Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2012, 06:53 PM   #376
meams
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 631
for those wishing for a single exhaust on this puppy, see quoted text from the CafeHusky thread:

Quote:
Bill (BMP) got their Demo 650 today and they are already tearing into it to see about the single exhaust. I'm pretty happy with it stock and will most likely leave it that way for a while as i don't intend to do a lot of dirt with this. Just typical adventure riding / exploring as in finding lakes and stuff down gravel roads and 2 track.
meams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 01:51 AM   #377
SamM
Jeep Overlander

Oddometer: 1,469
Where is the fuel tank? Under the seat? That's what Kelly reported in his write up. I suppose that's good. When somebody makes a proper aftermarket tank, we'll be able to carry enough fuel for long trips. Especially, with having an extra 3+ gals under the seat.
SamM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 02:11 AM   #378
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer: 1,036
Isn't the Sertao heavier? (Just asking... don't know) Of course this has more power possibily at the expense of reliability; that'll take a while to know for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogre_fl View Post
Actually this bike and the Sertao really do compare closely with each other.

For the extra $1650 the Sertao gives you ABS, a wind screen, more travel, but skinner conventional forks and a 3 year warranty vs 1 year (maybe).

ABS is a $600+/- option, the wind screen is worth maybe $200 and 2 years warranty is worth +/-$800, about $1600 total

*Edit....I forgot the Sertao also has hand guards and a bash plate so maybe $200 more on its side.
rickypanecatyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 06:08 AM   #379
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,298
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickypanecatyl View Post
Isn't the Sertao heavier? (Just asking... don't know) Of course this has more power possibily at the expense of reliability; that'll take a while to know for sure.
Not sure about the weight, but for me, when comparing the two, the front suspension on the Husky is light-years ahead of what's on the BMW.

I cannot help but look at the toothpicks holding up the Sertao and wonder on what rocky trail I'd be finding myself stranded.
Old 10-05-2012, 06:39 AM   #380
Ogre_fl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,001
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickypanecatyl View Post
Yea, a little bit.
Assuming that each was done by the same BMW standards neither is correct, but hopefully comparable at least to each other.

The TR650 #408
Sertao #425

So 17# difference.
Ogre_fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 07:02 AM   #381
Ogre_fl
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamM View Post
Where is the fuel tank? Under the seat? That's what Kelly reported in his write up. I suppose that's good. When somebody makes a proper aftermarket tank, we'll be able to carry enough fuel for long trips. Especially, with having an extra 3+ gals under the seat.

I wouldn't get your hopes up too much on a "proper" bigger tank (vs a strap on the side or rear rack type).
Particularly not an affordable one or one any time soon.

EFI bikes are not like KLR's/DR's/DRZ's
Not only does the EFI make this more difficult, but so does the parameter type frame with the airbox located where the tank is on "regular" bikes

This bike holds the same amount of fuel in the same place (yea under the seat) as the G650/Sertao.
Ever see a tank for them?
Tourtech sells a 9 gal one..... for $2,600

The X-challenge with basically the same configuration only ever got the $800-900 great white whale Tourtech/Safari one.
The X-country never got one at all and it at least ran for a few years longer.

Safari might make one in time for $800, but I wouldn't count on someone like IMS making an affordable one.

Ogre_fl screwed with this post 10-05-2012 at 07:21 AM
Old 10-05-2012, 07:10 AM   #382
VxZeroKnots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,370
Quote:
EFI bikes are not like KLR's/DR's/DRZ's

I wouldn't get your hopes up too much on a "proper" bigger tank (vs a strap on the side or rear rack type).
Particularly not an affordable one or one any time soon.

This bike holds the same amount of fuel in the same place (yea under the seat) as the G650/Sertao.
Ever see a tank for them?
Tourtech sells a 9 gal one..... for $2,600

The X-challenge with basically the same configuration only ever got the $800-900 Tourtech/Safari one.
The X-country never got one at all and it at least ran for a few years longer.

Safari might make one in time for $800, but I wouldn't count on someone like IMS making an affordable one.
I have a fuel injected Husky with a Safari tank. They are <$600 to your door shipped, the ugly ass IMS one is $<300. They also managed to make one for the KTM 690 for <$800.

I think the aftermarket for this bike is going to be slightly different than it would for the BMW crowd, especially at this price point. I can get past the weight on this thing, and certainly realize the segment it is being marketed to but I really wish someone would take an engine like this or the WR250 and stick it in a premium chassis with premium suspension. 7.5" of travel with unadjustable damping? yeck.

That being said I expect and hope this bike is successful. If husky can generate good cashflow for BMW then maybe the accountants will let some of the more wild ideas come to fruition.
Of course the bike doesn't exist, this entire forum is here because the right bike doesn't exist but the right people do, and they make the trip anyway.
VxZeroKnots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 07:45 AM   #383
Ogre_fl
Beastly Adventurer

How many years did it take for safari to come out with a tanks for the EFI bikes?

The bikes all came out around 2008 right?
It took a few years before they made tanks didnt it?

