Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-30-2012, 07:50 PM   #766
modeselector
Common as muck

Oddometer: 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by krussell View Post
From the magazine reports, sounds like the gearing is the same between the Terra and Strada.

How difficult/expensive would it be to buy a 18/21 set of Excel rims/hubs and have a more dirt focused, ABS option?
modeselector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 07:58 PM   #767
infinitipearl
n00b

Oddometer: 3
My new Strada

Hey all. Just got a 2013 Strada last week. It's my first motorcycle, and I've put one sad mile on her so far, in the parking lot of my apartment complex. But this weekend I'll be hittin' the trails. Just joined this site, as my buddy and I plan on doing some adventuring together. He just bought a new G650GS. My other friend just bought a Yamaha XT250, as it fits her tiny body better. Not a bad way for all of us to learn to ride. Hopefully this link works, I didn't see a way to add photos. Cheers...

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=d5a4341513
infinitipearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 08:06 PM   #768
SamM
Jeep Overlander

Oddometer: 1,471
Quote:
I agree - I never wished for 6th gear on my DR650. It was geared down 1 tooth on the front, and I thought the gearing was perfect for everything I did, from easy off-road to 100kpm / 60mph 2-lane highways. I wouldn't ride interstate highways on thumpers unless there's a gun to my head (or perhaps in a cold rain, a warm meal, with a cold beer and a warm Wifey at home).

Wide-ratio tranny with 5 speeds is fine with me. 6 is important for lower powered machines like my WR250R, but the DR had enough torque that I never wished for more gears in the same spread.
+1 on that!

The 6-speed in my KTM 950 Adv is all but useless for anything but blasting down the interstate at 95+mph. My KLR 650 on the other hand could use a 6-speed transmission. The 6-speed in my KLX250S is very nice! 100cc more engine and the KLX would be better than the KLR.
SamM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:05 PM   #769
BMW-K
F800GS FTW!

Oddometer: 1,288
Quote:
Originally Posted by modeselector View Post
From the magazine reports, sounds like the gearing is the same between the Terra and Strada.

How difficult/expensive would it be to buy a 18/21 set of Excel rims/hubs and have a more dirt focused, ABS option?
That is exactly the question I've been trying to figure out. I think the key question is "How to fit an ABS ring onto a Spoke hub/wheel".

Seriously, that would be exactly the bike I'd want. ABS, 17/19" spoked rims. TKC 80's for the weekends... and shod a second set of rims for motard work.

I have a WR250 for lighter dirt work. I do however find the WR lacking on the highway.

IBA # 20880. STFU and Ride.
BMW-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:15 PM   #770
krussell
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 532
Quote:
Originally Posted by modeselector View Post

I don't understand all the subtle details, but internationally they are offering ABS in 18/21. I don't know why they don't offer it in the US.
Old 10-30-2012, 09:24 PM   #771
BMW-K
F800GS FTW!

Quote:
I don't understand all the subtle details, but internationally they are offering ABS in 18/21. I don't know why they don't offer it in the US.
The tire sizing isn't really that big of a deal. I mean, you can get Metzler Tourance's in that size and they are plenty good for street. It's the whole ABS thing that I want...only I want it with spokers.

Old 10-30-2012, 09:54 PM   #772
OldManSandman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Just stumbled on this thread. Terra looks like an awesome bike and at the price point I believe will sh*t kick KLR / DR sales... Thumbs up BMW / Husky, I might be riding one in the future.

Sandman
OldManSandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 10:23 PM   #773
mattomoto
2 wheels rule

Oddometer: 1,106
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW-K View Post
The tire sizing isn't really that big of a deal. I mean, you can get Metzler Tourance's in that size and they are plenty good for street. It's the whole ABS thing that I want...only I want it with spokers.
Grab a pair of BMW 650 GS/Dakar wheels off ebay/craigs. Looks to be the same hubs/carrier/rotors as the Terra. Bam, spoked wheels with ABS ring.
Old 10-30-2012, 10:32 PM   #774
CA Stu
Thanks

Oddometer: 46,861
Quote:
To keep the price low.
Old 10-30-2012, 11:01 PM   #775
BMW-K
F800GS FTW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattomoto View Post
Grab a pair of BMW 650 GS/Dakar wheels off ebay/craigs. Looks to be the same hubs/carrier/rotors as the Terra. Bam, spoked wheels with ABS ring.
FTW!

