Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-19-2012, 12:51 AM   #1231
gunnr
optimsm

Oddometer: 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by krussell View Post
I had one of the first Strada's to arrive here in the US, picked it up October 26th. It ran like crap. Stalled with just throttle input, hesitated below 4k with any sort of roll on. A huge disappointment.

The good news is it's all better now. Dealer took a while to get their diagnostic computer in and running, but finally were able to get it working and fix my bike. They were a bit vague, but apparently running resetting the EFI system and running a test sequence on the idle actuator? made it run a lot better. I put 75 miles on it on the way home and it's dramatically better. No stalls, not stutter, stumble, does not feel lean. I ran it down to 2k rpm in 5th, then just rolled on from there. If careful I can now just ease the clutch out at idle in 1st and get rolling without any throttle.

I was planning on the booster plug solution when I got the bike back, but there's no need. It's just fine bone stock after the reprogramming.

I highly recommend folks get their dealer involved if there bike isn't running right. See http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/mos...-awesome.29435
Glad to hear this. I saw your bike at the dealer when I tested the demo. The demo had that lean condition and it made me think twice about it. I wasn't sure if it would work for me. I do like the bike. I think it has a lot of potential.

Owners keep it coming..................
gunnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 06:27 AM   #1232
Dualsport
Maker of Sweet Cheek

Oddometer: 752
One of Husqvarna requirements to sell the 650, is buying their computer. Total mapping control can be done buy a tech that knows how to use it. The lean issue is a known problem, but is neccessary to pass EPA. Any addition of fuel is for "off road use only". So some dealers my be hesitant to do the "fix" and making themselves liable.

Take the service manager out to lunch.
Dualsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 06:37 AM   #1233
Xanthophyll
Dirt Roads of MN

Oddometer: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dualsport View Post
One of Husqvarna requirements to sell the 650, is buying their computer. Total mapping control can be done buy a tech that knows how to use it. The lean issue is a known problem, but is neccessary to pass EPA. Any addition of fuel is for "off road use only". So some dealers my be hesitant to do the "fix" and making themselves liable.
This is what's making me nervous about buying the TR650. Closest dealer is several hours away and sure as hell don't want to keep running my bike back and forth if an issue arises.
Xanthophyll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 08:16 AM   #1234
Some Dude
what attitude problem???

Oddometer: 4,675
Quote:

Take the service manager out to lunch.
You evidently haven't played with the service tool yourself? The interface for the Keihin equipped TR650's is nothing like IBeat where the bikes were severely restricted both mechanically and in the tuning software. The the TR650 all the dealer can do is re-set the adaptives which if the bike is assembled correctly at the dealership should hardly ever be an issue. The most important thing with the TR650 and BMW G650's is to not play with the throttle at all during start up and particularly do not twist the throttle prior to hitting the start button. Doing so will put the EFI into a limp mode which is not optimal. Upon installing of the battery for the first time, the TR650 should have key turned on and started without any input to the throttle what so ever, then let it idle until cooling fan comes on. Let it cool, start it up again and go test ride. By about the 3rd or 4th heat/cool cycle the 650's will typically run great. If for some reason the adaptives become corrupt, such as from starting with throttle applied or too tight of a throttle cable, then the service computer is hooked up and those adaptives are zero'd out and then do to adaptive process all over again. There is very little to any "tuning" available by the dealer for the TR650's, just diagnostics.
Old 12-19-2012, 09:56 AM   #1235
krussell
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 413
Quote:
One of Husqvarna requirements to sell the 650, is buying their computer.
While this may be the case, some dealers are selling the bikes before they have the computer. That's great if the bike works, not so great if the bike doesn't. Mine waited at the shop for five weeks until the computer arrived, got set up, etc. Once that happened fixing my bike was trivial.

If you want to make sure your dealer is prepared to take care of you in the event of an issue I'd make sure to verify they 1) have the computer, 2) have it set up, 3) have been trained on it. If they haven't you should consider if you feel lucky before making the purchase.

Hopefully this is a short term issue while the dealers get up to speed.
Old 12-19-2012, 09:58 AM   #1236
krussell
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnr View Post
Glad to hear this. I saw your bike at the dealer when I tested the demo. The demo had that lean condition and it made me think twice about it. I wasn't sure if it would work for me. I do like the bike. I think it has a lot of potential.

