Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-2013, 03:26 PM   #3046
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 6,378
Quote:
Originally Posted by RidingDonkeys View Post
Doh!

I was installing my SW-Motech goodies when this happened.

This goes into the upper left side engine mount. ghead:
There is good news. Fastenal sells these exact bolts, but not in zinc plated. Guess what? The ones they sell are BLACK! No more unsightly zinc plating sticking out from the engine mount.

I've got two of each bolt on the way. They will be here Friday. Pictures and part numbers to follow.
Old 07-03-2013, 02:21 PM   #3047
megatiker75
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Quote:
This is precisely the issue that many of us have experienced. I was fortunate that mine was setup correctly before I picked it up. There is magic on the MOSS computer software that interfaces with the ECU on the motorcycle. I do not know everything that they do, but a good technician can sort it out.

Some riders have had the throttle position sensor adjusted with the MOSS.

Others have had the fuel mapping adjusted.

Mine was delivered perfect from a dealer that knew what to look for. Perhaps the users who have had the issue fixed can provide more info.

There is also a thread devoted to it on Cafe Husky.

http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/mos...awesome.29435/
Thank you. I read everything on the forum but I did not understand if the solution, to run, the engine idle for three minutes. You have to do this every time you turn on the bike.
megatiker75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 05:00 PM   #3048
trapperj
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by megatiker75 View Post
Thank you. I read everything on the forum but I did not understand if the solution, to run, the engine idle for three minutes. You have to do this every time you turn on the bike.
No you don't have to. I do let the bike idle a moment or two at start up first time when cold. After I added a booster plug my problems are over. My experience was the moss helped a lot..but the BP fixed what was wrong with my bike.

I do think that if you go through a evelation change it might benefit you to allow the longer idle time. If ever towed on a trailer or truck it would make perfect sense to idle for a long warm up.

I usually start my bike after rolling out of the garage and let it idle while I get my helmet, gloves, gear all laced up & ready to go. Seems to work great that way.
trapperj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 04:16 PM   #3049
megatiker75
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
ok, I tried it and maybe something has happened. But still goes out every so often. July 13 will the first service and I will update the software. in the meantime I ordered booster plug .. I think I can solve in one way or another. ;)
megatiker75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 02:14 PM   #3050
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Concerning the reports of front end instability, I have conducted my own research of sorts.

I started with a Strada. I ran it up to 90+ several times, and never saw any of the instability issues that folks reported.

I changed to the spoke wheels, 21" up front with a Heide K60. I also have Barkbusters installed. I ran it up to 90+ several times today for sustained periods, and still didn't experience any instability.

Tires were balanced on both sets of wheels.

I have to think that there is an individual factor here that is causing this in some bikes, because I've now tested both wheel combos and experienced nothing but an excessive grin on my face.
Old 07-05-2013, 02:29 PM   #3051
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Concerning the reports of front end instability, I have conducted my own research of sorts.

I started with a Strada. I ran it up to 90+ several times, and never saw any of the instability issues that folks reported.

I changed to the spoke wheels, 21" up front with a Heide K60. I also have Barkbusters installed. I ran it up to 90+ several times today for sustained periods, and still didn't experience any instability.

Tires were balanced on both sets of wheels.

I have to think that there is an individual factor here that is causing this in some bikes, because I've now tested both wheel combos and experienced nothing but an excessive grin on my face.
Another way to test for instability is to get up to 90 or so ... then cut throttle and take both hands off the bars. This is how we would test Sport bikes in the old days. Almost ALL would go into a mild weave ... some devolve into a slapper if you let it go. It would be worse if you did this then hit neutral. Getting hands back on bars always settled things back down, no problem.

I'm impressed your not getting even a slight weave on your bike. Most every dual sport I've owned since the mid 80's has done this at high speed.
No tank slappers for me ... just that mild weave.

As most know, a light grip on the bars is best. All kinds of things can affect this weave ... the list is a mile long. In my experience tires have the biggest influence. YMMV.

The Strada and Terra sound to me like most are well within the safe zone.

How many hours is that stock seat good for?
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 02:58 PM   #3052
trapperj
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 305
Quote:
This is precisely the issue that many of us have experienced. I was fortunate that mine was setup correctly before I picked it up. There is magic on the MOSS computer software that interfaces with the ECU on the motorcycle. I do not know everything that they do, but a good technician can sort it out.

