Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-02-2012, 09:55 AM   #811
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer: 1,036
Quote:
Originally Posted by rh2yadv View Post
My bigger question:

TAT-ready? Or, ready to ride large parts of the TAT, maybe having to detour around some of the trickier bits?

Thanks,

Russ
I think this looks like the perfect TAT bike... I've just done the Western half from Colorado on but don't think you'd need to detour anything. I was impressed when I saw someone who turned out to be an inmate here ride a fully loaded GS1200 on that pass (black bear?) down into Telluride but this should be fine!
rickypanecatyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 05:00 PM   #812
rh2yadv
Ow!

Oddometer: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickypanecatyl View Post
I think this looks like the perfect TAT bike... I've just done the Western half from Colorado on but don't think you'd need to detour anything. I was impressed when I saw someone who turned out to be an inmate here ride a fully loaded GS1200 on that pass (black bear?) down into Telluride but this should be fine!
What bike were you on when you rode the western half of the TAT?

I realize that a bigger portion of being able to complete the TAT (or any adventure, for that matter) is the rider's skill set, but I imagine some bikes are better suited than others.

I just finished dual-sporting my XR400, but I can't see riding a few thousand miles on it, at least not with the stock gearing.

It sure is fun near my house, though, exploring all the little side roads and unmaintained roads.

I'm just thinking a bigger (but not TOO big) bike would be more comfortable on a cross-country tour. Having owned a KLR650 and knowing what it's capable of, the TR650 seems like a good step up from the KLR.

Russ
Old 11-02-2012, 06:56 PM   #813
Jimo368
intrepid traveller

Oddometer: 132
More pictures please.
Jimo368 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 10:10 PM   #814
fastnlight
Repeat Offender

Oddometer: 62
They have the Strada and Terra at Ride Moto in Woodinville, WA so I took a trip north to check them out. They are both priced at retail and have been sitting in the showroom for a couple of weeks. I would be aiming more for the Strada but they only have a demo Terra so I went for a ride. I normally ride a big tanked and typically upgraded DR650 so that's my reference.

It really is smooth like they say and the presence of the bike is lower and smaller than mine. Feels lighter as well but I know that is not the truth. Shifting action is notchy on that fresh bike with neutral a bit hard to hit but I predict it would get better soon enough. Power comes on smooth and linear at lower RPMs and does not pull as hard early as my bike. Then you hit about 4-5k then a smooth rush comes on in a way the DR just can't. I would have to get used to the power delivery for sure. Feels like a smoother, slicker road machine and less like an angry geared-up tractor and I'm not saying either is bad.

Braking was very positive and a serious notch above what I am used to. I do like the ABS option which is one reason I would prefer the Strada. Switch gear felt good but I would have to figure out what to do with all that information. The seat has just enough width to work as is I think (I love 10 hour day rides).

The handling and responsiveness is quicker and more precise than I am used to and I like that. I did actually get off the pavement a bit onto some rough ground and the suspension felt plenty capable as an all roads bike at least.

The front wheel will come of the ground under throttle alone in first but it takes a little twisting. Highway feel was smooth and the top gear power was still responsive and pushed past 80 without trying hard.

Overall, I was not surprised by anything and all the the comments made on this thread have been solid info and helpful in my quest for a DR update.

Compared to my bike it felt:

-A little bit quicker
-More responsive to steer
-At least as compliant over moderate bumps (my suspension is not stock)
-Lighter and smaller in a good way
-Smoother and more composed in general
-Well braked
-More expensive of course

I have waited for the XT660Z to come over here and poured over the G650GS and Sertao plus the updated VStrom on the weighty side but the TR650s have the most pull for me now. I will have to weigh the differences longer but if this keeps up the Suzuki will have to go.

fastnlight screwed with this post 11-02-2012 at 10:21 PM
fastnlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 03:28 AM   #815
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Quote:
Originally Posted by rh2yadv View Post
What bike were you on when you rode the western half of the TAT?

I realize that a bigger portion of being able to complete the TAT (or any adventure, for that matter) is the rider's skill set, but I imagine some bikes are better suited than others.
I was on a KTM690E (9.8" vs 10.8" of suspension travel vs the 690R) with hard panniers, duffle (probably 60 lbs total luggage). Nothing came close to NEEDING the full off road potential of the 690. At the same time there were places I dropped the luggage, hid it, to be able to haul down single tracks spurring off the TAT and even to re-do parts of the TAT at a hardcore charge versus a leisurlely pace. (I wouldn't call what the loaded GS1200 was doing on the black bear descent into Telluride a "leisurely pace" - that was more like a intrepid, cautious, "let's get this over with" pace.)
There were many parts of the Western TAT that on the 690 it was almost as boring as freeway - the long dirt roads into Salida for example where having a smoother engine would have been nice. That's why I thought this was sounding like a good TAT bike.
Old 11-03-2012, 03:30 AM   #816
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Smoothness reference question:

Any owners ride a DR800 before and can compare engine smoothness? On my personal "yardstick" to date the DR800 has been the smoothest single and almost feels like a twin when doing freeway type riding.
Old 11-03-2012, 12:14 PM   #817
More CowBell
gotahave moreCowbell

Oddometer: 208
I test rode a TR650 this week. I was concerned about the 5 speed thing. At 80MPH it was dead on 5000 RPMs with no vibration. My 1200GS vibrates more. It has a big gap between 4th and 5th. It felt a little top heavy right off the side stand but after riding it felt better. I really like that bike.
Old 11-03-2012, 03:46 PM   #818
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,585
Quote:

Any owners ride a DR800 before and can compare engine smoothness? On my personal "yardstick" to date the DR800 has been the smoothest single and almost feels like a twin when doing freeway type riding.
I own a DR800 and have ridden a dakar 650. The dakar is smoother.
mousitsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 05:45 PM   #819
big-t
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 469
Quote:
More pictures please.
From todays 160 mile ride

Having trouble waiting for the 5k rpm warning to expire

big-t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 06:46 PM   #820
petzi-baer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
Quote:

Unfortunately it was also the heaviest. At the time I was interested in DR Big, the P/D version of the GS was lighter than the Suzuki. So why buying a single?

Petzi-baer
petzi-baer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 07:27 PM   #821
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,889
Quote:
Originally Posted by big-t View Post

Looks like a nice day to be out riding in Craig County. Where is the nearest Husky dealer up there?
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 08:18 PM   #822
big-t
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 469
Quote:
Where is the nearest Husky dealer up there?
I bought mine at Ridersville in Berkley Springs,but the latest rumor is Frontline in Roanoke has procured the franchise.They had no Huskys on the floor last week,don't know when the bikes will be here
big-t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 08:34 PM   #823
JTucker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,211
I'm still impatiently waiting for them to show up at Appalachian Offroad.

I can't wait to ride one.
JTucker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 12:23 AM   #824
fastnlight
Repeat Offender

Oddometer: 62
Some accessory info on the Aussie site now.

http://www.husqvarnamotorcycles.com....tent.asp?id=31
fastnlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 06:02 AM   #825
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryphon12 View Post
Regarding the side stand being too short: soft ground can be a problem, but so too can sloped ground. A tall stand that keeps the bike almost level is great on level asphalt. On a hill, however, the bike is too tall, and I've had mine blow over in a strong wind when on a hill on the side stand. It needs a big foot so as not to sink into soft ground. It needs enough "angle" to park with the side stand down on the uphill side of a slope. Hence, the compromise.
True, but that's what BMW claimed about their side stand on the R1000GS and they had to redesign it because it leaned too far over and would actually fall. (I used to own one of those and although mine never fell over, it was too weird and scary.)