Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-13-2013, 05:25 AM   #3076
kurvenkrycher
n00b out of passion

Oddometer: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuffa View Post
Out on the tracks today I heard the dreaded "crack" from the rear fender.

I am wondering, wether the RG Racing plate holder would be an adequate substitute. Instructions: http://www.eiweiss-raceparts.de/anle...n/LP0129BK.pdf?

Edit: Product Page: http://www.rg-racing.com/browseBike/.../LP0129BK.aspx

At least it's claimed to be made of 2.5mm steel. So anyone here who has experience with this? As we are damned to have really large license plates over here, I am a bit worried about the plate hitting the tire when the shock gets occasionally bottomed out. After all there is a warning about this down in the paper.

And, off course, your back will get even more muddy. Fine with me.

Further, I am looking into a replacement for the plastic rack with the Hepco & Becker Aluminum Rack. However, albeit listed, this is not available yet and if, for what reason ever, doing one your own or ordering one from Rugged Exposure will not be an option, maybe a couple of more inquiries will help getting it delivered finally.

http://neu.hepco-becker.de/Montagean...07521.0101.pdf. Scroll down for english, if interested.

For my part I am hoping, this combination should be able replace the fragile plastic rear in a proper way.

Edit: I've also asked for the weight carrying capacity of that H&B rack, but haven't gotten any figures as of yet. Still waiting for another reply after reenquiry.

kurvenkrycher screwed with this post 07-13-2013 at 06:07 AM
kurvenkrycher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 09:44 PM   #3077
RuggedExposure
wandering the desert

Oddometer: 1,207
Since I have only had a few minutes here and there, I decided to put the valves off until Monday, Tues, or Weds.
In the mean time I've been figuring out the mounts for the new rack:

Here is what I have in mind for the 1st model:

This is not to scale, but only a rough sketch. The cross straps in the back will be spaced for mounting a rotopax.

I will draw up a 2nd model with more of a square rack, better suited for mounting a top box or just more cargo space.

I also will be welding on smaller loops of tubing, probably two on each side, for ties downs and bungees. These will be MIG welded, and the tubing is 7/8" OD thick wall tubing, bent with a hydraulic tubing bender and notched ends.

How many people will be interested in the model for the rotopax?
How many interested in the square shaped model for a top box?

Border Road 100 Border Road Rally Raid
'13 Husky Terra 650, '08 Kawasaki Meanstreak 1600, '95 DR350S
RuggedExposure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 12:31 AM   #3078
Revolutions
Revs

Oddometer: 15
Terra air cleaner problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jules083 View Post
Rather than a platform to modify into a good adventure bike it seems more like they combined the worst of all dual sports into one bike.

Small gastank
Heavy
No wind protection
No attempt at even a plastic skid plate
Luggage looks to be difficult and expensive

It's kinda like if you took a XR650R and added 100 lbs without actually improving anything. Or maybe added power to a KLR but removed the fairings and made parts more expensive. Am I missing something?
My mate has a 650 Terra and last week we decided to service (clean) the air cleaner as we had been riding on some dusty roads. We were appalled to discover dust on the WRONG side of the air cleaner! The slide in filter is poorly designed, the filter mates to a flat sealing "flange" on 3 sides, the top lacks a sealing "flange" and instead rely's on the good fit of the element against the roof of the airbox. In our case the element simply didn't seal and a tell tale strip of orange dust about 1 1/4" wide fanned away on the interior surface of the airbox from the leaking seal. Owners of Terra's should check their own bikes to see whether their bikes are ingesting dust! A liberal amount of grease on the top sealing area of the filter element should be an effective fix, fingers crossed. I should add, the bike is new and hasn't been fiddled with, the dealer is the only person to put a spanner on this bike (up until now)
Revolutions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 06:07 PM   #3079
Northern TerraTory
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Hit the dirt today for a squirt out to Howard River Rockbar. Good fun, had a couple of hairy moments in the sandy patches with the stock rubber and my lack of experience! I'll have to take the fishing rod next time and lure up a Barramundi or two!

Northern TerraTory screwed with this post 07-15-2013 at 06:13 PM
Northern TerraTory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 08:37 PM   #3080
njoytheride
NJOYN' THE JOURNEY

Oddometer: 827
Nice looking job on the rack Rugged. I will be fabricating something up soon.
Looks like ya got a nice places to ride over there in Austraila.
What better then a Husky on a rough trail ?

Two Huskys on a rough trail
njoytheride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 03:02 AM   #3081
kurvenkrycher
n00b out of passion

Oddometer: 9
Just in case anyone should be interested, the Hepco Becker Rack replacement is in production and will be available withing 2-3 weeks.

