Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-01-2013, 07:52 PM   #2911
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Oddometer: 5,490
Quote:
Originally Posted by BygDaddee View Post
I wish this thread would get back to discussing the bike.
Yep, may as well put this thread into CS&M now, load of crap again here.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, “You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I’m just not close enough to get the job done.”

George Carlin
Cruz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 01:42 PM   #2912
Surfinpig
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Ok back to da tr's,, who put panniers on and what kind?
Surfinpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 01:56 PM   #2913
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 14,382
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfinpig View Post
Ok back to da tr's,, who put panniers on and what kind?
I'm not there yet, but I'm going with Berg Briggs' (BRMoto) racks and Wolfman Expedition Dry saddlebags.

For now the GL Fandango tank bag and Wolfman E-12's with a Dirtbagz duffel do the job pretty well.

IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 07:30 PM   #2914
Rayzor61
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 223
Finally got my Strada Friday. Minimum time spent riding to install accessories. Everything is on and I gotta fashion a rad guard. I use powder coated black wire screen for the bottom of screen doors at the hardware depot. I use car door edge molding to wrap around edges for a clean look and tie it up with zip ties.

I getting it ready for the PA State ALTRIDER ADVENTURE "Conserve the ride 2013" Go to http://www.altrider.com/conserve-the-ride-2013/pid/1308 and check it out. Its a great Adventure enduro run with lots of good food and prizes.

If you live anywhere near Central PA, I strongly recommend attending.

Rayzor61 screwed with this post 06-02-2013 at 07:43 PM
Rayzor61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 08:16 PM   #2915
NextAdventre
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayzor61 View Post
Finally got my Strada Friday. Minimum time spent riding to install accessories. Everything is on and I gotta fashion a rad guard. I use powder coated black wire screen for the bottom of screen doors at the hardware depot. I use car door edge molding to wrap around edges for a clean look and tie it up with zip ties.

I getting it ready for the PA State ALTRIDER ADVENTURE "Conserve the ride 2013" Go to http://www.altrider.com/conserve-the-ride-2013/pid/1308 and check it out. Its a great Adventure enduro run with lots of good food and prizes.

If you live anywhere near Central PA, I strongly recommend attending.
How's about a how-to with pics? I've made a rad cover before, but used old grill plating. Please show is what ya did!
NextAdventre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 09:01 PM   #2916
Ol'NumNuts
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by snailrider View Post
In Canada they call em Loonies I guess.

Hey ONN, a question for ya. Is the shifter, clutch and brakes reversed on your motorcycles too? I know ye cars are funky that way.
Oh Boy, Oh Boy, Oh Boy.... You're settin urself up here to be strung along on the biggest yarn of the year....

But, I'm gonna be kind...

For starters we face the opposite way to you guys, so yes everything is on the opposite hand cause were always leaning back with our arms behind us.... Funny thing is our helmets face the same way as you guys cause we use the eyes in the back of our heads to see with.... : freaky : tongue : poke

Actually, in the last couple of years our Govt. has changed the registration requirements for LH Drive vehicles. So there is an increasing number of your ex-pat tin- tops driving around....
I assure you, that for the most part everything, being foot pedals, blinker and wipers stalks, etc are all in the same place, it's just that we put the car steering wheel on the RIGHT side... Lol...

Otoh, if I get In a European car- well very time I want to use the blinkers the wipers go crazy or the horn blasts, etc... +1 beer!
Ol'NumNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 10:38 PM   #2917
ADVJake
i like stuff

Oddometer: 4,328
dont feed the trolls, or the thread will just go sideways again..

Actually would like to see more feedback on how the bike goes in rougher terrain. Most of the riding i've seen is rather mild dirt touring that a Vstrom could tackle with ease.

If its a true DR650 killer, it should be well composed when loaded up for a deep desert trek, or on nasty trails.
Old 06-03-2013, 02:27 AM   #2918
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 6,377
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVJake View Post

Actually would like to see more feedback on how the bike goes in rougher terrain. Most of the riding i've seen is rather mild dirt touring that a Vstrom could tackle with ease.

If its a true DR650 killer, it should be well composed when loaded up for a deep desert trek, or on nasty trails.
Have you read RuggedExposure's Border Rally Raid report?
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=872817

If I recall correctly, he commutes on his, mostly offroad, everyday. He's definitely putting more offroad miles on his than anyone else as of late.
Old 06-03-2013, 10:17 AM   #2919
snailrider
Prostpector

Oddometer: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol'NumNuts View Post
Oh Boy, Oh Boy, Oh Boy.... You're settin urself up here to be strung along on the biggest yarn of the year....

But, I'm gonna be kind...

For starters we face the opposite way to you guys, so yes everything is on the opposite hand cause were always leaning back with our arms behind us.... Funny thing is our helmets face the same way as you guys cause we use the eyes in the back of our heads to see with.... : freaky : tongue : poke

Actually, in the last couple of years our Govt. has changed the registration requirements for LH Drive vehicles. So there is an increasing number of your ex-pat tin- tops driving around....
I assure you, that for the most part everything, being foot pedals, blinker and wipers stalks, etc are all in the same place, it's just that we put the car steering wheel on the RIGHT side... Lol...

