Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-19-2012, 06:16 PM   #1246
krussell
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 407
Quote:
Originally Posted by K1W1 View Post
The Terra seems to have two real mufflers from what I have seen.
Exhaust gas exits from both mufflers. One thing I noticed is that it spills right on to the turn signals, and leaves a bit of stuff. Not unlike the stuff that ended up on the inside of by GSA's left side case from it's exhaust.
Old 12-19-2012, 06:25 PM   #1247
Muddler
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by K1W1 View Post
The BMW variants have always had dual exhausts but in the earlier European made versions one was fake. I'm not sure about what the status is with the current models.
The Terra seems to have two real mufflers from what I have seen.
I can only assume that it's there for EPA reasons primarily and perhaps a bit of styling as well. When you look at how big the single muffler is on something like a 650 Strom or BMW F800 a single muffler on a bike like the Terra would be huge in comparison to the lines of the bike.
The X-challenge had a single muffler on the same motor. It was a big heavy f----r and very hot. Do the dual muffler systems run a bit cooler?
Muddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 10:46 PM   #1248
davorallyfan
Commonist

Oddometer: 15,332
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harder1 View Post
For prospective buyers, I wouldn't let the lean issue hinder you. My Terra is from the "2nd batch" and hasn't had one issue. I've never stalled it, and it busts off some good wheelies out of second gear no problem. An added bonus is the kickstand stays down too.
It sucks to get a new bike in winter but I'm determined to get some more miles in. Just finished my heated grip install (with relay) lastnight and wired up my heated vest. I put bar risers form Motorsportz on and Fat Bars along with Cycra guards. MT21 tires go on tonight. I'm holing out for a beefier skid plate. Altrider and Touratech are saying 4-8 weeks...
I sold my 650 Strom and got this bike because I could do gnarlier terrain and have more fun in the burly stuff. I already have a single track bike. I feel like this is the perfect medium between the two. It's got a sweet engine and is butter smooth. The suspension is better than the Japanese offerings, and the CG is really nice and balanced. Also, the headlight is nice and bright too. This is a bike you can travel on and do some pretty rough stuff with too. But, I'd ride a Harley with knobbies on it if that's all I had! Overall, I'm really happy with this offering from Husky and I plan on having a hell of a lot of fun with it! Just my thoughts.
I rode the demonstrator today ...a pleasant 29c I might add. No weird idling, no the sidestand did not twang back and drop the bike. After being a long term DR and XT rider (all modded) I think the suspension is better than the jap offerings too. The motor was still tight on the one I rode.

Mine arrives in a day or two so Ill get to strop it around some dirt roads in the Brindabella Ranges.

Old 12-20-2012, 12:00 AM   #1249
FabOneUp
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
The duel exhaust pipes look like a fast easy way to remove weight, and it is. But after you ride and own the bike, you will most likely look for other ways to loose weight.

The pipes run hot, flow well, sound fantastic, and are damn sexy! The cans look to be as light as they can be without being carbon. I personally would not want to make any changes that could in any way effect the performance of this engine.
FabOneUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 12:20 AM   #1250
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,192
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldPete View Post
A 650 single is more difficult to silence than a twin or multi of 650cc.
You can still use one pipe it will just be larger than 2 smaller ones.
It's a design/balance element i'd say more than anything else.
Yes BMW does the look too, but Husky is also competing for sales from the 660 Tenere elsewhere in the world. The bike was not gonna be super light so why not go for some style.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 12:24 AM   #1251
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadic View Post
The duel exhaust pipes look like a fast easy way to remove weight, and it is. But after you ride and own the bike, you will most likely look for other ways to loose weight.

The pipes run hot, flow well, sound fantastic, and are damn sexy! The cans look to be as light as they can be without being carbon. I personally would not want to make any changes that could in any way effect the performance of this engine.
where are the cat converters? in the pipe themself or inline in the headers.
that's what make pipes hot along with the lean factory map.
has anyone taken pipe temps with and w/o the booster box?
more fuel might cool things down but then the cat converters might work harder.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 12:57 AM   #1252
gunnr
optimsm

Oddometer: 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadic View Post
Yeah maybe the weight loss is the rider????
gunnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 01:08 AM   #1253
gunnr
optimsm

Oddometer: 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by davorallyfan View Post
I rode the demonstrator today ...a pleasant 29c I might add. No weird idling, no the sidestand did not twang back and drop the bike. After being a long term DR and XT rider (all modded) I think the suspension is better than the jap offerings too. The motor was still tight on the one I rode.

Mine arrives in a day or two so Ill get to strop it around some dirt roads in the Brindabella Ranges.