No news on the weight figures, though.
kurvenkrycher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 09:33 PM   #3082
RuggedExposure
wandering the desert

I spent the majority of the day messing with this damn rack. It is a pain in the ass.

Finished the main hoop this morning:

The tubing notcher is working OK, but stills needs some shimming:

UPS came and dropped off a package from MotorcycleSuperstore... This giant box contained a chain rivet link. That's it.
If they didn't have free shipping I would be pissed.

I unhooked the battery and removed the computer from the bike before I began tack welding. Even though its only about 14-16volts, I don't want to take any chances. I started off covering the bike with this towel, and cutting holes for the mounts to go through, then it began catching fire in spots and I called off the towel.

Got the main hoop welded to the front mounts:

Shimmed the hole notcher a little more, now its cutting the pipe evenly:

This step was the most time consuming. Since the small sections of pipe are too small to be cut in the notcher, I had to do some saddles by hand with a small cutting wheel:

Back mounts welded to the hoop:

Showing the clearance above the tail:

Old 07-16-2013, 09:37 PM   #3083
RuggedExposure
wandering the desert

This is what it will look like with the Rotopax 1gal on there:

I welded some strap across the back for the Rotopax mount. Drilled it and went to put the rack back on the bike. Somehow the straps pulled the hoop ends close together and now the front mounts don't line up.

Great.

So tomorrow I am going to have to cut some wedges out of the hoop, open it up a tad and weld them back together.
Luckily this rack is just to be used a template for dimensions. What a pain in the ass.

Edit:
You'll also noticed I had to stray away from the design of my rough sketch. There just wasn't enough room for two more pieces of pipe to run the length of the hoop and I don't think it would have made that much of a difference strength wise. This hoop is already stout, and I don't want the extra weight.

RuggedExposure screwed with this post 07-16-2013 at 09:55 PM
Old 07-17-2013, 06:35 AM   #3084
wingnut11
generally strange

Oddometer: 647
You were on track with the towel. You just lacked water. Yes I'm serious. It's and old hot rodder trick to use damp rags around areas in which you are welding especially anything you don't want to warp. Not dripping wet, well maybe a little but not too much.
Old 07-17-2013, 09:58 AM   #3085
trapperj
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 445
Rack

When there done I'd be a buyer I think. Need something that won't fall/ break off and this looks like a winner to me! Waiting for a price and eta.

GO R/E..GO,!...
trapperj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 11:40 AM   #3086
Tweber
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Quote: I welded some strap across the back for the Rotopax mount.

Like the design....looks like a great handle to pull bike around also

Well done
Tweber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 09:19 AM   #3087
Icy Roads
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
Is this a fair verdict on this bike?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jules083 View Post
Rather than a platform to modify into a good adventure bike it seems more like they combined the worst of all dual sports into one bike.

Small gastank
Heavy
No wind protection
No attempt at even a plastic skid plate
Luggage looks to be difficult and expensive

It's kinda like if you took a XR650R and added 100 lbs without actually improving anything. Or maybe added power to a KLR but removed the fairings and made parts more expensive. Am I missing something?
I have a friend looking to replace his worn out KLR. He has done serious long distance touring on his KLR 80000 kilometers and counting. If the Terra has crappy fuel range he won't buy it plain and simple. Combine that with all the other short comings and you have a pretty bad platform to dual sport on........ Is that the consensus of the owners or an isolated opinion?
Old 07-19-2013, 09:38 AM   #3088
hasenpfeffer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Roads View Post
Is that the consensus of the owners or an isolated opinion?
I would say that's a common opinion of someone who hasn't ridden one. Ride it, buy it, have fun.
hasenpfeffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 09:46 AM   #3089
RuggedExposure
wandering the desert

Quote:
I have a friend looking to replace his worn out KLR. He has done serious long distance touring on his KLR 80000 kilometers and counting. If the Terra has crappy fuel range he won't buy it plain and simple. Combine that with all the other short comings and you have a pretty bad platform to dual sport on........ Is that the consensus of the owners or an isolated opinion?
Not at all. I wouldn't have attempted this on anything else: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=872817

Old 07-19-2013, 10:46 AM   #3090
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 7,243
Quote:
Really, there is no comparison to the KLR. Just ride it and see. The suspension on the TR650 is far superior, the TR is lighter, and the center of gravity is significantly lower.

The only two issues I see are the rear rack and the fuel capacity, not the fuel economy. For me, the fuel capacity is just fine. If you want more, there are options to add a bigger tank. However, if I need more, I'll just pack a rotopax so I can keep the weight down low. It is more effective, and much better than a huge tank up top.

As for the rear rack, aftermarket solutions are coming. They are also way cheaper than upgrading the suspension on a KLR.