Otoh, if I get In a European car- well very time I want to use the blinkers the wipers go crazy or the horn blasts, etc... +1 beer!
Good one, some folks don't get good humor and don't understand that there are different configurations of setups. Hopefully those who antagonize the trolls never have to mess with your left handed trolls down under .
snailrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 10:18 AM   #2920
snailrider
Prostpector

Oddometer: 143
Quote:
A nice little morsel...
snailrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 12:18 PM   #2921
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:

Exactly what I've been waiting for Jake. I'd love to see a Husky Terra loaded up for RTW and see how one does after 6 months in Russia/Mongolia, Australia or doing S. America.

But from the initial reports, must say I have a good feeling about this bike. I think it's a winner. I was very skeptical of its abilities vs. my DR650 ... but the more reports I read ... and after my short test ride ... I'm well impressed with the Terra thus far.

Tough off road may not be its strong suit, given it's about
20 kgs. heavier than a DR650 ... but aside from that looks good.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 02:26 PM   #2922
Rayzor61
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by NextAdventre View Post
How's about a how-to with pics? I've made a rad cover before, but used old grill plating. Please show is what ya did!

Sure,

I will post it on the thread with the index so it may be added down the road

SEE: PAGE 62, POST # 917 of the other thread (Terra 650 Stupid questions)

Rayzor61 screwed with this post 06-03-2013 at 02:59 PM
Rayzor61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 02:46 PM   #2923
Harder1
braaaap!

Oddometer: 51
Off Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Exactly what I've been waiting for Jake. I'd love to see a Husky Terra loaded up for RTW and see how one does after 6 months in Russia/Mongolia, Australia or doing S. America.

But from the initial reports, must say I have a good feeling about this bike. I think it's a winner. I was very skeptical of its abilities vs. my DR650 ... but the more reports I read ... and after my short test ride ... I'm well impressed with the Terra thus far.

Tough off road may not be its strong suit, given it's about
20 kgs. heavier than a DR650 ... but aside from that looks good.

I don't post much in this thread because it's 90% turd sandwich, but for those that like to ride the tough stuff, the Terra will do it. I spent all day yesterday chasing my brother on his DR650 through gnarly terrain at high speed. We rode the slimy tree root / mud / rocky single tracks for miles. We've been riding since before kindergarten and trust each other when we haul ass in the woods. I continue to be blown away by what the Terra can do. Yeah, it doesn't have 11" of travel, and weighs a lot, but it gets it done! I love the DR650 and think it still has an edge in the gnarly stuff - especially when you set them up proper. But other than knobbies, skid plate, etc. My bike is STOCK and it rips. I think the gas under the seat helps a lot in making the bike's weight disappear once in motion. You can wheelie over whoops, fallen trees, etc on command. You can power through corners in a drift like a dirt bike. You can lock up the rear and slide into your corners. It's scary to get used to, but once you become friends with the bike and commit - it does great.
But here's the kicker...I didn't buy the Terra to be a dirtbike. I bought it to travel the back country on. That said, I love knowing what I can do on the bike if I want to - or if I have to.
Lastly, the DR650 really can't compare to the Terra on the road. The Terra is faster, WAY smoother, more comfortable, and more nimble. It's a great bike. Some may want to worry about getting the best deal, gas mileage, what S.P. will do etc. I'm going to worry about finding as much time as possible to ride my Terra.
Harder1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 09:41 AM   #2924
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harder1 View Post
It's a great bike. Some may want to worry about getting the best deal, gas mileage, what S.P. will do etc. I'm going to worry about finding as much time as possible to ride my Terra.
Excellent ride review .... IMO, BEST REVIEW so far on this thread describing the kind of off road riding I was waiting to hear about.

The next step is to load one up and hit the long road. I don't mean AMA Enduros ... just the typical stuff riders encounter doing Baja, S. America and Mongolia. BIG UPS Harder!
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 11:07 AM   #2925
Harder1
braaaap!

Oddometer: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Excellent ride review .... IMO, BEST REVIEW so far on this thread describing the kind of off road riding I was waiting to hear about.

The next step is to load one up and hit the long road. I don't mean AMA Enduros ... just the typical stuff riders encounter doing Baja, S. America and Mongolia. BIG UPS Harder!
I'd give my left nut to ride S. America or Mongolia! If somebody wants to pay my bills, I'll go test the Terra I'm going to load her up this weekend with my Giant Loop Cyote and head down to Hood River Oregon for the Black Dog Dual Sport. Then, I'm going to ride part of the WABDR home. This loaded up off-roady camping trip will be my first of many on the Terra. I'll post my observations etc when I get back.
Harder1 is offline   Reply With Quote