User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-20-2013, 02:14 PM   #2776
The Jester
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 812
case saver

Having sold my x challenge, I have a case saver for sale. Have a look on www.twalcom.com for an example, although mine was made by sheffelmeier and does not have the logo.

click on shop, bmw, x challenge then special parts. the case saver is at the bottom of the page.

The Jester screwed with this post 05-21-2013 at 01:05 PM
The Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 02:51 PM   #2777
Rayzor61
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 226
bad link...
Rayzor61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 03:54 PM   #2778
JeffS77
cheap bastard

Oddometer: 3,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngil View Post
Wow. I've only had bikes w/ a 21" front since the late 70's. Guess I shouldn't have even survived.
You just may be full of shit.

by his logic I should be dead a few times over by now as well
JeffS77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 04:31 PM   #2779
Rayzor61
Gnarly Adventurer

How about some decent hand guards that will allow retention of the existing bar ends?

If not:

My intentions are to put a ProTaper 1 1/8 bar adaptor on the top triple tree or completely remove the existing adaptors with the 1 1/8 inch adaptor and put on a set of Black fatty bars. I always have trouble finding bar end for those thick wall aluminum bars.

I guess the first step is to buy the bars and adaptors (bar holder) and set something like this up in black. With this set-up, you dont need an ugly crossbar

This picture shows the Protaper bar adaptors (black)

These are Fatty's also

Does the OEM bar have a threaded opening at the bar end or are the weights wedges that expand on tightening?

Rayzor61 screwed with this post 05-20-2013 at 04:36 PM
Old 05-20-2013, 04:36 PM   #2780
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 8,375
Barkbusters has a TR specific set now if i recall correctly. I saw the part number posted recently.

Sent from the voices in my head and transcribed by their drinking buddy...

Clinging to sanity, one motorcycle at a time.
RidingDonkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 04:36 PM   #2781
wolftrax
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngil View Post
Wow. I've only had bikes w/ a 21" front since the late 70's. Guess I shouldn't have even survived.
You just may be full of shit.
I must have an unknown death wish. I put a 21" hoop on my Tenere.
wolftrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 04:43 PM   #2782
Rayzor61
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFive View Post
Affirmative on both. I raised the bars with a Motosportz bar riser/clamp (über nice piece of machining...btw). And used the TT Adjustable Footpegs (robbed from my F800GS) to both lower and move pegs forward. Puts the foot in perfect position for the rear brake pedal (which is too low & far from peg, in stock setup). They work terrific on the Terra!

I also installed Pro Taper Evo bars in their highest model (Woods High). I'm 5-9, and it's a better fit for even me. Plenty of room left with the cable lengths. That's been no problem.

You could also modify the seat to remove the low dish (which is very comfortable) and gain the rest of the peg to seat clearance you desire.

Fun...fun...bike. Isn't it interesting, that everyone who has test ridden the TR650 has liked it very much. No one has ever expressed a feeling contrary to those reported. I was uncertain whether I wanted to like it....going into my test ride. Only took about 5 miles to "sell me". Just love riding this thing!

HF
Can we see a picture of your handlebar set-up?
Old 05-20-2013, 05:28 PM   #2783
snailrider
Prostpector

Oddometer: 143
@JE--great video.

I got mine out for a ride today for the first time. I did not do any dirt, so to speak, but was super impressed at the highway performance. My goodness what a stable ride, I was not expecting that. I had a xl600r and currently have an xl500r and those things get pushed all over the road on the highway.

This Terra, at 70mph was smooth as silk. Skrew the windshield and fairing, it was awesome. The R100gs was like a squishy brick compared to this Terra.

I do not like the speedo, but I knew I wouldn't from day 1. Will just use the tach. The motor puts of plenty of heat. I am concerned about that in our 100º+ temps we get. I guess I will just have to invest in better riding gear

I knew I would like this, I just knew it. I sure hope BMW gets their act together, but without the Husky parts, they will never produce a bike this good, from what I gather. I used to be a loyal Beemer guy, so for me to say this, is real tough.

