Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-04-2012, 06:49 AM   #826
krussell
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 359
Quote:
Originally Posted by More CowBell View Post
I test rode a TR650 this week. I was concerned about the 5 speed thing. At 80MPH it was dead on 5000 RPMs with no vibration. My 1200GS vibrates more. It has a big gap between 4th and 5th. It felt a little top heavy right off the side stand but after riding it felt better. I really like that bike.

+1 on the 1200 boxer vibrating more. My GSA would bother my hands after a few hours in the saddle. 7ish hours in the saddle on my Strada yesterday, hand's didn't care. It's very smooth, in theory smoother than the other Rotax designs due to a lighter piston.

The gearing is the same as the BMW thumpers, I think of fifth as overdrive, it drops 1k rpm above 60.
Old 11-04-2012, 06:53 AM   #827
krussell
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by big-t View Post
From todays 160 mile ride

Having trouble waiting for the 5k rpm warning to expire
I crossed that line yesterday, it's fantastic, the engine likes to go. The thing is just getting started at 5k, the 5k to 8k power is sweet.
Old 11-04-2012, 07:10 AM   #828
krussell
Gnarly Adventurer

Some pics from yesterdays ride on my Strada. Total for the day was just under 300 miles, included a dealer stop for the 600mi service.

Old 11-04-2012, 08:19 AM   #829
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,320
So who owns or has ridden both 690 and Terra enough to make a comparison between the engines?

I always liked the idea of an "adventurized" X-Challenge but the tractor engine put me to sleep knowing what a powerful single like a 690 or my FE570 feels like...
Old 11-04-2012, 09:26 AM   #830
error cooled
anything but asphalt

Oddometer: 1,129
Quote:
Originally Posted by big-t View Post
Looks like the road on top of Bald Mtn..

How did the suspension do with the ruts coming up and off the mountain?

Some sections made me want better suspension on my WR250R.

error cooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:54 AM   #831
big-t
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 461
Quote:
How did the suspension do with the ruts coming up and off the mountain?
Bald mountain is pretty rough on both ends,so with the 235lbs it was carrying, not so well at the speeds I was trying to run.Standing up made a big difference.The bike handles great,The suspension just needs some work for a heavier rider.

Nothing new about that,every bike I buy has to have the suspension modifyed.I would imagine it would do much better with a 180 lb rider.

My first ride on this bike I tried to ride it aggressively like a dirt bike and was not having good results.Since I backed off to a more lesurily pace it has been a blast to ride. Each ride seems to get better and better.
big-t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:14 AM   #832
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 12,556
Quote:
Originally Posted by krussell View Post
I crossed that line yesterday, it's fantastic, the engine likes to go. The thing is just getting started at 5k, the 5k to 8k power is sweet.
Back when I had KLR, while on a ride once I swapped bikes with my buddy on an original F650GS. That thing was like a rocket (though the bike itself seemed a bit fragile). It's a great motor, and now that someone has put it in the proper chasis it looks like a real winner.

You can be Han Solo, and I can be another Han Solo...
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 11:03 AM   #833
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,070
It looks like a nice bike and sounds fun. The pricing is excellent.

Some concerns:

How well does it crash in the dirt?

Is anybody working on a 400-mile tank yet?

Can any significant weight be shed without resorting to expensive titanium parts?

How hard is it to get replacement parts at the dealer or online?

Is this going to be a bike that takes dealer techs several months to troubleshoot problems, like some BMW and Triumph models have turned out to be?

Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 12:04 PM   #834
dashmoto
Serial Tinkerer

Oddometer: 414
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kommando View Post
How well does it crash in the dirt?
Having seen one in the metal for the first time yesterday, I'm going to hazard a guess as "really badly". Bizarre bolt-on peg/brake lever assembly that hangs below anything else, and sticky-out, spindly pillion pegs that are welded to the frame.

www.dashmoto.net
dashmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 12:07 PM   #835
Mobiker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,359
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashmoto View Post
Having seen one in the metal for the first time yesterday, I'm going to hazard a guess as "really badly". Bizarre bolt-on peg/brake lever assembly that hangs below anything else, and sticky-out, spindly pillion pegs that are welded to the frame.
I looked at one at Gateway in St. Louis (couldn't get a test ride as it was sold). I thought the plastic body work that forms the radiator shroud (the horns? twin mini beaks?) looked real susceptible to breakage in a crash.
Mobiker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 12:44 PM   #836
Blaise W
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 555
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashmoto View Post
Motosportz up in WA state is working on a skid plate that should take care of the brake lever problem. However, I may go ahead and fab a lever that goes over the peg; I have a template now and am just waiting on the skid plate to see if it's really needed or not. Minor mod will be needed to the master cylinder rod too, but it should be easy.

