Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-2012, 11:10 PM   #961
davorallyfan
Commonist

Oddometer: 15,451
Great info guys - you sepos are sexing me up and pissing me off.

My Terra Australis is due to arrive mid December... ready for summer.

BTW I had a Cee Baileys screen on my DR that worked a treat.
Old 11-19-2012, 05:53 AM   #962
CCer
missing

Oddometer: 197
nice day yesterday in SoCal out on the Terra

Off Soledad Canyon near Acton

Lake Elizabeth Rd in Leona Valley

Leona Valley

Vasquez Canyon

CCer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:52 AM   #963
blaine.hale
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,888
The Terras STILL have not arrived at my dealer, or even any on the east coast that I've seen.
I put a deposit on mine about a month ago and have just been sitting around, waiting. There's was rumor that they'd arrive the second week of November, which is realistically the third week. In the third week now and no word from my dealer, whom said they would call/email if they got a tracking number on the shipment.
1969 Bultaco Bandido MK2
2013 Husqvarna Terra TR650
blaine.hale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 03:51 PM   #964
trapperj
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 460
Test ride

I test rode one in Ringold GA. This past weekend. Most of what I'd read I'd agree with. It did feel heavier than I thought it would. Some of that is the kick stand angle I reckon...thats kinda your first impression of the bike while swinging a leg over. It does not feel heavy once your rolling. Quite the opposite.

The engine is quite for a single. In fact , at speed I think most would assume it was a twin if blindfolded. At idle theres no mistaking its a single. Down low it feels like most other single 650s...but becomes smoother and seems to come "on pipe" whenever the tach needle swings past 5K or there abouts. Really like the engine for highway use. I guess a counter shaft sprocket change would help in the woods and still slab good as 4th and 5th are high..high or that's how it seemed to me.

The sales guy there said they had sold 3. The demo wasn't for sale. Also said they were to get more soon including the strada. The bad weather up north in NJ caused a huge delay. The rep called to tell him not to expect anything soon.

I like the bike. It's a newer looking design than my 2012 KLR. My 17year old daughter loved the Husky. Wind and rain protection is much better on the KLR but thats no surprise..I suspect that when the aftermarket catches up they'll be lots of farkles. Until then ...a cool faring is only a WallyWorld and a box cutter away. Lol

I had thought about selling my KLR and buying one of these...maybe the one with ABS..then find a used set of wheels of a BMW 650 and having 2 sets of wheels ...with abs for my old self on the highway. I did like the bike. But I'd just got my new KLR like I want...suspension upgrades..led lights and SW motech bars...plus I was able to get the color I wanted. Black matt finish with black wheels...so I have decided to keep the KLR for now. If I didn't have a bike and was looking...it would be hard to not look hard at the husky. Although if you need parts...anywhere you sling a dead cat you can find a Kawasaki dealer...the husky not so much. The biggest strike against the husky IMHO is the dealer network. But I suspect that'll get better sooner than later.
My.2cents
trapperj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:28 PM   #965
ezrdr55
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDogAdventures.com View Post
Good questions ezrdr55,

I really see the TR in pretty much the same realm as a KLR----------that is a pretty good place to be-----I've always considered my KLR to be about the most dependable bike on the planet and is an excellent bike for easy offroad ----and running down the highway a bit----------------------------neither bike fits in the extreme offroad category.

I agree with your thinking -------doing the riding you've been doing------but maybe being a bit easier on the smaller bike. The TR I think would fill that bill-------------of course it'd be better offroad than the Wee-----but is really amazing on the road too----much more so than the KLR.

In a nutshell----------it's kind of an upgraded KLR-------and being a lot better on the road. Pretty big shoes to fill in my opinion.

Many people have judged the KLR and TR from an extreme offroad standpoint and have said a lot of negative things about them-------they weren't made for that and shouldn't be judged for that.

Gateway had one when I bought mine--but that was a few weeks ago.

TR--KLR---------both great bikes-------ones a little more expensive----but many upgrades. To bad most of the newer KLR's burn oil tho.

