Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2012, 08:59 AM   #1066
Aprilia
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 655
Looks like that skid plate design was farmed out to 3rd party newbie engineer who has never thrown a leg over a bike much less taken one off road. I'm sure Husky engineers are not happy but marketing guys can stand there and say we have a skid plate available! Pretty sad actually....
Aprilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:22 AM   #1067
big-t
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 482
Mark,

Can you verify the part number on the unit they sent ? They list several different units for the 650 line.

I spend a lot of time working with drivability problems and was aware of the lean "feel" first time I rode it but have been waiting to get a few miles on it before diving in. I was going to to hack the air temp sensor and do a Thermister mod,but I would really rather have a plug and play unit.

Thanks for the write up
big-t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:42 AM   #1068
isldtime
The oldest kid I know

Oddometer: 126
Used a Booster Plug on my Triumph Tiger 1050 and it worked fantastic!
Elemenated touchy throttle and 30 to 45 mph surge.
Old 12-05-2012, 02:03 PM   #1069
William42
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,562
Yo Big Dog

Thanks for the work and the write up on the Booster Plug.
Old 12-05-2012, 02:14 PM   #1070
Ogre_fl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,155
I wonder why they have 3 different model booster plugs for the X-Country, X-Challenge and X-Moto.

I thought all 3 bikes had identical engines, EFI, air box, ect...
Ogre_fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 03:02 PM   #1071
mario33
Howling around...

Oddometer: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDogAdventures.com View Post
Your system now runs about 6% richer..
Mark, does that mean 6% or 6 percentage points ? Coz that would be whole much of a difference...
mario33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 04:59 PM   #1072
mario33
Howling around...

Oddometer: 145
Quote:
The 6% was a number I got off their website----------there's lots of info there -----you ought to check it out----really interesting stuff.
Thanks for advice - checked it - really interesting indeed. Good read....And its 6% (percent), not percentage points that I was afraid of.
mario33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 05:33 PM   #1073
gunnr
optimsm

Oddometer: 290
Quote:
The best place to mount it is in the airbox for several reasons on this bike---although it doesn't have to be. As long as it's away from radiant heat.
In the airbox there is no way it can pick up radiant heat.
And on this bike it was much easier than running the sensor somewhere else farther away and maybe have the cable get pinched or chafed from vibration.
I drilled the hole very tight and had to push the sensor in -------now no sealant is required.
I wire tied everything tight so nothing is moving around and no wires are flopping.

BigDog
Hey Mark, thanks for all of your information here. I have been following this pretty close. I have been thinking to replace my 950 with one of these. I test rode a demo last weekend, overall I liked the bike for what it is. But the lean/stalling issue was there. So I am glad to hear about the booster plug and will be looking forward to hearing the mileage you are getting with it.

Also the demo bike had the factory skid plate on it and I had the same thoughts as you about it, cheezy! But it is better than nothing. I think it could be stiffened up some like Eakins said, but I'd rather not go that route. I would just build one. I do see Motosportz has his available now. It is nice looking and beefy but I would like to see more case protection in the front kind of like the factory plate. I sent Ricochet an email awhile back about if they were on board yet but haven't heard anything.

One more thing, Do you have any thoughts on radiator protection? Looks pretty open to mud and crap.

Keep it coming.....

gunnr screwed with this post 12-05-2012 at 05:47 PM
gunnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:15 PM   #1074
OldPete
Be aware

Oddometer: 4,700
BigDog,
Better mpg with booster?
Consider less pumping loss with more fuel.
Compressing a nearly full cylinder with weak/lean fuel takes more effort than compressing a partial cylinder with the correct a/f ratio.
While both may yield the same torque.
Running 14 to 1 will also keep detonation at bay because of cooler combustion chamber temps and lighter throttle openings.

Just a thought anywho.

I like the Terras and hope the rims are up to the build of the MotoSporz bashplate.

OldPete screwed with this post 12-05-2012 at 06:50 PM Reason: sp
OldPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:53 PM   #1075
Blaise W
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 667
Great work on the Booster Plug Mark, and thanks for the tip today on stripping things down. Just as soon as the "approved" plug is available, it's on the way.

The Motosportz plate looks appropriatly stout, I have my name on one, but I sure do want some wings up front for case and water pump protection as well. I guess they can be added locally unless Kelly will make some custom modifications. 'Glad to pay for it too. The cases and pump are just too exposed if you happen to be riding thru rocks, or fall just right. I don't plan on getting too crazy with the Terra, but things happen even on the easy trails. Rocks live everywhere!
Blaise W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:53 PM   #1076
Harder1
braaaap!

Oddometer: 59
Skid Plate

I have to agree that the Husky one sucks. I was hoping for some stout wings on the motorsportz plate. I'd pay more for wings because the design is stout. I guess we can wait and see what Altrider, Touratech etc come out with. It is winter afterall...Patience is the hard part!
Harder1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:10 PM   #1077
gunnr
optimsm

Oddometer: 290
I was thinking something along the lines like this. Touratech has this for the GS650/Sertao for less than $200. So I would think they will have a similar one for the Terra for about the same price.

gunnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 04:44 PM   #1078
K1W1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,569
I just spoke with B&B. At this stage they have no plans for a Terra plate because they have not had any other calls (not suprising seeing as the bikes have not arrived in Australia yet) but they will look at a plate if there is interest.

If you are in Australia or you want a real plate contact B&B and lets get them working on something.

K1W1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:11 PM   #1079
Blaise W
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 667
I think the Motosportz plate will be just the ticket to protect all that stuff below the engine and I wouldn't want anything less beefy, but I just may have some wings welded on similar to what Scheffelmeier Metal does in Germany. Have to play with it a bit to see what works with all the fasteners and such. Need to protect that water pump and other side case in case I go down in a rocy area. Just tipping over on the right rock would end your day.
Blaise W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:56 PM   #1080
tbarstow
Two-wheelin' Fool

Oddometer: 3,239
Here's Scheffelmeier's website:

http://scheffelmeier-metall.de/shop/...jD&shop_param=

I have one on my XChallenge and it works great. It was less expensive to get that one shipped from Germany than it was to buy the Touratech skidplate.
tbarstow is offline   Reply With Quote