Old 10-30-2012, 11:23 PM   #776
modeselector
Common as muck

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattomoto View Post
Good call-did a quick search, readily available.
Old 10-31-2012, 01:38 AM   #777
FabOneUp
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
Help me to understand the love of ABS? Worst thing I ever had on a bike. Had it on a BMW F650GS, almost killed me a few times (on street and dirt), disabled it, never have it again. It freaked me out when I first saw my Terra with the back wheel speed sensor. If it would have been an ABS sensor, I would not have bought it.

There was the option on the GS to shut it off before you rode, but you had to be stopped, put the bike in neutral and push the ABS button down for three seconds. Every time you shut off the bike to take a pic, look at the view, meet up and see where to go next or whatever, the bike would default to ABS on....So...when you jump back on the bike, take off, forget to do the above ritual and you go bombing down a steep mountain slope and almost go off a cliff when the fricken ABS kicks in when you need it least! I don't even like ABS on my truck. I can maybe understand it for a full on street bike, but not these.

Another thing...I paid an extra $750 for this useless option. That's the same cost as an Arai helmet and a nice set of ride boots! Sorry, I guess I'm still a little sore about it.

FabOneUp screwed with this post 10-31-2012 at 01:46 AM Reason: More to add
FabOneUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 02:25 AM   #778
motorjon68
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 421
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitipearl View Post
Hey all. Just got a 2013 Strada last week. It's my first motorcycle, and I've put one sad mile on her so far, in the parking lot of my apartment complex. But this weekend I'll be hittin' the trails. Just joined this site, as my buddy and I plan on doing some adventuring together. He just bought a new G650GS. My other friend just bought a Yamaha XT250, as it fits her tiny body better. Not a bad way for all of us to learn to ride. Hopefully this link works, I didn't see a way to add photos. Cheers...

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=d5a4341513
Congrats on a very cool first bike! Please be safe and tell us about your adventures in Ride Reports.
Old 10-31-2012, 02:56 AM   #779
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadic View Post
Help me to understand the love of ABS? Worst thing I ever had on a bike. Had it on a BMW F650GS, almost killed me a few times (on street and dirt), disabled it, never have it again. It freaked me out when I first saw my Terra with the back wheel speed sensor. If it would have been an ABS sensor, I would not have bought it.

There was the option on the GS to shut it off before you rode, but you had to be stopped, put the bike in neutral and push the ABS button down for three seconds. Every time you shut off the bike to take a pic, look at the view, meet up and see where to go next or whatever, the bike would default to ABS on....So...when you jump back on the bike, take off, forget to do the above ritual and you go bombing down a steep mountain slope and almost go off a cliff when the fricken ABS kicks in when you need it least! I don't even like ABS on my truck. I can maybe understand it for a full on street bike, but not these.

Another thing...I paid an extra $750 for this useless option. That's the same cost as an Arai helmet and a nice set of ride boots! Sorry, I guess I'm still a little sore about it.
ABS improves every year, BMW is working hard on it with Bosch and other OEM suppliers. Have a look at the ABS module and tell us what version it is.

On wet streets in panic situations it can be useful even for very skilled riders. And if you don't like it, you can surely figure out a way how to disrupt the circuit. On the F800GS for example there is a plug under the seat that can simply be disconnected, or Burnsmoto makes a plug & play harness for it so you can put a switch on your dash.

Extra weight of the new modules is around 2 lbs so it's not a big benefit to take it off.

Tracker: https://share.delorme.com/LukasMatzinger
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 09:45 AM   #780
modeselector
Common as muck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM View Post
On wet streets in panic situations it can be useful even for very skilled riders.
Extra weight of the new modules is around 2 lbs so it's not a big benefit to take it off.
I totally agree with LukasM - when on the street, ABS can save your bacon during panic stops. Would be curious as well re: the ABS version on this bike. I can attest that the F800 system worked very well.