Thanks for your pics.....Post some more when you get your Terra. I will do the same soon.
gunnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 07:25 AM   #1254
gomerkfx700
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
i have truly fell for this bike. i love the engine i have friends who race atvs can-am ds650 it has the rotax 650 and have seen this motor take some major abuse. much more than what a duel sport bike ridden by the average person would ever throw out at one. it also has the potential to go as big as a 865+ may not be very reliable at that level but its tranny and clutch still holds up nicely even with a large hit of nitrous on top of 90 rear wheel hp. but i cant tell from any of the pics does the head have a duel exhaust ports exiting the head? also does it have duel intake ports. there are several companys that makes cams, big bores, stroker cranks, and high comp pistons, for the atv that should work in this bike also there is big bore cylinders for the atv that are 105mm bore that takes the bike up to a 730cc. more research on weather these parts will work is needed but i would think that it would by what i have seen it seems like the same engine. also i found this on my closest dealers website.
http://www.frontlineeurosports.com/2...Type=1787&fm=1
look at the weight without the abs i dont know if this is just a messup on there part or what but that is not a bad weight for the seat height i dont think but i am 6.4 350lbs. my former bike was a xt600 lovely bike i rode it more as a trail bike then street. With its high gas tank and seemingly higher seat height it was top heavy i think that with the under seat tank the weight of the tr650 should be less apparent because of the low center of gravity.
gomerkfx700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 08:12 AM   #1255
Some Dude
what attitude problem???

Oddometer: 4,675
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomerkfx700 View Post
i have truly fell for this bike. i love the engine i have friends who race atvs can-am ds650 it has the rotax 650 and have seen this motor take some major abuse. much more than what a duel sport bike ridden by the average person would ever throw out at one. it also has the potential to go as big as a 865+ may not be very reliable at that level but its tranny and clutch still holds up nicely even with a large hit of nitrous on top of 90 rear wheel hp. but i cant tell from any of the pics does the head have a duel exhaust ports exiting the head? also does it have duel intake ports. there are several companys that makes cams, big bores, stroker cranks, and high comp pistons, for the atv that should work in this bike also there is big bore cylinders for the atv that are 105mm bore that takes the bike up to a 730cc. more research on weather these parts will work is needed but i would think that it would by what i have seen it seems like the same engine. also i found this on my closest dealers website.
http://www.frontlineeurosports.com/2...Type=1787&fm=1
look at the weight without the abs i dont know if this is just a messup on there part or what but that is not a bad weight for the seat height i dont think but i am 6.4 350lbs. my former bike was a xt600 lovely bike i rode it more as a trail bike then street. With its high gas tank and seemingly higher seat height it was top heavy i think that with the under seat tank the weight of the tr650 should be less apparent because of the low center of gravity.
Single exhaust port and single intake, while this is very similar to the current Rotax singles, they are not completely the same engine, pretty sure there would be quite a few differences in everything from cams to cranks but not absolutely positive of that.
Old 12-20-2012, 08:29 AM   #1256
gomerkfx700
Adventurer

It be interesting to know what would interchange be nice if the big bore cylinders would they had improved water jackets over the stock cylinder and was super dependable. And made a drastic improvement in power it sounds like the different head and cam is a good setup based on my buddys quad the 730 with stock head and very large cam and a few other parts made 58 rwhp and good tq but i will have to cheek on the #s for that i cant remember. But based on the stock quad numbers of high 30 rwhp it responded great to the big bore and was raced for 3 years and was never apart for a repair.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:12 AM   #1257
farp
DualsportBC Rider

Oddometer: 60
A week or so ago Big Dog posted advice about how to disable the sidestand switch. He said that all you have to do is cut the three wires leading to the switch, twist two of them together and leave the third disconnected. Does anybody remember/know which two wires you twist together?

Incidently, I went to his web site to try to find the info but my anti-virus software (Bitdefender) reported that his site was infected and refused to connect me. Perhaps Big Dog will come back after he gets his site problems fixed - I sure hope so. Big Dog had posted a lot of valuable and interesting comment about the Terra, it would be a shame if we lose his input.

John
farp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 09:48 AM   #1258
Blaise W
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 625
I didn't get a virus report, but I did notice that he took down the Terra build up. Now I know why. My recollection is that you disregard the center wire and put the others together. I'll be doing the same in the garage before the switch fails.

As for the weight, lighter is always better when it comes to picking up if the bike takes a nap, but the weight helps on the highway. The twin pipes look very good to me and I doubt any change will happen there on my bike. Once I get some racks made up for my Wolfman bags there may not be space for a larger can anyway. I would pull the cats though, if someone figures out how to do it easily. The one spot that will get addressed is the battery as a lithium ion unit will save a good bit of weight up high.
Blaise W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 10:36 AM   #1259
gomerkfx700
Adventurer

how does the bike handle offroad use with the a more appropriate tire. im not talking about hill climbs of jumping doubles just cruzing threw he woods in the muddy trail with humbs and bumps at a decent clip of speed.
Old 12-20-2012, 10:52 AM   #1260
FabOneUp
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnr View Post
Yeah maybe the weight loss is the rider????
Do these pipes make me look fat???
FabOneUp is offline   Reply With Quote