Shift lever needs to be changed to a folding tip design. Good hand guards needed for the bars too. Maybe Cycra or HDB. My passenger peg brackets are on borrowed time. I will more than likey cut them off just beyond the threaded fastener, but not sure about that yet. The rear fender extension could use some trimming and I may use some heavy rubber mat to fabricate an lisence plate extension as on my other dual sports to make it less likely to get damaged in a fall. Cross bar needed on the bars; just weld one on. The radiators are pretty vulnerable, but the front fender is so close to the core that nothing can fit between. A guard would have to be in two parts, leaving the middle open to allow fender swing clearance.

Other than mounting a GPS, and some soft saddle bags (Wolfman) I don't see a lot more that needs to be done before doing some real riding.
Blaise W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 01:00 PM   #837
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,253
My first thought as I tried to untangle my foot from the rear rack, is why did they build such a tall bike with such short suspension. Turns out the bike has 12.8" of ground clearance. Should be able to clear a lot of obstacles you are likely to encounter. It is not a dirt bike.

I think this is Motosportz prototype skid plate:

Looks rather Husky. I dislike the weld on passinger pegs, but at least the subframe is a bolt on. Made of steel.

The Radiator will need protection.

400 mile range and taking weight off, will be expensive, I doubt there will be a market for a tank and really do not understand the reason weight loss is a priority. It is not a dirt bike. Nomad makes some tanks that will provide some miles to empty relief.

Getting parts seem to be a problem for all the Euro bikes as no one seems to keep parts in stock. I suspect/hope better with BMW than without.

My BMW dealer sells Huskeys so that should be good.
Old 11-04-2012, 02:20 PM   #838
Coffee
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kommando View Post
...How well does it crash in the dirt?...
If I were riding it, it would *excel* at crashing!

(sorry, I will crawl back to where I came from..)
Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 06:41 PM   #839
CCer
missing

Oddometer: 196
I picked up a 650 Terra from Long Beach BMW/Husky on Tuesday evening (they had 4 at the time, no Stradas). It's got 400 miles on it now so thought I'd share a few thoughts and a ride report of sorts. This bike replaces a F800GS and my other bikes are a Harley R-G and Husaberg FE570S, just so you know what it's being compared to.

My immediate impressions when first riding the bike in the dark of Wednesday morning on the way to work:
  • Start it up - sounds like a thumper, remarkably similar to the WR250R with FMF slip-on I had a while back.
  • Suspension is really stiff, especially the rear, sure hope it softens up. Gotta check the pre-load when I get a chance.
  • The seat cants forward a little, not a good sign. I've got really bad memories of the stock 800 seat.
  • Like everyone said, it's smooth (for a thumper) and what vibration there is is the good kind.
  • Steering is quick, so the bike feels agile. It feels small too, much smaller than the 800, which adds to its agile nature.
  • Air temp gauge seems to read high.
  • There's the flat spot coming off idle, just as others have noted. Can't just load up the clutch while adding gas, gas has to come first, if only a little.

Traffic is heavy on the surface streets to work, but no lane-spitting or even filtering for me, gotta get the feel of the bike first. I hate the break-in period of any bike. I'm wondering how few break-in miles I can get away with.

I commute to work on the bike the rest of the week, take the long way home on Thursday, up to Lake Hughes and down Bouquet Canyon. The road up to Lake Hughes is not in great shape, pretty rough in places, but has several miles of fun twisties. The suspension is still stiff over the rough sections, but I think it's getting better. I'm a little tentative, still not really pushing hard, just letting the bike break in, but I'm beginning to smile. The bike will pull from 2000 rpm but it likes 3000 a lot better. Down Bouquet, a much better road also with lots of twists, the bike really handles well, and the smile gets bigger.

On Saturday I have to go to Ventura for a funeral. My wife has to pick up her sister, so she says 'why don't you take the bike'. I love that woman. The 126 is a nice 4-lane asphalt highway over to Ventura, posted 60 to 65. At 70 the bike is still smooth, but I'll be looking for a windscreen soon, probably not the little one Husqvarna has shown on their site, I need just a couple more inches to take some wind off the chest.

