Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-2012, 06:01 PM   #931
gunnr
optimsm

Oddometer: 290
Looks like you're enjoying that retired life Mark..... Keep those pictures and updates of the TR coming. I'm wanting one of those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDogAdventures.com View Post
Fell in a big mud hole last weekend.

It was all that guys fault in the yellow helmet

BigDog
gunnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 06:21 PM   #932
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 7,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadic View Post
She said in all fairness, the Buell is very comfortable and if she had never been on it, then she may well have put up with the Husky not knowing any better. Her knees were just too cramped. She was constantly sliding forward and having to pull herself back. She was even getting a little cranky and that is not normal!
Do you think it would be better if the passenger part of the seat was more level, and the pegs were lowered 2"? What if the pegs were also moved fore or aft?

I'd like something at least as dirty/low as the DR650SE, but with similar space/power/legs to a DL650.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:56 PM   #933
FabOneUp
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kommando View Post
Do you think it would be better if the passenger part of the seat was more level, and the pegs were lowered 2"? What if the pegs were also moved fore or aft?

I'd like something at least as dirty/low as the DR650SE, but with similar space/power/legs to a DL650.
These mild mods should do the trick. Maybe add a jell or better foam insert while you have the seat apart too. Not sure what type of staple gun to use because the seat cover is stapled in a small valley all around the seat pan. My BMW was easy to modify with a regular staple gun. Lowering the pegs should be simple enough if you have fab knowledge.

Any mods made would be worth it. The bike rode extremely well 2 up. We went to the top of Pikes Peak. No excessive shifting, still the same great handling and lots of torque.
FabOneUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:52 PM   #934
HighFive
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,707
I got my first Terra test ride today.....I liked it.

Did not feel big & heavy to me. Just felt natural, well balanced, and solid. Wonderful motor. Power to weight ratio seems plenty fine.

Very long legs in 4th & 5th. I would probably drop a tooth on the drive sprocket to actually gear it down a bit for offroad work as a pack mule.

Weird....I don't know how....but that seat was comfortable, at least for the short time I was on it. I'm 5 - 9 with a 32" inseam. I was almost flat footed on both feet while sitting. My heels were slightly raised when evened out.

Hated the kickstand action (its one of those automatic flip-up type that won't stay down. Probably an easy mod to correct the pesky culprit.

Can someone tell me the wattage output of the alternator? The dealer did not kow.

HF
Athena Big Bore Project

HighFive screwed with this post 11-14-2012 at 08:57 PM
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:34 PM   #935
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,732
400 watts
Old 11-15-2012, 07:20 AM   #936
ezrdr55
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 337
Mark,

Rather than cut that spring stud off could you make a small aluminum plate with an offset hole that moves the mounting point of the spring a little beyond the pivot point? The plate would have a hole that fit over the existing stud, but I'll have to leave it up to you to figure out how to keep it from rotating. I think I've seen something similar on some other bike I own or use to own. Maybe it's on my XR600R? Stupid brain won't recall! Please get all this stuff figured out before I get mine in the spring. Have you done anything about the radiator mounting stud? I thought I saw an easy fix using a c-clip on the stud to keep the grommet from popping off.
Old 11-15-2012, 10:47 AM   #937
ezrdr55
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
I'm not wanting to use aluminum-------but you gave me another idea--------cut the old pin off------drill a hole for the new location and put a steel bolt in there------hook the spring to the bolt. That would be easy wouldn't it ????
I'll get something done today and post it up.

I don't know about the radiator stud thing ezrdr

BigDog

BigDog,

Maybe something like this: http://www.mcmaster.com/#spring-connector-studs/=k6d5yi

I saw the radiator issue here: http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/tr650-mods.28603/ See post #8 for the issue and then #22 for the fix. Other post with other ideas as well, but the clip idea looked good to me.
Old 11-16-2012, 09:46 AM   #938
ezrdr55
Gnarly Adventurer

