Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2013, 01:30 AM   #3016
SocalRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,250
Quote:
Originally Posted by RidingDonkeys View Post
I made contact with TCI about building a tail rack and luggage racks for the TR650. They need a bike for prototyping and fitment in Orange, California. There will be swag for donating the use of your bike. Any volunteers? PM me if interested.

For those that don't know, TCI makes some pretty neat and robust luggage solutions. This could be our ticket to getting rid of that wretched plastic rack.

http://www.tciproductsusa.com/
They have any idea when this might come about?

(shameless thread bump)

'07 White (the coolest color) GSA rider
'13 Husky Strada & '14 KTM 690 Enduro
SocalRob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 04:50 AM   #3017
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 7,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by SocalRob View Post
They have any idea when this might come about?

(shameless thread bump)
No clue. I put two TR owners in contact with Tom. Hopefully they will link up soon so TCI can mock up a design.
Old 06-24-2013, 03:51 PM   #3018
Blaise W
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 625
For anyone wondering how the Terra will hold up on a long trip, maybe some thru the bush with less than hi-test gasoline, here is a pic of Codger Rider in Inuvik NWT, taken today. He started in Houston, thru Canada and the Yukon, all the major cities in Alaska, and turned south and east in Dawson to head for the Dempster.
Blaise W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 04:17 PM   #3019
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Nice! Sounds like quite a ride. The Terra is looking GOOD with the Wolfman bags on there. Very neat and Tidy!
Is there a Ride Report anywhere? Love to hear how the trip went over the long miles.

Has he made it home yet?
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 06:15 PM   #3020
Blaise W
Studly Adventurer

There are a few pics on another bike specific site, but no real ride report from Codger Rider. I just kind of pass on his progress from time to time. I don't think he is even halfway into his Summer ride yet. Next is Trans Can, Trans Lab, who knows what else and back home to Houston. What a smoke test for the Terra. Codger is a big guy, his bike is loaded down, and he tends to take care of his bike but no baby it at all. I'm really curious how good a job Husky did with this engine. We'll see...
Old 06-25-2013, 01:46 PM   #3021
snailrider
Prostpector

Oddometer: 143
No More Terra's and Strada's

Finally got a reply from Husky,

Dear Mr. Dave,
Many thanks for your email of the 14th of June regarding future plans of production of the TR650 Terra. The mentioned bike is still on sale to the Husqvarna dealers until stocks last. The short term strategy will be focused on the Motocross and Enduro range, two and four stroke, with no further production of the street models, which were developed with BMW technology. Husqvarna will soon come back on tarmac with a new, exciting, Supermoto bike which will be introduced in about one year. The full spare parts and customer service for all model years, including 2013 bikes, are fully guaranteed in all Husqvarna factory dealers worldwide.

I hope this answer will satisfy your request. I am fully available for further information.

Best regards

PAOLO
CARRUBBA
Media and PR Manager
---------------------------------
E paolo.carrubba@husqvarna-motorcycles.com
E paolo.carrubba@ktm.com
W www.husqvarna-motorcycles.com

Husqvarna Motorcycles Srl
Via Nino Bixio, 8
21024 Biandronno (VA) Italy
snailrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 02:56 PM   #3022
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,283
Man, the Italians get the bike it looks beautiful, the Germans get it and it looks homely.
Old 06-25-2013, 03:20 PM   #3023
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by snailrider View Post
Finally got a reply from Husky,
Thanks for posting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by snailrider View Post
Dear Mr. Dave,
Many thanks for your email of the 14th of June regarding future plans of production of the TR650 Terra. The mentioned bike is still on sale to the Husqvarna dealers until stocks last. The short term strategy will be focused on the Motocross and Enduro range, two and four stroke, with no further production of the street models, which were developed with BMW technology. Husqvarna will soon come back on tarmac with a new, exciting, Supermoto bike which will be introduced in about one year. The full spare parts and customer service for all model years, including 2013 bikes, are fully guaranteed in all Husqvarna factory dealers worldwide.

I hope this answer will satisfy your request. I am fully available for further information.

Best regards

PAOLO
CARRUBBA
Media and PR Manager
E paolo.carrubba@husqvarna-motorcycles.com
E paolo.carrubba@ktm.com
W www.husqvarna-motorcycles.com

Husqvarna Motorcycles Srl
Via Nino Bixio, 8
21024 Biandronno (VA) Italy
Sort of sounds like Paolo is parroting company talking points. Nothing new there that has not already been alluded to in earlier press reports and interviews. I doubt poor Paolo knows much of KTM/Husky plans ... and if he did, wouldn't make a peep. (he likes his job!)

