Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2013, 08:21 PM   #3256
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawagumby View Post
A standard rimlock in good condition would not cause a flat, IMO. If a rimlock has lost the rubber buffering around the metal, then problems could occur.

I've been riding dirt for over 50 years on virtually every brand and size of dirt bike and never had a rim lock puncture a tube (that I can recall anyways). Rimlocks typically make a slight imprint on the tube, but that's not wear. A rimlock needs to be inspected now and then like anything else.

Some guys have trouble mounting tires, causing the rimlock to pinch the tube. The trick is to inflate the tube slightly before you finish mounting the tire so the tube can't get caught between the rimlock and the tire.
This reflects my experience as well ... never a prob with a rim lock. I don't have 50 years riding dirt bikes ... but did compete in AMA Enduro class for 8 years. Made it to B rider, which for me, was a miracle.

I did, on occasion, ride a flat 10 or so miles to GAS/LUNCH before swapping tubes. OK with a rim lock as the tire sort of stays on the wheel

I guess modern rim locks are not the match of the older stuff? The KTM SE rider is an expert rider with decades experience and an excellent tech.
I doubt the install was faulty ... but I'm no expert on this stuff. Here is a pic of his tube (sorry, buddies crap Phone camera!)

Maybe he tightened Rim lock down too tight? Hard to see but there were several little skake bite type cuts and the indents were
very deep. HD Metzeler real rubber tube or some such.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 10:13 AM   #3257
RuggedExposure
wandering the desert

Oddometer: 1,211
Finally done:

Border Road 100 Border Road Rally Raid
'13 Husky Terra 650, '08 Kawasaki Meanstreak 1600, '95 DR350S
RuggedExposure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 10:47 AM   #3258
kawagumby
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 764
Adv Grifter,
That tube looks compressed, kinda like the tube was pinched between the rimlock and the tire.
Old 08-19-2013, 10:53 AM   #3259
George 99
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 770
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawagumby View Post
Adv Grifter,
That tube looks compressed, kinda like the tube was pinched between the rimlock and the tire.
That was my thought as well. I've pinched enuff tubes over the years to recognize the symptoms.
Old 08-19-2013, 11:32 AM   #3260
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,091
Quote:
Originally Posted by hasenpfeffer View Post
Glad to hear you made it up there. Maybe we can ride again sometime, I had a lot of fun.
Glad you enjoyed that ride, those are good people. You did great for being on a Strada with street tires!
That was a good ride, even if I had to leave the slower dirt part for a while - backtrack to a faster spot and get some air moving. I thought I'd pull in and burp it at Rustic, but it wasn't hot after coming down off the hill....and it made it to Walden, then the rest of the way with no issues.

On the way back yesterday it was chilly enough at altitude that it ran cool until I hit the front range, then it started running hot enough that I expected to see the overtemp light - but didn't.
I cleaned and unloaded the bike yesterday, will pop the radiator cap and run it to temperature and see how much air bubbles up.

The strange part was that on the fast climb up Pennock Pass it didn't get hot when I was in lower gears giving it the beans... but on the way down where it was steep enough you didn't want too much speed, and when we were behind some cars and and had to run slow - it did.

At Rustic I ran into Paul, Mark, and Rob - taking the technical stuff on small bikes. They were on their way out again and they never made it to camp - Paul drowned his KTM 500 on Green Ridge and they spent the night up there....good report in Rockies
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 12:12 PM   #3261
Tourniquet
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
Does the terra need to be continually burped? Or will it eventually get all the air out?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
Tourniquet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 01:38 PM   #3262
hasenpfeffer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 165
Hard to really tell, but from what I've read it seems it straightens itself out after once or twice.
hasenpfeffer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 02:27 PM   #3263
wingnut11
generally strange

Oddometer: 662
Quote:
Originally Posted by RuggedExposure View Post
Finally done:
Nice work! Have you thought about drilling holes in those crossbars and welding some nuts or threaded inserts on the bottom. The idea being mounting a top box, rotopax, or something else?
Old 08-19-2013, 02:43 PM   #3264
RuggedExposure
wandering the desert

Oddometer: 1,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut11 View Post
Nice work! Have you thought about drilling holes in those crossbars and welding some nuts or threaded inserts on the bottom. The idea being mounting a top box, rotopax, or something else?
That's the intentions of those cross straps. I'm leaving the drilling up to the end consumer, whether they want to mount a Rotopax, luggage plate or box. I would drill the holes for the Rotopax, but some people may want it closer to the seat or further back so there is room for a tool bag between the Rotopax and passenger seat.