The seat is working out pretty well, not causing any issue, but I'll take a look at what Seat Concepts comes up with. Bundy, if you're listening, I think the seat can be a little taller though the swale to remove the forward cant. Maybe a little less crown side to side. Don't go crazy with the width, I still care what the lines of the bike look like. Thanks.

After the reception, down the 101 to Camarillo, off on Los Posas, then up Potero Rd to the BMW shop in Newbury Park. I go in to buy an oil filter for the bike, they verify it should be the same as the BMW 650. The 3 guys working in parts all go out to admire the bike, joined by a mechanic from the back. Much admiration for the bike of course, what else would they say?

I could have gotten the filter from the Husky dealer in Moorpark, Tri-County Motorsports, where I bought the Husaberg, but I was afraid Vince the salesman would see me and the new bike. I would have loved to have bought the 650 from him, but they had sold theirs and once I made up my mind on Sunday, there was no stopping me.

I manage to get the pre-load down to the softest setting without a spanner wench (from 2 bumps up) and the suspension is definitely softening up now, but the expansion joints on the freeway still cause a little hobby-horse action. The 800 with its added weight could deal with them better. I travel about 140 miles on Saturday with no ill effects at all. It's still early, but I think you can do regional-sized rides on this bike. I wouldn't want to go across the country on it, but it's certainly doable.

This morning I decide it's time the bike got dirty, so go up Bouquet planning to go into the Rowher Flat OHV area via the fire road off the south end of Bouquet. The gate is closed, so go on up to another entrance. Not the nice single-track with a few dozen water-bar/jumps that zig-zags up the mountain, and not the steep, gnarly, 2-track hill climb that goes up under the power lines, but the easy fire road a half mile further.

Turning off onto the road, the bike suddenly changes personality and gains weight, feeling a lot like the 800 and not at all like the 570. Last weekend I had come down this road on the 570 in the opposite direction with Tuff Enuff and my memory is of a somewhat-maintained, pleasant fire road. Now I'm having to stand up to absorb the ruts and undulations of the road, I have to watch my speed so I don't over-cook the corners, and don't feel all that much in control. In fairness no one would expect the 650 to come anywhere close to the 570, but the difference is stark, more than I thought it would be. I had had this small germ of a thought in my mind that maybe the 650 was all I needed and the 570 could be sold to get the bike count back to 2, but that ain't gonna happen.

At the top of the ridge I get to see where I've come from, Bouquet reservoir down below,

and where I'll be heading,

Like always happens, after a while in the dirt you start going faster on whatever bike you're on, so by the time I get down to Texas Canyon and point the bike toward staging area 1, the bike has lost some weight and the pace is faster. It really is handling it all pretty good. It never blews thru the suspension travel like the 800 liked to do, and tracks nice and straight thru some minor whoops. Still, I'm only going at a moderate pace and working fairly hard to make it happen, The 570 can do its magic-carpet-ride thing through this section at a much faster pace.

I startle some pre-adolesants coming the opposite way, swerve right and sweep by them, an adult rider on an adult bike, spraying some dirt their way as the bike accelerates away.

The Rowher main entrance had a few inches of small rock spread on it a couple of months ago. On the way out the 650 manages to get into a thick layer of loose rock built up on the outside of a turn. The 570 goes thru this stuff with no drama, but the 650 immediately starts to plow right and left, another reminder of the bike's weight.

Coming out onto Sierra Highway, the bike returns to it former small, agile self. This is it's element. Not that it can't do dirt, but it has the limits you would expect given the weight and suspension.

Other thoughts:
The kick stand is a safety hazard - it is not engineered correctly. When you put it down it will stay down about 2 out of 3 times. The third time it springs back up. You cannot just put in down and lean the bike over, you must make sure it stays down. I learned this early on and only just caught the bike before it took a nap.

I really like this bike. It's not too big, not too small, ... I don't think I've bonded this well with one since the 76 XT500.

Well, if you've read this far and don't own one you're obviously obsessed with getting information about the bike. Just be done with it and go buy one.

Dale
CCer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 07:02 PM   #840
johngil
Reseda, CA

Oddometer: 3,646
Nice job, Dale. Hope to ride with you again soon. Maybe on the 630, or maybe even a Terra. Who knows?
johngil is offline   Reply With Quote