Some riders have had the throttle position sensor adjusted with the MOSS.

Others have had the fuel mapping adjusted.

Mine was delivered perfect from a dealer that knew what to look for. Perhaps the users who have had the issue fixed can provide more info.

There is also a thread devoted to it on Cafe Husky.

http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/mos...awesome.29435/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Another way to test for instability is to get up to 90 or so ... then cut throttle and take both hands off the bars. This is how we would test Sport bikes in the old days. Almost ALL would go into a mild weave ... some devolve into a slapper if you let it go. It would be worse if you did this then hit neutral. Getting hands back on bars always settled things back down, no problem.

I'm impressed your not getting even a slight weave on your bike. Most every dual sport I've owned since the mid 80's has done this at high speed.
No tank slappers for me ... just that mild weave.

As most know, a light grip on the bars is best. All kinds of things can affect this weave ... the list is a mile long. In my experience tires have the biggest influence. YMMV.

The Strada and Terra sound to me like most are well within the safe zone.

How many hours is that stock seat good for?
Ive done several longish trips on my Strada...many 300 mile days and I think the seats pretty good. I do wish it was a bit taller so I could open up my legs a bit. I removed the rubber inserts in the foot pegs which helped some. I may do seat concepts tall seat soon..

As far as wobbles. The Touratech hand guards made mine much worse. Removing them cured 90% of my weave. I can still get her to dance a little at speeds over 75 or 80. Air pressure ...tank bags and where I sit on the seat seem to influence the weave. My GPS is mounted on the bars and rides a little up and could be a factor...idk. I can live with it.

Maybe I'm just in tune with what the bike is doing? I have hours on end at those kind of speeds. Just yesterday I ran back from Asheville through the gorge on I-40 in the rain. I bet I averaged 80...burned through 2 gallons of fuel too....those kind of speeds I still got 43 mpg. Some of this time the speedo read as high as 90...and the gps backs it up within 2 mph even that high. I think that's great at those high speeds.
trapperj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 08:34 PM   #3053
RuggedExposure
wandering the desert

Oddometer: 1,193
Custom rear rack for the Terra

I'm not looking to go into business here, but I am starting the process of making a custom rack for the rear of the Terra. Since mine took a ginormous s*** :

I purchased some hollow tubing and strap, a pipe bender (getting returned for a hydraulic one) and a pipe notcher. Since I'm going to all of this effort to make myself one, I might as well fab up a few more to cover the costs of the necessary tools. Typically I would just build something in the fabrication lab at the university where I paid for 10 years of experience just to get a career in some totally non-related field... but I moved, and I'm not driving 2 hours away just to use their equipment. OK, I take that back, I weld at work every now and then:

Tweber sent me this for an idea of a rear rack for the Terra:
Vstrom custom rear rack.

The tubing I purchased is a little larger in diameter and will be stouter. I'm not going to copy this design closely, but it serves as a decent starting point (I'm thinking something that follows the lines of the tail better). So if anyone else is interested in a custom rear rack (price to be determined when I get the design figured out and tested) shoot me some other racks for ideas.

Once I get a general design down I can probably start taking orders and make the racks with whatever bells and whistles you want, such as passenger grab bars on the side or weld on some strap with pre-drilled holes for mounting a Roto-pax fuel cell.

I'll keep you guys updated on the progress. They will be MIG welded for the mean time, I'm considering purchasing the TIG setup for my welder, but that also means buying an Argon bottle and regulator/flow meter ($$$). So until I cough up the money for that, this will be done with MIG.

Border Road 100 Border Road Rally Raid
'13 Husky Terra 650, '08 Kawasaki Meanstreak 1600, '95 DR350S
RuggedExposure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 11:16 AM   #3054
eca
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Rack

I'd be interested in a rear rack for sure. Personally I like the look and design of the OEM rack, just wish it was metal and you could confidently put more than 20lbs on it! I run a rotopax as well and predrilled mounting holes would be awesome. Maybe a quick release system for the mount itself. I also have the Brmoto side racks installed, so compatibility with those or other systems is a necessity. Of course you can never have enough tie down points either!

Anyway just a couple ideas. Looking forward to following the development.
eca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 11:54 PM   #3055
thesurvivalist
Backcountry Rider

Oddometer: 471
Is it ok to run a terra on regular 85 octane?

What is the usual real world gas mileage?

Does anyone know if these bikes will be discontinued by ktm?