Border Road 100 Border Road Rally Raid
'13 Husky Terra 650, '08 Kawasaki Meanstreak 1600, '95 DR350S
RuggedExposure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 05:35 PM   #3265
wingnut11
generally strange

Oddometer: 662
That's what I thought, but figured it wouldn't hurt to ask. Too bad I'm going to miss the boat on getting one of these bikes new, but maybe I'll be looking for a used one in a couple more years.
Old 08-19-2013, 06:17 PM   #3266
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,091
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourniquet View Post
Does the terra need to be continually burped? Or will it eventually get all the air out?
I did the first burp of mine a few months ago, after riding back from Santa Fe and doing the last 200 miles on interstate at 80mph. It didn't get hot until I was a stone's throw from the house.... and the overtemp light never came on on my bike, it just ran several bars hotter on the temp gauge.

Once burped it's run steady at the bars being under the "tens place" on the trip odometer (if the odo reads 123.4 miles, the LED bar graph is normally underneath the two, sometimes the three in hot weather in traffic.
This weekend it got over to the tenths place (.4) and the overtemp light came on a couple times.

Then it didn't do it again and ran to the decimal the rest of the weekend until I got into the heat of the front range and it got hotter.

I was pretty sure a single burp would take care of it - and don't expect it will be a regular thing, as this weekend's occurrence was strangely inconsistent.
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 06:16 AM   #3267
Tourniquet
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
Yea I think that is about how mine runs when it is happy - I will have to check the number of bars.

I burped it once and the temp was much cooler, then it would start spurting out of the reservoir cap occasionally, and after a week of that it heated up really quickly one morning. I stopped and filled up the radiator and the resevoir and it cooled down, but now the same thing - reservoir is pissing out fluid and the temps are creeping up.

I guess I just have air in the system that is forcing the liquid out until it gets to a point that it is not effective and starts overheating. Anyone have any secrets for effective burping?
Tourniquet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 06:36 AM   #3268
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourniquet View Post
Anyone have any secrets for effective burping?
On my Triumphs, I always leaned them over as far as possible, to each side, with the engine running. If I can, I'll rev the engine a bit, too.

If the burping doesn't stop, I'd be looking at a trip to the dealership. Let them deal with it, under warranty.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 11:29 PM   #3269
eca
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
This reflects my experience as well ... never a prob with a rim lock. I don't have 50 years riding dirt bikes ... but did compete in AMA Enduro class for 8 years. Made it to B rider, which for me, was a miracle.

I did, on occasion, ride a flat 10 or so miles to GAS/LUNCH before swapping tubes. OK with a rim lock as the tire sort of stays on the wheel

I guess modern rim locks are not the match of the older stuff? The KTM SE rider is an expert rider with decades experience and an excellent tech.
I doubt the install was faulty ... but I'm no expert on this stuff. Here is a pic of his tube (sorry, buddies crap Phone camera!)

Maybe he tightened Rim lock down too tight? Hard to see but there were several little skake bite type cuts and the indents were
very deep. HD Metzeler real rubber tube or some such.

Anyone use the Tubliss system? I've thought about it, all my previous bikes had tubeless tires and I'm not looking forward to a flat with tubes.

http://tubliss.com/
eca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 11:06 AM   #3270
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by eca View Post
Anyone use the Tubliss system? I've thought about it, all my previous bikes had tubeless tires and I'm not looking forward to a flat with tubes.
http://tubliss.com/
If you look around you'll find quite a few threads about the Tubliss system here on ADV Rider and other forums too.
Riders I know and respect had bad luck with Tubeliss and no longer use it. But was it just "bad luck" or is it the system? Not sure who has used Tubeliss for long distance, high speed road use in high heat riding a heavy bike. I believe the system was initially developed for OFF ROAD use.
On highway at speed, there have been some problems. Look into it yourself and decide. Google is your friend.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote