Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-31-2012, 09:08 AM   #781
Süsser Tod
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 876
Quote:
Originally Posted by modeselector View Post
I totally agree with LukasM - when on the street, ABS can save your bacon during panic stops. Would be curious as well re: the ABS version on this bike. I can attest that the F800 system worked very well.
There is just one little thing I don't like about ABS...

Not all of my bikes have it! And unless I could have it in all of them, save for the track bike, I won't get a bike with ABS. Getting good at braking takes quite a bit of time, adjusting your reflexes/skills and muscle memory to brake hard without locking up the brakes takes a lot of practice and experience...

And no, I'm not saying I can do it better than the ABS computer...

But if I get used to having the ABS computer doing that for me, I'd be lousier at braking, and a danger to myself when riding a bike without it. I've seen some of my friends, that ride ABS equipped bikes, have close calls when the ABS was disabled...
Süsser Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 09:34 AM   #782
FabOneUp
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM View Post
ABS improves every year, BMW is working hard on it with Bosch and other OEM suppliers. Have a look at the ABS module and tell us what version it is.

On wet streets in panic situations it can be useful even for very skilled riders. And if you don't like it, you can surely figure out a way how to disrupt the circuit. On the F800GS for example there is a plug under the seat that can simply be disconnected, or Burnsmoto makes a plug & play harness for it so you can put a switch on your dash.

Extra weight of the new modules is around 2 lbs so it's not a big benefit to take it off.
I sold the bike a few weeks ago so I can't tell you what version it was, but it was a 2007 standard F650GS. I did disrupt the system by unbolting the front sensor, folding it back on its own cable and taping it. It was like that for years. When I sold it I just took the tape off and bolted it back on. System was completely normal again.

I realize that it has probably been refined just like the motor of thenTerra, but it just will not work for me again. I guess it may all depend on where you live too. If it is a wet climate, ABS may be a real life saver, but drier desert climates and lesser populated areas with mostly dirt are maybe not the best conditions for it.
FabOneUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 09:47 AM   #783
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadic View Post
I sold the bike a few weeks ago so I can't tell you what version it was, but it was a 2007 standard F650GS. I did disrupt the system by unbolting the front sensor, folding it back on its own cable and taping it. It was like that for years. When I sold it I just took the tape off and bolted it back on. System was completely normal again.

I realize that it has probably been refined just like the motor of thenTerra, but it just will not work for me again. I guess it may all depend on where you live too. If it is a wet climate, ABS may be a real life saver, but drier desert climates and lesser populated areas with mostly dirt are maybe not the best conditions for it.
The 2007 F650GS is an ancient design in more regards than just the engine and ABS so should not be an indicator of current performance. Just look at what BMW was able to do with the S1000RR, where you can adjust traction control and the Race ABS to react differently (e.g. allowing rear brake slides) depending on what kind of tires you run, and it really works well.

AFAIK Husqvarna was also the first company to come out with an off road specific ABS that only regulates the front wheel on the TE449, not sure if that's the same system as used on the Terra?

Either way, I'd give it a thorough testing before judging it.
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 09:47 AM   #784
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Oddometer: 3,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by Süsser Tod View Post
There is just one little thing I don't like about ABS...

Not all of my bikes have it! And unless I could have it in all of them, save for the track bike, I won't get a bike with ABS. Getting good at braking takes quite a bit of time, adjusting your reflexes/skills and muscle memory to brake hard without locking up the brakes takes a lot of practice and experience...

But if I get used to having the ABS computer doing that for me, I'd be lousier at braking, and a danger to myself when riding a bike without it. I've seen some of my friends, that ride ABS equipped bikes, have close calls when the ABS was disabled...
I would have to agree with you... Computer assisted braking could be as dangerous as it is safe... :http://www.onewheeldrive.net/2012/10...g-the-purpose/
gunnerbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 09:57 AM   #785
big-t
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 472
Quote:
Getting good at braking takes quite a bit of time, adjusting your reflexes/skills and muscle memory to brake hard without locking up the brakes takes a lot of practice and experience...