@strada guys, just whack it off with a sawzall, you will never go back to the original fender, and you know it. You can save the piece and weld it back on if it ever should be needed in the future.

I gotto go put some more miles on.
snailrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 07:31 PM   #2784
Surfinpig
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 157

Touratech hand guards in stalled. Great product and easy peasy install!
Surfinpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 11:28 PM   #2785
snailrider
Prostpector

Oddometer: 143
snailrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 05:36 AM   #2786
ruppster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 779
Quote:
Originally Posted by rride View Post
OK, I was thinking about manufacturing in the US (which was actually closer to 45% of total USA), and equated that to the population. 45% of manufacturing in the US is a more compelling reason to have a larger percentage of Husky 650's than population alone (and 12% is documented citizens I'm sure - it can't include the mass majority of undocumented CA inhabitants :-) FL was the same way, except I've never seen so many people in my life in every square mile of CA. Forgive me for my overwhelmed perceptions, but CA gets the main boatloads of Husky 650's - go wiki that!
From 2008 statistics:
Manufacturing gross domestic product in $ billions
Rank State GDP Percentage of U.S.
1 California $181.1 11.1%
2 Texas $158.8 9.7%
3 Ohio $84.1 5.1%
4 Illinois $78.8 4.8%
5 North Carolina $78 4.8%
6 Pennsylvania $75.5 4.6%
7 New York $69.1 4.2%
8 Indiana $63.8 3.9%
9 Michigan $61.8 3.8%
10 Wisconsin $48.9 3%

http://econpost.com/industry/manufac...-10-states-gdp

California is first, but the percentage is not quite that large.

Anyway, on with the Huskys. The Strada looks like an inviting alternative to a V-Strom. How much smoother than a KLR are they?
Old 05-21-2013, 06:19 AM   #2787
Muddler
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 734
Any comparisons with the Tenere 660?
Muddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 06:21 AM   #2788
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 8,375
I think the Strada and Wee-Strom are two very different machines.

I'd almost say the Strada has more in common with a Versys, although it doesn't exactly line up with that one either.

Really, a Strada compares more to a mag wheeled BMW 650. Even with mag wheels, the Strada is quite capable off road. Quite a few owners have bought a Strada with the intention of Terra-fying it, but have stopped short of changing the wheels once they figured out how solid it was off road in stock form.

Clinging to sanity, one motorcycle at a time.
RidingDonkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 06:46 AM   #2789
trapperj
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 469
Strada. KLR

Is a Strada smoother than a KLR?

Yes.....with the exception of wind protection. The 2nd gen KLRs are better there. The rear rack is stronger I reckon. That's it IMHO! ( I have owned 3...still have a '90 Barbie)

The turned up Rotax has it all over the antique like Kawasaki. They are both single cylinder.....both near 650 cc. Thats where the similarities end. The F/I Rotax loves to chug along down low....or is happy on slab above 5K RPMs for big stretches. The suspension seems much more ridgid. Adjustments can be felt...a click or two on the pre load makes a difference.

I was in Ashville NC on Saturday with my brother in law who was riding his 2012 Multistrada. Everyone knows what a beast of a bike it is. We rode over and back on the interstate. I hung with him....never felt like I was being left behind. I did use my gearbox....but that's what it's for..no? Now don't mis understand....the multi could kill the TR on slab....but he rode his bike aggressively ...on slab He wasn't holding back to be nice to me...(I know this)...and the TR was right there...I reckon we were between 80 & even saw a indicated 100 a few times. Big fun! I know the TR is in my rotation along with the r1200GS..no matter the route.
trapperj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 01:06 PM   #2790
The Jester
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 812
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jester View Post
Having sold my x challenge, I have a case saver for sale. Have a look on www.twalcom.com for an example, although mine was made by sheffelmeier and does not have the logo.

click on shop, bmw, x challenge then special parts. the case saver is at the bottom of the page.

Link fixed. £35 plus postage will do me. Please PM

The Jester is offline   Reply With Quote