I really like the terra but dont want to buy another bike with questionable parts availability.
Buell Ulysses Xb12X
Custom Leather Work-Made In England www.lordofleather.com
thesurvivalist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 04:43 AM   #3056
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesurvivalist View Post
Is it ok to run a terra on regular 85 octane?

What is the usual real world gas mileage?

Does anyone know if these bikes will be discontinued by ktm?

I really like the terra but dont want to buy another bike with questionable parts availability.
I've run it without issue on 85 octane, but I wouldn't suggest doing it regularly. I've run a few tanks of it with no problems though.

Discontinued? Almost certainly. If it continues, it likely won't continue with the current engine. This question has been addressed ad nauseum though, and we don't need another debate on it in this thread.

Even though KTM has affirmed parts availability, if you are concerned about buying an orphaned bike then you just need to look away. You'll miss out on one hell of a bike though.
Old 07-10-2013, 07:12 PM   #3057
tigrebleau
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 660
[QUOTE=snailrider;21724766]Finally got a reply from Husky,

...The mentioned bike is still on sale to the Husqvarna dealers until stocks last. ...

Baloney. My dealer has a contract with Husky for 2 more Terras that Husky won't or can't ship. They have been waiting for months for a replacement ECU for the one they do have in stock. It took 8 months to get in the rack and bags for the one I want to buy (if it were running). Sheesh! Maybe they are a good fit with KTM.
Old 07-11-2013, 05:00 AM   #3058
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

[QUOTE=tigrebleau;21837277]
Quote:
Originally Posted by snailrider View Post
Finally got a reply from Husky,

...The mentioned bike is still on sale to the Husqvarna dealers until stocks last. ...

Baloney. My dealer has a contract with Husky for 2 more Terras that Husky won't or can't ship. They have been waiting for months for a replacement ECU for the one they do have in stock. It took 8 months to get in the rack and bags for the one I want to buy (if it were running). Sheesh! Maybe they are a good fit with KTM.

There are more TR650s out there. The last shipment to the US got turned around at port due to being imported by KTM with an MSO from BMW. KTM told some dealers that they will be reissued as 2014 models, and that they will be the final ones sent.
Old 07-11-2013, 08:49 PM   #3059
njoytheride
NJOYN' THE JOURNEY

Oddometer: 797
[QUOTE=RidingDonkeys;21830893]I've run it without issue on 85 octane, but I wouldn't suggest doing it regularly. I've run a few tanks of it with no problems though.

Now that was funny...regular -ly. My bad, can't help but appreciate a good pun. seriously they did some major damage to the BMW F800's engines burning lower octane fuel.
Now, back to the show.
njoytheride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 10:12 PM   #3060
RuggedExposure
wandering the desert

Oddometer: 1,193
Beginning of the 6k mile overhaul

Its time to start tearing down the Terra and do some much needed work to it. The first project in line is to remove the remains of the busted rear rack and try to remove the broken bolt. For the 2nd time.

I already did this a few months ago, and I was incredibly lucky to get it out the way I did. I will NEVER use loc-tite on these bolts again.

I began by removing the seat and rear cover, and also the cover on the bottom. Once these were off I could see the tail light was needing some TLC too. For being less than 5 months old, this bike has been beat to sheeeeit.

Once off I was happy to see the missing bolt wasn't snapped off in the light housing, but merely rattled out. I ended up finding it in the bottom cover. Who knows how long the tail light has been loose.

While trying to open up some space, I noticed I broke this mount somewhere along the trail. Nice.

Last time I removed this broken bolt from the top by soaking it with some liquid wrench and backing it out with a small punch and a hammer (and a lot of luck). This time I approached it from the bottom:

I had just enough surface on the bolt to grab with some vise-grips and turn it clockwise to thread it out from the bottom.
After an hour of fingering it, I was finally making some progress:

I'm amazed it came out without a lot of pain considering the blue loc-tite on the threads.

Got it back together, and now onto the next project:

I played with my new pipe bender a little today and messed around with some scrap.

What's left on the list:
-oil/filter change
-air filter
-mount new rear tire
-repair/replace front tube
-new chain and sprocket
-design and fabricate rear rack
-check valve clearances

Border Road 100 Border Road Rally Raid
'13 Husky Terra 650, '08 Kawasaki Meanstreak 1600, '95 DR350S
RuggedExposure is offline   Reply With Quote