But if I get used to having the ABS computer doing that for me, I'd be lousier at braking, and a danger to myself when riding a bike without it.
No wanting to turn this thread in to a hijack.....but,I love my ABS.Think of it as a silent pardner,sitting on your shoulder.Continue to practice your braking skills and stay proficient and when the day comes when you have a panic stop as you top a rise in the rain and some idiot forgot to put the cap back on his diesel tank and left a streak right in your path, that highly proficient silent pardner will already be working to save your arse.....Before you realize there is a problem...
big-t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:09 AM   #786
mrt10x
Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer: 3,187
oh goody ABS talk.. what kind of oil are you going to use in the Terra... what is the best 50/50 tire for the Husky?.. which air compressor will work best with the Terra?... hard or soft panniers... what is the best camera to use when on the Terra?
Old 10-31-2012, 10:28 AM   #787
jefmad
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 630
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrt10x View Post
oh goody ABS talk.. what kind of oil are you going to use in the Terra... what is the best 50/50 tire for the Husky?.. which air compressor will work best with the Terra?... hard or soft panniers... what is the best camera to use when on the Terra?
jefmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:56 AM   #788
RideAbout
Mentally Retired

Oddometer: 1,564
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrt10x View Post
According to the internet heros...
Oil: MegaSyth GP racers Edge 0w-200 only...or it will blow up
Tires: Only full-on knobbies or you'll crash horribly.
Panniers: "Everyone" that uses hard luggage will break their ankles.
Camera: Only HDR capable with multiple lens and tripod will do it justice.

Remember: "There are no facts, there is no truth, only data to be manipulated to get the desired results"
Old 10-31-2012, 12:33 PM   #789
rockycraig
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 259
question for strada owners

with the low fenders do you think thereis room to put on a set of tkc or heidenau knobby tires on and have enough clearance ? I have a r1200gs. with heidenaus and this strada would belike a mini version of that if the knobbys fits. let me know what you think?
rockycraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 03:11 PM   #790
mario33
Howling around...

Oddometer: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by krussell View Post
I don't understand all the subtle details, but internationally they are offering ABS in 18/21. I don't know why they don't offer it in the US.
To clear it up: Terra European ABS version uses 21/17 tire combination. 21/18 is a non-ABS version on all markets.

mario33 screwed with this post 10-31-2012 at 03:27 PM
mario33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 03:31 PM   #791
trapperj
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 464
More abs talk

So...will the abs function with either 17" or 18" rear wheel if the bike was equipped with abs from the factory...or will 1" difference spoil the abs ?
trapperj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 06:05 PM   #792
Calikatoom
Norcal Moto Nut

Oddometer: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by trapperj View Post
So...will the abs function with either 17" or 18" rear wheel if the bike was equipped with abs from the factory...or will 1" difference spoil the abs ?
1" spoils the ABS.
Calikatoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 06:42 PM   #793
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,487
Visited my local dealer today. Got to throw a leg over one. First thought was, that is a tall bike for a short guy and wow, it is harder to get off the kickstand then my F800gs.

More to follow.
Old 10-31-2012, 06:54 PM   #794
johngil
Reseda, CA

Oddometer: 3,680
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsatdm View Post
Visited my local dealer today. Got to throw a leg over one. First thought was, that is a tall bike for a short guy and wow, it is harder to get off the kickstand then my F800gs.

More to follow.
The bike definitely comes off the side stand like a full dress Harley.
johngil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 07:23 PM   #795
what broke now
Petroleum Brother

Oddometer: 1,172
"Oil: MegaSyth GP racers Edge 0w-200 only...or it will blow up"

Actually, Goldilocks Megamile will work for a little while if it's all you can get in the hinterlands. Be sure to dump and purge as soon as possible.
what broke now is offline   Reply With Quote