I'd bet Paolo hasn't a clue how many Terra's / Strada's have sold here in the USA. If KTM are smart they'll get guys like Paolo OUT and let someone with "Boots on the ground" in the USA to answer US based customer's questions and comment on such issues. KTM/Husky will have to quit treating PR guys like Mushrooms.

Part of Huskies problem when Castigleoni owned Husky was how out of touch they always were here in the USA ... and the most disorganized Moto company in the world save Chinese companies. Out of touch with dealers, customers and our market. Like they had NO idea of the potential market here or really anything about it, even though the Castigleoni's had 20 years to figure things out ... they never did. Doubt this? Ask any long time Husky dealer. They're whole world was Italy and the EU.
The USA may as well have been Jupiter.

BMW, at least knew well the US market and knew the potential of the Terra and Strada here. But BMW are now on a Green Rampage ... and more power to them ... but have pulled back from ALL off road engagement.

I wonder how they intend to "Green Wash" their new water cooled GS? Not to mention their current Sertao and G650 dual sport bikes. Maybe they'll pitch them as beginner bikes ... like they did with the original FunDuros in the 90s? As to BMW's new Green Direction?
Any bets as to how many millions of Euros they'll lose on their latest BIG Scooter projects, including E bikes? I'd guess 10's of Millions as a start.
Old 06-25-2013, 04:17 PM   #3024
Blaise W
Studly Adventurer

It is very disappointing that Husky will have no more road durable dual sport adventure bikes in their lineup. I'm sure glad that I have two of them, and if I had the spare change, would buy another low mile 630 for future use. However, at 66, the one I have now will more than likely run as long as I will need it. The 610/630 are the best of the breed, at least IMHO. In the future, maybe Beta will provide EFI. If not, then it will have to be a KTM replacement, if they have something similar at that time. Then, there is always the hope for a Yamaha WR400R!
Old 06-25-2013, 06:21 PM   #3025
jwdub
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 505
Thank God I got my Strada recently. It's the best single I've had, and I've had oodles of them in my 52 years of riding. I agree that the new owner is missing the boat. I'm really not interested in a SM type of single -- too focused on a narrow idea of riding to suit me.
jwdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 07:24 PM   #3026
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwdub View Post
Thank God I got my Strada recently. It's the best single I've had, and I've had oodles of them in my 52 years of riding. I agree that the new owner is missing the boat. I'm really not interested in a SM type of single -- too focused on a narrow idea of riding to suit me.
Funny about the SM comment. Husky and BMW both already know what a total failure previous Husky SM's were here in the USA. They did not sell.
KTM know this too. SM's were a fad that came in went in the USA very quickly about a 2 o 3 year cycle ... and it won't, IMO, be re-cycling back anytime soon. SM is pretty much DEAD. Ask any dealer. Dual sports are what is making a come back. From Suzuki to BMW to these recent Huskies. Dual Sports and big ADV bikes seem to be what's popular now. Not much else is selling all that well.
Old 06-27-2013, 08:02 PM   #3027
WhiskeyTangoM3
I WANT!

Oddometer: 10
I would love for this to be my first bike, but the future of it sounding to be so uncertain is the only reason why I'm leaning towards the WR250R instead.
WhiskeyTangoM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 09:50 PM   #3028
kawagumby
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 665
Eh?

I hope they get the parts availability issue straightened out. I really like my Terra, but would not want to have it sidelined for weeks or months as some already are suffering.

What a strange situation, finally a good all-round DS design for so many people and it's probably a one-year phenomenon.
Old 06-27-2013, 10:26 PM   #3029
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawagumby View Post
I hope they get the parts availability issue straightened out. I really like my Terra, but would not want to have it sidelined for weeks or months as some already are suffering.

What a strange situation, finally a good all-round DS design for so many people and it's probably a one-year phenomenon.
Hopefully a bit longer than a year ... and it seems likely parts will be available too. There have been a couple reports from Euro press about the warehouses in and around Varese, Italy stuffed full of new, un-shipped Huskies. Hopefully they've built up a stock of parts as well ... as is usual and especially since BMW were in charge during production of the Terra/Strada. BMW know this part of production really well. Organized.
I'm sure BMW were way ahead on that.

Somewhere, there are parts stashed ... it's up to KTM to find them and get them into distribution and support current models. If they don't ... NO ONE will have confidence in the NEW company.

And ... if those Warehouse stories are accurate it's possible several Husky models could continue for sale for another year or even two. After that I'd imagine KTM/Bajaj will have something new coming down the pipeline. Fingers crossed they don't screw things up. (I am not hopeful. Why? One word: Bajaj)
Old 06-30-2013, 06:54 AM   #3030
rride
Honda NH 750

Oddometer: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawagumby View Post

Now you know what Aprilia owners go through!
rride is offline   Reply With Quote