BigDog

Oh boy...BigDog your review may have just cost me a little chunk of change! YES! I've felt something was missing ever since I sold my '79 Husky 250CR a few years ago. It's even the same color as my '79. Now if Gateway would just get their demo in.
Old 11-19-2012, 06:39 PM   #966
William42
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,397
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezrdr55 View Post
Oh boy...BigDog your review may have just cost me a little chunk of change! YES! I've felt something was missing ever since I sold my '79 Husky 250CR a few years ago. It's even the same color as my '79. Now if Gateway would just get their demo in.
Try Hall's in Springfield, IL. They did have a demo.
Old 11-19-2012, 07:17 PM   #967
DirtyOldMan
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,875
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezrdr55 View Post
Donnell's in Independence has one, course you'd have to do 8 hours of "Interstate Hell" to get there.

13 650 Terra

96 R1100R
DirtyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 01:41 PM   #968
bully1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,886
Question for the owners

The twin exhausts, do the exhaust gasses come out of both mufflers or only 1, 1 side is supposed to be the cat converter, is this right or do the gasses come out evenly from both.

Just thinking about blanking off the cat side and turning it into a storage tube using the "muffler ' (although that would be illegal )

BTW like DRF, I'm getting a bit jealous of you guys that already have them, down here we are waiting with bated breath for them to show up, gunna be late December for the demo's and late January/Feb for stock
'92 R100GSPD ( modified)...........slow and easy
bully1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 04:00 PM   #969
yokesman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 441
just to throw something in on buffeting,try a run without those rabbit ears for mirrors, some place clear of traffic,my buell picked up air from the bikini fairing a did some wild things to it ,now a clean constant flow no buffeting. the aprilla mirrors available from american sport bike is said to be the answer, i like the bar ends and went that route.
yokesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:01 PM   #970
krussell
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by bully1 View Post
Question for the owners

The twin exhausts, do the exhaust gasses come out of both mufflers or only 1, 1 side is supposed to be the cat converter, is this right or do the gasses come out evenly from both.

Just thinking about blanking off the cat side and turning it into a storage tube using the "muffler ' (although that would be illegal )
Exhaust comes out of both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bully1 View Post

BTW like DRF, I'm getting a bit jealous of you guys that already have them, down here we are waiting with bated breath for them to show up, gunna be late December for the demo's and late January/Feb for stock
Well, mines in the shop, hasn't run quite right since I got it. One advantage to not being first is some of us that are will get the final quality assurance testing done!
Old 11-20-2012, 06:31 PM   #971
nomad5326
Xventurous

Oddometer: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCer View Post
nice day yesterday in SoCal out on the Terra

Off Soledad Canyon near Acton

Lake Elizabeth Rd in Leona Valley

Leona Valley

Vasquez Canyon

That windshield looks better and better every pic. Well done!
nomad5326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:48 PM   #972
gunnr
optimsm

Oddometer: 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDogAdventures.com View Post
Yep------I've been accused of leading many unsuspected souls down a bad road

And it's going on my next big ride with the Mobius crew.

BigDog
Leading me down that road too..... just waitin for Bills to get em in...

Can't wait for the next mobius report either..........
gunnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:01 PM   #973
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,475
I found a dyno chart!! http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/908/14...irst-Ride.aspx

and nobody wanted a pool "If there is going to be a pool, my money is on 48hp at the wheel"

2013 Husqvarna TR650 Terra First Ride Picture 2 of 9

itsatdm screwed with this post 11-20-2012 at 10:25 PM
itsatdm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:22 PM   #974
johngil
Reseda, CA

Oddometer: 3,680
Looks like a small bump up from my 630.
johngil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 12:07 PM   #975
DirtyOldMan
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,875
HP might go up a bit after break in. No matter, its plenty enough for an old fat man as it is.

On another note, I got to ride it at night finally and can report that the headlight is plenty bright, hi & lo beams. Every bit as good as my v strom.

13 650 Terra

96 R1100R
DirtyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote