ie - ones that do not lean). The spoke wheels could be considered superior if you get the up to $1500 / wheel Woody deluxe ones. But for the convenience of flats, mag wheels are cool plus the tubes do not effect balancing nor flats.

Other than the wheels and abs, they are virtually the same bike (as well as color, front fenders, and now someone threw an unspecified difference in front forks out there which can't be that much difference, off the cuff...).

Those are good out the door prices for the Strada and ok for the Terra, depending on where you live. I have a feeling Pierer is going to start shipping them all over the country like Walmart does, but to keep prices up rather than down. They have gotten too much good press to completely discount at this point.

I stopped by a Honda Motorcycle shop this week and he showed me their new 700 cc inclined parallel twin bike. It was actually not that bad and at a good price (about $6K for base model). The bad thing was there was only about 20" from the seat to the foot pegs that are 'behind the seat'(!) So the 90 degrees optimal knee bend goes to less than 45 degrees - no way Jose!!
Pierer did not get the bmw derivatives, bmw kept them. A 2 year model production run of Strada and Terra, so if you want one, better get em now. Parts have to be supplied for 10 years, part of the buyout.

The dealer I bought mine from had 10 more bikes held up in customs, and they got shipped back because of the paperwork from the sale and customs being bureaucratic red tape, you will not see anymore brought into the USA.

Yes, there are differences in the front end. Mostly the castings at the end of the forks, on the bottom to hold the fender of the Strada.

The NX700 Honda has great storage. Wrong tires, Honda dealer would not let anyone test drive em. Too bad, so sad, they may have had a sale. It is a bit heavier than the Terra and Strada, similar to the BMW Sertao. 8500 out the door at that place.
snailrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 09:28 PM   #2766
SocalRob
Beastly Adventurer
 
SocalRob's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: Los Angeles @ base of Angeles Crest Hwy
Oddometer: 13,588
Quote:
Originally Posted by snailrider View Post
Pierer did not get the bmw derivatives, bmw kept them. A 2 year model production run of Strada and Terra, so if you want one, better get em now. Parts have to be supplied for 10 years, part of the buyout.

The dealer I bought mine from had 10 more bikes held up in customs, and they got shipped back because of the paperwork from the sale and customs being bureaucratic red tape, you will not see anymore brought into the USA.

Yes, there are differences in the front end. Mostly the castings at the end of the forks, on the bottom to hold the fender of the Strada.

The NX700 Honda has great storage. Wrong tires, Honda dealer would not let anyone test drive em. Too bad, so sad, they may have had a sale. It is a bit heavier than the Terra and Strada, similar to the BMW Sertao. 8500 out the door at that place.
I looked carefully at a Strada and Terra and the castings were identical for the forks. The Terra wheels would bolt up to the Strada and the Strada wheels abs wheel and abs brakes would bolt up to the Terra.

Regarding switching fenders, to put a high fender in the Strada requires 3 pieces, the fender and two USD fork protectors that also route brake lines and wires.
__________________
Rob

'07 White (the coolest color) GSA rider
'13 Husky Strada & '14 KTM 690 Enduro
SocalRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 10:08 PM   #2767
rride
Honda NH 750
 
rride's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2013
Location: LA, CA
Oddometer: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by snailrider View Post
Pierer did not get the bmw derivatives, bmw kept them. A 2 year model production run of Strada and Terra, so if you want one, better get em now. Parts have to be supplied for 10 years, part of the buyout.

The dealer I bought mine from had 10 more bikes held up in customs, and they got shipped back because of the paperwork from the sale and customs being bureaucratic red tape, you will not see anymore brought into the USA.

Yes, there are differences in the front end. Mostly the castings at the end of the forks, on the bottom to hold the fender of the Strada.

The NX700 Honda has great storage. Wrong tires, Honda dealer would not let anyone test drive em. Too bad, so sad, they may have had a sale. It is a bit heavier than the Terra and Strada, similar to the BMW Sertao. 8500 out the door at that place.
Interesting. Thanks for the information. I got the $7150 quote from one place out the door. Another had the $6k retail price on line that I did not get an out the door quote yet. And then there is a smaller shop closer I'd like to check out with a real qualified mechanic owner with integrity.

The 650's are still out there and 40% of them will be in CA (40% of US population): with a good chunk near LA. Husqavarna NA is 30 miles away from me as well. I've got 40 days for the sale, and think these will be popping up for a long time after that by one way or another. You lucky guys who got yours can relax. I think you got the best bike made, and it is made to last unlike most race bikes.
rride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 10:24 PM   #2768
snailrider
Prostpector
 
snailrider's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Tuckson Arizona,
Oddometer: 143
The difference can be seen here. Look at how the fender bolts to the fork. The mount splits the fork tube, and on the back side botton, you can see the aluminum bracket which is part of the end of the fork tube. You would have to cut that off to make it look right.



Sorry about the big pic

snailrider screwed with this post 05-19-2013 at 10:34 PM
snailrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 11:53 PM   #2769
SocalRob
Beastly Adventurer
 
SocalRob's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: Los Angeles @ base of Angeles Crest Hwy
Oddometer: 13,588
Quote:
Originally Posted by snailrider View Post
The difference can be seen here. Look at how the fender bolts to the fork. The mount splits the fork tube, and on the back side botton, you can see the aluminum bracket which is part of the end of the fork tube. You would have to cut that off to make it look right.

Sorry about the big pic
You are right in that the Terra plastic will bolt to the Strada, but not the other way around. When I was looking at the bikes side by side I saw what you mean, but I did not think it would look that bad. Maybe paint the alum. Bracket black and it's negative space.
__________________
Rob

'07 White (the coolest color) GSA rider
'13 Husky Strada & '14 KTM 690 Enduro
SocalRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 04:34 AM   #2770
bobnoxious67
Baby steps...
 
bobnoxious67's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Marion, MA
Oddometer: 2,445
Quote:
Originally Posted by rride View Post
...The 650's are still out there and 40% of them will be in CA (40% of US population): with a good chunk near LA...
Um...no.

11.91 % as of the 2010 census

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._by_population
__________________
"turn it on man, turn it on-whatever, whoever you are-TURN THE FAWKER ON!" -Herbert Foster Gunnison
00 KTM 640 ADV
01 Girlie
09 TE450
bobnoxious67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 05:07 AM   #2771
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome
 
RidingDonkeys's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Southern Pines, North Carolina, USA
Oddometer: 8,379
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnoxious67 View Post
Um...no.

11.91 % as of the 2010 census

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._by_population
Quit pestering rride with facts!
__________________
Sit Stay Ride: The Story of America's Sidecar Dogs
More info at www.sidecardogs.com

Clinging to sanity, one motorcycle at a time.
RidingDonkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 05:32 AM   #2772
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome
 
RidingDonkeys's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Southern Pines, North Carolina, USA
Oddometer: 8,379
Quote:
Originally Posted by SocalRob View Post
You are right in that the Terra plastic will bolt to the Strada, but not the other way around. When I was looking at the bikes side by side I saw what you mean, but I did not think it would look that bad. Maybe paint the alum. Bracket black and it's negative space.
The bracket is indeed there on the Strada. Like you, I just never considered it important enough to deal with. You can order the Terra part to fit it if you wish, but I just didn't see the need.
__________________
Sit Stay Ride: The Story of America's Sidecar Dogs
More info at www.sidecardogs.com

Clinging to sanity, one motorcycle at a time.
RidingDonkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 05:50 AM   #2773
JensEskildsen
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Denmark
Oddometer: 1,005
Saw this vid, an thought of this thread, hope someone will enjoy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=b90m1AiOuAc

__________________
2003 xt600e 150.000km
1986 xt350 100.000km
JensEskildsen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 06:06 AM   #2774
Rayzor61
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Rayzor61's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Yardley, PA
Oddometer: 226
I like the sofa cushions and pillows to keep er from getting scratched.....


...something I woulda done.
Rayzor61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 11:03 AM   #2775
rride
Honda NH 750
 
rride's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2013
Location: LA, CA
Oddometer: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnoxious67 View Post
Um...no.

11.91 % as of the 2010 census

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._by_population
OK, I was thinking about manufacturing in the US (which was actually closer to 45% of total USA), and equated that to the population. 45% of manufacturing in the US is a more compelling reason to have a larger percentage of Husky 650's than population alone (and 12% is documented citizens I'm sure - it can't include the mass majority of undocumented CA inhabitants :-) FL was the same way, except I've never seen so many people in my life in every square mile of CA. Forgive me for my overwhelmed perceptions, but CA gets the main boatloads of Husky 650's - go wiki that!
rride is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:08 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014