BigDog's KLR vs. TR

BigDog,

I see a lot of comparisons being made between the KLR and the TR. Is it a fair comparison? If so, I'm really curious how you'd compare the KLR to the TR for travel on road (cross country) to get to the good stuff. I just completed the Utah Backcountry Discovery Route solo on my Wee-Strom and it was 4700+ miles (round trip from St. Louis) of awesome. My next couple of trips will be the Oregon BDR and the Washington BDR and I was thinking about trying a little lighter bike like the TR. I read about the RTW capabilities of KLRs, and I wounder if you think the TR would/should/could do that as well as the KLR. Right now I'm happy with the Wee making these trips, but if a TR can replace your 950 and the KLR then maybe it's a better choice for me as well. I'll be getting a test ride as soon as Gateway gets their demo in. Hopefully after a test ride I will be able to answer some of these question for myself, but in the mean time I'd appreciate and value your opinion.
Old 11-16-2012, 12:07 PM   #939
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer: 1,104
Quote:
Now your ready to go out and break your leg when you leave the kickstand down and go into the first high speed left hander.
But at least you won't break it in the McDonalds parking lot in front of everybody.

Disclaimer----------don't do this.

BigDog

Thanks for the write up Mark! I'm with ya on preferring to break my leg without a McDonalds audience! The certain shame far outweighs the possible assistance your audience might offer!
rickypanecatyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 04:13 PM   #940
DirtyOldMan
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,897
Anybody changed the oil in one of these yet?
Drained the crankcase, can't get the oil to pour into the filler, just sits there acting like its overfilled.

Looks like I got a qt and a half out of it. And the fresh oil is kinda cold.

13 650 Terra

96 R1100R

DirtyOldMan screwed with this post 11-16-2012 at 04:23 PM
DirtyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 06:10 PM   #941
DirtyOldMan
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,897
Thanks BD, that's a handy pc. of info to have. The owner manual is a bit on the light side.
On the upside, it seems to take 3 less wrenches to do an oil change than what it takes on my LC4.

Here's a pic of said oil line.

The oil looks new because it is. I ran the bike 50 mi. and dumped the oil just in case there was some lingering sputum from the manufacturing process. Yeah, I know kinda anal, but this is my first brand new bike in 10 years.
I'm glad I did because it looks like it may have been slightly overfilled at setup. I'm measuring what comes out carefully and got a full qt and a half from the bottom drain with it fresh in from a ride hot. It was about an hour later that I read your post and opened the "T" drain. Not sure how much will drain out overnight but it looked like a qt in the bucket already.

Turns out, the oil change plug and the rear axle nut are the same 24mm.

Anybody get a toolkit? I forgot to ask when I picked it up.
Looks like a bunch of torx fasteners.

I got on the Motosportz skid plate list today also. They say it ain't gonna be cheap but I'm sure it will be a dang sight cheaper than knocking that oil line off the bottom of the motor.

Thanks again, I'll post up any new info I run across.

13 650 Terra

96 R1100R
DirtyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 07:44 PM   #942
JTucker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,270
We just starting getting Huskys at my dealer, no 650s yet but none of the other bikes came with tools kits.

Do these come with the flash drive manual like the other bikes?
JTucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:13 PM   #943
JTucker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,270
Quote:
Yes----I forgot about that thing----------but it has me confused--------seems it's the same stuff in the useless owners manual.
Or-----------I don't know how to use the thing. I"ve tried several times.

BigDog
I will have to check one out when I get a chance, I have yet to plug one in and see what's on it. I noticed the print manual was pretty sparse.
JTucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:20 PM   #944
krussell
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 532
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTucker View Post
I will have to check one out when I get a chance, I have yet to plug one in and see what's on it. I noticed the print manual was pretty sparse.
It's got a bit more, at least the parts of it that are readable. Mine was somewhat corrupt, I can get some pages, not others. Dealer says they same thing about theirs.
Old 11-16-2012, 08:58 PM   #945
AltRoute
AltRoute

Oddometer: 281
so they have the road TR - the dirt TR - now the oldies TR
Change the seat, tank, Acerbis side panels and lights - lob off the rear foot pegs - vola, retro baja bike

http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/bike...a-650-concept/

AltRoute is offline   Reply With Quote