Most of the back bone frame tanks like the Husky's are good looking, but the perimeter frame tanks like the 690 and the X-Challenge are hideous to me.

Its hard to spend $300 for something ugly, real hard to spend $800 for it.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:59 AM   #384
jon6.0
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 547
Nomad add on fuel tanks: http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/nom...ve-them.25929/

They have a 2 gallon universal that's designed to bolt or strap to a rear rack. That will be what I try to fit on my range limited Speed Triple.
Old 10-05-2012, 09:13 AM   #385
VxZeroKnots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,370
Quote:
How many years did it take for safari to come out with a tanks for the EFI bikes?

The bikes all came out around 2008 right?
It took a few years before they made tanks didnt it?

Most of the back bone frame tanks like the Husky's are good looking, but the perimeter frame tanks like the 690 and the X-Challenge are hideous to me.

Its hard to spend $300 for something ugly, real hard to spend $800 for it.
I have no idea on the timeframe, it is pretty unreasonable to expect them to have any aftermarket on a completely new bike overnight.

When it comes to looks you either want the fuel or you don't, yeah it sucks to have ugly farkles but you gotta pay to play.
Of course the bike doesn't exist, this entire forum is here because the right bike doesn't exist but the right people do, and they make the trip anyway.
VxZeroKnots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:58 AM   #386
SamM
Jeep Overlander

Oddometer: 1,469
I don't think anyone is expecting a bigger fuel tank anytime soon. And I don't think that an add-on fuel tank strapped between two hot mufflers is something I'm keen to try out anytime soon either. Touratech has been pretty good about supporting adventure riders by offering bigger tanks for certain models. They may support this one, since it's basically from BMW. If they're $2600 not many will line up for them though. I can live with 3+ gallons, if I have to and carry extra fuel with me. I'm not real excited about the fuel being under the seat. Just not a fan of that!
SamM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:25 AM   #387
nomad5326
Xventurous

Oddometer: 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_l View Post
I agree, not a TE replacement, but rather, a modern KLR.

I think it looks like a winner.

Nothing like the KLR. A modern (and what should have been) Dakar/Sertao. I own (3) Dakars and I think I paid around $4k for each (used of course). If this price tag is correct, you could drop just around a grand in suspension and protection farkles and have a killer adv tourer extremely capable offroad/onroad. Makes me sad that BMW (if they don't have something up their sleeves) have let the Dakar/Sertao continue w/known needed mods and let this bike come to market. Hopefully BMW has modern/lighter frame, larger tank, taller screen and fully adjustable suspension 650GS in the works....

nomad5326 screwed with this post 10-05-2012 at 10:53 AM
nomad5326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:28 AM   #388
nomad5326
Xventurous

Oddometer: 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamM View Post
I don't think anyone is expecting a bigger fuel tank anytime soon. And I don't think that an add-on fuel tank strapped between two hot mufflers is something I'm keen to try out anytime soon either. Touratech has been pretty good about supporting adventure riders by offering bigger tanks for certain models. They may support this one, since it's basically from BMW. If they're $2600 not many will line up for them though. I can live with 3+ gallons, if I have to and carry extra fuel with me. I'm not real excited about the fuel being under the seat. Just not a fan of that!

Sam, I have been running Rotopax/Wolfman luggage on my Dakar for quite a while and with zero issues. While I don't worry about gas onroad (easily 220-240+) , It's nice to have cross country offroad and esp riding Baja or w/buddies w/smaller tanks. These engines drink fuel through a thimble. An extra fuel bottle or rotopax should easily ease concerns of fuel is a concern. Either way, 0ne of those mufflers should be a CAT (same as Sertao/Dakar) w/very minimal heat if any. EIther way, w/sheilds (included in kit) there is no concern of excessive heat w/the tank...

BTW, having the tank low, under the seat makes for a very low CG balanced bike. I only wish someone would make a underseat replacement tank for the Dakar/Sertao for use when you drop the extra exhaust. If you look at the 800GS that space is filled and balanced w/extra tank volume.

nomad5326 screwed with this post 10-06-2012 at 09:30 AM
nomad5326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:37 AM   #389
Davidc83
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 454
You guys talk about bigger gas tanks. How many of you actually ride more than 200 miles before seeing a gas station? Really? I have a 2009 g650gs and get 200+ miles on it at 65mph when the fuel light comes on, 240+ miles at 45mph when the fuel light comes on-but it does have a 4.1 gallon tank. Even with the few more ponies the Husky has, you are still going to be close to 200 miles-heck I have a 600lb 800cc cruiser with a 4.1 tank that gets at least 200 miles on a tank.
You can buy extra fuel canisters you can strap to your bags/bike/seat which are made for hard cross country travel which cost lots less than trying to rig up a 3rd party gas tank.
Davidc83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:07 AM   #390
Davidc83
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 454
If the Husky's cans are like the BMW G series, the left one doesnt get hot. It is the catalytic convertor. I can place my hand on mine at any time during running and it does not get hot; very minimal amount of air comes out of it and it is ambient air temperature.
Davidc83 is offline   Reply With Quote