Owners keep it coming..................
Your welcome to try mine, I'm just across the river. It's a dramatically different bike after the fix.
Old 12-19-2012, 10:51 AM   #1237
Harder1
braaaap!

Oddometer: 55
Lean issue

For prospective buyers, I wouldn't let the lean issue hinder you. My Terra is from the "2nd batch" and hasn't had one issue. I've never stalled it, and it busts off some good wheelies out of second gear no problem. An added bonus is the kickstand stays down too.
It sucks to get a new bike in winter but I'm determined to get some more miles in. Just finished my heated grip install (with relay) lastnight and wired up my heated vest. I put bar risers form Motorsportz on and Fat Bars along with Cycra guards. MT21 tires go on tonight. I'm holing out for a beefier skid plate. Altrider and Touratech are saying 4-8 weeks...
I sold my 650 Strom and got this bike because I could do gnarlier terrain and have more fun in the burly stuff. I already have a single track bike. I feel like this is the perfect medium between the two. It's got a sweet engine and is butter smooth. The suspension is better than the Japanese offerings, and the CG is really nice and balanced. Also, the headlight is nice and bright too. This is a bike you can travel on and do some pretty rough stuff with too. But, I'd ride a Harley with knobbies on it if that's all I had! Overall, I'm really happy with this offering from Husky and I plan on having a hell of a lot of fun with it! Just my thoughts.
Harder1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 12:09 PM   #1238
K1W1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,462
I wish this thread would have more pictures of bikes and people riding them rather than seemingly endless theoretical posts about the ability or otherwise of dealers to service the thing.

What is new or different in the auto world (cars and bikes) about crappy dealer service that needs continual recapping?
K1W1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 12:50 PM   #1239
FabOneUp
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by K1W1 View Post
I wish this thread would have more pictures of bikes and people riding them rather than seemingly endless theoretical posts about the ability or otherwise of dealers to service the thing.

What is new or different in the auto world (cars and bikes) about crappy dealer service that needs continual recapping?
You are on the wrong site. At http://www.cafehusky.com/forums/tr650.28/ there are lots of pics and info for you there. More organized with pics and topics in designated categories. Lots more info too. This thread shows the true meaning to clusterf$&@ if you are looking for something specific. Great thread, dont get me wrong, just a lot to take in and find the specific info you want.

FabOneUp screwed with this post 12-19-2012 at 01:11 PM
FabOneUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 03:04 PM   #1240
gunnr
optimsm

Oddometer: 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadic View Post
You are on the wrong site. At http://www.cafehusky.com/forums/tr650.28/ there are lots of pics and info for you there. More organized with pics and topics in designated categories. Lots more info too. This thread shows the true meaning to clusterf$&@ if you are looking for something specific. Great thread, dont get me wrong, just a lot to take in and find the specific info you want.
Lots of good stuff over there. Hopefully more new owners will start adding pics and mods here.
gunnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 03:17 PM   #1241
K1W1
Beastly Adventurer

I have a test ride on a Terra organised for tomorrow morning. Apparently the actual sale stock will be arriving in Australia in January.
Old 12-19-2012, 03:49 PM   #1242
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 7,209
I have to ask, for you current Terra owners, is there any reason for that dual exhaust? Seems pointless to me.
Old 12-19-2012, 04:06 PM   #1243
K1W1
Beastly Adventurer

The BMW variants have always had dual exhausts but in the earlier European made versions one was fake. I'm not sure about what the status is with the current models.
The Terra seems to have two real mufflers from what I have seen.
I can only assume that it's there for EPA reasons primarily and perhaps a bit of styling as well. When you look at how big the single muffler is on something like a 650 Strom or BMW F800 a single muffler on a bike like the Terra would be huge in comparison to the lines of the bike.
Old 12-19-2012, 05:39 PM   #1244
OldPete
Be aware

Oddometer: 3,639
A 650 single is more difficult to silence than a twin or multi of 650cc.
OldPete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 06:11 PM   #1245
krussell
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by K1W1 View Post
I have a test ride on a Terra organised for tomorrow morning. Apparently the actual sale stock will be arriving in Australia in January.
Great! Make sure you take lots of pics and come back and post and let us know what you think. Be sure not to post anything about the potential purchase or any speculation and theory about the dealer relationship.